Best of 80's DVD Pack

DarthJoe

I never did get a chance to get the Best of the 80's DVD set from the 25th line...one of the few things I missed. So, I was sitting here looking at my incomplete Mass Device, and decided to check ebay to see if I could pick one up and get the last piece I needed...then I saw the prices.

The cheapest one I found was $55.00 + shipping. The other two that were listed were over $70. There was another auction with just Alpine for $50 BIN. I know this is rare, but it's not $70-100 rare, IMO.

Is there still that much demand for this set that people are actually paying these prices?

Is that what they are trying to sell for or actually have bids in that amt for? I wouldn't pay that much but I do still need Alpine, I'm actually hoping I can find one at Joecon this weekend.

I've seen the auctions for these just get up there in price. Seems with the whole (only finding them at like Marshall's stores) seems to have spiked the demand for them.

Is that what they are trying to sell for or actually have bids in that amt for? I wouldn't pay that much but I do still need Alpine, I'm actually hoping I can find one at Joecon this weekend.

Those were all buy it now auctions.

I did a search of complete auctions, and there were a few that were bid up over $50, and a few that were bought for $40+ through Buy It Now...so I guess people are still willing to pay these prices for this set.

I never did get a chance to get the Best of the 80's DVD set from the 25th line...one of the few things I missed. So, I was sitting here looking at my incomplete Mass Device, and decided to check ebay to see if I could pick one up and get the last piece I needed...then I saw the prices.

The cheapest one I found was $55.00 + shipping. The other two that were listed were over $70. There was another auction with just Alpine for $50 BIN. I know this is rare, but it's not $70-100 rare, IMO.

Is there still that much demand for this set that people are actually paying these prices?

Looks like you shouldn't have been sitting around all this time.

Next time you should be proactive now look at what you have to deal with.

Or you could be lucky like me and live in a state that these rarely saw the light of day. And when the lil island that you live on has only 4 Wal-Marts (none of which are Super by any means), a handful of K-Marts, and just this past year got the first ever Targets here, oh and 1 TRU, there's only going to be so much product to go around for all the collectors here. It's not about being proactive. It's about being in the right place at the right time with the right money available at that exact moment. Some were more fortunate. Some of the fortunate ones were collectors, some scalpers. Now, the rest of us have to find a happy medium if we are going to come away with anything without paying a fortune.

• Like 1

I paid a hefty price when I bought my Best of 80's pack. Recently I sold off my Joe collection and Alpine went for a rather large amount.

If you're looking for one you should just grab the cheapest BIN you can get your hands on because a bidding war will result in far higher prices. Believe me I tried.

Or you could be lucky like me and live in a state that these rarely saw the light of day. And when the lil island that you live on has only 4 Wal-Marts (none of which are Super by any means), a handful of K-Marts, and just this past year got the first ever Targets here, oh and 1 TRU, there's only going to be so much product to go around for all the collectors here. It's not about being proactive. It's about being in the right place at the right time with the right money available at that exact moment. Some were more fortunate. Some of the fortunate ones were collectors, some scalpers. Now, the rest of us have to find a happy medium if we are going to come away with anything without paying a fortune.

Collecting figures is a funny hobby. When that pack came out you couldn't give those suckers away. Now they go for a minimum $50 a pop.

I know people have ripped me for scalping a few items before but if I was any good at it I would've bought all those Best of 80's packs I saw lying around Target and Wal-Mart two years ago and thrown them in a closet.

all the dvd sets started to hit marshalls around thankgiving for 17 each, picked up a few, last toy show sold #'s 3,4,5 for $145. about a month ago at kmart i picked up extras of the #1, 2 for $6 each.

I saw 2 of them when they were released. I got one.

wish I picked up the other

I'm in the exact same boat! Kicking myself for not trading the second set at face value to a board member. Found mine at a Wal=MArt in Sept or October '08, I believe.

Collecting figures is a funny hobby. When that pack came out you couldn't give those suckers away. Now they go for a minimum $50 a pop.

I know people have ripped me for scalping a few items before but if I was any good at it I would've bought all those Best of 80's packs I saw lying around Target and Wal-Mart two years ago and thrown them in a closet.

Well the first few were shelfwarmers, but he's talking about the last set that was rare and most of us never saw it at a store.

I guess I got lucky as well. I happened to find mine while en route to see my fam during the holidays right after it was released. I had no idea that so few people were able to find it. I just chalked it up the usually poor distribution of product in my neck of the woods.

Well the first few were shelfwarmers, but he's talking about the last set that was rare and most of us never saw it at a store.

Actually in my area they were all shelf warmers. I know, everyone's area is different.

Ran to Marshalls near work, at lunch to look for this. No dice, but found the IG/Viper comic pack and serpentor/armadillo vehicle pack for dirt cheap. Going to check the 2 Marshalls closer to home for anymore deals. I want an Alpine figure but can't pay that much.

And I don't care if the best of never gets re-released, I want Alpine but its just not worth $70. Especially when there is likely a whole pile of em sitting in a warehouse someplace. The only reason these are rare is cause retailers turned there back on them cause they got stuck with so many of the first two sets.

And it was sold out online pretty quick too. I was pretty on top of pre-ordering all of the 25th stuff from BBTS the first day it was up, but missed this one by a few days and it was sold out.

So I picked up Alpine today at Joecon for $35. It was more than I wanted to pay but less than I would have probably found online or ebay. Course next time I walk into Ross the set will probably be sitting there :/

Actually in my area they were all shelf warmers. I know, everyone's area is different.

So you're saying that their are Alpine sets collecting dust on store shelves in your area?

So you're saying that their are Alpine sets collecting dust on store shelves in your area?

At the time yes. Not anymore. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

All RI has now is ROC figures on clearance. Everywhere.

I wish I had picked up all them I saw to have a trade bait! I saw this one atleast 9 or 10 times. I bought 2, one for me and one for a friend. One even sat at one WM for months! @loll@

Draven