Pray for my wife, my children, and me. Breast Cancer.

I AM SCI-FI

My wife, Jenny, has been diagnosed with breast cancer (to be referred to as "bc" from here on). It's just entered stage 2.

She recently discovered the lump, in her left breast, on 3-9. She had a mammogram and ultra sound on 3-12, biopsy on 3-17 and a MRI on 3-22. The MRI was good, meaning there were no signs that it has spread to other parts of her body. Nearby lymphnodes look clean. She had a port surgically implanted on 3-25. Chemo starts this coming Wednesday morning, 3-31.

She will turn 32 in May. We have three children together (two sons; 10 and almost 8, and one daughter; 2 yrs 9 months).

It's genetic. Her mother passed, due to "bc", on Jenny's fifth birthday. Her maternal grandmother also passed of "bc" when she was in her 20's. One of her maternal aunts is a "bc" survivor. Her older sister has had a few cysts and biopsies that all came out benign. We're waiting on results to see if the type of genetic breast cancer is BRCA1 or BRCA2 to determine further treatment procedures.

When we know exactly which gene mutatation she has her sister will be tested. Later, my wifes three nieces, and our children can be tested to see if they have the gene when they are of an appropriate age. This also means the test will be cheaper for them. Then, can take better preventative measures.

As you can see, we've known the possibility of Jenny getting "bc" has always been a high probability. Still, since the moment she found the lump, this has been happening so fast that my head is still spinning.

She will lose her hair. With this being genetic, this will most likely (90-something% sure) end up with a double mastectomy to prevent this from happening again.

My wife was extremely scared the first few days. However, from learning just how much they've advanced since `83, and relying on her faith in the Lord, she's shown much courage and positivity.

We know we will beat this.

Yes, we have medical insurance. Still, this will be expensive and difficult, but in the end it will, of course, be oh so worth it.

Please pray for us.

As I type this, the words seem to be coming off dry. Robotic. Detached. I just cannot convey in words what I am feeling emotionally.

Just pray.

Oh man I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I am going through this same kind of thing with my mom so if you want to talk, vent whatever pm me. You'll have a lot of support here. Trust me.

:(

Very sorry to hear of this and you certainly have my thoughts and prayers going out to you and your family.

Ah, man...what's with people on these boards and their loved ones getting cancer?

It sucks that your wife is so young, and has to go through this...I wouldn't wish chemotherapy on anyone. Even worse with the age of your kids. Gotta be scary and rough for them as well. :(

I'll definitely keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Seems there's quite a few of us who have experienced this with people very close to us, so like Nevermore said, if you need to vent, don't hesitate to come here...we're willing to lend an ear.

My is a survivor, they have come a long way !

My prayers are with you.

I'd advise getting her to cut her hair herself, My mom did after a few strands started to fall out. They say it's empowering.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, everyone, for keeping us in your prayers and thoughts.

I have good news. My wife went in for her second chemo treatment Wednesday, and the lump had shrunk so much from the first treatment that they are cutting back on how many she will need to just four more. It will still be once every two weeks. I truly thank God for this. It was originally going to be 6 months of chemo. The first 3 months would be one treatment every 2 weeks, and the second 3 months would be one treatment everyweek. The once every two weeks treatment kicks her butt so much I just don't know how I would have handled seeing her reacting to a treatment everyweek.

She's really losing her hair, now, though. We got a free wig from the American Cancer Society for her.

She'll still need the double mastectomy at the end, because this was confirmed genetic. They didn't tell us if it was BRCA1 or BRCA2, though. When I find out I'll let everyone know.

Again, thank you all.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone, for keeping us in your prayers and thoughts.

I have good news. My wife went in for her second chemo treatment Wednesday, and the lump had shrunk so much from the first treatment that they are cutting back on how many she will need to just four more. It will still be once every two weeks. I truly thank God for this. It was originally going to be 6 months of chemo. The first 3 months would be one treatment every 2 weeks, and the second 3 months would be one treatment everyweek. The once every two weeks treatment kicks her butt so much I just don't know how I would have handled seeing her reacting to a treatment everyweek.

She's really losing her hair, now, though. We got a free wig from the American Cancer Society for her.

She'll still need the double mastectomy at the end, because this was confirmed genetic. They didn't tell us if it was BRCA1 or BRCA2, though. When I find out I'll let everyone know.

Again, thank you all.

AWESOME! Still sending out the prayers for a FULL 100% recovery with no further complications. :)

AWESOME! Still sending out the prayers for a FULL 100% recovery with no further complications. :)

I second this sentiment.

I was just thinking about this the other day, and was going to ask how things were going...glad to hear the news is good! :)

I know what you are going through. My wife was diagnosed with Leukemia last July. We have a four year old and a 21 month old. It's been a rough year, but she is now free of it and recovering at home. She had a couple rounds of chemo and her bone marrow transplant was back in December. We are lucky to live near the University of Minnesota. Their hospital is the one you want to go to for Leukemia treatment. They did the first successful BMT and continue to be at the head of research for it. The Mayo Clinic sends people here. I pray things go as well for you.

While things are going well for my wife, her mom was diagnosed with colon cancer in early November. You can't make this stuff up. Her mom has been getting chemo and is usually pretty tired. Her eating habits are pretty poor right now. She has some more appointments coming up to see just what is going on.

We really could use a break from this bulls!&t.

• 3 months later...

So, my wife had only four chemo treatments. Originally, they had planned 18-20. Her last was on her birthday, May the 12th. She had her double-mastectomy on June the 17th, the day before our daughters third birthday (we had to have her birthday party 6 days early because of that). Really, the double-mastectomy is more of a preventative measure to keep this from happening again because of the BRCA-1 gene mutation.

The most important part was that the pathology report was all clear. Praise God.

She had spacers/expanders surgically implanted behind her pectoral muscles on July the 9th.

She had the last drainage bulb, on her left side, removed Friday, July the 30th.

She's still very sore, and probably won't be back to work for a couple more weeks.

I came back to work tonight.

We've been off since June the 17th, but we've been receiving full pay through our company and the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).

Over the next few months they will slowly expand the spacers with saline solution. After they expand her breasts to full size they will surgically swap out the spacers for permanent implants.

Before the pathology report was in, they were wanting to give my wife four mild, minor doses of chemo after the permanent implant surgery. We're hoping because the pathology report was so good they will drop those, as well.

Everyone is in great spirits, and our 10 and 8 year old sons have been big helpers and seem to truly understand what we've just been through.

Our daughter could tell something was wrong in my wifes face after the surgeries, and would ask in a concerned tone, "Momma sick? Momma sick?"

The spacer implant surgery was much harder on my wife than the initial double-mastectomy (d-m), though.

I really don't understand why they couldn't have done the d-m and the spacer implants all at the same time. It seems like it would have saved a lot of pain and time healing if they had.

Again, I sincerely thank you all for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers, and ask that you continue to do so.

Wow. This is great news!

We'll keep the prayers coming your way. :)

My thoughts will be with you everyday as you and your family go through this and I sincerely hope all the best for your wife and your entire family. I'm sorry this is the first I have read of this and I am happy to have read that things have looked up for being what it is. I have past experiences myself and I won't get into it but If you have a Pay Pal account and could use a little help with some money I for one am not wealthy but would like to at least help even if it means just helping to buy a meal for your family and it will give others a chance to donate as well if you would like. You could post it here or just send me the info privately. Would just like to offer the help if you could use it. Good Luck!

glad to hear things are going as well as they are, despite the struggle and everything that comes with it.

sounds like you have a strong family. Amen. Keep the faith