Aquaman vs Namor

Pluvsjazzs

this is an interesting topic and all, but who cares? Let's just decide what everyone is really wondering. Who is gayer Namor or Aquaman?

IDK? both of namor's suits look....lets just say "less than manly" but speedo trunks look fruity anyway.

I like the solution that MARVEL and DC came-up with in the 90's.

Aquaman is NOT stupid; he senses Namor's incredible physical power, and understands that a hand-to-hand brawl would be pointless.

So he let's Namor pontificate about his vast power and regal stature, and while Namor is distracted by his own narcissistic rant, Aquaman drops a blue-whale on his head.

End of story.

• Like 1

Despite Namor's superior strength and durability, this ultimately is probably an Aquaman victory unless it's a straight brawl in a very empty part of the ocean (or on dry land). Indeed, there's a very real possibility that Aquaman could use his telepathy on Namor himself to shut him down, but barring that, Aquaman vs. Namor in the "normal" ocean isn't just Aquaman vs. Namor....it's Namor vs. Aquaman and all his ocean-going friends...and he's not going to be able to stop all of Aquaman's little friends -and- Aquaman himself.

To put it more simply: If it's just a straight brawl and nothing else, Namor wins handily. If the battle takes place in any semblance of the normal ocean, though, the edge goes to Aquaman due to versatility and generally being more clever.

• Like 2

Aquaman is one of those ridiculously powerful characters who is never used right, except for short instances when his entire powerscale is used. I believe Aquaman is faster in the sea than Namor is. If Aquaman is faster using under his own strength does that make him stronger because he uses his own muscles to move? Aquaman is pretty strong in physical strength (remember Aquaman gave to the evil Captain Marvel in Crisis on two earths) plus Aquaman has become a lot more brutal in the last 10 years or more. I give it to Aquaman who has a wider array of powers.

Aquaman has more powers (control over sea life, magic hand, control over Namor)

Aquaman is sneaky

Aquaman is faster in the sea

Aquaman probably has equal or slightly exceeding strength than Namor

Namor is probably a better overall fighter, he may not be stronger but he is a better warrior

aquamanVSnamorSmall.jpg

• Like 3

Jmacq1 wrote:

there's a very real possibility that Aquaman could use his telepathy on Namor himself to shut him down

Huh? Is this some sort of silly new power they gave Aquaman after I stopped reading modern comics in the late 80's? Because he never had any such power. That's just ridiculous. I suppose we can take that argument to where Aquaman can "shut down" Superman, then Galactus? It makes no sense.

Aquaman has never been shown as having anywhere near the strength exhibited by Namor over the years. Now again, I'm talking about comics back when they were sane, up until the late 80s/early 90's when they started doing all sorts of strange things to the characters. But traditionally speaking, Namor would wipe up Aquaman. Namor has always been portrayed as much more powerful. We have no comparison for speed, so we can assume they're just as fast. Aquaman can summon sea creatures, but what is a shark gonna do to Namor, really? And Namor can blow that horn he has and summon Leviathan or whatever that thing is called, so that counters Aquaman's telepathy with sea life.

I'd also dispute the claims that Aquaman is sneakier or more clever or whatever. Namor can be pretty intelligent himself, when he's not ranting away.

But again, I ignore anything after the late 80's in these sort of "vs. debates" simply because modern stuff is notoriously unreliable and inconsistent in the portrayal of the characters. When a writer wants to favor a character, he simply amps up his power far beyond what the character had for the last 25, 50, 70 years, or adds new powers never before seen. Bah!

• Like 1

Aquaman won by dropping A Whale on Namor Once.......

I'm not a "Doctor" but telepathy is defined as "apparent communication from one mind to another without using sensory perceptions"

How does this Mean using your mind can catapult A Whale through the air?

If it does I reckon Aquaman could coat Galactus with an Airtight shield of Whales if there are enough left!

A comic worth reading!!

Otherwise they should just have a swimming race and call it quits.

• Like 1

I've never been fond of either character.

Aquaman being able to communicate with sealife is rather cool, but Namor has some Marine Telepathy, as well. Namors limited Marine telepathy might prevent Aquaman from using his non-Marine telepathy.

Namor is definitely stronger and can fly.

I've never liked that they call Namor the first mutant, and lump him in with the X-Men, when all the powers he has should have been simply explained as genes and abilities he inherited from his Atlantean mother.

I was fond of the Super-Friends cartoon.

In the end, I just don't know.

Jmacq1 wrote:

there's a very real possibility that Aquaman could use his telepathy on Namor himself to shut him down

Huh? Is this some sort of silly new power they gave Aquaman after I stopped reading modern comics in the late 80's? Because he never had any such power. That's just ridiculous. I suppose we can take that argument to where Aquaman can "shut down" Superman, then Galactus? It makes no sense.

Aquaman has never been shown as having anywhere near the strength exhibited by Namor over the years. Now again, I'm talking about comics back when they were sane, up until the late 80s/early 90's when they started doing all sorts of strange things to the characters. But traditionally speaking, Namor would wipe up Aquaman. Namor has always been portrayed as much more powerful. We have no comparison for speed, so we can assume they're just as fast. Aquaman can summon sea creatures, but what is a shark gonna do to Namor, really? And Namor can blow that horn he has and summon Leviathan or whatever that thing is called, so that counters Aquaman's telepathy with sea life.

I'd also dispute the claims that Aquaman is sneakier or more clever or whatever. Namor can be pretty intelligent himself, when he's not ranting away.

But again, I ignore anything after the late 80's in these sort of "vs. debates" simply because modern stuff is notoriously unreliable and inconsistent in the portrayal of the characters. When a writer wants to favor a character, he simply amps up his power far beyond what the character had for the last 25, 50, 70 years, or adds new powers never before seen. Bah!

Aquaman has control over sea life, Namor is part sea life, so Aquaman has a measure of control over him. Aquaman's power is extended in depth as the years have went on, exploring what all constitutes being able to control marine life.

Also Aquaman is as durable as Namor. Both can deal with the extreme pressures of the deep, so Aquaman is easily as resilient as Namor.

The moment Namor blows that horn and summons the Leviathan, Aquaman will control it and make it kill Namor, that was your worst point ever.

Your right in saying that Namor has traditionally been portrayed as stronger, but Aquaman has had bouts of extreme feats. Aquaman has shown as being able to swim ridiculously fast, faster than all Atlantean sea ships and strong enough to rip them open. In JL he smashed a moving car with one hand and in the movie "Crisis" he fought and beat up Captain Marvel who is wayyyy more powerful than Namor -- its like Namor beating up Thor.

Aquaman wins this!

• Like 3

Superpowers1980 wrote:

Aquaman has control over sea life, Namor is part sea life, so Aquaman has a measure of control over him

That's the most horrible logic I have ever seen. Namor is not "sea life". Aquaman has been around for almost 70 years and he has never been shown to be able to control humans or humanoids. Only sea life such as sharks, crabs, dolphins, etc. Namor is part human, part Atlantean. If Aquaman can control such a being, then why can't he simply control all Atlanteans in DC comics and prevent criminal activity? This is a ridiculous and unreasonable escalation of his powers and a perfect example of why I so strongly condemn the crappy modern writers who "invent" nonsense like this with their faulty logic and poor writing skills.

As for Aquaman's ability to control fish, Namor had the ability to establish rapport with sea life as well, although they downplayed that in the Silver & Bronze Ages. In the Silver Age he had the power to imitate sea life abilities such as the electrical charge of an electric eel, etc.

Also Aquaman is as durable as Namor. Both can deal with the extreme pressures of the deep, so Aquaman is easily as resilient as Namor.

True, he has been shown as able to endure underwater pressure, but he's never been able to take hits from super-strong beings. Namor can stand up to the Hulk and the Thing, whereas Aquaman has never been shown to have anywhere near this level of power.

The moment Namor blows that horn and summons the Leviathan, Aquaman will control it and make it kill Namor, that was your worst point ever.

Wrong. The horn grants control over the Leviathan, so Namor would retain control. Again, Namor doesn't need help.

Your right in saying that Namor has traditionally been portrayed as stronger, but Aquaman has had bouts of extreme feats. Aquaman has shown as being able to swim ridiculously fast, faster than all Atlantean sea ships and strong enough to rip them open. In JL he smashed a moving car with one hand and in the movie "Crisis" he fought and beat up Captain Marvel who is wayyyy more powerful than Namor -- its like Namor beating up Thor.

As I keep saying and you refuse to hear, I ignore modern comics because they are illogical, unreasonable, and entirely inconsistent with 70+ years of established continuity. To say that Aquaman can "turn off Namor" with his telepathy is as silly as claiming the earth is flat. Your example typifies this nonsense. Aquaman beat up Capt. Marvel? A perfect example of a crappy writer who doesn't know his characters or comic history. It's so stupid it's almost not worth commenting on, except that people accept that crap without using common sense to even see how ridiculous it is. :rolleyes:

Superpowers1980 wrote:

Aquaman has control over sea life, Namor is part sea life, so Aquaman has a measure of control over him

That's the most horrible logic I have ever seen. Namor is not "sea life". Aquaman has been around for almost 70 years and he has never been shown to be able to control humans or humanoids. Only sea life such as sharks, crabs, dolphins, etc. Namor is part human, part Atlantean. If Aquaman can control such a being, then why can't he simply control all Atlanteans in DC comics and prevent criminal activity? This is a ridiculous and unreasonable escalation of his powers and a perfect example of why I so strongly condemn the crappy modern writers who "invent" nonsense like this with their faulty logic and poor writing skills.

As for Aquaman's ability to control fish, Namor had the ability to establish rapport with sea life as well, although they downplayed that in the Silver & Bronze Ages. In the Silver Age he had the power to imitate sea life abilities such as the electrical charge of an electric eel, etc.

True, he has been shown as able to endure underwater pressure, but he's never been able to take hits from super-strong beings. Namor can stand up to the Hulk and the Thing, whereas Aquaman has never been shown to have anywhere near this level of power.

Wrong. The horn grants control over the Leviathan, so Namor would retain control. Again, Namor doesn't need help.

As I keep saying and you refuse to hear, I ignore modern comics because they are illogical, unreasonable, and entirely inconsistent with 70+ years of established continuity. To say that Aquaman can "turn off Namor" with his telepathy is as silly as claiming the earth is flat. Your example typifies this nonsense. Aquaman beat up Capt. Marvel? A perfect example of a crappy writer who doesn't know his characters or comic history. It's so stupid it's almost not worth commenting on, except that people accept that crap without using common sense to even see how ridiculous it is. rolleyes.gif

Aquaman doesn't have total control over Atlantean people, its not mind control like he does with marine life. He has shown that he temporarely shut down Atlantean brains due to their close link to marine life. In the crossover, he shut down Namorita, but only gave Namor a pounding headache. It is just an extension of Aquaman's power that requires a lot of focus. Even though you don't accept modern comics, its still a logical extension of his powers. Sea life have less complex brains so Aquaman can easily control them, Atlantean life is harder on him and required extreme focus but its quite probable that he could have such a power

Aquaman could and would control the Leviathan, its a sea creature by nature and he can control it. The Leviathan would have to be totally wild like Pirahana (however its spelled) in order for him not to control it, but the Leviathan can be controlled so Aquaman would have no problem.

Your right again that Namor has consistently been portrayed as a high-level power based character. He has fought Hulk level characters and even though he loses, he does deliver some serious blow. Aquaman is not as consistent, but again he has his moments. He once altered the course of the water flows on the JL moon base, that in itself was a tremedous feat.

I know you don't like or accept modern comics but they are as much a reality as the early stories. No character, even within ten years of being created has stayed the same. As time goes on, each writer takes an attribute and explands upon it, of course most often without reason, but you firmly accept the power level of modern day Thor and Hulk which is 3 to 4 times more for the character than when they first appeared. Aquaman if anything he has one of the best progressions in comics.

I don't how you can say modern comics are plausible but you accept Namor being able to fly because he has tiny wings on his ankles......that is the most laughable things in existence

• Like 3

Namor swims at 70 knots which is roughly 80 mph while Aquaman swims at 10,000 feet per second. So Aquaman is faster in the sea and if swiming under his own power (physical strength) gets him at those speeds, he is either equal in strength or nearly as strong as Namor.

• Like 3

Superpowers1980 wrote:

Aquaman doesn't have total control over Atlantean people, its not mind control like he does with marine life. He has shown that he temporarely shut down Atlantean brains due to their close link to marine life. In the crossover, he shut down Namorita, but only gave Namor a pounding headache. It is just an extension of Aquaman's power that requires a lot of focus. Even though you don't accept modern comics, its still a logical extension of his powers. Sea life have less complex brains so Aquaman can easily control them, Atlantean life is harder on him and required extreme focus but its quite probable that he could have such a power

No, it's not a natural extension of his power, it's an illogical, idiotic power escalation dreamed up by a poor writer. Aquaman controlled sea life because they were lower life forms. It's part of the design of the character. He's like the king of the sea so to speak, and the animals there are his subjects. Giving him the power to "shut down" peoples' brains is ridiculous.

Aquaman could and would control the Leviathan, its a sea creature by nature and he can control it. The Leviathan would have to be totally wild like Pirahana (however its spelled) in order for him not to control it, but the Leviathan can be controlled so Aquaman would have no problem.

Leviathan is controlled by the bearer of the horn, which is more powerful than Aquaman's power to control it. So Namor would retain control, not that he'd even need Leviathan to defeat Aquaman in the first place.

Your right again that Namor has consistently been portrayed as a high-level power based character. He has fought Hulk level characters and even though he loses, he does deliver some serious blow. Aquaman is not as consistent, but again he has his moments. He once altered the course of the water flows on the JL moon base, that in itself was a tremedous feat.

And again, I debate these things without giving credence to the slop that passes for writing in recent, modern times. If we acknowledge the drivel that spews out of comics these days, there's no point in debating these things because it's all meaningless. Why? Because there is no consistency, there is no continuity, there is no respect for 70+ years of character development, there is no reliable baseline. I realize you can't understand why that makes sense, but it does.

I know you don't like or accept modern comics but they are as much a reality as the early stories.

To acknowledge those poorly written slop stories is to engage in mental laziness and to act as a drone that simply uncritically accepts whatever the comic of the month tells you to accept. I'm afraid I'm far too intelligent and critical to do that. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer quality in the things I buy, I don't just accept whatever crap is placed on my plate. If DC Comics wrote a story where Aquaman kicked God's ass, would you accept it as canon? :rolleyes:

No character, even within ten years of being created has stayed the same. As time goes on, each writer takes an attribute and explands upon it, of course most often without reason, but you firmly accept the power level of modern day Thor and Hulk which is 3 to 4 times more for the character than when they first appeared. Aquaman if anything he has one of the best progressions in comics.

And I will repeat for the umpteenth time, I look at the characters as they have been definitively portrayed for decades, not just the current flavor-of-the-month version. Aquaman has been pretty consistent in his portrayal for almost 70 years now. No really significant changes to his powers. Same for Namor. So when DC hires some moron whose IQ seems to indicate he should be slinging a mop rather than writing, and that moron writes some drivel about Aquaman beating up Capt. Marvel, we can dismiss it as crap.

I don't how you can say modern comics are plausible but you accept Namor being able to fly because he has tiny wings on his ankles......that is the most laughable things in existence

You're not even listening. I never said modern comics are plausible. I said they are poorly written crap.

Namor swims at 70 knots which is roughly 80 mph while Aquaman swims at 10,000 feet per second. So Aquaman is faster in the sea and if swiming under his own power (physical strength) gets him at those speeds, he is either equal in strength or nearly as strong as Namor.

Well thank you for once again proving that the writers of are talentless hacks. That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard coming from DC. Well, perhaps not the stupidest, but it's up there in the top 3. :rolleyes:

So let me get this straight. Namor swims at 80 mph, which is a bit faster than the fastest submarine (50 mph) or the fastest fish (70mph). Ok, I can buy that. But then you tell me that Aquaman can swim at 10,000 feet per second, which with the help of my handy calculator comes to 6,818 mph? :blink: So DC now says that Aquaman can swim at roughly 9 times the speed of sound beneath the ocean waves? To put that in perspective, the SR-71 Blackbird plane, the fastest in the world for the longest time, soared along at a mere 2,200 mph or Mach 3.5 (3.5 times the speed of sound). NASA's X-43 rocket-powered plane momentarily hit Mach 6.7, or almost 7 times the speed of sound.

So you're telling me that DC has Aquaman swimming at 9 times the speed of sound when the fastest airplane soars along at only 7 times the speed of sound? And that's with rocket boosters!

That is utter and total idiocy, and yet another perfect justification for ignoring the stupid, illogical, unreasonable, inaccurate crap being peddled to uncritical comic-buying drones these days. It's too stupid to even honor with a response, but I will anyway. Aquaman cannot swim at 10,000 fps. End of story.

I gotta call some of my old DC comic-collecting buddies whom I haven't spoken with in a while and let them know. Not sure if they're gonna laugh their asses off or puke in disgust, but I do suspect we'll see a lot of eye-rolling and derogatory remarks about DC!

Sorry, Xorr. This one I have to give to Aquaman.

1. I don't know of the exact strength limitations and ranges of either character. Frankly, in spite of any Who's Who or Marvel Handbook entries, both characters, like most super-heroes, have had their power levels fluctuate all too often (usually in accordance to the needs of the story) for this to really be a factor.

2. Aquaman is a natural telepath and has natural control over sea animals. Namor needs a magic horn to pull off what Aquaman can do with a thought.

3. Namor is an undisciplined sloppy brawler where Aquaman retains a cool head and fights strategically.

4. Out of the water, Namor can suffer from an imbalance of the oxygen levels in his blood which has caused havoc with his ability to reason.

5. Namor has sustained untreated brain damage. He wondered the Earth as an amnesiac for decades!

6. Namor relies on his tiny ankle wings to fly. Aquaman can swim anywhere he wants under his own steam and in a pinch, he can ride his sea horse or his aquacycle!

7. Namor is an unprincipled scumbag who has sided with villains whenever it suited him and has no regard for marital vows as is evident in his relentless stalking of the Invisible Girl!

8. Namor can only retreat to his Atlantean palace (if he hasn't been deposed this week!) whereas not only does Aquaman have a similar Atlantean palace but he also has his incredible Aquacave!

• Like 1