Jump to content

So has DCUC surpassed The Super Powers Collection??


Lady Jaye
 Share

Recommended Posts

The Super Powers line has reached a certain level that makes it untouchable. It set the benchmark for modern day action figures, straight down into DCUC. The quality on these figures were amazing,

 

Sorry, but I can NEVER understand the devotion to Kenner's "Super Powers" line that is expressed by some on this board. I thought they were lame in the 80's, and I think they're lame now. I don't see anything about them that was truly innovative, and frankly, the sculpts were horrendous.

 

I understand the nostalgic attachment that some may have to them, but that's about it.

 

Ding! They stunk back then as a kid to me and still do. GI JOE, Star Wars, etc were so much better.

Draven

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Super Powers line has reached a certain level that makes it untouchable. It set the benchmark for modern day action figures, straight down into DCUC. The quality on these figures were amazing,

 

Sorry, but I can NEVER understand the devotion to Kenner's "Super Powers" line that is expressed by some on this board. I thought they were lame in the 80's, and I think they're lame now. I don't see anything about them that was truly innovative, and frankly, the sculpts were horrendous.

 

I understand the nostalgic attachment that some may have to them, but that's about it.

 

Ding! They stunk back then as a kid to me and still do. GI JOE, Star Wars, etc were so much better.

Draven

 

 

I remember going down the action figure aisle thinking how crappy they looked for that time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry, but I can NEVER understand the devotion to Kenner's "Super Powers" line that is expressed by some on this board. I thought they were lame in the 80's, and I think they're lame now. I don't see anything about them that was truly innovative, and frankly, the sculpts were horrendous.

 

I understand the nostalgic attachment that some may have to them, but that's about it.

 

There was nothing else like them at the time--its just that simple. Mattel's Secret Wars figures were shoddy imitations, and it was years afterwards that anyone else started making "decent" superhero toys. Megos were dead at least 5 years by the time SuperPowers came out, and no-one else was doing superhero toys in the mid-80's. That is why they stand out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Superpowers1980 wrote:

 

I love all those toy lines, I was making a point that if you hate Sp line based on articulation and sculpt then you must hate the others as well, because essentially they were no better...IMO

 

You have got to be kidding! First of all, GI Joe, Megos, Micronauts, etc all had far better articulation than Superpowers. That's a fact. They had better anatomical proportions. Superpowers figures were short and fat. That's a fact. They looked fat with barrel chests. Look at Mr. Miracle for one of the worst examples. He looks live an overweight transvestite. The sculpts were in many cases horribly inaccurate...look at Mantis, Orion, Steppenwolf, etc. That's a fact. Now granted, Mego didn't always get the costume perfect. It had its share of inaccuracies. But at least they had character, and far better articulation. And they didn't look anatomically freakish.

 

GI Joe had infinitely better articulation than Superpowers. That's a fact. Plus, the toy line featured far more vehicles, playsets, accessories, and sheer play potential than Superpowers. That's a fact. GI Joe had realistic faces, not the constipated, inhuman look that so many Superpowers toys had. That's a fact.

 

So you can't honestly claim that those toy lines were no better than Superpowers, because they are. Provably and undeniably so.

 

This TOPIC IS EXPLODING!!!!

explosion_animated_gif.gif

Anyway, my point is for all those who complain about SP, I don't understand considering what else was available before and during that time.

 

StarWars

The sculpts weren't impressive and looked less like their counterparts than SP figures

 

o_EtvskxXjFpBskf3.jpg

Han Solo looks less like Han Solo than say Superman looks liek Superman below

SupermanComplete1a.jpgSuper-Powers-Superman-Card-A.jpg

I don't see squat little action figures, maybe some of you need to adjust your glasses

, he was also designed like all the rest after how they were drawn for the time.

 

My point is not to talk bad about SW toys but rather, how can you say SP had bad sculpts but then praise SW figures???

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd say these are the best toy-lines of all time:

 

1. GI Joe - No, not those nasty little 3" miniatures. I mean the real GI Joe! The 12" figures. While originally just a military theme, they became a universal toy once they became the Adventure Team. First, the articulation was awesome. GI Joe could assume almost any pose. Second, it was very likely the best accessorized toy line of all time. Tons of accessories, weapons, costumes, vehicles, play-sets, adventure sets, etc. GI Joe offered an almost limitless amount of play potential (play stories). And it offered tons of expansion.

 

2. Micronauts - Another of the all-time greats! An infinite amount of play value due to its interchangeability. I spent years playing with them. I could spent (even to this day) days on end just building bizarre and fun play sets and buildings out of their Micropolis building sets. Tons of different characters, robots, vehicles, etc. And all interchangeable. Nothing like it ever existed before, and nothing since. For sheer fun potential, this line may be #1.

 

3. Marx Best of the West - While not as articulate as GI Joe, it was close. And it offered tons of accessories, horses, playsets, etc. While limited to a western setting, the line was very extensive and was damn near indestructible, being made of thick, tough plastic. You could literally drive a truck over one and it would not break. It happened to one of mine, twice. And it was as good as new outside of some minor scuffing. We dropped them out 35' high attic windows onto concrete. I once took a sledge hammer and smashed one to prove to a friend how durable they were. No damage done. Ad they looked great too! Of course, I gotta mix in the Marx Vikings and Knights, some of the most well-sculpted figures ever created!

 

4. Mego 8" Line - The single most extensive line ever. Star Trek, Planet of the Apes, Marvel and DC Superheroes, ultimately cool Mad Monsters, pirates, knights, Robin Hood figures, cavemen, Wizard of Oz, KISS, Flash Gordon, western characters, tv shows (Happy Days, CHiPs, Duke of Hazzard, Space 1999, etc), ...what did they not make? Great articulation, cool sculpts, lots of vehicles and playsets. It was so cool because you could mix them up. It was so much fun having my Star Trek figures travel into Earth's future and setting down in the Planet of the Apes setting! It was awesome to see the Waltons cowering in their home while the Mad Monsters attacked them. Just so much fun!

 

5. Major Matt Mason/Colorform Aliens - These two go together like bread and butter! Lots fo cool characters and awesome aliens, tons of cool, high-tech vehicles and play-sets. I love my sci-fi, so these lines dominated my earliest years of childhood. The sheer design awesomeness is mind-boggling!

 

I'd say those are my top 5 toy lines of all time.

 

1. Screw Adventure team -- basically boy barbies. I am sure all boys who craved the real-life hair joes wear panties today

 

2. Again, screw micronauts........i mean seriously, they were popular but even with their articulation, they weren't nearly as successful as SP

 

3. Marx best of west wre nice, but seriously better than SP, your smoking major dope man, stop free-basing

 

4. Mego - classics...IMO not neraly as cool as SP, I mean seriously, which Superman is the definitive version

Mego-Superman.jpg

He looks like a Mexican at a Halloween party...I know this sounds bad, but I do love Mego's.

 

5. screw major matt mason, I mean WGAF. alien colorform sets...bendy rubber figures...nuff said

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Superpowers1980 wrote:

 

I love all those toy lines, I was making a point that if you hate Sp line based on articulation and sculpt then you must hate the others as well, because essentially they were no better...IMO

 

You have got to be kidding! First of all, GI Joe, Megos, Micronauts, etc all had far better articulation than Superpowers. That's a fact. They had better anatomical proportions. Superpowers figures were short and fat. That's a fact. They looked fat with barrel chests. Look at Mr. Miracle for one of the worst examples. He looks live an overweight transvestite. The sculpts were in many cases horribly inaccurate...look at Mantis, Orion, Steppenwolf, etc. That's a fact. Now granted, Mego didn't always get the costume perfect. It had its share of inaccuracies. But at least they had character, and far better articulation. And they didn't look anatomically freakish.

 

GI Joe had infinitely better articulation than Superpowers. That's a fact. Plus, the toy line featured far more vehicles, playsets, accessories, and sheer play potential than Superpowers. That's a fact. GI Joe had realistic faces, not the constipated, inhuman look that so many Superpowers toys had. That's a fact.

 

So you can't honestly claim that those toy lines were no better than Superpowers, because they are. Provably and undeniably so.

 

This TOPIC IS EXPLODING!!!!

explosion_animated_gif.gif

Anyway, my point is for all those who complain about SP, I don't understand considering what else was available before and during that time.

 

StarWars

The sculpts weren't impressive and looked less like their counterparts than SP figures

 

 

Han Solo looks less like Han Solo than say Superman looks liek Superman below

 

I don't see squat little action figures, maybe some of you need to adjust your glasses

, he was also designed like all the rest after how they were drawn for the time.

http://forums.toynewsi.com/public/style_images/master/rte_icons/picture.png

My point is not to talk bad about SW toys but rather, how can you say SP had bad sculpts but then praise SW figures???

 

Ah, cmon now. You're being a little deceptive. Superpowers came out in 1984. That SW fig was one of the first and came out in 1977. By 1984, the SW figs were much improved in detail (but the articulation was pretty much the same).

 

I think this is the Han Solo that was released in 84.

small_nocoo.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Superpowers1980 wrote:

 

I love all those toy lines, I was making a point that if you hate Sp line based on articulation and sculpt then you must hate the others as well, because essentially they were no better...IMO

 

You have got to be kidding! First of all, GI Joe, Megos, Micronauts, etc all had far better articulation than Superpowers. That's a fact. They had better anatomical proportions. Superpowers figures were short and fat. That's a fact. They looked fat with barrel chests. Look at Mr. Miracle for one of the worst examples. He looks live an overweight transvestite. The sculpts were in many cases horribly inaccurate...look at Mantis, Orion, Steppenwolf, etc. That's a fact. Now granted, Mego didn't always get the costume perfect. It had its share of inaccuracies. But at least they had character, and far better articulation. And they didn't look anatomically freakish.

 

GI Joe had infinitely better articulation than Superpowers. That's a fact. Plus, the toy line featured far more vehicles, playsets, accessories, and sheer play potential than Superpowers. That's a fact. GI Joe had realistic faces, not the constipated, inhuman look that so many Superpowers toys had. That's a fact.

 

So you can't honestly claim that those toy lines were no better than Superpowers, because they are. Provably and undeniably so.

 

This TOPIC IS EXPLODING!!!!

explosion_animated_gif.gif

Anyway, my point is for all those who complain about SP, I don't understand considering what else was available before and during that time.

 

StarWars

The sculpts weren't impressive and looked less like their counterparts than SP figures

 

 

Han Solo looks less like Han Solo than say Superman looks liek Superman below

 

I don't see squat little action figures, maybe some of you need to adjust your glasses

, he was also designed like all the rest after how they were drawn for the time.

http://forums.toynew...ons/picture.png

My point is not to talk bad about SW toys but rather, how can you say SP had bad sculpts but then praise SW figures???

 

Ah, cmon now. You're being a little deceptive. Superpowers came out in 1984. That SW fig was one of the first and came out in 1977. By 1984, the SW figs were much improved in detail (but the articulation was pretty much the same).

 

I think this is the Han Solo that was released in 84.

small_nocoo.jpg

 

Not trying to be deceptiive, I put in Kenner Han Solo and pictures came up, snagged the best one with him out of the box. Even with the picture you provided....Han isn't superior to Superman or any other SP figure and that is my whole point. It's just weird to say SW figures were better but then complain about sculpts/articulation on SP when SP had equal or superior sculpts and more articulation...graned only a knee joint but its still more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Superpowers1980 wrote:

 

1. Screw Adventure team -- basically boy barbies. I am sure all boys who craved the real-life hair joes wear panties today

 

2. Again, screw micronauts........i mean seriously, they were popular but even with their articulation, they weren't nearly as successful as SP

 

3. Marx best of west wre nice, but seriously better than SP, your smoking major dope man, stop free-basing

 

First of all, being crude and tactless is not going to win the debate for you. Your pathetic arguments don't even address the issue. Second, you seem to have sexual hang ups about toys. Were you one of those kids who were afraid of being seen playing with "dolls", and that's why you fear GI Joe?

 

So how about trying to address the points? Micronauts were indeed very successful. They were the #1 selling Mego toy at one time. And they accomplished that based on the quality of the toys themselves, not having the 40 years of comic book support that Super Powers did. I would guess that they probably sold about as well as Super Powers. They had far better sculpt quality, far better articulation, far better accessories, far more vehicles and playsets. So how are they inferior to Super Powers?

 

Adventure Team outsold in a year what Super Powers did in its entire existence. Again, far more articulation, far more accessories, nicer sculpts, more play potential, etc. We can say the same for Best of the West.

 

Try arguing the points instead of saying vapid, idiotic things like "stop free-basing". You can always tell when someone lacks the intelligence to debate the facts of the issue by the way they ignore talking points and instead go straight to insults.

 

4. Mego - classics...IMO not neraly as cool as SP, I mean seriously, which Superman is the definitive version (snip) I don't see squat little action figures, maybe some of you need to adjust your glasses

 

Really? So look once again at that Mego sculpt. Now you tell me that's not better anatomically and proportionately than this hideous monstrosity:

 

spmrmiracleloose.jpg

 

Barrel chest, too squat, not heroic proportion, knock-kneed, fat thighs...is this what a superhero looks like? Or is this a sculpt of some fat guy at the office Halloween party? Who needs glasses? The picture does not lie.

 

So how about an intelligent reply for a change, instead of meaningless drivel such as "screw this, screw that, are you a crack head" responses?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Superpowers1980 wrote:

 

1. Screw Adventure team -- basically boy barbies. I am sure all boys who craved the real-life hair joes wear panties today

 

2. Again, screw micronauts........i mean seriously, they were popular but even with their articulation, they weren't nearly as successful as SP

 

3. Marx best of west wre nice, but seriously better than SP, your smoking major dope man, stop free-basing

 

First of all, being crude and tactless is not going to win the debate for you. Your pathetic arguments don't even address the issue. Second, you seem to have sexual hang ups about toys. Were you one of those kids who were afraid of being seen playing with "dolls", and that's why you fear GI Joe?

 

So how about trying to address the points? Micronauts were indeed very successful. They were the #1 selling Mego toy at one time. And they accomplished that based on the quality of the toys themselves, not having the 40 years of comic book support that Super Powers did. I would guess that they probably sold about as well as Super Powers. They had far better sculpt quality, far better articulation, far better accessories, far more vehicles and playsets. So how are they inferior to Super Powers?

 

Adventure Team outsold in a year what Super Powers did in its entire existence. Again, far more articulation, far more accessories, nicer sculpts, more play potential, etc. We can say the same for Best of the West.

 

Try arguing the points instead of saying vapid, idiotic things like "stop free-basing". You can always tell when someone lacks the intelligence to debate the facts of the issue by the way they ignore talking points and instead go straight to insults.

 

4. Mego - classics...IMO not neraly as cool as SP, I mean seriously, which Superman is the definitive version (snip) I don't see squat little action figures, maybe some of you need to adjust your glasses

 

Really? So look once again at that Mego sculpt. Now you tell me that's not better anatomically and proportionately than this hideous monstrosity:

 

spmrmiracleloose.jpg

 

Barrel chest, too squat, not heroic proportion, knock-kneed, fat thighs...is this what a superhero looks like? Or is this a sculpt of some fat guy at the office Halloween party? Who needs glasses? The picture does not lie.

 

So how about an intelligent reply for a change, instead of meaningless drivel such as "screw this, screw that, are you a crack head" responses?

 

 

*blah*, *blah*, *blah*, *blah*, I don't care how you dissect what it is a write, its my style, its what I like, I find it humorous and I will continue!

 

Either way you ignored key points on purpose because your argument is moot. You can take your crappy micronauts, they are boring and terrible.......blame the success of SP on the 50 years of fans, but remember that sure didn't sell Total Justice figures.

 

You make me laugh Xorr, this is over, you lose

 

Oh btw, Mr Miracle is a terrible figure.....WOW, it really hurts my...uhh....no it doesn't hurt.

 

and your hair ken dolls with guns suck too, the only Joes worthwhile is RAH.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super powers were great for their time. Hell you used to be able to get them for free from Shell for buying some gas. Now thats mainstream. The action feature sucked then and still does today. The secret wars figures were great for the same reason that it was the first time we got the characters in non doll format. Other than that the figures don't hold up at all today.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Superpowers1980 wrote:

 

*blah*, *blah*, *blah*, *blah*, I don't care how you dissect what it is a write, its my style, its what I like, I find it humorous and I will continue!

 

So continue that way. Just understand that because you fail to address the points, you lose. I'm not sure where you "learned" to debate, but you need to ask for your money back. Saying "Screw that, those dolls suck and that is my writing style blah blah blah" isn't going to win the debate for you, nor will it endear you to the people you insult. You come off like an angry, biased, uneducated commentator.

 

Either way you ignored key points on purpose because your argument is moot

 

Precisely which "key points" did I ignore?

 

You can take your crappy micronauts, they are boring and terrible

 

A meaningless statement that proves nothing. Show me how Micronauts were inferior quality-wise. Show me how they had inferior sculpts or less articulation. Saying "well they were boring" is a subjective non-fact and tells us nothing.

 

blame the success of SP on the 50 years of fans, but remember that sure didn't sell Total Justice figures.

 

You clearly did not get the point, as usual. What I was trying to explain to you is that Superpowers had 40 years of comic readership behind it, which gave them a huge advantage over a toy that had no such support or history. And yet still Micronauts sold better.

 

You make me laugh Xorr, this is over, you lose

 

Really? And at which point precisely in the debate did you prove me wrong? I have a clue for you, no charge this time. Saying "screw this and screw that" and calling figures "dolls" and collectors "free-basers" did not win the debate for you. It just made you look crude and unable to engage in intelligent conversation. So no, I do not lose. You lose. Try a debate course online or something.

 

Oh btw, Mr Miracle is a terrible figure.....WOW, it really hurts my...uhh....no it doesn't hurt.

 

and your hair ken dolls with guns suck too, the only Joes worthwhile is RAH.

 

So you're trying to tell us that the horrible Mr. Miracle figure I posted has better anatomy, proportion, and sculpt than the Mego Superman? Is that what you're saying?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Superpowers1980 wrote:

 

*blah*, *blah*, *blah*, *blah*, I don't care how you dissect what it is a write, its my style, its what I like, I find it humorous and I will continue!

 

So continue that way. Just understand that because you fail to address the points, you lose. I'm not sure where you "learned" to debate, but you need to ask for your money back. Saying "Screw that, those dolls suck and that is my writing style blah blah blah" isn't going to win the debate for you, nor will it endear you to the people you insult. You come off like an angry, biased, uneducated commentator.

 

Either way you ignored key points on purpose because your argument is moot

 

Precisely which "key points" did I ignore?

 

You can take your crappy micronauts, they are boring and terrible

 

A meaningless statement that proves nothing. Show me how Micronauts were inferior quality-wise. Show me how they had inferior sculpts or less articulation. Saying "well they were boring" is a subjective non-fact and tells us nothing.

 

blame the success of SP on the 50 years of fans, but remember that sure didn't sell Total Justice figures.

 

You clearly did not get the point, as usual. What I was trying to explain to you is that Superpowers had 40 years of comic readership behind it, which gave them a huge advantage over a toy that had no such support or history. And yet still Micronauts sold better.

 

You make me laugh Xorr, this is over, you lose

 

Really? And at which point precisely in the debate did you prove me wrong? I have a clue for you, no charge this time. Saying "screw this and screw that" and calling figures "dolls" and collectors "free-basers" did not win the debate for you. It just made you look crude and unable to engage in intelligent conversation. So no, I do not lose. You lose. Try a debate course online or something.

 

Oh btw, Mr Miracle is a terrible figure.....WOW, it really hurts my...uhh....no it doesn't hurt.

 

and your hair ken dolls with guns suck too, the only Joes worthwhile is RAH.

 

So you're trying to tell us that the horrible Mr. Miracle figure I posted has better anatomy, proportion, and sculpt than the Mego Superman? Is that what you're saying?

 

Dude, you are insane, Mirconauts in no way outsold Super Powers, point blank!

 

Doesn't make a difference how much history is behind a line, if figures suck, then they suck and people don't buy. Kids like the SP line because it was excellent, then and now. You can't compare them to DCUC in terms of sculpt, its a different era now, look at the Joes, look at the Transformers, everything has evolved. You couldn't imagine TF that are as posable today versus yesterday. Look at MOTUC, better than the originals.....

 

Your list is terrible, SP's were a huge success and a big deal at the time.

 

Now that I think about it I know young kids today who try to play with mine because they like them, which means they still do hold up to some extent, they are better. SP's were better than Toy Biz figures of the 90's, better than IH of today.

 

You can have your barbie/man toys all you like, your list is terrible, never does any of those lines you mention ever show up on a publications top ten.

 

I was in agreement regarding MM, that particular figure is fat and has a barrel chest, no figure line is perfect...shall I count the nameless crap wonders from various toylines....good to excellent toylines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Superpowers1980 rants on...

 

Dude, you are insane, Mirconauts in no way outsold Super Powers, point blank!

 

Really? Then show me sales figures. You never post facts in your replies, just unfounded opinion. Did Superpowers outsell Micronauts? I doubt it, but I'd need to see sales figures. Cough them up.

 

Also note that popularity and sales are no guarantee of or measure of quality. Walmart and Dollar Tree specialize in cheap crap and it sells.

 

Doesn't make a difference how much history is behind a line, if figures suck, then they suck and people don't buy.

 

So you say that people won't buy "sucky" figures, you imply that Micronauts and GI Joe suck, and yet they were wildly popular and lasted far longer than and probably outsold (definitely in the case of GI Joe) Superpowers.

 

Kids like the SP line because it was excellent, then and now.

 

Wrong. As usual. Kids liked them then because it was all they had and was the most complete (and virtually only) superhero toy line at the time. They would not sell today due to crappy sculpts or articulation.

 

You can't compare them to DCUC in terms of sculpt, its a different era now, look at the Joes, look at the Transformers, everything has evolved. You couldn't imagine TF that are as posable today versus yesterday. Look at MOTUC, better than the originals.....

 

Yes, we can compare them. Aesthetics is aesthetics. Articulation is articulation. GI Joe and Micronauts had far more articulation, better sculpts, and more accessories than Super Powers despite each having been released many years before Super Powers. Comparing Superpowers to those lines is like de-evolution!

 

Your list is terrible, SP's were a huge success and a big deal at the time.

 

Ummm...I hate to break it to you son, but GI Joe remains the #1 selling boy's toy of all time (at least action-figure wise). GI Joe (the originals) far outsold Superpowers. GI Joe probably sold more in its first year than Superpowers did in its entire existence! Atomic Man alone sold over a million figures when he was introduced.

 

Now that I think about it I know young kids today who try to play with mine because they like them, which means they still do hold up to some extent, they are better. SP's were better than Toy Biz figures of the 90's, better than IH of today.

 

Not when it comes to durability, sculpt, proportion, etc. You're arguing your opinion only, which is totally subjective, not objective fact. That's why you have such trouble debating...you can't understand the difference.

 

You can have your barbie/man toys all you like, your list is terrible, never does any of those lines you mention ever show up on a publications top ten.

 

Then you're reading some very poorly researched top ten lists.

 

I was in agreement regarding MM, that particular figure is fat and has a barrel chest, no figure line is perfect...shall I count the nameless crap wonders from various toylines....good to excellent toylines.

 

Then there's the silly looking old man Luthor, the giant-headed Joker, etc, etc. Bad sculpting was a specialty of the Superpowers line.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I liked Superpowers when I was little.. they were great... but I don't think their sculpts hold up to today's standards.. they just didn't have enough detail.

 

DCUC is alot better..

 

 

But I don't think DCUC is as good as Toybiz's Marvel Legends... although it is better than Hasbro's

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of which, do they make any Marvel lines with similar sculpts and articulation in the same scale as the DCUC figures? I never see anything other than those damned tiny 2" tall midget figures. I'd love to pit some Marvel characters against DC, just not sure which line is in scale to DCUC. Anyone?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Superpowers1980 rants on...

 

Dude, you are insane, Mirconauts in no way outsold Super Powers, point blank!

 

Really? Then show me sales figures. You never post facts in your replies, just unfounded opinion. Did Superpowers outsell Micronauts? I doubt it, but I'd need to see sales figures. Cough them up.

 

Also note that popularity and sales are no guarantee of or measure of quality. Walmart and Dollar Tree specialize in cheap crap and it sells.

 

Doesn't make a difference how much history is behind a line, if figures suck, then they suck and people don't buy.

 

So you say that people won't buy "sucky" figures, you imply that Micronauts and GI Joe suck, and yet they were wildly popular and lasted far longer than and probably outsold (definitely in the case of GI Joe) Superpowers.

 

Kids like the SP line because it was excellent, then and now.

 

Wrong. As usual. Kids liked them then because it was all they had and was the most complete (and virtually only) superhero toy line at the time. They would not sell today due to crappy sculpts or articulation.

 

You can't compare them to DCUC in terms of sculpt, its a different era now, look at the Joes, look at the Transformers, everything has evolved. You couldn't imagine TF that are as posable today versus yesterday. Look at MOTUC, better than the originals.....

 

Yes, we can compare them. Aesthetics is aesthetics. Articulation is articulation. GI Joe and Micronauts had far more articulation, better sculpts, and more accessories than Super Powers despite each having been released many years before Super Powers. Comparing Superpowers to those lines is like de-evolution!

 

Your list is terrible, SP's were a huge success and a big deal at the time.

 

Ummm...I hate to break it to you son, but GI Joe remains the #1 selling boy's toy of all time (at least action-figure wise). GI Joe (the originals) far outsold Superpowers. GI Joe probably sold more in its first year than Superpowers did in its entire existence! Atomic Man alone sold over a million figures when he was introduced.

 

Now that I think about it I know young kids today who try to play with mine because they like them, which means they still do hold up to some extent, they are better. SP's were better than Toy Biz figures of the 90's, better than IH of today.

 

Not when it comes to durability, sculpt, proportion, etc. You're arguing your opinion only, which is totally subjective, not objective fact. That's why you have such trouble debating...you can't understand the difference.

 

You can have your barbie/man toys all you like, your list is terrible, never does any of those lines you mention ever show up on a publications top ten.

 

Then you're reading some very poorly researched top ten lists.

 

I was in agreement regarding MM, that particular figure is fat and has a barrel chest, no figure line is perfect...shall I count the nameless crap wonders from various toylines....good to excellent toylines.

 

Then there's the silly looking old man Luthor, the giant-headed Joker, etc, etc. Bad sculpting was a specialty of the Superpowers line.

 

 

 

 

 

 

YOU WERE THE ONE WHO STATED MICRONAUTS OUTSOLD SP's!!!!

 

I am not even going to defend the Super Powers line against you anymore, you don't like them then you don't like WGAS.

 

 

Also I don't understsand why people are putting up SP vs DCUC. Of course the sculpts are better for DCUC. I think the person who posted the topic meant as an overall concept, essentials, features, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, hopefully that is over and we can get back to the actual discussion, and not introduce lines not pertaining to comics, as was posted in the opening thread!! Sure there are other lines, but this discussion was meant solely to discuss the merits of DCUC against other DC Comics lines and other comic lines in general!! Besides the GI JOE A Real American Hero line is still the greatest action figure line ever!!! But that's a different thread altogether!!

 

As to why, because even after 25 years new DC lines are still compared to Super Powers!!!! It is and up to now was the perenial DC line!! Has DCUC finally surpassed it or did the JLI line do that?? How about Total Justice, ha ha ha I keed!! What about best comic line in general, butdon'tt base your answer on whether or not it's your favorite comic universe, but by how well each line does in representing their respective universes!!!

 

So please continue to discuss.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, hopefully that is over and we can get back to the actual discussion, and not introduce lines not pertaining to comics, as was posted in the opening thread!! Sure there are other lines, but this discussion was meant solely to discuss the merits of DCUC against other DC Comics lines and other comic lines in general!! Besides the GI JOE A Real American Hero line is still the greatest action figure line ever!!! But that's a different thread altogether!!

 

As to why, because even after 25 years new DC lines are still compared to Super Powers!!!! It is and up to now was the perenial DC line!! Has DCUC finally surpassed it or did the JLI line do that?? How about Total Justice, ha ha ha I keed!! What about best comic line in general, butdon'tt base your answer on whether or not it's your favorite comic universe, but by how well each line does in representing their respective universes!!!

 

So please continue to discuss.....

I would like to weigh in on the subject. I think there are 4 main criteria that we can use to compare different lines of figures: Sculpt, character selection, production quality, and articulation.

 

By way of full disclosure, I will say I remember seeing the Super Powers figures on the shelf when they first came out, and was turned off by the sculpting. Most of the figures were (and remain) quite chunky, to my eye. So obviously I'm going to say DCUC has surpassed Super Powers in sculpting.

 

Point 2, character selection. Until the later waves of DCUC, Super Powers was the undisputed champ of DC character selection in a toy line. But considering that DCUC has recreated nearly all of the Super Powers characters (including those that were created just for the Super Powers line or were re-designed for it), plus many characters never in the Super Powers series, the win goes to DCUC again.

 

Number 3, production quality. This one I'm going to defer on, because I have no first hand experience with the Super Powers figures, having passed on them as I've mentioned. However, I will say that the anecdotal reports I've heard regarding the Super Powers figures hasn't ever mentioned quality issues. DCUC sadly has had its' share of quality control issues. So those who bought Super Powers in the day, any production quality issues?

 

Lastly, articulation, which based on number of points of articulation is an obvious no brainer. Ditto with range of movement, posability, etc. "Play value" is more of an intangible because kids will play with, and have a good deal of fun, with figures that have no articulation at all. But I suspect precious few DCUC are actually being played with. Though I did see a six or seven year old in Wal-Mart one time with a loose DCUC Flash clutched in his grubby little fist, so that gives me some hope. But for the win, it has to go to DCUC.

 

So, in my opinion, yes, DCUC has surpassed Super Powers, based on my criteria. But the one thing it can never overcome is nostalgia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, hopefully that is over and we can get back to the actual discussion, and not introduce lines not pertaining to comics, as was posted in the opening thread!! Sure there are other lines, but this discussion was meant solely to discuss the merits of DCUC against other DC Comics lines and other comic lines in general!! Besides the GI JOE A Real American Hero line is still the greatest action figure line ever!!! But that's a different thread altogether!!

 

As to why, because even after 25 years new DC lines are still compared to Super Powers!!!! It is and up to now was the perenial DC line!! Has DCUC finally surpassed it or did the JLI line do that?? How about Total Justice, ha ha ha I keed!! What about best comic line in general, butdon'tt base your answer on whether or not it's your favorite comic universe, but by how well each line does in representing their respective universes!!!

 

So please continue to discuss.....

 

I didn't know there was such hate for the Super Powers line, or the fact that many thought they were *cluncky/fat* and ignored them when they were on the shelves back in 84-86.

 

DCUC has taken the DC Universe much farther than any other line in history. DCUC has reach a milestone and has even surpassed DC Direct. DCUC is the overall best line for DC characters....BUT....Super Powers set the ideal standard for awesomeness for hero related toys. Despite the crabs here who hate the line, Super Powers were very successful and hold the hearts to many collectors to the day. They captured a bright era in DC Comics and of the general times. Watch those old commercials on youtube and tell me they aren't awesome. DCUC is a superior product but that doesn't replace the gold status of the Super Powers line.

 

Here is my take:

 

DCUC - the overall best line for DC Comics...the only major problems is Mattel's inability to keep quality at a top level, the only major stain on the line...oh a tiny armed females.

 

Super Powers - IMO, they are the gold standard, they will forever have a special place for many. Also one of the few lines with detailed vehicles. Also the only line to have TONS of tie-in promotions.

 

DC Super Heroes - Super Powers were so good, Toy Biz copied the style unsuccessfully. Limited and cheap.

 

Mego WGSH - The classics of all classics. They are cool boy dolls, and remain the essential.

 

JLU - The novelty line, both essential and non-essential, depends on the person

 

Total Justice - IMO the most boring and non-essential line for DC Characters

 

DCIH - A total waste of time and space...IMO

 

DC Direct - DC Direct has a special place in a special market to service DC figures. They are a gold standard on their execution on artist likeness (that alone makes them a gold standard) and story arcs. I mean seriously, there are no figures except DC Direct that has figures based on Jack Kirby's work and Alex Ross' work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As to why, because even after 25 years new DC lines are still compared to Super Powers!!!! It is and up to now was the perenial DC line!! Has DCUC finally surpassed it or did the JLI line do that?? How about Total Justice, ha ha ha I keed!! What about best comic line in general, butdon'tt base your answer on whether or not it's your favorite comic universe, but by how well each line does in representing their respective universes!!!

 

So please continue to discuss.....

 

I think DCUC has surpassed it. I get the sense that one of the criteria fans choose to gauge the toys by is how "realistic" they are, and for a long while SuperPowers was it.

Even after Total Justice came along, the SuperPowers camp still had some claim to say that SuperPowers was still de rigeur.

Personally, I liked Total Justice for what it was, and had most of both it and the Super Powers line. My collecting reasoning was that if the latest thing was "better" in some regards, like sculpt, then its supplants the former. I no longer have my Super Powers or Total Justice collections, because DCUC has taken their place.

Super Powers surpasses Megos, Total Justice, in some ways surpassed SuperPowers ( sculpt, detailing), and DCUC has surpassed Total Justice.

I never got into the animated DC stuff, as the articulation was too limited for me ( but then, so was Total Justice--I dug their sculpts)so I cannot count that in my own assessment. By rights of character rosters though, JL & JLU can stand equal to SuperPowers right now.

DCUC is just at a whole different plateau for me. There's better sculpts and detailing, articulation and just plaim more of what I look for in a superhero action figure.

Right now, for DC characters, DCUC is the top dog. Super Powers and all the others are waaaaaay behind in the dust.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right now, for DC characters, DCUC is the top dog. Super Powers and all the others are waaaaaay behind in the dust.

 

Meh...not exactly. I personally think DC Direct tops DCUC, Super Powers, and Total Justice.

 

DCUC has a long way to go sculpt-wise. They can start with not making nearly every male torso the same and scale down the shoulders a bit so they're not as big as the character's heads.

 

After that, drop the price about $5 and make them available so that you don't have to waste huge amounts of time and/or money to own some....then we'll talk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Find Action Figures on Ebay

×
×
  • Create New...
Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE