Jump to content

I hate the C&C or BAF concept!!!!!


rodimusconvoy21

Recommended Posts

Hey...it's either C&C or nothing. Half of the bigger characters wouldn't see the light of day without the BaF/C&C method.

 

I agree with this. It's probably MORE than half. Mattel would never put out a series of "giant" figures in this volatile market, especially with "anchors" like Trigon and Imperiex. I think CnCs are an awesome way to get more figures out to collectors and fans.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

EldestSon wrote:

 

I re-read that post. I don't see a logical explanation as to why you feel mattel is forcing you to buy toys.

 

Please elaborate.

 

Oh and speaking of reading comprehension, were you not able to understand the rest of my post? The part you quoted and the part you didn't quote?

 

Just admit you're trolling already.

 

I made it crystal clear. If you need more elaboration, then you're simply not listening and there's no way to explain it to you any clearer. And here is a Civility 101 lesson. Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not mean that person is trolling. Apparently you're the type who, when he cannot handle debate, descends into immediate name calling.

 

Rash wrote:

 

Exactly! HOW DARE companies try and make money!!! Why...Why they should just GIVE us the toys for free!! And free Pizza, too! All you can eat!! Greedy bastards...

 

Now you're just being silly and facetious. Nobody has said or even implied such an absurd claim. My argument personally is that they should simply sell the BAF/C&C figures separately.

 

Oh, so now it's "extortion"..??? So someone is LITERALLY holding a gun to your head, or threatening a member of your family to get you to buy all the figures in a wave???

 

I've explained this as clearly as possible in the English language and I stand by my original post. Try reading it.

 

While you're checking to see if your GIGANTA doll has any panties on, you might want to take a look at the Dictionary definition of "extortion". Then take a basic course in economics, followed by finding "a job".

 

Why would you think I have no job? Do you think I get all these collectibles by sheer charm based on my good looks and sparkling personality? :D

 

Your insults stick about as well as ice cubes on Teflon, by the way.

 

Cjflan wrote:

 

Xorr, please explain to everyone how the Build-a-whatever concept is illegal.

 

On the contrary, why don't you explain it? I never said it was illegal. You did. My use of the word "extortion" was flippancy, not a literal statement. I assumed the average reader would be intelligent enough to understand that.

 

Better yet, have a nice hot cup of shut the f*** up and troll somewhere else because you have no idea what you're talking about.

 

Are you related to EldestSon? It's not trolling to disagree with people. Grow up.

 

Back to normal conversation, Pooda wrote:

 

Hey...it's either C&C or nothing. Half of the bigger characters wouldn't see the light of day without the BaF/C&C method.

 

I disagree. They could sell them separately and people would buy them. Darkseid, for example, could sell for quite a bit more while still being cheaper than having to buy 6 figures to get assemble him or having to pay on ebay. There are plenty of people who want the BAF/C&C characters but don't have the desire or income to have to buy every other figure in each wave in order to obtain them. So Mattel loses out on those sales. But of more importance is why Mattel isn't even getting the damned toys into the stores! I prowl the entire Chicagoland area and the suburbs north, south, and west, and I have never seen Wave 11, not a single character. Ever. Never found a single Wave 9 figure except for Black Canary and most of them were broken. And so on. I mean, if Mattel is going to force people to buy all the characters in each wave just to get the BAF, at least ship the figures to the damned stores so we can actually buy them! :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EldestSon wrote:

 

I re-read that post. I don't see a logical explanation as to why you feel mattel is forcing you to buy toys.

 

Please elaborate.

 

Oh and speaking of reading comprehension, were you not able to understand the rest of my post? The part you quoted and the part you didn't quote?

 

Just admit you're trolling already.

 

I made it crystal clear. If you need more elaboration, then you're simply not listening and there's no way to explain it to you any clearer. And here is a Civility 101 lesson. Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not mean that person is trolling. Apparently you're the type who, when he cannot handle debate, descends into immediate name calling.

 

 

 

No one here understands how you can say Mattel is forcing you to buy a figure. I guess that means everyone here is not listening? I guess it's completely impossible that you just haven't explained yourself properly?\

 

You absolutely have NOT explained how Mattel or any other toy company has forced you to buy anything.

 

Are they using a gun? Are they threatening you? Do they charge your card w/o your permission?

 

Mattel offers toys for purchase. You CHOOSE to buy them.

 

I mean, I think you are saying that in order to get the complete BAF you have to purchase all the figs in the wave. But with the advent of the internet and places like ebay (not to mention this very toysite...ask ladyjay), that's simply not true. Go on ebay and buy the pieces you want w/o the figure.

 

As for being civil...

 

"Reading Comp 101. I covered that already. See my reply to Rash, second paragraph. I think someone isn't paying attention."

 

Saying Reading Comp 101, isn't meant as an insult?

 

 

I disagree. They could sell them separately and people would buy them. Darkseid, for example, could sell for quite a bit more while still being cheaper than having to buy 6 figures to get assemble him or having to pay on ebay. There are plenty of people who want the BAF/C&C characters but don't have the desire or income to have to buy every other figure in each wave in order to obtain them. So Mattel loses out on those sales. But of more importance is why Mattel isn't even getting the damned toys into the stores! I prowl the entire Chicagoland area and the suburbs north, south, and west, and I have never seen Wave 11, not a single character. Ever. Never found a single Wave 9 figure except for Black Canary and most of them were broken. And so on. I mean, if Mattel is going to force people to buy all the characters in each wave just to get the BAF, at least ship the figures to the damned stores so we can actually buy them! :rolleyes:

 

Regarding this, I think you are missing the point entirely. The BAF piece is a bonus. You are buying a figure and getting a bonus piece to another figure.

 

It's akin to buying a box of cereal and getting a toy as a bonus.

 

And again, it's up to you to decide whether you want to buy the rest of the figures to build the BAF...or go on ebay and buy just the BAF pieces you want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey everyone,

 

Well i agree with Xorr all the way. These CnC's are terrible. Right now, a figure costs more than $18.00 with tax in NY. Buying 6 figures, in order to get the baf is a scam. I agree with all his points so i'm not going to rewrite them here.

 

Some people are finding illegal ways around the problem with switching out parts or returning w/o the baf altogether. If Mattel cared about this you would think they would sell individual parts on their website. Most people would pay 6.00 a part to get missing pieces, ebay has these parts going for almost as much as the figures. Seems to me that there are a couple of options to get the baf: 1) Buy everything, 2) stop collecting, 3) steal the parts, 4) Buy the parts at inflated prices on ebay.

 

So which one is the better solution? Seems to me that the best marketing is the kind that attracts people to the product, not quit collecting or stealing. BTW for those that don't think collecting can be an addiction, can someone please explain why switching out parts in this line is soo common?

 

regards

Joshua

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey everyone,

 

Well i agree with Xorr all the way. These CnC's are terrible. Right now, a figure costs more than $18.00 with tax in NY. Buying 6 figures, in order to get the baf is a scam. I agree with all his points so i'm not going to rewrite them here.

 

Some people are finding illegal ways around the problem with switching out parts or returning w/o the baf altogether. If Mattel cared about this you would think they would sell individual parts on their website. Most people would pay 6.00 a part to get missing pieces, ebay has these parts going for almost as much as the figures. Seems to me that there are a couple of options to get the baf: 1) Buy everything, 2) stop collecting, 3) steal the parts, 4) Buy the parts at inflated prices on ebay.

 

So which one is the better solution? Seems to me that the best marketing is the kind that attracts people to the product, not quit collecting or stealing. BTW for those that don't think collecting can be an addiction, can someone please explain why switching out parts in this line is soo common?

 

regards

Joshua

 

You agree that Mattel is forcing you to buy toys? That Mattel is extorting you to buy toys? Are those the points you agree with?

 

Again, don't want to buy all the figs in the wave to get the BAF, then don't. But the whole BAF or the pieces you need on ebay. Or trade with others like Ladyjaye and many others are doing. I was missing Grodd's arm (aquaman). I fellow TNIer offered to sell me his extra one for $3. I bought it and now I have Grodd and didn't have to buy the gold/green Aquaman. AMAZING I KNOW!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EldestSon wrote:

 

No one here understands how you can say Mattel is forcing you to buy a figure.

 

Oh, so now you know what everyone is thinking and presume to speak for everyone? Interesting.

 

You absolutely have NOT explained how Mattel or any other toy company has forced you to buy anything.

 

I've made it crystal clear. Your problem is that you don't agree with me and you think that I'm wrong. So you simply cannot accept what's being said.

 

As for being civil...

 

"Reading Comp 101. I covered that already. See my reply to Rash, second paragraph. I think someone isn't paying attention."

 

Saying Reading Comp 101, isn't meant as an insult?

 

No, not at all. It's simply an admonition to actually try reading what you're responding to, and to do so without your typical knee-jerk reaction of "you're wrong because you disagree with EldestSon and so therefore you must be a troll!".

 

Since this is so difficult for you, and since you keep crying for a better explanation, and in order to show why I was justified to post the "Reading Comp 101" post, I will recap this for everyone to see. Try following along without pre-judging this time.

 

You keep saying:

 

Are they using a gun? Are they threatening you? Do they charge your card w/o your permission?

 

Mattel offers toys for purchase. You CHOOSE to buy them.

 

And I will go back to what I originally said:

 

Their marketing strategy is based on greed, ie forcing people to buy multiple items they may not want in order to get the item they do want.

 

I never said or implied that I was being forced at gunpoint to buy anything. You're taking too literal and outrageous an interpretation simply because you don't argee with me so you're looking for a way for em to be "wrong" to that you can call me a "troll". Yes, I can choose not to buy any Mattel figures. That's never been my point. I clearly stated that it is greedy marketing that Mattel forces people to buy figures they do not want in order to get the ones they do want.

 

In that original post, I clearly stated:

 

And before you even try arguing that you can get Giganta on ebay, I will point out that someone, usually a scalper, has to buy all those individual figures in order to assemble a Giganta, and then the person buying Giganta on ebay has to essentially pay for all the other figures they don't want. The only difference in buying on ebay is you're not physically getting the actual figures you don't want, you're just paying for them. So it's a double-rip-off.

 

Please be keenly aware of the bold type.

 

And after I posted that, you replied:

 

And please don't answer with "the only way to build a BAF is to buy all the figs in a wave" because A) that's false (ie, you could buy the pieces on ebay for example) and B) you don't have to buy all the figs and you don't have to build the BAF.

 

See? I already preemptively covered and explained why your argument about ebay was wrong, and yet you still asked it after supposedly reading my post. Hence, the Reading Comp 101 remark was warranted.

 

See, you problem is that you have a pathological aversion to people disagreeing with you and you feel the need to denigrate them and label them trolls in order to shut them up. When you don't agree with someone, you change the argument subtly in order to change its original meaning so that you can "become right". The example in this case being your changing of the original intent of the debate ("Mattel forces people to buy figures they don't want in order to get the figure they do want") into an absolute statement that was never said ("Mattel forces people to buy their figures"). I never claimed the latter. I am right about the former. It is a fact. Even if you buy the parts on ebay or the complete figure, someone is forced to buy all those figures in order to obtain the parts, and, as I said earlier:

 

And before you even try arguing that you can get Giganta on ebay, I will point out that someone, usually a scalper, has to buy all those individual figures in order to assemble a Giganta, and then the person buying Giganta on ebay has to essentially pay for all the other figures they don't want. The only difference in buying on ebay is you're not physically getting the actual figures you don't want, you're just paying for them.

 

So unless and until you can show me how someone can simply purchase an individual Darkseid figure without having to either buy the other figures needed to assemble him, or pay off someone else who has already bought all the other figures needed to assemble him (which is, in essence, being forced to pay for the other figures, the difference being you don't receive the actual figures but rather pay off someone else's purchase of them), you are wrong. Live with it. This is the real world. People who disagree with you are not merely "trolling". And changing the argument does not make you right.

 

I swear, with you it's like having to go to court!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

So Mattel loses out on those sales.

 

QUICK!! Someone CALL MATTEL NOW!!!! The Marketing Director of the DC-line needs to know that he's losing sales, and he needs to hire XORR as his expert sales and marketing consultant!

 

And to think that MATTEL, like all other manufacturers, hires people with REAL experience in business to run their sales and marketing divisions!!! What a bunch of dopes!!! If they'd just hang-out in the retail stores of North Chicago, they could find guys like XORR!!

 

..ahem...

 

In all seriousness, "XORR", have you ever worked in sales and marketing? Ever written a brand plan? Ever signed-off on a marketing forecast? Ever worked with an agency to develop product positioning? Ever analyzed market research to understand who your market is, and what they want? Ever looked at potential price-point analyses to determine what the BEST price is for your product? Or what price will change consumer behavior?

 

'Cuz if you had done any of these things (and you haven't), you'd understand that companies like MATTEL don't just sit around with their fingers in their bellybuttons until someone says "EUREKA! Let's build some DC-super hero toys!!!" It's a highly complicated process that attempts to eliminate as much ambiguity as possible. That's so the marketing and sales people can have confidence in their forecasts, and hit their numbers. Otherwise, they lose their jobs.

 

Take it from people who know what they're talking about. And yes, that means people like me. I can answer "YES" to each and every one of the questions I posed to you. That doesn't make me a genius, and it doesn't make me inherently better than you as a person...It simply means I can back-up my claims with the wisdom of experience.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh no, EldestSon! Someone agreed with me! I guess you were wrong once again when you claimed that "No one here understands how you can say Mattel is forcing you to buy a figure." Or is Flounnderr just another troll simply because he doesn't agree with you? :rolleyes:

 

And why are you so adamantly obsessed with you ebay argument? You wrote:

 

You agree that Mattel is forcing you to buy toys? That Mattel is extorting you to buy toys? Are those the points you agree with?

 

See, you clearly don't understand what is being argued. Nobody is saying that they are being forced to buy toys. You've warped the argument into this meaning so that you can be "right" because no one in their right mind can honestly claim that they are being forced to buy toys. But that's not what we're saying. What we are saying (which is totally different from what you seem to be hearing in your head) is that we are being forced to buy figures we don't want in order to obtain the figure(s) we do want. There's a huge difference there, and I think you know it and are purposely warping the argument because you can't stand being wrong or having others disagree with you.

 

As I said before, someone has to buy all 6 figures in order to assemble a BAF/C&C. Do you believe that the sellers on ebay have a secret source at Mattel that sells them complete BAF figures so that they can hawk them on ebay?

 

If you buy a BAF on ebay, you are being charged the price of all the figures needed to assemble the BAF, because the seller needed to buy all those figures to assemble it. No one can simply buy an individual Darkseid figure without having to either a) buy all the figures needed to assemble the BAF or B) pay someone else for all those figures needed to assemble the BAF.

 

The only difference is that in the former case you actually directly purchase the individual figures and in the latter you merely pay the price of the individual figures. Either way, you're forced to pay for 6 figures you may not want simply to get the one you do want. This can't be made any clearer. A kindergartner could understand this, so don't claim you can't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rash, to answer your questions succinctly, no. I have never gone into marketing. Zero experience there. But let's use common sense. Sure, there are probably enough collectors out there dumb enough to allow themselves to be forced to buy half a dozen figures they don't want in order to get the one they do want. Mattel counts on this addictive behavior. Consumers are well trained drones these days, as evidenced by the number who consider it an honor and a "sweet deal" to be manipulated in such a manner. Thirty, forty years ago that approach would never work, because consumers had integrity and discrimination ability then and could turn down a bad deal.

 

However, I see plenty of posts and comments by people who simply will not be getting figures like Darkseid or Giganta simply because they do not want to buy numerous other figures to get her. So they lose those customers. Some people get tired of it altogether and stop collecting.

 

On top of that, the so-called "geniuses" at Mattel can't seem to even get their product into the stores. So much for marketing know-how! If Mattel wanted my consumer dollar, and if they had any brains, they'd get Waves 9 & 11 in the stores in my area, which just so happens to be the 3rd largest metropolitan area in the entire country. There are comic books stores on every street corner. Duh! And yet these marketing geniuses can't seem to get their product in my hands. They aren't stocked at the stores, and they are often sold out online.

 

Mattel is not making this hobby easy. Which makes no sense, because if they made it easy, I'd buy more. Yes, I will hunt for the figures I want badly. But it's not worth my time to put so much effort into hunting down figures that I don't want so badly but that I'd buy in a heartbeat if it showed up on the shelf without me having to track one down like a bloodhound.

 

So don't lecture me about marketing. Mattel's marketing sucks. And they have admitted to their greed in that Toyfare article posted about Wave 14, where they publicly said that they need x number of consumers to buy every figure they make.

 

It's common sense. Get the figures to the customers with no hassle and they're gonna buy them. Make it impossible to find them, and they won't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And Flounnderr is right. I've seen plenty of ripped-open packages on the shelves because people are stealing parts they need. I guess all those people are tired or being forced to buy figures they don't want as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

You agree that Mattel is forcing you to buy toys? That Mattel is extorting you to buy toys? Are those the points you agree with?

 

Again, don't want to buy all the figs in the wave to get the BAF, then don't. But the whole BAF or the pieces you need on ebay. Or trade with others like Ladyjaye and many others are doing. I was missing Grodd's arm (aquaman). I fellow TNIer offered to sell me his extra one for $3. I bought it and now I have Grodd and didn't have to buy the gold/green Aquaman. AMAZING I KNOW!

 

Yes, I agree with that statement and most by Xorr on this subject. I'm glad that a fellow tnier was able to sell you a specific part for 3.00, that's a good deal. Unfortunately, that's not a realistic option for just about everyone else. BTW how much time have you spent looking for the part for 3.00's? a couple hours, days, weeks? Did you just call up ladyjaye, ask for the part and he said "sure, let me pull it out of my unlimited stock and sell it to you for 3.00. Do you also need Giganta's Head?" I know I was looking for a couple baf parts for months b/c I wasn't going to spend as much or close to it for the figure MOC.

 

regards

Joshua

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And Flounnderr is right. I've seen plenty of ripped-open packages on the shelves because people are stealing parts they need. I guess all those people are tired or being forced to buy figures they don't want as well.

 

 

I bought one of those I picked up The Question and the baf was missing but since it was ans still the onlt one I seen in this area I grabbed it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

You agree that Mattel is forcing you to buy toys? That Mattel is extorting you to buy toys? Are those the points you agree with?

 

Again, don't want to buy all the figs in the wave to get the BAF, then don't. But the whole BAF or the pieces you need on ebay. Or trade with others like Ladyjaye and many others are doing. I was missing Grodd's arm (aquaman). I fellow TNIer offered to sell me his extra one for $3. I bought it and now I have Grodd and didn't have to buy the gold/green Aquaman. AMAZING I KNOW!

 

Yes, I agree with that statement and most by Xorr on this subject. I'm glad that a fellow tnier was able to sell you a specific part for 3.00, that's a good deal. Unfortunately, that's not a realistic option for just about everyone else. BTW how much time have you spent looking for the part for 3.00's? a couple hours, days, weeks? Did you just call up ladyjaye, ask for the part and he said "sure, let me pull it out of my unlimited stock and sell it to you for 3.00. Do you also need Giganta's Head?" I know I was looking for a couple baf parts for months b/c I wasn't going to spend as much or close to it for the figure MOC.

 

regards

Joshua

 

I posted on the board that I was missing that piece. Another person saw that post and sent me an IM.

 

while I did spend other time looking for that piece on ebay and what not, that was my choice. mattel didn't force me to do that.

 

As for ladyjay, go back in this very thread and you'll see making a deal to get a figure or baf piece or something.

 

Again, I'm still waiting for someone to explain how they were forced to buy something. Keeping in mind that just because mattel places BAF pieces in 6 different packages doesn't force you to do anything.

 

that's like going to a restaurant and then complaining that to get a baked potato, you are forced to buy an entree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nobody is saying that they are being forced to buy toys.

 

that's exactly what you have said...repeatedly. you've also said mattel is extorting us.

 

don't make a statement that you clearly cannot back up.

 

 

Of course, then later, you again state you are forced to buy the figs to get the BAF. No you aren't. I've bought BAFs at half the price the entire wave would cost. GASP! How can that be?!?!?!?!????????????

 

I've bought BAF pieces at less than half the cost.

 

Lets take Giganta. I can't find GG anywhere. I've pretty much given up hope of ever finding Giganta. Now, I can CHOOSE to pay a ton of money for that BAF piece or I can choose not to...it's likely, I'll try to make some sort of trade tho. I'm hoping to get that piece. If I don't, oh well. I'm certainly not going to blame Mattel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And Flounnderr is right. I've seen plenty of ripped-open packages on the shelves because people are stealing parts they need. I guess all those people are tired or being forced to buy figures they don't want as well.

 

 

I bought one of those I picked up The Question and the baf was missing but since it was ans still the onlt one I seen in this area I grabbed it

 

Hey everyone,

 

Instead of defending Mattel and pretending that there are no problems with the way they produce baf's, Maybe there should be more constructive efforts to advocate for spare parts, or alternative solutions. Buying an entire wave just for the baf is ridiculous and is going to limit people from continuing involvement in the hobby. People should not be stealing to afford the baf figures. Certainly, the less and less people partcipating in the hobby the greater and sooner the chances of cancellation.

 

Creating division in the collecting base, is not going to be good for the hobby at all.

 

Mattel should reconsider how they use the baf and exclusive strategies. I think their short term gains will fizzle in the long term.

 

regards

Joshua

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And Flounnderr is right. I've seen plenty of ripped-open packages on the shelves because people are stealing parts they need. I guess all those people are tired or being forced to buy figures they don't want as well.

 

 

I bought one of those I picked up The Question and the baf was missing but since it was ans still the onlt one I seen in this area I grabbed it

 

 

The Question only came with a stand? How'd they fit it in the slot?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And Flounnderr is right. I've seen plenty of ripped-open packages on the shelves because people are stealing parts they need. I guess all those people are tired or being forced to buy figures they don't want as well.

 

 

I bought one of those I picked up The Question and the baf was missing but since it was ans still the onlt one I seen in this area I grabbed it

 

Hey everyone,

 

Instead of defending Mattel and pretending that there are no problems with the way they produce baf's, Maybe there should be more constructive efforts to advocate for spare parts, or alternative solutions. Buying an entire wave just for the baf is ridiculous and is going to limit people from continuing involvement in the hobby. People should not be stealing to afford the baf figures. Certainly, the less and less people partcipating in the hobby the greater and sooner the chances of cancellation.

 

Creating division in the collecting base, is not going to be good for the hobby at all.

 

Mattel should reconsider how they use the baf and exclusive strategies. I think their short term gains will fizzle in the long term.

 

regards

Joshua

 

What do you consider short term vs long term cause they are on wave 15 now.

 

In any case, my suggestion would be to make a post on this and other toy boards telling people what you have to trade and what you want to trade for (or what you want to buy and how much you're willing to spend).

 

I can certainly understand someone's frustration at wanting a BAF, but not wanting all the figs in a wave. I felt that way about the Darkseid wave. However, I made the choice just to buy all the figs because I had some extra money and it was easier to buy on matty.

 

As for the next wave, I'm hoping to find the three or four figs I want in the store. I don't care about that BAF so they'd be up for trade bait.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys already pointed out the need for C&C for the line. C&C is a great way to "encourage" collectors to buy the full set of the series. Lesser liked characters need support too other wise it's Superman/Batman all over again.

If it weird for C&C 2/3 of my DCUC shelf will be empty. I was never a fan of Aquaman but I bought him to complete series2. Some characters I never heard of like Forager and Commander Steel end up being some nice figures that I really enjoy displaying on my shelf.

 

The truth is without C&C or Baf the DCUC toy line would have ended really quick. Starting from series1, how many figures you'd think people would buy if it's individual character with a stupid stand. Etrigan? Orion? maybe just Penguin because he'a bat villain and kids are more familiar but other wise it's hard to sell most if them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

What do you consider short term vs long term cause they are on wave 15 now.

 

In any case, my suggestion would be to make a post on this and other toy boards telling people what you have to trade and what you want to trade for (or what you want to buy and how much you're willing to spend).

 

I can certainly understand someone's frustration at wanting a BAF, but not wanting all the figs in a wave. I felt that way about the Darkseid wave. However, I made the choice just to buy all the figs because I had some extra money and it was easier to buy on matty.

 

As for the next wave, I'm hoping to find the three or four figs I want in the store. I don't care about that BAF so they'd be up for trade bait.

 

Well i guess i'm just gonna quote myself here,

"Seems to me that there are a couple of options to get the baf: 1) Buy everything, 2) stop collecting, 3) steal the parts, 4) Buy the parts at inflated prices on ebay.

 

So which one is the better solution? Seems to me that the best marketing is the kind that attracts people to the product, not quit collecting or stealing. BTW for those that don't think collecting can be an addiction, can someone please explain why switching out parts in this line is soo common?"

 

Looks like you either don't recognize that there is a problem or aren't interested in any solutions. I'm predicting there's gonna be an aweful lot of Trigon baf parts laying around, just like Despero. However that's not true in the least for every baf, so you're not really proposing a solution other than buy everything when its a popular baf. Because right now, the only option to get a popular baf is to buy all 6. Popular baf pieces will either be hard to find or expensive because everyone is trying get them (ie. Giganta, Kilowog, Darkseid ect..). This is why the Baf stragtegy is not going to be productive in the long run. People are not buying the figures because they like them, only because they want the baf. DCUC is less than 4 years old. It won't last another 4, if this problem isn't resolved.

 

regards

Joshua

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

Well i guess i'm just gonna quote myself here,

"Seems to me that there are a couple of options to get the baf: 1) Buy everything, 2) stop collecting, 3) steal the parts, 4) Buy the parts at inflated prices on ebay.

 

So which one is the better solution? Seems to me that the best marketing is the kind that attracts people to the product, not quit collecting or stealing. BTW for those that don't think collecting can be an addiction, can someone please explain why switching out parts in this line is soo common?"

 

Looks like you either don't recognize that there is a problem or aren't interested in any solutions. I'm predicting there's gonna be an aweful lot of Trigon baf parts laying around, just like Despero. However that's not true in the least for every baf, so you're not really proposing a solution other than buy everything when its a popular baf. Because right now, the only option to get a popular baf is to buy all 6. Popular baf pieces will either be hard to find or expensive because everyone is trying get them (ie. Giganta, Kilowog, Darkseid ect..). This is why the Baf stragtegy is not going to be productive in the long run. People are not buying the figures because they like them, only because they want the baf. DCUC is less than 4 years old. It won't last another 4, if this problem isn't resolved.

 

regards

Joshua

 

I've said this before, but it's apt here, at one of the TRUs near me, someone put old Jakks WWE figs in Mattel WWE packs and returned. In case you weren't aware, there aren't any BAF pieces in those.

 

Criminals are going to do their thing regardless. Additionally, Mattel doesn't take the hit for that. The retailer does.

 

Mattel is making money with this line. They'll continue putting it out until that ends. The people complaining, while maybe the loudest, are in the minority. And those complaining still buy the figures.

 

Also again, there are many options to getting BAF pieces. You and Xorr just continue to ignore them apparently and keep stating the same thing over and over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I've said this before, but it's apt here, at one of the TRUs near me, someone put old Jakks WWE figs in Mattel WWE packs and returned. In case you weren't aware, there aren't any BAF pieces in those.

 

Criminals are going to do their thing regardless. Additionally, Mattel doesn't take the hit for that. The retailer does.

 

Mattel is making money with this line. They'll continue putting it out until that ends. The people complaining, while maybe the loudest, are in the minority. And those complaining still buy the figures.

 

Also again, there are many options to getting BAF pieces. You and Xorr just continue to ignore them apparently and keep stating the same thing over and over.

 

Yes people do switch out complete figures. It happens in Gi Joe Star wars and about every other line. But with the BAF's, the type of theft is specific to the baf pieces. This means there is an excessive demand for the pieces. This is the root of the problem. There are not enough outlets to get these high demand pieces and its ruining the hobby. Purchasing the entire wave is not an acceptable solution. I can't understand why so many people here make excuses and rationals instead of confronting the problem directly. Maybe this is just the selfish or elite element to collecting. I guess people who can afford to throw money away buying the full wave, want to hold it over the people who can't or won't. It's an artificial creation for demand, and is not needed.

 

I don't see people this furious over collecting in other toy lines (w/ the exception of availablility of fig.). Hasbro tried the baf concept and abandoned it after a year b/c it was obviously not viable for a long term collecting vision. I'd pay attention to that, since they've been handling some the longest continuous action figure lines like star wars, Gi Joe, and Transformers.

 

There's really not to much else to discuss here, There's clearly a bunch of people here that just don't think this is a problem.

 

regards

Joshua

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes people do switch out complete figures. It happens in Gi Joe Star wars and about every other line. But with the BAF's, the type of theft is specific to the baf pieces. This means there is an excessive demand for the pieces. This is the root of the problem. There are not enough outlets to get these high demand pieces and its ruining the hobby. Purchasing the entire wave is not an acceptable solution. I can't understand why so many people here make excuses and rationals instead of confronting the problem directly. Maybe this is just the selfish or elite element to collecting. I guess people who can afford to throw money away buying the full wave, want to hold it over the people who can't or won't. It's an artificial creation for demand, and is not needed.

 

I don't see people this furious over collecting in other toy lines (w/ the exception of availablility of fig.). Hasbro tried the baf concept and abandoned it after a year b/c it was obviously not viable for a long term collecting vision. I'd pay attention to that, since they've been handling some the longest continuous action figure lines like star wars, Gi Joe, and Transformers.

 

There's really not to much else to discuss here, There's clearly a bunch of people here that just don't think this is a problem.

 

regards

Joshua

 

Star Wars did or does BAF. Hasbro abandoned it for MLs because they all but abandoned MLs.

 

You keep saying that we are defending and rationalizing. Maybe we like the BAF concept. Isn't that possible? I like most of the BAFs and most of the figs. I don't mind buying an extra fig here or there. Of course, I think of this as partly an investment and realize that a complete BAF can be worth as much as the entire wave. If I really hated a fig, I'd probably sell it on ebay or trade it away.

 

As for people being furious over other toy lines, perhaps you should visit the MOTU forum.

 

But again, the complainers (of nearly every toy line) are louder, but smaller in number than the non-complainers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EldestSon wrote:

 

Also again, there are many options to getting BAF pieces. You and Xorr just continue to ignore them apparently and keep stating the same thing over and over.

 

We're ignoring nothing. We keep repeating this because you refuse to listen. Sure, you can get lucky now and then, and perhaps get a BAF for less than the cost of buying all the individual figures required. But generally that is not the case. I have almost never seen a Giganta sell on ebay for less than the cost of the individual figures, and usually for a hell of a lot more. And if you buy parts, that's just not cost effective because they run at least $5 - $10 on ebay, plus shipping. That's $30-$60 plus another $15-$20 for shipping. It costs about $45-$85 to buy the figure in parts. And that's if you get a good buy. Usually you're looking at more. And that's just going by prices on the arms and legs. Torsos and head/pelvis pieces go for more. So generally a BAF on ebay costs as much as or more than it costs to buy all the required figures.

 

Like Giganta. Try getting her head and pelvis for less than $50 (and tell me about it so I can buy it! ;) ). There is a complete Giganta on ebay right now for $85 + $10 shipping. That's $95. Buying the figures costs $90 - $95. There is a Giganta head alone that sold for $43 + $9 shipping. Another complete one sold for $106. A single Gentleman Ghost sold for $105 and that comes with just the head and pelvis for Giganta. Another Giganta complete sold for $149. Someone lucked out and got a complete Giganta for $75. In almost every case she goes over $100, even if you end up getting her in parts. So you're essentially paying for the other figures even through ebay. If she were sold individually, we'd expect a retail price of no more than say $30, maybe $35 tops. More people could afford her.

 

Again, unless and until Mattel starts selling the BAF's individually, they are forcing collectors who want those figures to buy (actually purchase or purchase indirectly via cost on ebay) all the required figures. There's no getting around that. Anyone who disagrees is simply ignorant of reality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EldestSon wrote:

 

But again, the complainers (of nearly every toy line) are louder, but smaller in number than the non-complainers.

 

Well that's to be expected. There are far fewer educated consumers than there are servile buying drones. It's how our culture has become. Just a fact of life. That doesn't make the complainers wrong, it means they actually bother to think for themselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...
Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE