DC Universe Classics Wave 15 Revealed - And Coming To Kmart First

JayC

Overall, this is a wave of very very nice figures of characters that ...with the exception of about three... I could easily have done without. I'm a little disappointed that aside from the C&C figure, the only bad guy in this wave is a variation of Batman.

The Martian Manhunters: The regular Martian Manhunter looks perfectly fine. I like how his red straps look to be a separate piece. Here though we probably have one of the dumbest variants yet. I'm going to need more than a lemon sucking expression to really want to drop sixteen bucks on a second MM.

Raven: I've been on the fence about which Raven I'd prefer. I always prefer the Perez version of the Titans but I expect the modern Raven would be an easier figure to make and doesn't have the awkward prohibitive cape issues that could turn this figure into a cumbersome statue.

Classic Starman: Being a big JSA fan, this is my favorite of the wave and the one I'm looking forward to the most. I expected the 4H to continue their streak of JSA home runs (Yeah. I wish Alan Scott would close his mouth but otherwise I'm very happy with that figure.) with this one and they didn't disappoint!

Jack Knight: I liked the Jack Knight Starman comics but I really didn't need a figure of him. To me, he looks like a comic book fan of the 90's and visually I always thought he was very unimpressive which is very consistent with the tone of his comics but he wasn't going to make a very impressive action figure. Having said that, this is a very nice figure. The cosmic rod alone could make this figure worth while.

Omac: Yeesh! This thing looks ridiculous! I guess it's comic accurate if a bit on the puny side. Doesn't OMAC use a gun? Those closed fists aren't going to allow him to hold one. As I've said before, I hope the 4H exhaust their Kirby love affair. I would've preferred another New God over this gaudy beast.

Jemm: Being a kid of the 80's, I was all over the Vigilante and Blue Devil, but Jemm might be pumping that 80's well just a little too much. Are Night Force figures next? This guy was nowhere on my wish list, but I do have to say, if you're going to make Jemm, this is what you want him to look like. A nice figure of a character I have zero interest in.

SC Batman: If Mattel really wanted to save a few bucks by re-using that Batman mold yet again, then they really should've gone with Catman here. Catman has been often requested and they might even have been able to use that snarling Batman head they put on this thing. As it stands, this is a weak miscolored figure of a version of a Batman cameo no one really wanted. I have no interest in this one. My Sinestro Corps can do without this guy.

Golden Pharoah: I love the Super Powers line but I didn't like this guy when he was in Super Powers let alone here. Yes. He's a neat looking character and honestly a spectacular figure, but it's a slot that could've gone to many, many figures I would've preferred over this guy.

Validus: Wow! I know people are complaining about the re-use of the Kilowog body, thigh cuts, and the size of this guy, but I throw all that whining out the window. I'm stunned that we're getting Validus this soon. He looks great and might just surpass Kilowog as my favorite C&C yet. It's too bad he's in a wave where I could easily pass up about four of the figures!

Very will done Spider. heehee

I don't know how anyone could pass on Golden Pharaoh, he looks amazing, they even gave him a slight gold shine sort of like the Persian King in '300'. He is going to make a great foil to Black Adam, I hope they make a whole backstory that ties him to Eygpt and the Marvel's despite his powers coming from the New Gods.

What comic did he first appear in? soupson.gif

I'd rather get a real comic character than this weirdo.

He didn't appear in any comic, that doesn't make him any less cool. Look at Goddess or Tytus from MOTUC...neither were part of the figure series. What is so weird about him? Why is he so bad? I don't understand the hate or dislike from a character because he didn't appear in any of the comic books.

I don't know how anyone could pass on Golden Pharaoh, he looks amazing, they even gave him a slight gold shine sort of like the Persian King in '300'. He is going to make a great foil to Black Adam, I hope they make a whole backstory that ties him to Eygpt and the Marvel's despite his powers coming from the New Gods.

He didn't appear in any comic, that doesn't make him any less cool. Look at Goddess or Tytus from MOTUC...neither were part of the figure series. What is so weird about him? Why is he so bad? I don't understand the hate or dislike from a character because he didn't appear in any of the comic books.

Judging by your handle you're a big Superpowers fan, so I can understand why you think it's cool. I do kinda think it's cool that DCUC is paying homage to the old line of toys. However, I think there are many people who didn't grow up with the Superpowers line of toys, such as myself, and think Golden Pharaoh or Cyclotron are taking up a spot that could've been given to a DC character they're actually familiar with based on the comics. Also, why pay money for a figure that isn't canon? Golden Pharaoh will probably contain the figure stand, so at least there's the option of not picking it up.

With each passing wave I recognize fewer and fewer characters. I will still pick up all the figs to build the BAF tho.

finaly manhunter comes to complete my justice league. all in all the wave looks great. 2 things i am a bit dissapointed with.

1) sinestro corps batman. not because i dont like the figure. it looks cool but they totaly missed the bat symbol on the outfit. i would have loved if he looked like the one in the comic. in the comic it seems like they wanted to make the design of the corps yellow suit look like a bat. the bat symbol batman has on his chest seems to be on the entire upper body. maybe i can repaint that.

2)omac. boring. this old figure is so out of date. i realy prefer the new one. when i heard the rumors about this wave i was so happy to get omac but when i saw this old boring fig this morning, i was dissapointed a bit.

love all the others. even pharao. i dont even know half of them but i those are so amazing. modern starman has a great style for even other figs. maybe for a civil hal jordan figure. you know brown jacket and some jeans. mattel go on like this and i buy everything that comes.

finaly manhunter comes to complete my justice league. all in all the wave looks great. 2 things i am a bit dissapointed with.

1) sinestro corps batman. not because i dont like the figure. it looks cool but they totaly missed the bat symbol on the outfit. i would have loved if he looked like the one in the comic. in the comic it seems like they wanted to make the design of the corps yellow suit look like a bat. the bat symbol batman has on his chest seems to be on the entire upper body. maybe i can repaint that.

2)omac. boring. this old figure is so out of date. i realy prefer the new one. when i heard the rumors about this wave i was so happy to get omac but when i saw this old boring fig this morning, i was dissapointed a bit.

love all the others. even pharao. i dont even know half of them but i those are so amazing. modern starman has a great style for even other figs. maybe for a civil hal jordan figure. you know brown jacket and some jeans. mattel go on like this and i buy everything that comes.

I'm not thrilled about getting a SC Batman, but since they're making one, they should've at least gotten the bat symbol on the outfit. I'm fine with his outfit being yellow since that's the general motif. I could believe that the outfit that Batman was wearing in that one panel was incomplete.

Oh and for those that don't read an article completely before the b tch and moan:

WAVE 15 WILL BE EXCLUSIVE TO KMART FOR THE FIRST FEW MONTHS, THEN WILL BE RELEASED IN ALL STORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, reading over the comments already made I'd say It's kinda obvious that most of us realized that ;). It's just an opportunity to take a jab at Kmart's somewhat well-deserved reputation of being a bit ummm... "low-rent". Take this post for example:

K-Mart??? What's next? Is Mattel going to cut some bargain basement deal where Wave 16 will go direct to that flea market off Route 46?

@loll@ hilarious!

The funny thing is when I first started to collect these the only ones that I wanted was the one that where on the Superfriends/Super Powers cartoon which I have some of them but then when Mantis came out in his Super Powers figure form it change. So far I think only Black Caranry, Batman Beyond,John Steward and Despero are the only 4 that I have that was on nither cartoon or old toy line. My line up as of now.

Cartoon=========Toy

1. Green Lantern

2. Wonder Woman

3. Flash

4. Batman

5. Cyborg

6. Superman

7. Firestorm

8. Aquaman

9. Hawkman

10. Kailbak

11. Brainiac

12. Lex Luthor

13. Joker

14. Dessad

Old Kenner Toy SP

1. Capt. Marvel

2. Green Arrow

3. Mantis

4. Steppen Wolf

Superfriends/Powers cartoon

1. Capt. Cold

2. Riddler

3. Wonder Twins

That's about it that are from the cartoon or the Kenner Toy line that I have and they have some they made that I don't have yet.

1. Tyr=Kenner Toy

2. Martian Manhunter=Kenner Toy

3. Cheetah=Superfriends

4. Hawkgirl=Superfriends

Judging by your handle you're a big Superpowers fan, so I can understand why you think it's cool. I do kinda think it's cool that DCUC is paying homage to the old line of toys. However, I think there are many people who didn't grow up with the Superpowers line of toys, such as myself, and think Golden Pharaoh or Cyclotron are taking up a spot that could've been given to a DC character they're actually familiar with based on the comics. Also, why pay money for a figure that isn't canon? Golden Pharaoh will probably contain the figure stand, so at least there's the option of not picking it up.

With each passing wave I recognize fewer and fewer characters. I will still pick up all the figs to build the BAF tho.

Ok, here is my point, people say Golden Pharaoh's spot could of been used for a better known DC character.

1. Kamandi is a better known character, appeared in comics and cartoons and GP is infinitely better looking and appealing than a boy in jean shorts

2. They are spreading the characters out, you have to give them that much. They aren't shoving the big ones down our throats, they are really becoming the most expansive toyline ever. Within a year or so, they will eclipse Marvel Legends with having a more diverse array of characters both canon and non-canon. I would of never of imagined we would be getting OMAC,...the original version, don't even know who he is.

3. Even in this wave, GP is more appealing than the modern Starman and the original OMAC

4. It annoys me how some fans disregard SF and SP created characters, but if used right they can become as important and intergrated in DC as say "Harley Quinn" who originated in the cartoon and became a real character in the DC Universe. DC should intergrate the following characters IMO

Golden Pharaoh

Samurai

Black Vulcan..........though the name Vulcan is enough

Apache Chief

Recently DC intergrated Marvin and Wendy into the teen titans, with good results.......then they went a had Wonder Dog kill Marvin and mangle Wendy. I hated the original characters but was amazed at how DC used them in the Teen Titans comic book months ago, it proved it can work.

Ok, here is my point, people say Golden Pharaoh's spot could of been used for a better known DC character.

1. Kamandi is a better known character, appeared in comics and cartoons and GP is infinitely better looking and appealing than a boy in jean shorts

2. They are spreading the characters out, you have to give them that much. They aren't shoving the big ones down our throats, they are really becoming the most expansive toyline ever. Within a year or so, they will eclipse Marvel Legends with having a more diverse array of characters both canon and non-canon. I would of never of imagined we would be getting OMAC,...the original version, don't even know who he is.

3. Even in this wave, GP is more appealing than the modern Starman and the original OMAC

4. It annoys me how some fans disregard SF and SP created characters, but if used right they can become as important and intergrated in DC as say "Harley Quinn" who originated in the cartoon and became a real character in the DC Universe. DC should intergrate the following characters IMO

Golden Pharaoh

Samurai

Apache Chief

Recently DC intergrated Marvin and Wendy into the teen titans, with good results.......then they went a had Wonder Dog kill Marvin and mangle Wendy. I hated the original characters but was amazed at how DC used them in the Teen Titans comic book months ago, it proved it can work.

I think they've done a pretty good job of integrating SP into the line. Like it or not, there is a demand for these charaters just like any other vintage line (like Joe or MOTU) and by selling them one per wave without CnC pieces, they aren't over-whelming the waves or forcing people to buy them. On occasion, collectors have even had a choice of SP or comic version like with wave 11 Stepenwolf. I really don't see the big deal here. I just ignored Cycltron during wave 13 and stayed happy. In a way it's a bit selfish to demand that Mattle not make them.

Oh and about Wendy and Marvin @loll@ @loll@ !! I had no idea! I'd love to see pics if anyone could post them.

Golden Pharaoh

Samurai

Apache Chief

Well, I grew up on SuperFriends and Super Powers too. From my perspective, it's just strange that for some people (and I'm not saying you in particular, SP) that's where the love of those characters begins, and ends. When I saw that show and bought those toys, it made me want to get all the comics I could lay my hands on to know more about them. Especially the cartoon...even by the standards of the day it's pretty damned hokey.

As for GP being 'more appealing' than Kamandi, OMAC, or Starman...that's one man's opinion. I'll buy GP because I'm sort of a completist, but I could *happily* skip him, and I'm much happier buying any of the others mentioned.

As for integrating those characters...maybe they could, and most of them have appeared at some point or another in comic form...but for the most part they haven't been brought into the DCU beyond the SP comics of the time. I honestly don't doubt that they'll eventually get made, but again...if not, it won't bother me at all. I hope those who *do* want them, get them...but I'd prefer it if they were some sort of online or convention boxed set and kept out of the retail mainline.

Recently DC intergrated Marvin and Wendy into the teen titans, with good results.......then they went a had Wonder Dog kill Marvin and mangle Wendy.

Ugh! This was hideous. I had no great love for those characters. I don't think I despised them as some seem to. They were what they were ...comedy relief. DC however handled them the way an ignorant foul-mouth school kid drunk on his own ritalin would handle them. It certainly was not with any sort of affection, nostalgia or God forbid, respect. It was a cheap, classless stunt with all the obvious toilet humor of a Zan and Jana incest joke.

I'm not thrilled about getting a SC Batman, but since they're making one, they should've at least gotten the bat symbol on the outfit. I'm fine with his outfit being yellow since that's the general motif. I could believe that the outfit that Batman was wearing in that one panel was incomplete.

I think it is incomplete since there are what appear to be beams of lights forming the SC symbol on his chest.

Recently DC intergrated Marvin and Wendy into the teen titans, with good results.......then they went a had Wonder Dog kill Marvin and mangle Wendy.

Ugh! This was hideous. I had no great love for those characters. I don't think I despised them as some seem to. They were what they were ...comedy relief. DC however handled them the way an ignorant foul-mouth school kid drunk on his own ritalin would handle them. It certainly was not with any sort of affection, nostalgia or God forbid, respect. It was a cheap, classless stunt with all the obvious toilet humor of a Zan and Jana incest joke.

Geez....what was so bad about them, actually I enjoyed them and their role with the Titans. They didn't get too much face time, they were the brains behind the team. The way IMO DC messed up was by killing MArvin and mauling Wendy. Shortly after that I stopped reading because I can no longer afford comics like I used to. Again, what was missing in your opinion?

Geez....what was so bad about them, actually I enjoyed them and their role with the Titans. They didn't get too much face time, they were the brains behind the team. The way IMO DC messed up was by killing MArvin and mauling Wendy. Shortly after that I stopped reading because I can no longer afford comics like I used to. Again, what was missing in your opinion?

WTF??? Wendy and Marvin were with the Titans???

Damn does that mean Zan and Jayna aren't far behind?

Well, I grew up on SuperFriends and Super Powers too. From my perspective, it's just strange that for some people (and I'm not saying you in particular, SP) that's where the love of those characters begins, and ends. When I saw that show and bought those toys, it made me want to get all the comics I could lay my hands on to know more about them. Especially the cartoon...even by the standards of the day it's pretty damned hokey.

As for GP being 'more appealing' than Kamandi, OMAC, or Starman...that's one man's opinion. I'll buy GP because I'm sort of a completist, but I could *happily* skip him, and I'm much happier buying any of the others mentioned.

As for integrating those characters...maybe they could, and most of them have appeared at some point or another in comic form...but for the most part they haven't been brought into the DCU beyond the SP comics of the time. I honestly don't doubt that they'll eventually get made, but again...if not, it won't bother me at all. I hope those who *do* want them, get them...but I'd prefer it if they were some sort of online or convention boxed set and kept out of the retail mainline.

There is no doubt to my devotion of SP and SF and if you want to call it to the carpet, its not big deal........especially with the way I carry on. There is an aspect of these characters to our childhoods, but I really do like the idea and design of GP. I think he has a timeless look that should of been incorporated into mainstream DC continuity. I just think the disdain for these characters is weird for no apparent reason other than "they weren't in the comics"....while to me it makes more sense with the people who appreciate them. 1. they had them as kids, 2. the characters are cool on their own with/without a comic or cartoon backing them. Think about it, there are people who know nothing of DC but by the figures based on how cool they look, yet these people tend to be Marvel fans. I did the same for Legendary Heroes, I didn't know anything about any of them except Judge Dred.

You know what your suggestion was pretty decent. If they had a unique box set outside of retail, doesn't bother me either I can imagine the following

Golden Pharaoh

Samurai

Black Vulcan

Apache Chief

Cyclotron

All in one cool set, with a BAF Apache Chief

Anyway, I think its cool they are hitting all the corners or making a great homage to the Super Powers line. Some don't see the awesomeness of Super Powers as a toy line, but there are still masses of collectors who love them and have reverence towards them and its seems so does 4HM, Mattel, and DC, who all seem to be backing the heavy promotion towards the Super Powers line. Lastly, its the 25th anniv, probably why we are seeing so many SP characters like Cyclotron and GP, hopefully by years end, we can see the others also.