Where my DCUC Thugs at?

Flounnderr

Hey Everyone,

One thing i was frustrated with in the ML line is the lack of army building thugs. It took a looong time to get a hydra agent and there was a brood/skrull pack from Marvel Select.

With the classics theme as an area of focus on 1940's JSA Heroes, I'd like to see a classic masked burgler thug or at least a Nazi soldier. For some reason toy companies don't use swatstikas on figures but at least they could make a "german" soldier. WWII formed the backbone of the DC Universe and i want some crooks for my JSA to beat up on. There's a modern Joker thug which ended up being too small but that's a bit too specific to batman.

regards

Joshua

For some reason toy companies don't use swatstikas on figures but at least they could make a "german" soldier.

WW2 German military-themed toys are troublesome at best--so most toy companies avoid them. Plan B Special Force still sell their WW2 figures on-line--and you can by them by the case. They are excellent figures and work well with DCUC or ML.

Regarding swastikas; in several jurisdictions, swastikas are considered hate-imagery and are thus illegal. Placing such imagery on toys is problematic enough, and so the emblems/insignia are often just omitted. Fair enough though, because most well-stocked hobby stores will have small-scale water-slide decal sheets for model aircraft kits, which often will have swastikas as part of the sheet. These can be used to decorate figures after the fact.

• Like 1

Hey Everyone,

One thing i was frustrated with in the ML line is the lack of army building thugs. It took a looong time to get a hydra agent and there was a brood/skrull pack from Marvel Select.

With the classics theme as an area of focus on 1940's JSA Heroes, I'd like to see a classic masked burgler thug or at least a Nazi soldier. For some reason toy companies don't use swatstikas on figures but at least they could make a "german" soldier. WWII formed the backbone of the DC Universe and i want some crooks for my JSA to beat up on. There's a modern Joker thug which ended up being too small but that's a bit too specific to batman.

regards

Joshua

"For some reason toy companies don't use swatstikas on figures"

In the words of Joe Biden: "Are you joking? Is this a joke?"

For some reason toy companies don't use swatstikas on figures but at least they could make a "german" soldier.

WW2 German military-themed toys are troublesome at best--so most toy companies avoid them. Plan B Special Force still sell their WW2 figures on-line--and you can by them by the case. They are excellent figures and work well with DCUC or ML.

Regarding swastikas; in several jurisdictions, swastikas are considered hate-imagery and are thus illegal. Placing such imagery on toys is problematic enough, and so the emblems/insignia are often just omitted. Fair enough though, because most well-stocked hobby stores will have small-scale water-slide decal sheets for model aircraft kits, which often will have swastikas as part of the sheet. These can be used to decorate figures after the fact.

I can't believe we're having this conversation. If someone needs an explanation why the swastika shouldn't be used they need to read a history book.

I personally am not in love with the idea of "army builders" or "thugs" (as you call them). I'd hate to see a spot that could be given to a really cool name character taken up with "masked bank robber" or "Brother Blood acolyte" or "H.I.V.E. soldier" etc. Keep giving me rare and underused/underappreciated characters like Kamandi and the Metal Men or make more of the Flash's Rogues Gallery (where's Pied Piper? Trickster? Heat Wave? Professor Zoom?).

As to the swastika issue...we shouldn't be blind to what the image symbolized and was used for. By banning it, we are pretending it doesn't exist which is much worse than being aware of it and acknowledging it. However, there really isn't a need for German soldiers made into toys that (potentially) children might be playing with. We need to educate everyone to make sure that another Shoah doesn't happen, but it would be inappropriate to do so by making toys for our super-hero figures to fight.

I personally am not in love with the idea of "army builders" or "thugs" (as you call them). I'd hate to see a spot that could be given to a really cool name character taken up with "masked bank robber" or "Brother Blood acolyte" or "H.I.V.E. soldier" etc. Keep giving me rare and underused/underappreciated characters like Kamandi and the Metal Men or make more of the Flash's Rogues Gallery (where's Pied Piper? Trickster? Heat Wave? Professor Zoom?).

As to the swastika issue...we shouldn't be blind to what the image symbolized and was used for. By banning it, we are pretending it doesn't exist which is much worse than being aware of it and acknowledging it. However, there really isn't a need for German soldiers made into toys that (potentially) children might be playing with. We need to educate everyone to make sure that another Shoah doesn't happen, but it would be inappropriate to do so by making toys for our super-hero figures to fight.

Well personally, I think it would be great to have a classic bank robber for the JSA, especially considering how many classic covers the motif was used in. Just look at the very first three scenes in the opening to Watchmen where comedian nabs the classic stereotype crook.

I agree above regarding Nazi's and how we shouldn't pretend that it never happened. But Nazism is one of the greatest sources for Evil overall, especially in Comics. What's Sgt. Rock w/o Nazi's, Captain Marvel Jr., Captain America for that matter. You need that to show how great the heroes really are. Didn't Hellboy have a Nazi character made into a toy?

As for Kids playing with Nazi's? What's wrong with that? War comics has been a genre since the 1940's and has remained steadily popular till the 1980's when it was changed to a fictionalized derivative, Gi Joe vs Cobra.

BTW I checked out the Plan B figures, I only saw 3 types but they have ugly paint decos.

regards

Joshua

The same thing with the Indiana Jones figures

I got a 12 inch German Soldier from that line it looks weird without the SS logo but think about it ......

It would offend Jews big time and how about Toy collectors who are jewish they won't buy the item and the toy companies will lose money.

Hey Everyone,

regards

Joshua

"For some reason toy companies don't use swatstikas on figures"

In the words of Joe Biden: "Are you joking? Is this a joke?"

No, I'm not joking. THe swatstika will forever be linked to evil which seems awefully appropriate for villians. Its in comics and kids read those, so why not action figures.

ALso, If you want to make comic diorama's what makes more sense? Batman being attacked by every single Bat-villian possible or Batman attacked by 1 or 2 villiams and a couple of their thugs. Gee, I see the latter being much better for a diorama (but, maybe i'm partial to that because i collect loose figures.) In DCIH, they made lex thugs, and Gotham swat figures.

regards

Joshua

The same thing with the Indiana Jones figures

I got a 12 inch German Soldier from that line it looks weird without the SS logo but think about it ......

It would offend Jews big time and how about Toy collectors who are jewish they won't buy the item and the toy companies will lose money.

I agree German Soldiers look awefully stupid without the SS Logo. Lucas and Spielberg make a movie series featuring Nazis as villians and all the children of the 80's go see them, but the toys are edited? That's pretty lame.

I don't think it would offend jews, I think it's pretty justified especially under the context of villain. Maybe the toy company will lose money maybe not. Hasn't Hasbro released Nazi's in their 12" figure line?

regards

Joshua

There will be a live action Captain America movie- I'm sure there will be figures from it...do you think they'll make any german soldier figures for that?

How about Red Skull - what symbols or lack there of will that figure have?

As I said I have a 12" german from the line

The Jews would be furious. You see there was this thing called the holocaust....

I'm asking for Nazi Soldiers for my JSA/ Captain America diorama's. I don't know what diorama's you want to make about the holocaust. I think that's kinda sick.

regards

Joshua

There will be a live action Captain America movie- I'm sure there will be figures from it...do you think they'll make any german soldier figures for that?

THey'll probably either avoid it all together and focus on the later part of the movie in current time or lame out and make some "german" soldiers ala Indiana Jones.

Seriously, Who's capt. America gonna fight in your dioramas?

regards

Joshua

I really don't think using Nazi symbols on toys will fly today and I personally would not want to see them. For a movie and/or large adult collector line it is ok but not for a mass produced line. With that said I do want some thugs, its a shame the MM's henchmen were so small and out of scale. I think a standard thug or two would be awesome the problem is that they aren't very marketable, Mattel is not about risks at all.

THey'll probably either avoid it all together and focus on the later part of the movie in current time or lame out and make some "german" soldiers ala Indiana Jones.

Seriously, Who's capt. America gonna fight in your dioramas?

regards

Joshua

If you go the 3 3/4" route you can find the Indy german figures and of couse the 3 3/4 " CA is in stores

I'm Jewish and I'm more offended when toys and such have "nazis" without swastikas than I would be if they were portrayed in a historically accurate manner. Did we all collectively forget that Hitler stole the symbol from another culture? I say we don't let him keep it. It's terrible that nazis get to keep their stolen symbol. I say we take it back.

-Larry "I'm Takin' It Back" Koopa

They should make a DCUC GCPD Officer and Thug 2 pack with variations on the heads.

As mentioned before, Plan B toys made Military, Police and Fire, and they might have made some bad-guy figures in scale for DCUC and ML figures.

I have a SWAT figure that works just fine, and I know there were sets out there with alternate heads and gear.

The thing to remember about Plan B Special Forces, is that they started out as a brand under the Resaurus name, and when Resaurus went out of business, some of the folks there took the Special Forces brand with them and set up shop ( Plan B) to continue the line. I gather that Ebay is probably one of the more viable places to find these figures and sets, but there might be some e-tailers with some of these in stock. They are all good product, with good detail and accessories. The later series from Plan B had more articulation than the Resaurus figures, and also featured swappable heads.

I really do recommend these toys for the options they give a 12th scale collector because despite the brevity of the brand they did cover quite a bit of ground regardless.