WHY HASBRO WHY (Zarana)?

Dake

FUGLY IS...

fastdrawsneakpeak.jpg

@smilepunch@

• Like 12

How did this get sidetracked into how ugly Sneak Peak and Fast Draw are? @firedevil@

Is there a pic of the Zarana in question?

One other thing to consider, those mock ups and protos and stuff are always better than the "real" product. Look at gscbr's customs. Think Hasbro could do anything THAT good? One would hope, but then we get guys like "Link Talbot", Road Pig version 2, Alpine versions 2 through 4, etc.

sneakpeek2.jpg

I thought the Night Force version was an improvement.

Yep...I liked that one a whole lot better. :)

On the whole cancelled 25th Zarana, sounds to me like they left the possibilty of still using the mold sometime, because even the designers loved it, but couldn't "fit it in"...so seeing how it's a 25th style mold, I'm thinking seeing her is more likely than not?

• Like 12

How did this get sidetracked into how ugly Sneak Peak and Fast Draw are? @firedevil@

Is there a pic of the Zarana in question?

One other thing to consider, those mock ups and protos and stuff are always better than the "real" product. Look at gscbr's customs. Think Hasbro could do anything THAT good? One would hope, but then we get guys like "Link Talbot", Road Pig version 2, Alpine versions 2 through 4, etc.

I wondered about that myself.

No pics of the Zarana that I've seen. She was during the "No Pictures" part of the tour and it appears people must have behaved.

That being said, she was a completed but un-painted proto so those are generally pretty accurate to final product. The only thing Hasbro tends to do between there and final is drop a paint ap or two.

I'm still hoping that they'll find a way to get her out there. I know comic packs are done, but she and Zandar are perfect for one - especially since Zandar could be almost completely kit-bashed from existing tools which tends to be a requirement for the CPs.

Gonna derail this again... @lol@

What's with all the hate for Fast Draw and Sneak Peak anyways? Sure, they may look kind of corny with no gear, but all geared up they're pretty cool if you ask me. Fast Draw is one of my favorites from the '87 lineup. :(

Gonna derail this again... @lol@

What's with all the hate for Fast Draw and Sneak Peak anyways? Sure, they may look kind of corny with no gear, but all geared up they're pretty cool if you ask me. Fast Draw is one of my favorites from the '87 lineup. :(

Only a matter of differing opinions. ^_^

Out of all the great molds, these two just weren't any of my favorites and would be far at the bottom of a favs list.

• Like 12

Especially Sneak Peak! I always hated him even with his gear. Fast Draw was better but I just did not have a use for him. As a kid none of my group of Joe friends ever wanted to play with either of them! @loll@ Psych Out got more play time! @loll@

Draven

I never liked Fast Draw until I got a minty one in a lot - much cooler than expected! He looks better with the visor up, so you can see his face.

As for cancelled Zarana - WHY???

Hopefully she makes it back in a vehicle or multi-pack.

Well, that's a bit of good news I suppose. But Hasbro has made no secret of saying that girl action figures don't do as well in testing and what not and so they are leery of making them.

Hasbro is just repeating what retailers tell them--that female character action figures do not sell very well.

It doesn't matter much if the figure is really good, or just plain fugly-female characters have always been slow movers unless there is something very provocative about them ( and even then its still not a given).

There have been some excellent female figures that have come out in the past year that are pretty much shelf-glue; look at all the Baroness, and Cover Girl figures in the ROC line that keep those shelves warm, or the Power Girl figures from the DCUC line. Not even the mighty power of her massive cleavage can move buyers to purchase her.

Hasbro really, really sucks. Whomever is in charge of the Joe product line deserves to be fired for the disastrous handling of this line. I can't wait till POC bombs, hopefully just as bad as ROC did. Then maybe Hasblow will be forced to release the 25th style joes that people actually want like Zarana, instead of this POC crap.

Sounds like it's the retailers that "really really suck"?

• Like 12

It sucks that Zarana will most likely never make the cut, but the reasoning makes sense.

Slugzilla, please explain to everyone how Hasbro screwed up its G.I. Joe line by making figures and vehicles based on a movie that probably made more money than the 25th line ever could.

Sounds like another adult collector who has no clue who the target audience is.

• Like 1

Hasbro sucks because they screwed over us 25th collectors. They canceled the 25th line to focus on the movie line that by most everyone's accounts failed miserably. There's no reason why Hasbro couldn't have continued the 25th line alongside the movie line, or perhaps as an online exclusive or store exclusive. But instead they decide to ignore collectors of the 25th/modern line & focus on releasing a ton of movie figures. And now that ROC bombed, instead of returning to the much preferred 25th line, with POC they're going to release countless more movie style variants of the same 10 or so characters over and over again in varying gear and outfits. That really, really sucks. Hasbro's joe line has has become the Batman line of the 90's. A dozen different Duke variants like neon disk armor duke, and one or two new characters a year.

It sucks for those of us who want to buy all the joe characters in 25th style, but can't because Hasblow has to make jungle, artic, desert, scuba, night assualt, swat gear, city strike, space suit, & neon disc armor Duke first. And then when POC bombs miserably Hasblow will blame the collectors, and all the retail outlets will be unwilling to take anymore joes so we'll probably never get the 25th styled joes & cobras we all want. Hell hasblow could've thrown us collectors a bone by releasing a classic dreadnok like that Zarana with the upcoming Dreadnok cycle, but no, they create an entirely new character like Storm Rider and stick him with the cycle. Hasbro really, really sucks.

Hasbro sucks because they screwed over us 25th collectors. They canceled the 25th line to focus on the movie line that by most everyone's accounts failed miserably. There's no reason why Hasbro couldn't have continued the 25th line alongside the movie line, or perhaps as an online exclusive or store exclusive. But instead they decide to ignore collectors of the 25th/modern line & focus on releasing a ton of movie figures. And now that ROC bombed, instead of returning to the much preferred 25th line, with POC they're going to release countless more movie style variants of the same 10 or so characters over and over again in varying gear and outfits. That really, really sucks. Hasbro's joe line has has become the Batman line of the 90's. A dozen different Duke variants like neon disk armor duke, and one or two new characters a year.

It sucks for those of us who want to buy all the joe characters in 25th style, but can't because Hasblow has to make jungle, artic, desert, scuba, night assualt, swat gear, city strike, space suit, & neon disc armor Duke first. And then when POC bombs miserably Hasblow will blame the collectors, and all the retail outlets will be unwilling to take anymore joes so we'll probably never get the 25th styled joes & cobras we all want. Hell hasblow could've thrown us collectors a bone by releasing a classic dreadnok like that Zarana with the upcoming Dreadnok cycle, but no, they create an entirely new character like Storm Rider and stick him with the cycle. Hasbro really, really sucks.

I totally agree. With the q & a's hasbro has always responded with nickel and dime answers about how much it costs to make figures and molds, so they wouldn't be abled to make certain figures or vehicles. So when we get a new movie, they spared no expense to make all new molds for many figures, vehicles, and accessories. The fact that the movie would be a hit or a bomb didn't matter, they put out soo many movie products. Alot more than what was allowed for the 25th anniversary product, which was continually selling out where ever you went. Now what else makes me realize where these hasbro clowns have their heads is with the fact that they have stated that even if the movie had not come out, they wanted to take gi joe in a different direction. I think Resolute looks and is great and look forward to more of that product and some of the new POC items that is not a movie tie in. But truthfully this feels like an alienation since alls hasbro knows what to do is constantly reinvent itself.

Look at that fact that in the 80s, gi joe RAH stuck around for 12+ years. I don't think that if it made its start now that it would have as much success.

• Like 1

129179670107425185.jpg

Wow... this thread went from zero to eleven in one post!

Well, as sad as I am about no Zarana, I can't quite go to the extremes exhibited above. Hasbro has a long history of dedicating their time to the media at hand. They did the exact same thing to Transformers during BOTH movies - ending the collector-orientated Classics/Universe lines and going to all movie.

I think Hasbro's biggest failure with RoC was too much quantity. That being said, they can only advise their retail partners but ultimately they have to provide the product that has been ordered. The big stores like Walmart and Target wanted 8 feet of peg and shelf space full of stuff for the movie and that's what they got.

I bought my share of figures but mostly for customizing.

Pursuit of Cobra looks promising to me b/c they can have their much-desired balance between new and old. We'll get new and updated figures and that's what will keep the line going for the long haul.

Would I love to have seen them simply crank out every figure from 82-94? Sure (well maybe not every one). But as it is, the toy universe is different and you just can't kill yourself over it.

And how was it a failure?

http://blog.taragana.com/business/2010/02/08/hasbro-4th-quarter-profit-climbs-on-sales-of-boys-toys-transformers-drive-rising-sales-29132/

The ROC figures made a lot of money and a sequel to the film is in development.

Just because the figures are on cleareance doesn't make them a "failure".

Thank you for confirming my assumption about clueless adult collectors.

• Like 1

129179670107425185.jpg

Wow... this thread went from zero to eleven in one post!

Well, as sad as I am about no Zarana, I can't quite go to the extremes exhibited above. Hasbro has a long history of dedicating their time to the media at hand. They did the exact same thing to Transformers during BOTH movies - ending the collector-orientated Classics/Universe lines and going to all movie.

I think Hasbro's biggest failure with RoC was too much quantity. That being said, they can only advise their retail partners but ultimately they have to provide the product that has been ordered. The big stores like Walmart and Target wanted 8 feet of peg and shelf space full of stuff for the movie and that's what they got.

I bought my share of figures but mostly for customizing.

Pursuit of Cobra looks promising to me b/c they can have their much-desired balance between new and old. We'll get new and updated figures and that's what will keep the line going for the long haul.

Would I love to have seen them simply crank out every figure from 82-94? Sure (well maybe not every one). But as it is, the toy universe is different and you just can't kill yourself over it.

I don't know about other areas but the ROC pegs were replenished in my neighborhood more often than not. I'm pretty sure that if you have to keep putting stock out because people keep buying the merchandise that is not "failure" as some people have alluded to.

Newsflash: the goal of these toys is to make money. Now if you think they're terrible in quality then that's a different kind of failure, but not the one Hasbro's concerned with.

• Like 1

Hasbro sucks because they screwed over us 25th collectors. They canceled the 25th line to focus on the movie line that by most everyone's accounts failed miserably. There's no reason why Hasbro couldn't have continued the 25th line alongside the movie line, or perhaps as an online exclusive or store exclusive.

I do not understand this line of thinking.

25th style figures DID continue throughout the ROC line. We got not only individual figures in there modernized original looks, but we also got 2 pack sets, multiple figure sets, and even some vehicles. Technically speaking, Hasbro HAS continued the 25th line up to the present.

The only differences were packaging and some of the figure stands themselves--is that really such a different to gripe about?

Hasbro sucks because they screwed over us 25th collectors. They canceled the 25th line to focus on the movie line that by most everyone's accounts failed miserably. There's no reason why Hasbro couldn't have continued the 25th line alongside the movie line, or perhaps as an online exclusive or store exclusive.

25th style figures DID continue throughout the ROC line. We got not only individual figures in there modernized original looks, but we also got 2 pack sets, multiple figure sets, and even some vehicles. Technically speaking, Hasbro HAS continued the 25th line up to the present.

The only differences were packaging and some of the figure stands themselves--is that really such a different to gripe about?

I think he's probably more upset about the change from redoing all the original figures, on original cards, in the new "25th style"? The "style" has remained constant for the ROC line, but the look of the old characters was sculpted and created to match the movies "take" on ARAH and I agree that it's a step backwards from the original concept laid out for the launch of the "25th" but that's the case with most movie lines made from original 80's toys.

• Like 7

I don't know about other areas but the ROC pegs were replenished in my neighborhood more often than not. I'm pretty sure that if you have to keep putting stock out because people keep buying the merchandise that is not "failure" as some people have alluded to.

Newsflash: the goal of these toys is to make money. Now if you think they're terrible in quality then that's a different kind of failure, but not the one Hasbro's concerned with.

Oh yeah - they were heavily replenished with more of wave 1 and 2.

There's no doubt they sold, but the distribution seemed lopsided. Everyone maxed out on those first couple of waves and the inventory never dropped enough to reorder further down the road. I'm really curious if we will see the same volume of the last couple waves showing up in Big Lots b/c the Big Boxes have moved on. Kamakuras for everyone!

wait a second.. how did Hasbro keep the 25th stuff going throughout ROC???

I must have missed it.

there were the TRU Barbecue repaint, the Snow Serpent repaint, and 6 figures from Walmart 2-packs... all repaints pretty much...

what else was there?

wait a second.. how did Hasbro keep the 25th stuff going throughout ROC???

I must have missed it.

there were the TRU Barbecue repaint, the Snow Serpent repaint, and 6 figures from Walmart 2-packs... all repaints pretty much...

what else was there?

Monkey-Wrench and Tunnel Rat, Copperhead, Night-Creepers, Charbroil, etc., and the 7-pack sets. All those came out during the run of ROC, right?

And how was it a failure?

The ROC figures made a lot of money and a sequel to the film is in development.

Just because the figures are on cleareance doesn't make them a "failure".

Thank you for confirming my assumption about clueless adult collectors.

You contend that the Rise Of Cobra line was a resounding success?!?!?!?

Thank you for confirming my assumption about clueless Hasbro Nut-Huggers.