Superman vs Gladiator

Pluvsjazzs

Both are very powerful but Superman is more popular! Take Superman as he is written today for sake of the argument who would win in an all out battle?

• Like 1

Gladiator is pretty cool, I like him but no way he is beating Superman. It would be a stellar fight because they essentially have the same powers (Gladiator = Marvel's orginal Superman knock-off) and that Gladiator doesn't hold back from the beginning. He would give it to Supes in the beginning but his power level doesn't compare and once his ego is knocked its totally over. Also for that crap Marvel loves to write (his vision is hotter than a star, and Sentry with the power of a million exploding suns) it doesn't mean anything because it is all talk and the characters never display such power and have been defeated as such.

This fight could go either way, and would probably take weeks to resolve. About the only way they're going to get a resolution is if Gladiator manages to take the fight to a system with a red sun and somehow keep it there. No, Gladiator is not going to "fold" as soon as Superman shows he can take a punch. Thor has taken punches from Gladiator without Gladiator wavering in his confidence, Superman would be no different. I don't know where anyone's getting this impression that he's "fragile" mentally speaking, but in most of his appearances he has no problem with it.

Gladiator lifted a 35 story skyscraper (the Baxter building) one-handed and survived the force of a near-nova explosion. He's easily equal to Superman in regards to strength and durability. Neither of them are likely to have Kryptonite or magic handy, so it really just comes down to a beat-down. Gladiator likely has the edge in experience and fighting skill (he's been doing it for centuries), but Superman's "never give up" attitude and above-average fighting skills will keep him in the hunt.

Incidentally? Saying something is "hotter than the sun" is not that big a deal. The surface of the sun isn't as hot as a lot of people think it is. Now if they say "hotter than the core of the sun" then they're probably stretching things.

Superman would easily win this.

In the early 80's, before he'd gotten to sink his hooks into Superman, John Byrne had been floating around the idea that Superman's powers largely worked because he BELIEVED he had them. Don't try to make too much sense of that because it doesn't really hold up well if you think about it. Without access to Superman, Byrne found a good enough substitute to test drive this dumb idea in one of Marvel's Superman homages (The other being the Squadron Supreme's Hyperion. Is that thread coming next?) the Imperial Guard's Gladiator. In Fantastic Four #250,.. a GREAT super hero battle by the way... Byrne had Gladiator fight the Fantastic Four and he was really doing a number on them until Mister Fantastic, using Captain America's shield and an assist from the Invisible Woman tricked Gladiator into momentarily doubting his own powers. Once that doubt crept in, it was all over for Gladiator and Sue was able to drop him with a force field to the jaw.

I don't know if Byrne ever transferred this dumb idea over to Superman but as long as the Man of Steel TRULY has his powers and doesn't just BELIEVE he has them, he's going to beat Gladiator any day of the week. After all, for the past seventy years, every sixty days, Superman has found new ways of tricking Mr.Mxyzptlk into saying his name backwards! Surely he can find a way into tricking Gladiator into doubting his abilities.

This fight could go either way, and would probably take weeks to resolve. About the only way they're going to get a resolution is if Gladiator manages to take the fight to a system with a red sun and somehow keep it there. No, Gladiator is not going to "fold" as soon as Superman shows he can take a punch. Thor has taken punches from Gladiator without Gladiator wavering in his confidence, Superman would be no different. I don't know where anyone's getting this impression that he's "fragile" mentally speaking, but in most of his appearances he has no problem with it.

Gladiator lifted a 35 story skyscraper (the Baxter building) one-handed and survived the force of a near-nova explosion. He's easily equal to Superman in regards to strength and durability. Neither of them are likely to have Kryptonite or magic handy, so it really just comes down to a beat-down. Gladiator likely has the edge in experience and fighting skill (he's been doing it for centuries), but Superman's "never give up" attitude and above-average fighting skills will keep him in the hunt.

Incidentally? Saying something is "hotter than the sun" is not that big a deal. The surface of the sun isn't as hot as a lot of people think it is. Now if they say "hotter than the core of the sun" then they're probably stretching things.

Your right in that Gladiator wouldn't fold immediately but he is used to being the dominate factor and what do you do when you encounter Superman. Thor is no Superman despite what some people may want to believe. Gladiator would be mentally fragile, especially regarding to what Masterjailer wrote about him. Also it doesn't make a difference how long someone has been around or doing the same job that gives them the advantage.....as example I know some stupid old people...lol

I tell you what, it would be an awesome fight and Supes would have his head raddled especially in the beginning of the fight, but remember Gladiator doesn't really hold back like Supes does, once Supes realizes the power level of Gladiator he will adjust accordingly and win. It in no means is an easy fight for either one.

Btw, Gladiator is a better Marvel Superman rip-off.........Sentry is just altogether weak.

Oh yeah, your right regarding the surface of the sun, I do believe that a lightning strike is hotter than the surface of the sun.

FF_Supes.jpg

For those who don't know, the original cover is of Gladiator

41016754zn4.jpg

This is an example of the awesome power of Gladiator.

Also I do not understand why Marvel Legends never made on of him, he is one of the most customed marvel characters. I do like Gladiator, IMO he beats Thor and Captain Marvel.

not to berate anyone here, but the comic there shows gladiator as an equal in a fight w/ colossus... which is pretty much proof he couldn't handle superman.

look, i'm a marvel fan way moreso than dc, but superman is kind of elite... dc has to jack up the hulk to get a guy who could conveivably beat superman in a permanent sense. the HULK. as far as marvel goes, outside the cosmic powers like the celestials or galactus, superman would really only stand challenged by a few names... thor, the silver surfer, thanos, quasar, captain marvel... that's really about it. because supes brings more to the table than simple strength. he is smart, though that isn't the trait that he's generally known for, he does fight a smart fight. he's fast, he's adaptable, and thanks to the heat vision/x-ray vision/cold breathe combo, he's got versatile powers to bring to bear. gladiator consistantly isn't in the top ranks of the marvel elite guys. hell, the last time tryco slatterus held his contest to see who's toughest, gladiator didn't even make the invite list. he was selling t-shirts at the stadium.

and yeah, to "thor isn't that tough" guy... thor's that tough. thor's been there and done that against guys that would have left supes crapping in his outerwear. plus, thor's magic, all magic, all the time... supes has NOTHING to offer thor. not a damned thing. think supes could tussel w/ ymir or surtur? nope, all magic, all the time. the celestials? not on a dare, too cosmically powerful, they'd leech the yellow sun powers right out of his cells w/ a thought and leave his corpse to burst in the vacuum of space. and thor's gone toe to toe w/ them all. a properly written thor (cuz i know they've faced, w/ the general assumption that thor woudl lose.) couldn't be effectively challenged by superman... the first asgardian magic blast he pinged off supes' chest (a tactic thor reverts to REGULARLY) would leave a big smoking hole through supes' torso and the fight's ovah! no fancy black duds and kentucky waterfall gonna heal him after that.

and yeah, to "thor isn't that tough" guy... thor's that tough. thor's been there and done that against guys that would have left supes crapping in his outerwear. plus, thor's magic, all magic, all the time... supes has NOTHING to offer thor. not a damned thing. think supes could tussel w/ ymir or surtur? nope, all magic, all the time. the celestials? not on a dare, too cosmically powerful, they'd leech the yellow sun powers right out of his cells w/ a thought and leave his corpse to burst in the vacuum of space. and thor's gone toe to toe w/ them all. a properly written thor (cuz i know they've faced, w/ the general assumption that thor woudl lose.) couldn't be effectively challenged by superman... the first asgardian magic blast he pinged off supes' chest (a tactic thor reverts to REGULARLY) would leave a big smoking hole through supes' torso and the fight's ovah! no fancy black duds and kentucky waterfall gonna heal him after that.

You have to understand how magic works on supes. Superman isn't ridiculously vulnerable to magic and often fights magical beings. I have a comic in which Wonder Woman asks Supes to help her fight in this magic realm, Supes agrees and fights all manner of magical and mythical beings/creatures. He and WW were there so long (hundreds of years) he forgot what Lois looked liked, but managed to stay faithful (not cheat with WW) but he did manage to help win the war, but magic worked a certain way so even though Supes fought for hundreds of years, he was returned hours or days from the time he left. Supes whipped magical beings all the time, he beat up both Atlas and Hercules at the same time! Supes would beat the living daylights out of Thor. Thor just recently had is butt handed to him by the Red Hulk, supposedly Thor did come back but did you see the beat down he was given??? Magic doesn't automatically give someone the advantage over Supes, if Supes can eat the lightning from Captain Marvel, he can take on Thor's magic attacks as well.

Here is an excerpt from http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_(Clark_Kent)#Powers

Weaknesses

• Magic: Superman's biomatrix is his most powerful asset, but the strength of this field is also its greatest weakness. It's permeability to certain wavelengths makes Superman vulnerable to certain radiations, particularly magical energies whose chaotic electromagnetic or extradimensional signatures disrupt this forcefield. Superman's vulnerability to magic varies on the special effects of the magic. No magic seems to be able to directly destroy him unless it comes from a semi-divine or divine source. He can be injured and worn down by magical entities. Magic can have powerful and unpredictable effects on Superman and his magical enemies have often proven to be the most dangerous.

Supes is eating whatever Thor has to offer!!

I WANT Gladiator to win.

post-4595-12713675615315_thumb.jpg

L: Fantastic Four #249 (December 1982), art by John Byrne

R: Superman v.2 #8 (August 1987), art by John Byrne and Karl Kesel

FF_Supes.jpg

For those who don't know, the original cover is of Gladiator

41016754zn4.jpg

This is an example of the awesome power of Gladiator.

Also I do not understand why Marvel Legends never made on of him, he is one of the most customed marvel characters. I do like Gladiator, IMO he beats Thor and Captain Marvel.

I like him to and im pissed they never made him the idiots! mad.gif

not to berate anyone here, but the comic there shows gladiator as an equal in a fight w/ colossus... which is pretty much proof he couldn't handle superman.[/QUOTe]

So you just choose to ignore the comics where he manhandles Thor, holds his own against Heralds of Galactus, etc...? Convenient. Try reading a few more comics and you'll see plenty of examples that show that Gladiator is easily equal to Superman. I'm sure I can pull out plenty of instances where Superman is given a lot of trouble by guys that shouldn't have any business fighting him, too, if I go looking.

gladiator consistantly isn't in the top ranks of the marvel elite guys. hell, the last time tryco slatterus held his contest to see who's toughest, gladiator didn't even make the invite list. he was selling t-shirts at the stadium.

Gladiator is a relatively obscure character, or at least was until recently, not to mention often being considered a "villain/antagonist" character. Most of the "tough guy" competitions involve Marvel's A and B list heroes only...not so much C-list and villains. You didn't see Mangog or Thanos get invoved to the "tough guy" competition either, did you? Are they weak because of that? Was the Silver Surfer there? How about the other Heralds of Galactus? Seriously, trying to use the Champion's contest as a guideline for who the toughest in the Marvel Universe is is more than a little stupid considering who else wasn't there.

Oh...incidentally? The last time the Champion did one of his "Take on all challengers" shticks (in the She-Hulk series) Gladiator WAS there. Of course he lost, but given that the Champion was wielding the Power Gem at the time, so would anyone else in a straight fight...Superman included.

not to berate anyone here, but the comic there shows gladiator as an equal in a fight w/ colossus... which is pretty much proof he couldn't handle superman.[/QUOTe]

So you just choose to ignore the comics where he manhandles Thor, holds his own against Heralds of Galactus, etc...? Convenient. Try reading a few more comics and you'll see plenty of examples that show that Gladiator is easily equal to Superman. I'm sure I can pull out plenty of instances where Superman is given a lot of trouble by guys that shouldn't have any business fighting him, too, if I go looking.

gladiator consistantly isn't in the top ranks of the marvel elite guys. hell, the last time tryco slatterus held his contest to see who's toughest, gladiator didn't even make the invite list. he was selling t-shirts at the stadium.

Gladiator is a relatively obscure character, or at least was until recently, not to mention often being considered a "villain/antagonist" character. Most of the "tough guy" competitions involve Marvel's A and B list heroes only...not so much C-list and villains. You didn't see Mangog or Thanos get invoved to the "tough guy" competition either, did you? Are they weak because of that? Was the Silver Surfer there? How about the other Heralds of Galactus? Seriously, trying to use the Champion's contest as a guideline for who the toughest in the Marvel Universe is is more than a little stupid considering who else wasn't there.

Oh...incidentally? The last time the Champion did one of his "Take on all challengers" shticks (in the She-Hulk series) Gladiator WAS there. Of course he lost, but given that the Champion was wielding the Power Gem at the time, so would anyone else in a straight fight...Superman included.

In a straight fight, Clark would win over Kallark...yes, Gladiator's alter ego is Kallark...lol

Both of them are realitively the same character and each are written differnt over their publication history. We know Thor beat Gladiator and it wasn't the real Thor but the weaker Thunderstrike version. Superman has already beat Thor in the crossover so I think that Supes can take him but it wouldn't be an easy fight, planets may get smashed in the process.

this would be a close one. I can see this fight going for days.....

until Aquaman comes along and beats them both up, at the same time, while holding a hot cup of coffee in one hand.

Aquaman puts down both Supes and Gladiator without spilling a drop of his coffee, and he gets to drink it while it's still hot.

until Aquaman comes along and beats them both up, at the same time, while holding a hot cup of coffee in one hand.

Aquaman puts down both Supes and Gladiator without spilling a drop of his coffee, and he gets to drink it while it's still hot.

@loll@ @firedevil@ @loll@