Is Deadpool the new Wolverine?

FlyingFigg

So I go to my LCBS yesterday and pickup the new issue of Moonknight which I have been enjoying since issue #1. The issue that came out this week was guest starring none other than Deadpool. In addition to this there was the last issue of Cable released retitled Deadpool and Cable as a homage to their on-going (now cancelled) series they had. The first issue of Deadpool Corps was on the shelf as well. There's also the Deadpool ongoing series, Merc with a Mouth, Deadpool Team-up, and I've heard he will become a permanent fixture in X-force down the road (could be an unfounded rumour).

That's a whole lot of Deadpool!

It seems the character is gaining more and more steam and will soon if not already replace the guys that are Marvel's poster boys that guest stars in what seems to be everything much like Wolverine is/was.

Does it seem to anyone that there's a little too much Deadpool going on? I like the character, I like most of the titles he's in (not everything). but it seems to me the Marvel Universe is getting saturated with his over exposure. I don't think he's an easy character to write well what with the breaking the fourth wall and the multiple voices in his head. Maybe he is easy to write. After all, I'm not a writter so what do I know?

I realize Marvel's going to showcase characters that sell books, and I don't blame them for it. It's not like DC doesn't use the exact same characters over and over. It just seems to be getting a little much to me.

Thoughts?

• Like 6

He's a cross between Wolverine and Spider-Man. Wolverine's healing factor + Spidey's wit times three = Deadpool. So, yes, he's the new bread and butter for Marvel.

It's over exposure, that's for sure.

I was slightly interested in picking up a Deadpool book then I went to the comic store and found he has FOUR ongoing series'! That's more books than Superman! Not knowing which I should buy, I just passed on them all and saved some money.

honestly I think Deadpool's always been popular it just started going mad in 2009 and now he has become a poster boy for marvel

I collect Deadpool, Deadpool Merc with a Mouth, and I've been picking up the Prelude to DPC. They are fun books that don't take themselves seriously. He's an extremely powerful (he's regen'd from a hand before and I'm fairly certain thanks to Thanos he won't ever die - otherwise he'd get to be with his main squeeze Death) character who constantly gets his @$$ handed to him from cover to cover in between quirky comebacks and off the wall retorts.

And he's bat #$%^ crazy. As long as the stories stay humorous and occasional pertinent in the 616 - make mine Marvel.

It's over exposure, that's for sure.

I was slightly interested in picking up a Deadpool book then I went to the comic store and found he has FOUR ongoing series'! That's more books than Superman! Not knowing which I should buy, I just passed on them all and saved some money.

That was my thinking as well. As long as people keep buying them, Marvel will continue to make them.

It seems like it... His products are worth more than everyone else... I been trying to get his Minimate version... The price is unbelievable...

?!? What does he go for ?..

It seems like it... His products are worth more than everyone else... I been trying to get his Minimate version... The price is unbelievable...

A quick search in ye ol' e-bay sold list and it seems the comic Deadpool with Wolverine goes for roughly $35 - $56.

A quick search in ye ol' e-bay sold list and it seems the comic Deadpool with Wolverine goes for roughly $35 - $56.

http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-MiniMates-Figure-Wolverine-Deadpool/dp/B002MYJX0U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1271081891&sr=8-2

And we have this idiot selling it for 100...

I searched ebay & could only find movie deadpool :S Damn I think I have an entire box of this wave someplace... Unless I had already took them in for trade :S

$$$$$$$$$$$$

And he's bat #$%^ crazy. As long as the stories stay humorous and occasional pertinent in the 616 - make mine Marvel.

disrespectful

Disrespectful of what? Fictional characters? Bats?

I need some elaboration here.

• Like 6

disrespectful

Disrespectful of what? Fictional characters? Bats?

I need some elaboration here.

Mmm. Me too. Sure, I can be rude, crude, and socially unacceptable, but I wasn't even trying this time.

and you weren't rude, so don't know what that was about.

Anyways...

I fear it could lead to over doing it. They did it with Venom back in the day too. Some characters are best used in small doses. Heck most comic book chars are.

Marvel has made many of fanboy hate the once "cool" wolverine by craming him down our throats. I avoid wolverine and the x-men toon just for that reason, I won't buy any book that Wolvie in it whatsoever either.