Moss Men Figures Are Sold Out!

Outsiders

Without naming names, if you're once again ripping Mattel for being a bad company because you didn't get what you wanted then at best you're a hypocrite and at worst you're a whore. You know who you are.

All you guys hate Mattel so much you're up on Matty Collector every third week of the month trying to get you're DCUC or you're MOTUC. Checking your local toy stores daily for the latest product. When you get them Mattel is the best in the world. When you don't Mattel sucks. Sideshow Collectibles used to have preorders that sold out in LESS THAN FIVE MINUTES. That doesn't make them a bad company, it makes their products popular. It also means some people become the odd men out. Life ain't fair and toy collecting is part of life.

If Mattel was such a bad company you'd be telling it to screw with your wallet as opposed to continually complaining about the same problems again and again and again. It's laughable and quite frankly at this point you get what you deserve.

You want to collect these lines? Then suck up the bad and deal with it. But none of you have the balls to stop collecting this stuff until Mattel gets its act together do you? All you care about is getting your toys.

In short, Mattel can't be doing that bad of a job because you're constantly going back for more. Tell me I'm wrong.

While I agree with you at a certain degree, it is also true that even if you actually hate mattel for their handling of the line, you might still genuinely love the figures,and in the case of MOTUC mattel IS the only company putting out the product, so it is only natural that people who really care for these figures are going to be frustrated over the whole situation. It is different for DCUC (at least in my opinion) cause even if they are great figures for the most part, they are not the only available representation of the characters (DC direct is a great alternative if you want to give mattel the F-YOU on dc figures). And people who #@$#@ about it on these forums do it mostly (as far as I can tell)because well, this IS a toy forum, so it is a good place to vent all that frustration, knowing that there might be more people feeling the same way who can simpatize with you,and lets face it, if we are compelled to write in a toy forum is because we enjoy toy collecting a "little too much".

I get it and don't accept it!!

The problem is you don't get it. There is one avenue for these things and that avenue should at least be plentiful and responsive, if not changes have to be made, whether its a toy or a motorcycle. You are devaluing the situation because its a toy....well leave the forums if they have so little value to you

Did you EVER consider that Mattel can go and do a new production run of the figure?

No??

I AM devaluing your situation because it is: inane, embarassing, juvenile, immature, ignorant, pointless and completely unnecessary. I have no problem mocking you for that.

You are enraged and demanding that people BE FIRED, and COMPANIES BE CLOSED DOWN because you could not buy a toy today--a toy that can be offered again as many times as warranted.......and you claim you "get it". guitar.gif

You genuinely cannot see past your own knee-jerk reaction to this, and realize that all is NOT lost and that you WILL get another chance.

knee-jerk reaction? You and the rest who playing it all so cool and making nothing out of toy collecting are nuts!!

First off, like I said if I ran an operation like this at my job, heads would be rolling toy or not in the end its about business and customer retention and Mattel, Toyguru, and Digital River have failed!!! I have every figure I ever wanted from this except last months and this months and even though I enjoy every figure I never once excused Mattel's poor handling of this line. This is a toy website for people with a passion for toy/collectibles....obviously those who are truly passionate annoy you so why bother to even come to the site, let alone the forums where there are shared ideas and concerns? In truth your idea about waiting calmly has worked for me and I never pay more than I want but at the same time it does not excuse the poor handling of this line.

Also we are not hypocrites!!!! We love the product and we love how Mattel has delivered these lines (GB, DCUC, MOTUC) but at the same time Mattel has poor distribution and sometimes shotty work. Liking the toy lines but not liking the headaches doesn't make one a hypocrite. If I said I hate everything about them and then I buy them for myself then I would be a hypocrite.

• Like 3

knee-jerk reaction? You and the rest who playing it all so cool and making nothing out of toy collecting are nuts!!

The guy whose throwing a tantrum and calling for people to be fired, thinks that those calm posters are nuts??

First off, like I said if I ran an operation like this at my job, heads would be rolling toy or not in the end its about business and customer retention and Mattel, Toyguru, and Digital River have failed!!!

Failed???

A company succeeds in selling out of all the items it planned to, it produced a supply that met the demand and you consider that a failure?

Its no surprise why you do not run an operation like that.

C'mon you ran right into that one.

This is a toy website for people with a passion for toy/collectibles....obviously those who are truly passionate annoy you so why bother to even come to the site, let alone the forums where there are shared ideas and concerns?

So passion equates with whining and tantrums? Passion precludes showing fellow collectors there's other ways to see collecting than it being a tiresome and frustrating exercise? You would rather rant and rage?

What about that helps you or the hobby in ANY way? What about demanding that people lose their jobs helps you or anyone here?

In truth your idea about waiting calmly has worked for me and I never pay more than I want but at the same time it does not excuse the poor handling of this line.

Then why does it not work now? Sounds like you never considered the option this time--it just became an occasion to rage helplessly. Sorry, but you've just stated you have the capacity to make an intelligent choice--I'm calling you on NOT making one.

Also we are not hypocrites!!!! We love the product and we love how Mattel has delivered these lines (GB, DCUC, MOTUC) but at the same time Mattel has poor distribution and sometimes shotty work. Liking the toy lines but not liking the headaches doesn't make one a hypocrite. If I said I hate everything about them and then I buy them for myself then I would be a hypocrite.

I'm not calling you out on hypocrisy......I'm calling you out on maturity. As a person working in a creative industry myself, I have seen first hand the zealotry of idiots. I've seen people get so worked up over trivial things like a cartoon or a toy, that they've demanded people be fired from their jobs......or worse. And frankly, I find that disturbing.

Its a toy, a small trivial thing that you and I consume, for a hobby......and you want it to cost someone their livelihood?

Oh, go ahead and say you'd never do anything like that........but I think we both know there's just enough real idiots out there that ARE willing to take that step across the line. THAT is why I say such rants are unnecessary and uncalled for.

They are cheap shots made by people that don't think.....and you always have that capacity in your corner. You had an opportunity to do, and be, better, and you blew it today.

And frankly, I'm here to tell you so.

• Like 3

Arrow wins. Mattel does kinda suck is some ways (DCUC) but I'm not mad at them for making a toy line so hot and valuable.

I do not want to "win" here. I'd rather see everyone win here and not have the angst--but some folks prefer the angst.

Collecting this line is an unpleasant experience.

I sincerely think that something like this does come down to perceptions.

Different people are going to bring equally different perspectives to this sort of thing.

I do think that "unpleasant" need not be so, though.

I collected about half of the Marvel Legends stuff under what could be considered "unpleasant" terms, and yet I don't consider that time to actually BE unpleasant.

I was in a situation where I was paying pretty much double whatever one else was paying for the same figures.....and I did not mind. I had to wait longer for anything to show up in my locale, had to order in stuff at added costs, and generally work that much harder than the next guy to enjoy the same stuff. And, frankly, I did enjoy it.

Its all perception right?

Like anything in life, what you bring into something does tend to affect what you get out of it. I just found that learning some simple lessons about dealing with "difficult" toy collecting spilled over into other parts of my life in a beneficial way. Maybe I'm lucky that way.......

I can see why people would be mad at Mattel on how they handle their distribution of MOTUC. I for one think the figs are awesome but dont own any myself. I have a good amount of the 2002 series however. There have been a few times where I thought about attempting to go for a few select characters but even if I wanted to, it has been nearly impossible to obtain them through matty. I dont think going into a "ragequit" on matty and their workers/ associated companies is a way to express your feelings. Granted this is a toyforum and really its like a glorified toy geek blog, however its better to stay positive and show less harsh and negative feelings. I do feel their frustrations but would think there are other productive ways to alleviate the angst of this toyline.

collecting this line is becoming so frustrating. remember the Gleek epic fail??? I dont remember Hordak selling out this fast.

Not that fast no. But Hordak sold out very, very quick.

Collecting this line is an unpleasant experience.

I sincerely think that something like this does come down to perceptions.

Different people are going to bring equally different perspectives to this sort of thing.

Obviously.

Everyone is going to draw their own line in the sand. Some are clearly satisfied to roll out for this monthly lottery draw. Others are perfectly willing to buy into the Mattel subscription scam. Others are going to look at these impossible terms and they are going to walk away.

I do think that "unpleasant" need not be so, though.

Mattel has certainly done its best to make it so.

I certainly don't qualify as the ardent fan Mattel on which Mattel banks. I'm only a "toe-dipper" as far as MOTU goes. I've always enjoyed the characters and I find the figures appealing. I was there for the debacle that was Mattel's 200x line so when MOTUC was announced, I was ready to jump on board. I found the whole "online exclusive" thing off-putting and I found the almost-thirty dollar price tag outrageous so I held off. After a few offerings though, my resistance wore down and I caved buying a Webstor. Afterwards, I scooped up a couple of others off eBay. I was ready to fully embrace this line.

Then the Battlecat fiasco hit. Now its Moss Man.

These terms under which Mattel puts this line out are absurd. For Mattel, its a dream of a formula, but from the patron's perspective, the demands are beyond frustrating and ridiculous. One figure is released a month and the ENTIRE WORLD has a ten second window by which they can buy it. Unless of course, the patron blindly signs up for these subscription services where he is guaranteed all figures but is committed to buy all figures sight unseen. Mattel loves arm twisting the fans into shelling out for D-list items in order to get the one or two items they might actually want... just look at how they've run the JLU line with its notorious three-pack scam!

Looking back on all the toy lines that have come and gone during my life, the worst handled lines were all put out by Mattel!

1. Masters Of The Universe 200X: Shelves were flooded with ridiculous variations of He-Man and Skeletor like "Fire Armor Skeletor" and "Snow Armore Heman." While these rotted, most unique characters like Evillyn were impossible to find!

2. Infinite Heroes: Ugly cheap sculpts and laughable prices are a few of the problems plaguing this Dead Line Walking!

3. JLU: Where do I begin? The poorly distributed singles? The three-pack scam? Another line on its deathbed.

4. MOTU Classics: If you don't sign up for Mattel' monthly shakedown, you're reduced to a ten second window every month for the CHANCE to buy a figure! Wow!

• Like 1

You could always sell the figures you do not want, MasterJailer--and keep the ones you like. Given the obvious demand, you could tack on a premium and still easily sell the unwanted stuff to make it all worth your while.

You could always sell the figures you do not want, MasterJailer--and keep the ones you like. Given the obvious demand, you could tack on a premium and still easily sell the unwanted stuff to make it all worth your while.

I guess I could... but really... why should I have to?

Do you honestly think the situation is going to change in your favour any time soon? That is to say that these toys will be "easier to get" otherwise?

The ordering system might change for the better( Re: become more efficient or reliable) but the demand versus the supply will not change much at all. It certainly looks like subscriptions are going to be the most practical way to collect the line for the foreseeable future.

Do you honestly think the situation is going to change in your favour any time soon? That is to say that these toys will be "easier to get" otherwise?

The ordering system might change for the better( Re: become more efficient or reliable) but the demand versus the supply will not change much at all. It certainly looks like subscriptions are going to be the most practical way to collect the line for the foreseeable future.

Yup, looks like for those who want to pick and choose will either have to roll the dice or pay a premium.....

I can't believe you support the idea of buying figures you don't want then going through the hassle of trying to sell them? Your running around trying to reason for Mattel which is beyond belief. Dude, Mattel screwed up, people are pissed from here to Timbuktu. All people want to do is log on and buy a freaking action figure which in itself is terrible because many just don't have access to computers during the day. For those who work and have internet access it all comes down to some ridiculous draw. That stupid refresh screen started at 11:45...2 years in and they haven't fixed the problem!!! Also you try to rationalize anyone who is upset....first off no way should you have been able to order an item and have it in your cart only to find out its sold out....what type of cheap website is this....again 2 years in and the same crap!

• Like 3

No. Nor did I imply otherwise.

As I stated before, this is a dream formula for Mattel. They very obviously are content to make a very low number of figures that they can safely sell out of completely at a rather high price point and do so regularly. They have no incentive to change this. It's been working! Their personal nightmare appears to be watching one of their products sit unsold for longer than a day.

As I also stated, everyone has to draw their own line in the sand and decide if climbing these mountains is worth getting a toy. Now I have to go into the action figure business and unload the four lousy figures I was arm-twisted into buying because I wanted ONE specific character and the only way I stood ANY chance of getting it was to buy into this crooked subscription scam? Everyone has to decide this for themselves but as far as I'm concerned, this is asking a bit much. Looking at Mattel's Toy Fair display, the only upcoming offering I was interested in was Whiplash. To get him, I'd have to subscribe and wade through all of these other figures I have no interest in. When these figures would arrive in the mail every month, I'd feel like I was getting a letter from Mattel that read, "SUCKER!"

Forget it. I'm going back to Star Wars. If I want a Darth Vader, I can just go through the novelty of being able to go into a store and buying it off a shelf.

I can't believe you support the idea of buying figures you don't want then going through the hassle of trying to sell them? Your running around trying to reason for Mattel which is beyond belief. Dude, Mattel screwed up, people are pissed from here to Timbuktu.

Actually, from Mattel's perspective, they didn't screw up at all. They sold out of their product. They had a very good day.

I can't believe you support the idea of buying figures you don't want then going through the hassle of trying to sell them? Your running around trying to reason for Mattel which is beyond belief. Dude, Mattel screwed up, people are pissed from here to Timbuktu.

Actually, from Mattel's perspective, they didn't screw up at all. They sold out of their product. They had a very good day.

Well its a poor perspective. Even as a business model it doesn't make sense. People do not believe that business can be inherently evil or twisted for gain but I believe there is a small chance that Mattel actually produced lower than normal quantities in order to scam people into a subscription. I certainly don't want an Optik figure and why should I have to buy him when all I want is a Tytus that month. They know what they are doing between them and the scalpers. This whole MOTU has been a fiasco since day one.

Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE