It's garden season.. anyone else?

JoeRhyno

Just wondering if anyone else out there has or plans on having a vegetable garden? I started a tiny one last year but it turned out pretty well for our small family.

Garden09.jpg

I started it late, so this weekend I'm gonna start getting it ready for planting. It really helped with all the tomatoes, though it seemed like we had pasta 2x a week, lol.

Just wondering if anyone else does this and if so have any pointers/tips...

@smilepunch@

Feel free to start the bashing, lol... but hey, I'm a stay-at-home dad, so cut me some slack, I also do the dishes and laundry and all the cleaning, lol... which reminds me, I need to vacuum...

Joe--

Anything that gets a body outside and into the fresh, real air and sunlight is a smart thing to do. Its healthy, both mentally and physically, and it helps ground a person in ways that our increasing artificial life-styles cannot match.

Kudos to you.

And I love garden grown tomatoes--nothing beats the taste.

My wife and I are putting up a fence around our yard this year, and trying to see if we can afford a deck as well. The missus has talked about flower boxes and I personally want some fresh herbs and such for cooking.

Try to plant some herbs. I love fresh herbs, but don't go overboard, it's funny how far they go. I'm usually not an outdoors kinda guy, but it did feel good going out there and working on the garden last year. I had a pretty good year with my knees/feet.. so maybe that's why, lol... I hope this years just as good, cause I remember one week they were bad and I had huge tomatoes I couldn't go out and pick.. :(

I gotta come up with a system for the rabbits though, last year they kept sneaking in and ate through my cheap lil' fence. My lil' Gnomes didn't even scare them away... hmmm...

I gotta come up with a system for the rabbits though, last year they kept sneaking in and ate through my cheap lil' fence. My lil' Gnomes didn't even scare them away... hmmm...

Get a dog.

Or failing that, get some dog crap.

Just a little pile somewhere in the yard, freshened up maybe once a week is all you need. Yea, borrow some poop from your neighbours. @loll@

Rabbits use their sense of smell more than their sight or even their hearing, and once they smell "dog" they usually avoid that yard.

runs outside and craps in the yard...

lol... I've been reading some stuff, there's a couple flowers they hate, and water and pepper sprayed around the garden helps.. I'll try that out before I start following the neighbor's dog around with a baggie.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has or plans on having a vegetable garden? I started a tiny one last year but it turned out pretty well for our small family.

Garden09.jpg

I started it late, so this weekend I'm gonna start getting it ready for planting. It really helped with all the tomatoes, though it seemed like we had pasta 2x a week, lol.

Just wondering if anyone else does this and if so have any pointers/tips...

@smilepunch@

Feel free to start the bashing, lol... but hey, I'm a stay-at-home day, so cut me some slack, I also do the dishes and laundry and all the cleaning, lol... which reminds me, I need to vacuum...

Hey pal, that garden looks great! ;) You have stakes, a fence and some healthy lookin plants. I wish I could grow some stuff in MY backyard. :(

Here in South Texas, I am limited in what I can grow, but I CAN grow some kick-a$$ peppers. @firedevil@

its still snowing here in Canada land lol

I actually started an indoor garden, using LED growing lights, but stupid me over watered my plants and all the vegetable plants I had growing, died. I'll start them over again when im not lazy lo (I have lots of seeds still) but its cool growing plants in a pretty much dark enviroment. They get virtually no sunlight sitting in my basement (drapes are always closed), just the LED lighting, and the occasional hour or two of florescent lighting I turn on when I need to see what im doing.

here's a pic of my setup, I did have some different kinds of grass, and a few snow pea plants, some carrots, and some romain lettuce start, but they all suddenly died within 2 days. some were 2 to 2 weeks old, some were only a week. They all went droopy, mushy, and died, so I obviously drowned them lol oops.

20472_1339039163773_1464979441_3095.jpg

The lights are an old broken set of LED underrglow lights for a car, They were my sisters, but she broke and lost the front light in the snow, so I salvaged the other 3 and used them to start an indoor garden.

LMFO@ mike! You must be one of the few CDNS growing plants indoors that is not BUD LOL & mike you're plants may have died because they needed more room to grow out of those tiny pots! Not just from over watering .... I'm not expert though so who knows... Have you googled on growing in doors?... I'm sure you could find some tips

We have had a garden for last three years and have really enjoyed it. I am looking forward to finally being able to harvets asparagas this year. I planted my patch 2 years ago and it takes about that long before you can harvest. I will keep my fingers crossed it does well.

Another thing we enjoy is pickleing Green Peppers from our garden. The plant itself is accually very atractive. There is nothing better on a grilled Hamburger then a pickled green pepper. Summer can't come fast enough.

If I was back in Ky i would be, but we won't up here in AK. I lived on a family farm, so we had a good size garden. Silver queen and peaches and cream corn, jalapeno, habenero, and green peppers, and tomatoes!

I miss that good food from back home already!

Mike, it might be the type of "pots" you're using, they don't drain, so the soil gets all muddy... ;) That or Darth Vader is doing something while you're not around... anyone else think it's funny, one shelf has VHS, the other Bluray?

I almost have our garden area set... I nearly doubled the size from last year. I bought some seeds and some of the others we're going to just buy baby plants... I can't wait, just wish the weather would warm up, looks like in the next week, it'll finally be a constant warm enough weather to get out and plant something, lol.

• 3 months later...

bump... @smilepunch@

PIC-0343.jpg

harvest2.jpg

I know I haven't been around much, but I got back in from the 100 degree weather, I think I lost a couple pounds out in the garden alone picking and watering it... Anyway, the first pic is from a couple weeks ago and the second one is from today, I never grew zucchini before, and boy was I surprised when I brought in those baseball bats, lol.. Reading up on them it's best to harvest them while they're smaller, but I actually like the taste of the bigger ones... I made a salad and some "pasta" by just skinning them over and over with the peeler, came out pretty good.

I'm making salsa tonight, gotta run out and get a handful of tomatoes though, all mine in the garden right now are still green(all but 3 cherry tomatoes, but that'll make for one small bowl of salsa, lol)...

anyway, thought I'd post an update... :D

Nice veggies you got there! Joe's dad has a great garden growing. I can't wait to have a garden someday in my own house (again, someday... soon!) w/ flowers and herbs and veggies and such... :D

very cool... good for you man. when I get more motivated, I plan on having a veggie garden in the back yard also.

I just revamped my front yard a few months ago. I made a flower garden cuz I am girlie like that hehe... but hey, it looks great. so what!

I think I would mostly plant stuff that is expensive in the grocery store. Stuff like red and yellow bell peppers cost 4 bucks a pound here! So I would love to grow my own.

I made some mean stomach scalding salsa the other night, 5 pints of it, lol.. so I had to freeze some, but my buddies are having a cookout at the end of the month, so I'll bring some with...

My main intention was the same clam, tons of peppers and tomatoes, and lil' things sprinkled in.. but 2 of the pepper plants I bought were labeled wrong and my sis-in-law bought me some banana peppers, so now 1/2 my peppers are banana, DOH!

I ate all my cucumbers the other day and I think I'm going to plant at least 4 cuc plants next year, those are just too awesome, they're my fav veggie... I went a little overboard on zucchini, I read something wrong and thought I had to plant more than one for them to cross pollinate, but then later read you can do it with one plant... so next year, only one zucchini, and more cucs...

My tomatoes are getting there, I have 6 plants, but so far only a handful of cherries are ripe, so hopefully in a week or so the rest will ripen.. then.. MORE SALSA!!!

All but one of my lettuce died, I think it was the heat, not sure.. but the one is doing okay, mainly cause it's shielded by the massive 2ft by 2ft leaves of the zucchini plants, lol.

I'm not sure what's going on with my corn... they're not that tall, but last year I bought all this plastic and laid it down over the dirt to block the weeds, I couldn't afford it this year, so I used crass clippings, so it might be cause there's a little more weeds.. I dunno.. I'll have to lay down some more clippings. I'm hoping, maybe this fall I can buy some of that plastic on clearance, and then do it that way again next year and we can have nice corn.. if not, then I'll just give up on the corn.

Next year we're gonna try to redo the front of the house, where the old flower beds are. They haven't been changed since the 70s.. so it's about time. It was my Dad's house, and he had railroad ties along the house, but most of them are old and rotted.. so I think I'm going to change those into some cheap rock or something.. we'll see how the money is.