SPOILER WARNING: Read Blackest Night 8

LarryKoopa

I couldn't think of a title that wouldn't spoil what I just figured out. If you haven't read Blackest Night 8 yet, get on it. If you have, go get it for a quick re-read. What I have to say will make you defecate building materials.

I'll give everyone a minute to have read the book.

If you haven't read BN8 yet there will be MAJOR SPOILERS.

Okay, everyone who saw the list of newly-resurrected heroes must've wondered the same thing I did: Why resurrect Deadman? Isn't his power the fact that he is not alive? Surely this was poorly thought out because now his power is: acrobatics.

BUT WAIT! Turn to the page after Barry asks about the Dibneys (34 if you count the page spreads as 2 and 4 pages, instead of one each). When Deadman says "You can see me?" he is wearing a gorram White Lantern Ring.

And he's the only one. None of the others got to keep their rings. Not Sinestro. Not the "white lantern corps." None of the other fresh resurrectees. Just Deadman. Or should I say Boston Brand, White Lantern of Earth? That's right. His power just went from "I'm dead!" to "I'm ALIVE!" I guarantee he powers his ring with his love of life. Who would appreciate life more than a guy who's been dead since 1967?

I'll give you a minute to find new pants, then we've gotta talk about this!

(P.S. This sure makes the Deadman at my Walmart clearanced to $11 seem a little silly.)

• Like 1

Wow good eye I never noticed that the first time reading it! He does have the white ring still! He is a bit confusing because the ring original went right through him, so what did it do ?.. Go find his body or what?.. The others just appeared from no where Its weird that he was different ... Makes me wonder if it is really him or what is going on

I think it's really Boston. The white entity probably doesn't screw these things up.

And my favorite new classic costume is J'onn's! I'm also pretty psyched for Aquaman's return to glory and a BTBATB-style Firestorm (Ronnie and Jason).

Need I point out that we FINALLY have everyone in place for the satellite era JLA? I mean once Superman and Batman are back, the only people unavailable are the Dibneys. Call Plastic Man, I guess!

• Like 1

Even more suprising is Hal's comment at the end of the book (which is actually reads as more of a message from writer to reader): "I think dead is dead from here on out". BUAAAAHahahahahahahaaa! Yeah right!

Anyhow...I enjoyed the series. I will more than likely be there for the inevitable attempt to give Aquaman yet ANOTHER ongoing series.

First off, YAHOOOO!!!! that Hank Hall is back. He got shortshafted during that whole Armageddon 2001 thing.

Secondly, what happens when Tim Wayne finds out the guy that killed his father got a death reprieve and his father didn't?

Jade coming back into Kyle's life after he just came to terms with her death and is moving on with his new GL GF is going to be awkward.

Ronnie and Jason sharing the Firestorm Matrix after BL Ronnie KILLED Jason's girlfriend is going to make for some tension.

• Like 1

blackest night=epic fail of a story line

first of all 8 months is to long for this type of event (comic events should be 3-5 months), to many tie ins, to much bs with all the lanterns, bs excuse to bring back all the dead, everyone in dcu u has pretty much been a lantern of some sort no, dc is just milking a good/decent idea and driving it into the ground just like they did 52.

lots of people seemed to agree with this, while i stood in line for 2 hrs talking to people, trying to get my wondercon exclusive hal and sinestro.

ya i agree with some of ur points, like the 8 month thing and the fact that most the dc universe became lanterns. But still i think the story was cool and it opens lots of speculations with the white corps.Also some dead heroes didnt return and i think the revived heroes will actually be there for a reason.

first of all 8 months is to long for this type of event (comic events should be 3-5 months), to many tie ins, to much bs with all the lanterns, bs excuse to bring back all the dead, everyone in dcu u has pretty much been a lantern of some sort no, dc is just milking a good/decent idea and driving it into the ground just like they did 52.

lots of people seemed to agree with this, while i stood in line for 2 hrs talking to people, trying to get my wondercon exclusive hal and sinestro.

LOL at this! So you, and apparantly a lot of other people, stood in line for hours to get figures from a story line you were less than excided about?! LOL!!!

Sorry, not trying to sound like a jerk, I just HAD to point that out. Actually I may agree with you on some of your points:

A bs excuse to bring back all the dead? Probably. But at least they did it all using one BIG bs excuse instead of bringing them all back and each having their own lame reason for returning from the dead (you know they weren't staying dead anyway...)

Everyone in the DCU being a lantern? Yes, they definately milked this one. Almost as if they were saying "How many new action figures can we get out of this story line". A very "Star Wars" move there.

Too long? Too may tie ins? Nah. It's a comic event. DC and Marvel have done it before and it'll be done again.

My only problem with it taking so many months to play out is that continuity-wise I have real trouble placing it inside of the events of the rest of the DCU. To try and fit it in, it takes a great deal of logic stretching, such as: Nekron and Black Hand take Batman's head from his grave and briefly make him into a Black Lantern. After the crisis is over, the head is recovered, reattached to the body and put into his costume, and placed into the Bat Bunker, where Dick takes it and tries to reanimate it in the Lazarus Pit. That makes no sense considering everyone was positive that the body didn't belong to Bruce Wayne by the end of Blackest Night, so why would Dick even try resurrecting it? If you try to put Blackest Night after Dick's resurrection attempt, it makes even less sense because Dick would have had to bury the body of clone after realizing it isn't Bruce. Burying the body at all makes no sense due to the fact it was placed in an unmarked grave because Hush is running around as Bruce. Wouldn't you just keep the body somewhere safe instead of burying it in a public place?

The other major storyline that I have trouble reconciling is Cry for Justice. I was assuming that it occurred before Blackest Night because I would assume that Hal has better things to do after Blackest Night than spend his time tracking down villians. However, in later issues/tie-ins they make reference to Green Arrow becoming a Black Lantern meaning it takes place after. How does that make sense?

It just feels to me that the DCU has too many big stories going on right now and I tire of all the resurrections, cities being destroyed, etc. Having a major crossover event once a year is too much as far as I'm concerned, never mind having several of them going on at once.

Louis

i got the figures because i need want to like the storyline, green lantern is prob my second fav dc character behind batman. Just because i didnt like the story doesnt mean that i dont like certain characters and the figures. I didnt really like episode 1 either yet have bought figures from that movie....so that coraltion of me hating the story and buying the figures real dont hold weight. I try and get any hal figures that come out, and sinestros cuz thats his rival.

thats why i got theses figures and plus i have 2 sets from sdcc left and dont want to have an incomplete set.