Greatest Rock Band of All Time

They had a one-hit wonder of a first album and then zip..zero..sh@# to follow that success up.

Actually, Use Your Illusion I & II sold around 700,000 albums during their first week of sales, and have both sold a total of around 5.5 million currently...so you can't really say GnR did nothing after Appetite for Destruction.

The 1988 album 'Lies' debuted at #2 and sold over 5 million copies in the United States alone.

The 1991 albums 'Use Your Illusion I' and 'Use Your Illusion II' debuted #1 and #2 and have sold a combined 14 million copies in the United States alone and 35 million worldwide.

One might notice I didn't include some obvious favorites such as The Beatles, CCR and KISS. I'm not sure to me personally if they are among the greatest rock groups all time. The Beatles are a tough, tough call. They kind of transcended rock or pop or any genre, so it doesn't even seem fair against anyone else. Certainly among the best pop music, tho.

You have to compare them to the content of music that was popular in the late 50's and early 60's, and then insert the Beatles into that genre, and with that...you'll appreciate their impact on what was to follow after, in regards to rock music. By today's standards, yes, they can sound more "pop" music than hard rock, but you're deliberately overlooking them, because it's too obvious to include them, and some people just like to be different. ;)

They had a one-hit wonder of a first album and then zip..zero..sh@# to follow that success up.

Actually, Use Your Illusion I & II sold around 700,000 albums during their first week of sales, and have both sold a total of around 5.5 million currently...so you can't really say GnR did nothing after Appetite for Destruction.

The 1988 album 'Lies' debuted at #2 and sold over 5 million copies in the United States alone.

The 1991 albums 'Use Your Illusion I' and 'Use Your Illusion II' debuted #1 and #2 and have sold a combined 14 million copies in the United States alone and 35 million worldwide.

I guess the key word (in my anti-G&R rant) was "hit"? ^_^

To a non G&R fan, most of us would only be able to name maybe one or two songs they sang. Sweet Child of Mine and Welcome to The Jungle, because that's generally all that ever played, just like a non-Zeppelin fan, might mention Stairway To Heaven and go blank. I know having chart topping "hits" does not make a "great band" as most of the greatest rock bands had few (if any) number ones.

I can think of some great ROCK songs, that wouldn't ever fit in a Greatest Rock Band category, and what a shame, because they're truly awesome jams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikTrTCuR3fA

I guess the key word (in my anti-G&R rant) was "hit"? ^_^

To a non G&R fan, most of us would only be able to name maybe one or two songs they sang. Sweet Child of Mine and Welcome to The Jungle, because that's generally all that ever played, just like a non-Zeppelin fan, might mention Stairway To Heaven and go blank. I know having chart topping "hits" does not make a "great band" as most of the greatest rock bands had few (if any) number ones.

I can think of some great ROCK songs, that wouldn't ever fit in a Greatest Rock Band category, and what a shame, because they're truly awesome jams.

http://www.youtube.com/wath?v=ikTrTCuR3fA[/medi

..speaking of one hit wonders ^ I hate when the singles musicians put out are awesome and then the rest of their albums are just crap. examples kravits.... the mars volta

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPeSbITit5U&a=Fi-9OmPWYps&playnext_from=ML

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUBQLnEGHNk

after i heard these song I went and got the cds ....mistake

now for best rock band of all time I'd have to say either Zeppelin or the Beatles. The Who and Black Sabbath being close seconds.

I never really liked the stones. out of their 90 albums (or w/e insane amount it is) theres like 3 songs i like. and one of those is a cover lol

you forgot to mention Nirvana, Joe! It was mainly their popularity, imo, which dragged rock away from glam.

A typical question regarding music and albums (CD's) is... if you had to pick just 3 to take with you (say to another planet or deserted island or something) to have to listen to for forever more, which ones would you take?

A typical question regarding music and albums (CD's) is... if you had to pick just 3 to take with you (say to another planet or deserted island or something) to have to listen to for forever more, which ones would you take?

Alice In Chains - Unplugged (Possibly the best of the unplugged performances, and it's also like a greatest hits collection. Any band that can sound good electric, and then sound BETTER acoustic shows how talented they really are, and how solid their music is. Plus, Cantrell and Staley's harmonies are amazing.)

Pink Floyd - Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd 2CD Set (I couldn't live the rest of my life without hearing Gilmour play guitar...and I'd have to cheat and get someone to throw "On The Turning Away" into the track list too.)

Metallica - S&M 2CD Set (Like a Metallica greatest hits...but with a full orchestra...what's better than that?)

If we couldn't use compilation CDs...and since I cheated by including 2CD sets, I'd go with:

Alice In Chains - Dirt (Most of my favorite songs from them are on this album.)

Pink Floyd - Momentary Lapse of Reason (It was a hard choice between this and DSOTM, because Time has my all-time favorite guitar solo...but I like more of the songs on Momentary Lapse of Reason.)

Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion II (I never get tired of Civil War or Estranged, and I never get tired of Slash's guitar playing. Plus, this is GnR's most solid album, IMO.)

Just to give respect to the original post and the poster's idea, Queen in many ways IS the greatest band that WAS. They may not be my favorite, but they really had something special.

Freddie Mercury - The undisputed Rock & Roll vocalist of all time. Brain May - His ripping guitar riffs were just as revolutionary as his compositions. John Deacon on bass and Roger Taylor on drums.

They could not only create some original songs that no one could, but the chemistry was perfect. If they did a cover of another song, it was the best cover anyone has ever heard. ;)

I'm surprised ACDC wasn't mentioned earlier in the thread.

No Black Sabbath either!?

I mentioned Sabbath. I said they were probably my favorite old hard rock band.

Saw that after I already wrote my post... I's smart I's is! haha Blegh...