Which Cobra Commander is the best

Superpowers1980

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cobra Commander mask is best?

I don't spend time in the Joe forum but I do have a massive collection of Joes 82-89. My favorite commander has been since day one Cobra Commander and the metal plate version is my all-time favorite. As I found on the internet that the hooded is actually the original and many people love that version I always wondered where people lean to the most.

I always liked the face plate, even though both are kinda silly, I think with the right mechanics, that one would be more do-able... the rag would just get sweaty, at leas he could have some futuristic world dominating A/C system in the face plate one, lol

The hood is the version I think of when I think of the Commander. It's his "face" as it were... as he's only really "human" when you can see his eyes. The helmet is one of his weapons, like the blow-dry pistol and (lately) his big snake staffs.

So I like them both, but the hood is the default.

Faceplate all the way, the hooded did not come first btw, don't know who told you that! ;) The first was the chrome domed plate with straight arms.

Draven

The battle-helmet was the first toy (mail-in in '82 and mass release in '83), but he was first introduced in the comics with the hood - so that may be where the confusion came from.

In any case, I think I prefer the helmet over the hood too - they both work. I display a helmeted Commander over the hooded one, so I guess that's the final answer.

Depends,

I like one over the other depending on what version we're talking about.

3-3/4" scale figures - Face Plate

12" scale figures - Hooded

Cartoon - Face Plate

Comics - Hooded

Kinda weird I know.

Faceplate all the way, the hooded did not come first btw, don't know who told you that! ;) The first was the chrome domed plate with straight arms.

Draven

The battle-helmet was the first toy (mail-in in '82 and mass release in '83), but he was first introduced in the comics with the hood - so that may be where the confusion came from.

In any case, I think I prefer the helmet over the hood too - they both work. I display a helmeted Commander over the hooded one, so I guess that's the final answer.

http://www.htmlcomics.com/Book/html.asp?Series_Name=Gi%20Joe&Book_No=001&Page_Number=1&Alpha=G&Lookup=

GI Joe #1, page 12. Hooded. This is listed as June 1982.

The first toy was the helmet and it was released as a mail away in 1982. I would assume it came after the comic.

I like both equally! It's an accessory, like a back-pack, weapon, vehicle or helmet. There's even the option to have CC without either helmet or hood and that's a cool feature as well.

If he's on the battlefield, he needs protection as well, so it's the helmet and faceplate. Off the battlefield, it's the more comfortable hood. He's not like Darth Vader, where the helmet is more of a life support system that aids in his breathing and whatnot. CC is all vanity about his appearance and keeping it hidden, if even only by a red scarf over his mouth, like the vipers. ^_^

Draven

simmilar to the whole Rumble and Frenzy thing with us transformers fans

Draven

http://www.htmlcomics.com/Book/html.asp?Series_Name=Gi%20Joe&Book_No=001&Page_Number=1&Alpha=G&Lookup=

The first toy was the helmet and it was released as a mail away in 1982. I would assume it came after the comic.

I'm glad we agree then, since you just repeated what I wrote. :D

Draven

I'm glad we agree then, since you just repeated what I wrote. :D

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was backing up your statement with facts.

I just remember early in the Marvel comics run, I think it was issue #23, CC was captured by GI Joe and explained to them that his helmet had an explosive device that would detonate if tampered with. Then Duke told him that if CC wouldn't take it off, then he would pull it off right over his ears. I always liked that exchange, and it shows how much more badass the helmet is than the cowl.

Oh, and don't forget wannabe Darth Vader helmet from Armored Cobra Commander. Worst of the three by far.

Wouldn't it be logical to wear a helmet, to protect our head, if we're on the battlefield?

If CC is sitting in his throne, barking out orders to the troops ------ HOOD!

If CC is sitting in the gunners seat of a HISS tank, barking out orders to the driver ------- HELMET with FACEPLATE!

:)

I went with the hood because you only got that verion of Cobra Commander through the mail which made him more unique.That version was shown pretty well in the cartoon.The helmented one was a mail in then was released on a card.

Pretty sure the hooded was eventually released on a card as well.

I went with the hood because you only got that verion of Cobra Commander through the mail which made him more unique.That version was shown pretty well in the cartoon.The helmented one was a mail in then was released on a card.

Pretty sure the hooded was eventually released on a card as well.

Not the mail-in version. Yeah other version of him were released with the hood carded but not that one.

I just remember early in the Marvel comics run, I think it was issue #23, CC was captured by GI Joe and explained to them that his helmet had an explosive device that would detonate if tampered with. Then Duke told him that if CC wouldn't take it off, then he would pull it off right over his ears. I always liked that exchange, and it shows how much more badass the helmet is than the cowl.

Oh, and don't forget wannabe Darth Vader helmet from Armored Cobra Commander. Worst of the three by far.

The funny thing is,you would have thought his head would have exploded that time in the cartoon Zartan rescued him from that swamp prison and he knocked his helmet on that tree branch.

The light blue Cobra issue helmet only rested on the silver "true" helmet, so when he hit the cypress branch it only knocked off kilter.

Issue #24 is wher he told Duke about the shaped plastique.

Back in the day, I only used the hooded version.

I felt it matched the darker blue of the Cobra troops better.

Later in Battle Corps, I switched to the black hooded version.

Even later than that, I used the black mask crew cut Star Brigade head on the black hood body.

Now I only collect 25th style, I use a darker blue battle helmet version, because the choices on hooded is either too light or too dark.

The 1987 Battle Armor Commander has its own use as an armored soldier. It would have been perfct if they did a masked trooper head with the removable armored helmet, like the 25th CP version did.