Strange find for DCUC toys

StevanM

Hello all,

I'm in Toronto,Ontario, Canada. Today I bought a very strange DCUC figure in local Toys'r Us. Its Judge Dredd from marvel legends in the package of STEPPENWOLF from wave 11 (Kilowog) I was really confused when I saw him because as far as I know he is part of Marvel or subsidiary of independent heroes. Must be a factory mistake. He does not come with any weapons or BAF piece. I will post pics later. I might even sell it if there is any interest for it.

Happens a lot. I saw a Deadman in a Question package. Someone doesnt want a figure so they swap it for one that they do want. Too bad customer service at toy stores have no idea what they are doing

oh man! that sounds awesome! I can't believe you got it for only 15 bucks!

how much do you want for it?

@loll@

Wow, you actually bought it? I have seen this many times, someone will buy a figure and take the package back with a completely different figure, usually a figure that is old and beat up. There is someone who goes to my Wal Mart and does this over and over and over and over. The toy aisle is FULL of crappy figures that do not belong in the packages, and I can always tell its the same loser because he always seals the package with STAPLES. What kind of idiots are working Customer Service that will take back a package with STAPLES sealing it. Seriously, I understand Customer Service employees do not know who The Question is, or know who John Stuart is, but when the package says BATMAN or SUPERMAN and sitting in the package is Blue Beetle, I don't understand how they do not notice this. It even shows up DCUC SUPERMAN when they scan it, and they STILL do not realize it. Idiots.

im surprised people still fall for this.....common sense people!

I dont think it has anything to do with being stupid or not having common sense... We get worked up because we are in this hobby... But if I was a minimum wage worker with no ties to toys... Why should I care?...

because your employer is depending on you. because you have integrity. because you are getting paid to do your best.

When i see jakks wwe figs in the mattel wwe boxes, I get very annoyed. all they had to do to spot the fake was compare the figure to the toy inside...and this was at TRU.

• Like 1

@loll@ I see this all the time with Mattel WWE figs now, replaced with Jakks crap. I see it from time to time with DCUC, even saw a Madman in the GL 2 pack!

Draven

I dont think it has anything to do with being stupid or not having common sense... We get worked up because we are in this hobby... But if I was a minimum wage worker with no ties to toys... Why should I care?...

because your employer is depending on you. because you have integrity. because you are getting paid to do your best.

But, realistically, how can someone be expected to keep track of the contents of TENS of thousands of products in an average big-box retail store?

A small retailer can do it.......which is why swaps to a small retailer never happen........but to a large retailer, its easy to slip it buy because no-one at the return counter is going to be an expert in all the products.

I as well have seen this happen with WWE figures from Jakks. It was from the Classic series of Wrestlers. When I saw them I poll them off the shelves and put them in the back. I had seen a Kurt Angle in a Big John Stude packit. I agree with you my fell workers at Toys R Us workers are more on they can't tell that the figure looks different from the pictures. If I remember right I had to take down 18 different figures all that had different wrestlers in it. There was one that had a Hulk Hogan body and a Triple H head in a Britsh Bulldog packit.

yeah, I don't really expect any store employee to be able to tell the difference between any toys.

While they should be able to look at the picture on the back of the package and tell the difference, you have to realize that we aren't talking about toy people here.. Unless you get an employee that collects or has kids that do, I don't expect anybody to be familiar enough with the toys to spot the difference.

sometimes though.. when I see corps figures packaged in StarWars multipacks.. I gotta think "you didn't know this POS army figure isn't a Stormtrooper!?!?!?"

The worst I have seen so far was the Brainiac/Superman 2-pack where Brainiac was replaced by a ML Patriot body with a DCD Brother Blood Head, this was the same day I found an Ultimate Lizard in a Parademon package as well as several others that don't stand out as much. I took all of them up to customer Service and let them know they had been scammed, and they started an investigation due to the fact the overall total of swapped figures was over $300. I don't know waht the magic number is for management to get upset is, but that TRU had a long employee meeting the next day.

The worst I have seen so far was the Brainiac/Superman 2-pack where Brainiac was replaced by a ML Patriot body with a DCD Brother Blood Head, this was the same day I found an Ultimate Lizard in a Parademon package as well as several others that don't stand out as much. I took all of them up to customer Service and let them know they had been scammed, and they started an investigation due to the fact the overall total of swapped figures was over $300. I don't know waht the magic number is for management to get upset is, but that TRU had a long employee meeting the next day.

Prosecuting the swapper can be a real challenge, simply because all they have to claim is that they bought the item like that, and returned it themselves because the contents were swapped.

The staff at the store simply do not keep track of the contents of the items at point-of-sale, so they cannot confirm or deny that the items were tampered with at that point.

Yea, this is a petty crime, but its one that is really hard to police UNLESS the store hires a dedicated toy collector to oversee returns.

Even then, once a swapper gets wind of the new attempts to police things, they can simply switch stores.

Very little can be done about this, unfortunately.

• Like 1

But, realistically, how can someone be expected to keep track of the contents of TENS of thousands of products in an average big-box retail store?

A small retailer can do it.......which is why swaps to a small retailer never happen........but to a large retailer, its easy to slip it buy because no-one at the return counter is going to be an expert in all the products.

I see you cut out the part of my quote that would have helped immensely with answering your question.

If the package has an actual picture of the product and what is clearly visible thru the clear plastic packing does not match, then I'd say the employee isn't do his or her job (unless it's policy to just take whatever). I mean, it takes all of 1 second to look at the figure in the packaging and look at the picture on the packaging.

Prosecuting the swapper can be a real challenge, simply because all they have to claim is that they bought the item like that, and returned it themselves because the contents were swapped.

The staff at the store simply do not keep track of the contents of the items at point-of-sale, so they cannot confirm or deny that the items were tampered with at that point.

Yea, this is a petty crime, but its one that is really hard to police UNLESS the store hires a dedicated toy collector to oversee returns.

Even then, once a swapper gets wind of the new attempts to police things, they can simply switch stores.

Very little can be done about this, unfortunately.

Don't have to prosecute. Just ban the person from the store (even if it's not a real banning). at the very least don't accept the return and ask the person to leave.

• Like 1

The real question is can you tell if the package was opened?? Once a DCUC figure has been opened it's easy to tell.....Was it taped up?? Let's see the pics.Why I was swapped out...Er,I mean saw where someone put a Power Rangers Red Dragon Zord in a TM2 Megatron package;) lol I'm kidding of course.

I see you cut out the part of my quote that would have helped immensely with answering your question.

If the package has an actual picture of the product and what is clearly visible thru the clear plastic packing does not match, then I'd say the employee isn't do his or her job (unless it's policy to just take whatever). I mean, it takes all of 1 second to look at the figure in the packaging and look at the picture on the packaging.

And the cop-out the swapper can use is on those very same packages:

" Contents may not be exactly as shown".

Really, what can the store do in that situation? A swapper can use his wife and kid to make the return for them...and most return counters would give that combo the benefit of the doubt.

Again, you'd be asking staff to be vigilant on products that are only 1% of 1% of the total numbers of products the store likely carries. That is asking them to keep track of a tiny fraction of all the possible items that can be returned, and yet the numbers of those items to be watched varies all the time.

The loss in dollar value is so little, probably less that $5000 a year, that its not worth the manpower to police, for the return they'd get.

Trust me, this is a lot harder to address than you might think....and it has been discussed here before.

• Like 1

The real question is can you tell if the package was opened?? Once a DCUC figure has been opened it's easy to tell.....Was it taped up?? Let's see the pics.Why I was swapped out...Er,I mean saw where someone put a Power Rangers Red Dragon Zord in a TM2 Megatron package;) lol I'm kidding of course.

I've seen swap jobs that looked like they were factory sealed. Its not hard to do......you just heat the glue to the point it becomes soft and pull it off the card, make the swap, and then replace with a similar glue. Done right and its really hard to tell it was ever opened.

Toy forums like this have hundreds of stories, and photos of swaps done, and the constant refrain is that once reported, the store will put the item BACK on the shelf. To them, its an INTACT item, and thus worthy of sale.

LOL... The world is not that perfect man...

Really, what can the store do in that situation? A swapper can use his wife and kid to make the return for them...and most return counters would give that combo the benefit of the doubt.

Again, you'd be asking staff to be vigilant on products that are only 1% of 1% of the total numbers of products the store likely carries. That is asking them to keep track of a tiny fraction of all the possible items that can be returned, and yet the numbers of those items to be watched varies all the time.

The loss in dollar value is so little, probably less that $5000 a year, that its not worth the manpower to police, for the return they'd get.

Trust me, this is a lot harder to address than you might think....and it has been discussed here before.

Dude...

Comparing a Jakks doll to a Mattel doll is like comparing something night and day.

Also, while they may not be exactly the same as on the package, they are pretty damn close. The paint might be slightly off color or messed up. That's what they are talking about.

And again, I said don't bother prosecuting. Just kick them out of the store.

• Like 1

the world has to be perfect for a worker to do the job expected? Yeesh. I hope your resume never lands on my desk.

• Like 1

Dude...

Comparing a Jakks doll to a Mattel doll is like comparing something night and day.

Also, while they may not be exactly the same as on the package, they are pretty damn close. The paint might be slightly off color or messed up. That's what they are talking about.

And again, I said don't bother prosecuting. Just kick them out of the store.

But we are not just talking a Mattel doll and a Jakks doll here.

We are talking about a couple dozen action figure lines sold at these retailers, and EACH line has 20 or so characters per wave, usually 2-4 waves per year and each store is stocking a couple dozen of each of these. And you would expect someone to keep track of all that in addition to thousands of other returnable items at the store?

That is why if the store sees that the package APPEARS intact, with the "contents" present, it doesn't much matter to them if the contents have been swapped, because in their eyes its still considered a saleable item.

That why so many swaps end up back on the shelves.

Kicking them out of the store doesn't solve the problem either. If they do not prosecute the perp, what is to keep same from doing the same crime at another store in the same area? Even then, prosecuting the perp for a item valued under $10.........is it really worth the hassle in most jurisdictions?

• Like 1

the world has to be perfect for a worker to do the job expected? Yeesh. I hope your resume never lands on my desk.

So part of their job is to know every single toy in the store?... They actually let you manage people?... LOL... I am pretty high up on the corporate ladder so I doubt I will ever work under you... So no fear of my resume landing on your desk...