Jump to content

I hate the C&C or BAF concept!!!!!


rodimusconvoy21
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

It's sheer greed, just like Secret Wars was. Thanks Marvel! @grumpy@

 

I hate the concept as well. It's a sign of weakness from companies.

 

 

I get real sick of hearing people refer to the "BAF" (or the "C-n-C") as "greed". It is NOT greed. It's marketing. And it's DAMN GOOD marketing, by the way.

 

NO ONE forces you to buy all the figures. In fact, NO ONE forces you to buy ANY of the figures.

 

MATTEL is actually offering you a REALLY sweet deal: "Hey! You can have this REALLY awesome DARKSEID figure at no extra cost if you buy ALL the figures in the wave!"

 

HOW is that "greed"? It's no different than buying a second pair of shoes at SKECHERS for 50%-off the retail price. Is that greed, too?? Again...NO ONE forces you to buy the extra pair of shoes.

 

It's not "weakness", either. It's a brilliant marketing strategy.

 

And if all you wanted was a GIGANTA, just go get a Barbie, because that's basically what she was.

 

So true. Who would've bought that piece of crap Ultimate War machine if he didn't have a BAF piece?

 

Spreading out pieces of a larger item (figure, playset, whatever) is the most brilliant toy strategy possibly of all time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rash wrote:

 

I get real sick of hearing people refer to the "BAF" (or the "C-n-C") as "greed". It is NOT greed. It's marketing. And it's DAMN GOOD marketing, by the way.

 

I hate to burst your bubble, but it is one and the same thing. Their marketing strategy is based on greed, ie forcing people to buy multiple items they may not want in order to get the item they do want. That's not only greed, it's greedy marketing that shows desperation. Why can't they sell their toys without this forced manipulation?

 

NO ONE forces you to buy all the figures. In fact, NO ONE forces you to buy ANY of the figures.

 

Really? So you tell me precisely how you're going to buy that Giganta figure you want so badly without having to buy Gentleman Ghost and Mr. Terrific and several other figures you don't want. Does Mattel sell Giganta as her own figure? I thought now. So you are wrong. People are being forced to buy things they don't want in order to get things they do want. And before you even try arguing that you can get Giganta on ebay, I will point out that someone, usually a scalper, has to buy all those individual figures in order to assemble a Giganta, and then the person buying Giganta on ebay has to essentially pay for all the other figures they don't want. The only difference in buying on ebay is you're not physically getting the actual figures you don't want, you're just paying for them. So it's a double-rip-off.

 

MATTEL is actually offering you a REALLY sweet deal: "Hey! You can have this REALLY awesome DARKSEID figure at no extra cost if you buy ALL the figures in the wave!"

 

You must work for Mattel, because that is the most insanely warped argument I've ever heard. It's a "sweet deal" that I have to buy multiple figures I don't want in order to get one I do want? They could release Giganta or Darkseid at $25 or $30 a pop and be done with it. Instead, they force consumers to spend far more than that to get the C&C/BAF figures. That isn't a "sweet deal". It's blackmail. "Sorry, Mr. Consumer. I know you want to buy Darkseid, but we don't want to sell him to you. Tell you what. You buy these 6 figures you don't want, and we'll throw him in for free!"

 

Yeah, what a "sweet" deal. I'm honored. :rolleyes:

 

HOW is that "greed"?

 

It's greed because it forces consumers to buy items they don't want in order to obtain items they do want. It removes freedom of choice in purchasing.

 

It's no different than buying a second pair of shoes at SKECHERS for 50%-off the retail price. Is that greed, too?? Again...NO ONE forces you to buy the extra pair of shoes.

 

Your analogy is horribly flawed. You can buy any pair of Skechers shoes on its own. Offering a second pair at a discount is a true bonus, and good marketing. You can get the pair you want without being forced to buy a second pair you do not want. This is totally different from the situation at Mattel, where you must buy the ones you don't want (and I mean multiple figures) to get the one you do want.

 

Your analogy would actually have made sense if you had written it this way...

 

You go into a store and say "I want that pair of Skechers shoes". And the salesman says "Sorry, you can't buy those shoes. However, if you buy these other 6 pairs of shoes, each pair comes with a part of the pair you want. This one comes with the laces, this one comes with the tongue of the shoe, this one comes with the sole, etc. You buy these 6 pairs of shoes you don't want, but hey! You can assemble the pair you do want! Ain't that a sweet deal?"

 

Yeah, right. :rolleyes: Who in their right mind would buy those shoes?

 

Mattel, like all collectible companies, is greedy and preys on the addictions of the consumers. And it is an addiction, which is why they get away with it. Luckily, some of us are smart enough to get around it, although it's still a hassle we shouldn't be subjected to. Maybe if Mattel figured out how to get their damned toys in stock in the stores, they'd actually get to sell them and wouldn't need such underhanded tactics!

 

It's not "weakness", either. It's a brilliant marketing strategy.

 

Sure, brilliant in a twisted, evil, greedy manner. I'll give you that.

 

And if all you wanted was a GIGANTA, just go get a Barbie, because that's basically what she was.

 

The more you talk, the more absurd your statements get.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So many of you are missing the real point! Retailers and Mattel would not be offering us most of the CaC figs at all seperately!! So without the CaC you would not be getting them at all! That or they would be massively shrunken..... @hmmm@

Draven

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hate to burst your bubble, but it is one and the same thing. Their marketing strategy is based on greed, ie forcing people to buy multiple items they may not want in order to get the item they do want. That's not only greed, it's greedy marketing that shows desperation. Why can't they sell their toys without this forced manipulation?

 

 

 

Explain how a toy company FORCED you to buy their product.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Draven wrote:

 

So many of you are missing the real point! Retailers and Mattel would not be offering us most of the CaC figs at all seperately!! So without the CaC you would not be getting them at all! That or they would be massively shrunken....

 

I'd rather a normal-sized Darkseid and Solomon Grundy than those far-oversized versions anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eldestson wrote:

 

Explain how a toy company FORCED you to buy their product.

 

I already did. Didn't you read my post?

 

Pretend I didn't and just explain that one part. I mean, how did Mattel FORCE you to buy a toy.

 

And please don't answer with "the only way to build a BAF is to buy all the figs in a wave" because A) that's false (ie, you could buy the pieces on ebay for example) and B) you don't have to buy all the figs and you don't have to build the BAF.

 

I mean, Mattel isn't driving to your house pointing a gun at you and telling you to buy their figs or you will die.

 

Mattel isn't sending you figs and then just charging your credit card w/o your permission.

 

In short, Mattel isn't forcing you to do anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rash wrote:

 

I get real sick of hearing people refer to the "BAF" (or the "C-n-C") as "greed". It is NOT greed. It's marketing. And it's DAMN GOOD marketing, by the way.

 

I hate to burst your bubble, but it is one and the same thing. Their marketing strategy is based on greed, ie forcing people to buy multiple items they may not want in order to get the item they do want. That's not only greed, it's greedy marketing that shows desperation. Why can't they sell their toys without this forced manipulation?

 

NO ONE forces you to buy all the figures. In fact, NO ONE forces you to buy ANY of the figures.

 

Really? So you tell me precisely how you're going to buy that Giganta figure you want so badly without having to buy Gentleman Ghost and Mr. Terrific and several other figures you don't want. Does Mattel sell Giganta as her own figure? I thought now. So you are wrong. People are being forced to buy things they don't want in order to get things they do want. And before you even try arguing that you can get Giganta on ebay, I will point out that someone, usually a scalper, has to buy all those individual figures in order to assemble a Giganta, and then the person buying Giganta on ebay has to essentially pay for all the other figures they don't want. The only difference in buying on ebay is you're not physically getting the actual figures you don't want, you're just paying for them. So it's a double-rip-off.

 

MATTEL is actually offering you a REALLY sweet deal: "Hey! You can have this REALLY awesome DARKSEID figure at no extra cost if you buy ALL the figures in the wave!"

 

You must work for Mattel, because that is the most insanely warped argument I've ever heard. It's a "sweet deal" that I have to buy multiple figures I don't want in order to get one I do want? They could release Giganta or Darkseid at $25 or $30 a pop and be done with it. Instead, they force consumers to spend far more than that to get the C&C/BAF figures. That isn't a "sweet deal". It's blackmail. "Sorry, Mr. Consumer. I know you want to buy Darkseid, but we don't want to sell him to you. Tell you what. You buy these 6 figures you don't want, and we'll throw him in for free!"

 

Yeah, what a "sweet" deal. I'm honored. :rolleyes:

 

HOW is that "greed"?

 

It's greed because it forces consumers to buy items they don't want in order to obtain items they do want. It removes freedom of choice in purchasing.

 

It's no different than buying a second pair of shoes at SKECHERS for 50%-off the retail price. Is that greed, too?? Again...NO ONE forces you to buy the extra pair of shoes.

 

Your analogy is horribly flawed. You can buy any pair of Skechers shoes on its own. Offering a second pair at a discount is a true bonus, and good marketing. You can get the pair you want without being forced to buy a second pair you do not want. This is totally different from the situation at Mattel, where you must buy the ones you don't want (and I mean multiple figures) to get the one you do want.

 

Your analogy would actually have made sense if you had written it this way...

 

You go into a store and say "I want that pair of Skechers shoes". And the salesman says "Sorry, you can't buy those shoes. However, if you buy these other 6 pairs of shoes, each pair comes with a part of the pair you want. This one comes with the laces, this one comes with the tongue of the shoe, this one comes with the sole, etc. You buy these 6 pairs of shoes you don't want, but hey! You can assemble the pair you do want! Ain't that a sweet deal?"

 

Yeah, right. :rolleyes: Who in their right mind would buy those shoes?

 

Mattel, like all collectible companies, is greedy and preys on the addictions of the consumers. And it is an addiction, which is why they get away with it. Luckily, some of us are smart enough to get around it, although it's still a hassle we shouldn't be subjected to. Maybe if Mattel figured out how to get their damned toys in stock in the stores, they'd actually get to sell them and wouldn't need such underhanded tactics!

 

It's not "weakness", either. It's a brilliant marketing strategy.

 

Sure, brilliant in a twisted, evil, greedy manner. I'll give you that.

 

And if all you wanted was a GIGANTA, just go get a Barbie, because that's basically what she was.

 

The more you talk, the more absurd your statements get.

 

"Waaaaaaaaaah! MATTEL is so mean to me! They make me buy toys I don't want!! Waaaah-Waaaahhh!!!!! They're GREEEEEEEEDY!!!!"

 

And if you're so smart that you can "get around it", why are you bitching?

 

Grow up. You're not being "forced" to buy anything. The more you talk, the more immature you sound. What, are you 15 years old..?

 

And BTW...GIGANTA looks like a Barbie doll. And I didn't want her "so badly". In fact, I really didn't want her at all, she's the worst BAF they've done, and I'm not into dolls. Perhaps you are?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eldestson wrote:

 

Explain how a toy company FORCED you to buy their product.

 

I already did. Didn't you read my post?

 

 

I mean, Mattel isn't driving to your house pointing a gun at you and telling you to buy their figs or you will die.

 

 

Un-Huh!..I still have nightmares about it! * please, Matty!...Don't!....Don't shoot!* ...:unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know what rash, I'm so sick of your lies. It's clear that Giganta looks more like Wilma Flintstone all dressed up for a night on the town with Fred. Geeez can't you get anything right? lol

 

YABBA DABBA DOOOOOO!!!!!

 

Ten bucks says if there were no BAF and they released Grundy undersized Xorr would be one of the first ones crying about it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it the BAF concept really that bad? I never looked at it like they are forcing me to buy a bunch of figures to get a larger one, I looked at it like an extra incentive or bonus to the figures I do, and it never really bothered me to get all the figures to build a giant one.

 

This is where we can all help out, there are plenty of people with extra pieces who could just sell them, trade them, or give them up for free on the boards.

 

For once I am not caught up in the melee...........calm down Bro-hams

 

kids-fighting.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jaye, I happen to want Blue Beetle and Kamandi! If I find them, you can have their crummy CnC parts for $1 plus shipping.

 

Cool. Hopefully I'll get the Beetle piece from another tni'er, but if somehow that falls through, I'll gladly take both!! But for sure now just the Kamandi piece!!! That's awesome, two figures I won't have to get cause of my fellow tni'ers!!! This place indeed rocks, as do u guys!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Draven wrote:

 

So many of you are missing the real point! Retailers and Mattel would not be offering us most of the CaC figs at all seperately!! So without the CaC you would not be getting them at all! That or they would be massively shrunken....

 

I'd rather a normal-sized Darkseid and Solomon Grundy than those far-oversized versions anyway.

 

Hate to burst your bubble but there is plenty of eveidence that Darkseid is not over sized! He has been drawn that big before but never as shrimpy as the DCSH one! Id take big over undersized! All those whinners over Doomsday anyone?? @loll@

Draven

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EldestSon wrote:

 

Pretend I didn't and just explain that one part. I mean, how did Mattel FORCE you to buy a toy.

 

And please don't answer with "the only way to build a BAF is to buy all the figs in a wave" because A) that's false (ie, you could buy the pieces on ebay for example) and B) you don't have to buy all the figs and you don't have to build the BAF.

 

Reading Comp 101. I covered that already. See my reply to Rash, second paragraph. I think someone isn't paying attention. @nono@

 

 

Rash wrote:

 

And if you're so smart that you can "get around it", why are you bitching?

 

Another one. :rolleyes: Really, people, try READING before REPLYING. It helps the flow of orderly conversation and avoids having to repeat things. I'll re-quote myself here. Note emphasis.

 

"Luckily, some of us are smart enough to get around it, although it's still a hassle we shouldn't be subjected to."

 

And BTW...GIGANTA looks like a Barbie doll. And I didn't want her "so badly". In fact, I really didn't want her at all, she's the worst BAF they've done, and I'm not into dolls. Perhaps you are?

 

*Snicker* He's trying to insult me! @loll@

 

 

Cjflan32 wrote:

 

Ten bucks says if there were no BAF and they released Grundy undersized Xorr would be one of the first ones crying about it.

 

You owe me ten bucks. money.gif:P If he was the same height as Superman or Batman, I'd be far happier than I am with him being two sizes too big. Same for Darkseid.

 

Draven79 wrote:

 

Hate to burst your bubble but there is plenty of eveidence that Darkseid is not over sized! He has been drawn that big before

 

Only by crappy modern artists. I stick with the good stuff...Silver and Bronze Age comics. He's far too big.

 

Finally, Superpowers1980 wrote:

 

Is it the BAF concept really that bad? I never looked at it like they are forcing me to buy a bunch of figures to get a larger one, I looked at it like an extra incentive or bonus to the figures I do, and it never really bothered me to get all the figures to build a giant one.

 

So going back to my shoe analogy, would you by those 6 pairs of Skechers to get the one pair you wanted? Would you look at that as a "bonus" or "incentive"? Or would you prefer to just be able to buy the pairs you like on their own, including the one you would otherwise have to buy 6 other pairs to obtain? Be honest now.

 

And yeah, I think the BAF/C&C concept is extortion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

EldestSon wrote:

 

Pretend I didn't and just explain that one part. I mean, how did Mattel FORCE you to buy a toy.

 

And please don't answer with "the only way to build a BAF is to buy all the figs in a wave" because A) that's false (ie, you could buy the pieces on ebay for example) and B) you don't have to buy all the figs and you don't have to build the BAF.

 

Reading Comp 101. I covered that already. See my reply to Rash, second paragraph. I think someone isn't paying attention. @nono@

 

I re-read that post. I don't see a logical explanation as to why you feel mattel is forcing you to buy toys.

 

Please elaborate.

 

Oh and speaking of reading comprehension, were you not able to understand the rest of my post? The part you quoted and the part you didn't quote?

 

Just admit you're trolling already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are a couple of solutions if you don't like the situation with C&C Darkside: the DC Direct New Gods one, made to look like the Kirby art and with interchangeable hand (another reason DCD tops DCUC!) OR the original DCSH one which is an awesome figure if you're not hung up on Darkie being 10 feet tall.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's up with all of these companies trying to get as much money as they can from us? That's messed up.

 

Exactly! HOW DARE companies try and make money!!! Why...Why they should just GIVE us the toys for free!! And free Pizza, too! All you can eat!! Greedy bastards...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

And yeah, I think the BAF/C&C concept is extortion.

 

Oh, so now it's "extortion"..??? So someone is LITERALLY holding a gun to your head, or threatening a member of your family to get you to buy all the figures in a wave???

 

While you're checking to see if your GIGANTA doll has any panties on, you might want to take a look at the Dictionary definition of "extortion". Then take a basic course in economics, followed by finding "a job".

 

Better yet, why don't you just sue MATTEL? I'm sure there's plenty of lawyers willing to take your strong case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just ignore the rant. Obviously Xorr doesn't get it.

 

I calculate the Collect & Connect part cost is factored into the cost of each figure in a given wave.

 

I both buy figure I do not want to get the part and buy loose parts.

 

What is really upsetting are the plain blue stands. Figure with stands are the same price as one with C&C parts. You know they just toss in stands that didn't sell on Matty Collector in there.

 

Now aside from their "anime" look Public Enemies figures were:

 

#1 an exclusive

#2 cheaper

#3 had both a stand and C&C part.

 

A far better deal, but again "forced" you buy extra Batmans or Supermans. Not me. I traded for the pelvis and I still need the right arm.

 

But you gotta do what is right for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The definition of extorting someone:

 

http://www.merriam-webster.com/netdict/extorting

 

To obtain from a person by force, intimidation, or undue or illegal power.

 

Xorr, please explain to everyone how the Build-a-whatever concept is illegal.

 

Better yet, have a nice hot cup of shut the f*** up and troll somewhere else because you have no idea what you're talking about.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Find Action Figures on Ebay

×
×
  • Create New...
Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE