Greatest Rock Band of All Time

What other bands have such iconic songs as

We Will Rock You

We Are the Champions

Bohemian Rhapsody

These songs transcended the genre of rock to be incorporated deeper in the mainstream of most people, even those who don't listen to rock at all.

I'm CLASSIC Aerosmith all the way, Before Tylers voice went to crap from all the screaming like Brian Johnsons. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yGCHPmfqT0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgUh6BNdq9Y

GnR are practically a 2 hit wonder band, so in a discussion of "greatest" in the genre of all ROCK bands, they really don't make it. Having "cool dudes" in the band helps a lot also and seeing how Axil is a whiny punkass b!tch..... @smilepunch@

STONES BABY! "COOL DUDES" ROCKIN AND JAMMIN AND HAVIN FUN AND MAKIN ME CRANK UP THE VOLUME AND DANCE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVnikonQsdU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbpUmncqmmk

Judas Priest? A good ROCK band, but probably not a "greatest of all time" rock band. However, they do have one of the GREATEST ROCK SONGS I've enjoyed immensely over the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8_OerWWEQ4

GnR are practically a 2 hit wonder band, so in a discussion of "greatest" in the genre of all ROCK bands, they really don't make it. Having "cool dudes" in the band helps a lot also and seeing how Axil is a whiny punkass b!tch..... @smilepunch@

What?

Shame on you VH, I thought you knew more about music than that. @smilepunch@

Here's some of their songs I hear on classic radio stations on a daily basis:

- Welcome To The Jungle

- Mr. Brownstone

- Sweet Child O' Mine

- Paradise City

- Patience

- Civil War

- Knockin' on Heaven's Door (cover)

- November Rain

And some songs that were very mainstream and big hits for them when they were at their peak after the Use Your Illusion albums came out:

- Yesterdays

- You Could Be Mine

- Don't Cry

- Live and Let Die (cover)

- Estranged

They had their share of hits. More than most bands can claim anyways.

I do agree with you on Axl Rose though. That guy is a major pr*ck...the main reason the band broke up. I've always loved Slash though. Probably my next favorite guitarist, right behind Gilmour.

Here's some videos of Axl being an a$$...just for the fun of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcqHqqnYDUs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=131GMumRzOY&feature=related

There's a ton of videos on youtube of him doing this sh*t, and I remember seeing an interview with Slash who said part of the reason he left the band was because they couldn't go through a full concert without Axl getting p*ssed off, stopping a song to lecture the crowd, or just walking off the stage.

On a side note, what is it about lead singers with huge ego's and/or drug problems causing band breakups? Here's a few that I can think of (besides GnR) off the top of my head:

Soundgarden - Cornell wanted to do his own thing.

STP - Weiland's heroin problem.

Alice in Chains - Staley's heroin problem.

Pink Floyd - Waters was an @$$.

Creed - Scott Stapp was an @$$ and though he could do better on his own.

Aerosmith - Recently they've been having problems with Steven Tyler thinking he's all that.

Days of the New - Travis Meeks thought he was better than his bandmates (the rest of the band broke off and made the band "Tantric.")

Nirvana - Well, that's an obvious one. @lol@

The Doors - Another obvious one.

Rage Against the Machine - De La Rocha was an @$$.

The Beatles - I'm not sure that was all Lenin's problem though.

The funny thing is, most of the remaining members of these bands usually went on to be just as successful without the lead singer. In some of these cases the bands have also reformed after the lead singer realized they couldn't make it on their own (Creed, RATM, Soundgarden). @lol@

I've never understood why so many lead singers seem to think they ARE the band.

• Like 1

What?

- Welcome To The Jungle

- Mr. Brownstone

- Sweet Child O' Mine

- Paradise City

- Patience

- Civil War

- November Rain

Wow! All those? On a DAILY basis? That sucks! @smilepunch@

• Like 1

WOW......Nobody has said KISS. In my option KISS sucks. Maybe we ought to start a "Why Kiss sucks page."

I am a Led Zeppelin fan.

Chopz

• Like 1

What?

- Welcome To The Jungle

- Mr. Brownstone

- Sweet Child O' Mine

- Paradise City

- Patience

- Civil War

- November Rain

Wow! All those? On a DAILY basis? That sucks! @smilepunch@

Well, maybe not on a daily basis, but pretty regularly. :P

And, it doesn't suck. I'd listen to GnR all day long over hearing Zeppelin or AC/DC even once a week. @lol@

I'd listen to GnR all day long over hearing Zeppelin or AC/DC even once a week. @lol@

@lol@

Hell, I don't listen to Zeppelin or AC/DC much at all anymore, but if asked about "greatest rock bands"...gotta give cred where cred is due. ;)

• Like 1

I'm partial to the BEATLES and LED ZEPPELIN as "greatest rock band of all time".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzCjGgrewYY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4ej6gIPlKo

I agree 100%.

Personally, I think even if you go about it in as objective a fashion as possible, you'd still come to either one of these bands or a tie!

No offense to Queen - they rock too, just not as much! ;)

I have to agree with DarthJoe on what he said about GNR... I mean what other band sold over 38 million albums worldwide of their debut album and broke the 80's mold of glam rock and turned into hard rock...

I have to agree with DarthJoe on what he said about GNR... I mean what other band sold over 38 million albums worldwide of their debut album and broke the 80's mold of glam rock and turned into hard rock...

That still doesn't make them the "greatest" by a long shot. They had a one-hit wonder of a first album and then zip..zero..sh@# to follow that success up. Look at the numbers just the Beatles and Zeppelin put up and over the number of years they did it in. GnR broke the "glam" mold (thankfully) of such bands like Bon Jovi, Poison, Ratt, Cinderella, Motley Crew etc... and for that, I thank them, but "hard rock was still around during those times, it never went away, so GnR didn't really "turn" anything, but directed the attention of the listeners back to the less "gay" looking image of rockers. Crap Grundge and speed metal was still yet to come though and the depressing likes of Marilyn Manson and such, so it was short-lived while they lasted. :(

That still doesn't make them the "greatest" by a long shot. They had a one-hit wonder of a first album and then zip..zero..sh@# to follow that success up.

Never said they were the greatest but no single band is the greatest. If there was a band that was the greatest than no other band would even attempt to make music. Calling GNR a one hit wonder is sounding more like your own opinion and not the facts cause I can name 6 songs that cracked the top 10 and 13 songs that cracked the top 100 or even top 50...

They had a one-hit wonder of a first album and then zip..zero..sh@# to follow that success up.

Actually, Use Your Illusion I & II sold around 700,000 albums during their first week of sales, and have both sold a total of around 5.5 million currently...so you can't really say GnR did nothing after Appetite for Destruction.

Crap Grundge and speed metal was still yet to come though...

How can you call grunge "crap?"

That music broke the mold that was Glam rock, and is still influencing many of the current rock bands.

Soundgarden is possibly one of the most unique and original bands ever, with Cornell arguably having one of the best rock voices ever.

Alice In Chains album "Dirt" has sold over 4 million albums. And, how can you not love "Man In The Box" or "No Excuses":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAqZb52sgpU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r80HF68KM8g

I don't even think I need to mention Pearl Jam's success.

How many other bands have been able to stay relevant for so many years? Soundgarden is currently in the process of a reunion, with Cornell having been very successful with Audioslave for the first half of this last decade. Alice in Chains just released their fist album in 14 years, and it debuted at #5 on the Billboard 200...and has already produced two #1 songs on the mainstream rock charts. Pearl Jam has never went away. Dave Grohl of Nirvana has been on cruise control with the Foo Fighters pretty much since the late 90's, and he's worked on a ton of other projects like drumming for Queens of the Stone Age, and the current super-group Them Crooked Vultures.

I would gladly welcome back a change in direction of current popular music to where it was in the early to mid 90's, with the likes of the above mentioned bands, and other bands like Bush, Stone Temple Pilots, Live, and Smashing Pumpkins. These bands were all original and had true musical talent, as opposed to much of the popular rock today, where all of the bands just sound like commercial clones of one another.

That still doesn't make them the "greatest" by a long shot. They had a one-hit wonder of a first album and then zip..zero..sh@# to follow that success up.

Never said they were the greatest but no single band is the greatest. If there was a band that was the greatest than no other band would even attempt to make music. Calling GNR a one hit wonder is sounding more like your own opinion and not the facts cause I can name 6 songs that cracked the top 10 and 13 songs that cracked the top 100 or even top 50...

@loll@ You're too easy on this one. C'mon man...I already know what a big G&R fan you are, so the opportunity to get ya going on defense over them is right there. ;)

You're right though, I don't like them much at all, but that doesn't change what I'm saying about them not be high on the chart of a "greatest rock band of all time" regardless of varied opinions, which is inevitable, but all the lists regarding such a topic, include more of what I've been listing than any others opinions.

U2 hasn't had a number 1 hit since their conception, nor Led Zeppelin, so chart topping is not a factor, nor amount of one particular album sold, as Micheal Jackson would take that title. I think it has a lot to do with their influence on the genre from it's conception on, and the Beatles made rock music go in a different direction just the same as Zeppelin did with their style. There's tons of other bands that have contributed in some way, however large or small, but contributed nonetheless, and G&R would be one of them, on a small, wee small scale. @smilepunch@

Even a typical list of the top 50 "greatest songs" would have very little G&R songs....

1 "Stairway To Heaven" by Led Zeppelin

2 "Layla" by Derek & The Dominos

3 "Hotel California" by The Eagles

4 "Imagine" by John Lennon

5 "Like A Rolling Stone" by Bob Dylan

6 "Let It Be" by The Beatles

7 "One" by U2

8 "Hey Jude" by The Beatles

9 "What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye

10 "Johnny B. Goode" by Chuck Berry

11 "Born To Run" by Bruce Springsteen

12 "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd

13 "Gimme Shelter" by The Rolling Stones

14 "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd

15 "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen

16 "All Along The Watchtower" by The Jimi Hendrix Experience

17 "Eminence Front" by The Who

18 "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag" by James Brown

19 "November Rain" by Guns N' Roses

20 "What'd I Say" by Ray Charles

21 "Black" by Pearl Jam

22 "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin

23 "Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who

24 "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" by The Beatles

25 "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd

26 "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2

27 "Proud Mary" by Creedence Clearwater Revival

28 "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson

29 "Sympathy For The Devil" by The Rolling Stones

30 "Yesterday" by The Beatles

31 "Light My Fire" by The Doors

32 "Every Breath You Take" by The Police

33 "Purple Rain" by Prince

34 "No Woman, No Cry" by Bob Marley & The Wailers

35 "The End Of The Innocence" by Don Henley

36 "A Day In The Life" by The Beatles

37 "The Last Resort" by The Eagles

38 "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana

39 "Sultans Of Swing" by Dire Straits

40 "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five

41 "Bo Diddley" by Bo Diddley

42 "In My Life" by The Beatles

43 "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye

44 "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" by The Jimi Hendrix Experience

45 "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones

46 "With Or Without You" by U2

47 "The End" by The Doors

48 "Somebody To Love" by Jefferson Airplane

49 "London Calling" by The Clash

50 "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel

Lotta entires by the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, U2, The Who, Pink Floyd. Even Queen only gets 1 in the top 50 but still considered a A-lister for any

"greatest of all time".

This is all opinion of course. As far as greatest I think the clear choices are the Beatles, Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones. My choice is the Beatles because they have per album more Great songs. Each album is a new thing and a new experience. My favorite is the White Album butt he best overall is Sgt. Peppers.

Also, there wouldn't be the other bands without the Beatles. Just like there wouldn't be Rock n Roll without Elvis.

Even a typical list of the top 50 "greatest songs" would have very little G&R songs....

7 "One" by U2

21 "Black" by Pearl Jam

Lotta entires by the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, U2, The Who, Pink Floyd. Even Queen only gets 1 in the top 50 but still considered a A-lister for any

"greatest of all time".

*whistles*

That is one meaty list of kick-a$$ songs. I have arguments as to the order, especially the fact that "Since I've Been Loving You" by Led Zeppelin is not on the list. However I just might try to make a burn collection of that list. @peace@

7 "One" by U2

21 "Black" by Pearl Jam

"greatest of all time".

Where are you coming up with this list because I would say about 10-15 of some of the songs listed here don't belong in this list but thats my opinion...

7 "One" by U2

21 "Black" by Pearl Jam

"greatest of all time".

Where are you coming up with this list because I would say about 10-15 of some of the songs listed here don't belong in this list but thats my opinion...

Just grabbed it off my first google search. Such lists are all going to be either a matter of "opinion" or a poll of about 100-100,00 people in the world which is a small sampling, but you kinda get the jist of what's a common entry in most of them.

I just spent about 15 minutes or so looking through lists for top rock bands and top rock songs, and the common bands at the top of these lists usually included Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Beatles and The Eagles.

Sadly, as much as I dislike Zeppelin and The Beatles, I'd have to say it makes sense that any of these 5 bands should be at the tops of these lists.

Now we're talking about some good bands. I love GnR, Black Sabbath, and ZZ Top.

I like some Aerosmith. I used to listen to Get a Grip quite a bit when that album was first released.

Metallica, too, because they were such a great band musically, and they accompished most of what they did without going for the gimmicky Satan angle and with little to no mainstream hype early on. Say what you will about metal, but they always had well written lyrics of substance. The obvious successors to Sabbath as the best of metal, and a good rock band, regardless of genre.

Agree 100%.

I may not like all the members of that band due to over-inflated egos(specifically Lars), but there's no denying their place in music history. Their last few efforts haven't been the greatest, but everything up to and including their S&M album was awesome. I know a lot of people would disagree with me, but I think their best stuff was off of the Black Album, Load and Reload. They really showed their ability to be diverse, and not be just strictly metal.

I'll always give it to Sabbath over Zeppelin, only because they had more original material. So many of Zeppelin's early songs were just reworked blues. But, again, both great groups. I just like Sabbath more. A lot of people always say that Sabbath never got as much respect as Zeppelin because of the percieved occult influences. But Jimmy Page definitely tried to promote the occult stuff to add interest or mystique to Zeppelin. The thing was that Zeppelin did more songs about getting laid, and Sabbath was more depressing lol.

GnR great, too. But I wouldn't put them in the greatest of all time category. It's too bad the original five guys will probably never record together again.

Lol I hear you about Lars. That is just Lars being Lars I guess. When Load and Reload were new, I didn't like them much, but in the years since I've come to like them a lot more. And you are right, some of their best work is definitely on those two albums, but most metalheads will never agree lol. St. Anger wasn't my favorite work from them, but Death Magnetic was a nice return to form.

Here's a fun top ten list. The top ten, in order to me of importance. Also, the top ten honorable mentions, groups that are great, but maybe don't have as impressive a catalog overall as the top ten.

The Who are you kiddin'? lol The Who were influencing everybody back THEN, from AC/DC to Jimi to Zeppelin and many points in between.

Black Sabbath

The Doors the best of what the turn on, tune in, drop out crap had to offer.

The Stones the original dangerous rock band. But unlike so many wannabes, they had the songs to back it up.

Alice Cooper/David Bowie probably equally important, at least with their earlier lineups and less of just Alice and Bowie with random backing musicians.

Metallica

AC/DC so influential to rock, punk, metal, etc. The only rock band a lot of country people will admit to liking lol.

Zeppelin

Van Halen

Queen

Aerosmith So close to being in the top ten, with such a huge list of big anthems, but I just don't think they're in that league.

Alice In Chains probably the most metal and most mainstream of the Big Four of Grunge, but IMO also the best band out of all of them. It's too close to say which is the better album between Appetite For Destruction and Dirt, But I just like Alice more than Guns.

Guns N Roses

Megadeth just as good musically and lyrically as Metallica, but always in their shadow. The other two of the so called Big Four of Thrash, Anthrax and Slayer, probably are just as important and influential.

Ramones

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers an awful lot of great songs from their combined catalog.

Social Distortion

Misfits... and maybe the first four Danzig albums. I certianly like them, but I'm not sure if it's as important as the Misfits stuff.

Nirvana Kurt himself wasn't really a great guitar player, but his voice was extremely powerful and effective. And Krist and Dave were/are two of the better musicians to come from any group you could compare them to. By extention, I'd have to make it a three way tie between them, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, because the Big Four of Grunge was the big thing when I really cared about all this stuff.

One might notice I didn't include some obvious favorites such as The Beatles, CCR and KISS. I'm not sure to me personally if they are among the greatest rock groups all time. The Beatles are a tough, tough call. They kind of transcended rock or pop or any genre, so it doesn't even seem fair against anyone else. Certainly among the best pop music, tho. The Beatles and CCR have some of the best songs ever written, and KISS has their moments, too. It might sound pretentious, but to me other favorites of mine like Miles Davis, Tracy Chapman or Johnny Cash are just as rock and roll as anyone else for being so great at what they do, but I didn't include them, either.

Finally someone with great taste in hard rock. The Saints of Los Angeles are kings. Beatles are majority pop music and the phrase "rock music", is too encompassing.

Top 10:

Crue (the badddest, sleazist, craziest band of all time accompanied by great music, SOLA shows they still got it)

ACDC (how to do it right)

AIC (raw power)

Aerosmith (American Rock always does it better than English)

Doors (Again, better than Zepp)

Stones (Tumblin Dice current fav)

Nirvana (simple songs, genius)

tallica (Escape/Trapped under Ice current favs)

Sabbath (forefathers)

Zep (Alltime: Fool in the Rain)

Halen (Gotta have 11, too influential)

Dont disagree as I dont care and you are wrong.

RIP Man on the Silver Mountain, RESPECT