Sign in to follow this  
Superpowers1980

Who is your favorite Green Lantern and why?

I just wanted to know who people think is the greatest Green Lantern. Who is your personal favorite and why, from the main ones, to the little odd guys...hell someone may like MOGO the planet.

My favorite is Hal Jordan, he was the one I grew up with. He to me is an odd character its hard to pinpoint his beginning and end for me but overall I just love him.

John Stewart really grew on me because of the cartoon, but in the books he doesn't do much.

Also who would win in a face to face fight Alan Scott or Hal Jordan

Hal Jordan.

Hal has the most fully realized personality, the richest history, the most significant accomplishments, and has appeared in the very BEST Green Lantern stories. Few things make me as dismissive of someone's opinion as when they say, "Hal's boring." This tells me either that person has never read a good Hal Jordan story or they are simple-minded and need more "glitz" in order to be entertained. They're bored by Hal but the find Guy Gardner to be a rich character! Even worse is when some readers claim Hal to be boring but they site Kyle Raynor as more interesting. Kyle was DC's Green Lantern for over ten years and his most notable accomplishment was to sleep with Jade and Donna Troy... No. Not at the same time.

Some thoughts on other Green Lanterns...

Guy Gardner: I don't dislike Guy. He has his purpose. He is however a one-note character best left in a supporting role.

John Stewart: Let's face it. Today's John Stewart is NOT the original John Stewart. John was originally comics' voice for the black power movement of the late sixties. Once that particular movement became less fashionable, John's purpose for being evaporated and he was relegated to limbo for almost twenty years. He's an ill-defined character who's usually squeezed into whatever role the writer needs. He's a former marine now??? Okay...

Kyle Raynor: The empty suit of the Green Lantern Corps. Kyle will forever be associated with the lazy writer's easy out trend of post 1986 comics. If you don't know how to write interesting stories about a character, dump that character and stick a new one in the role. As offended as I was by DC's childishly treatment of Hal Jordan, I actually gave Kyle Raynor a chance and for my open mind, I was rewarded with one BORING story after another. Kyle dates Donna Troy. Kyle searches for his father. Kyle dates Jade. Kyle hangs out with the Flash. Kyle fights a guy with FIRE powers! Fire powers! In this day and age... fire powers!

As to who would win in a fight between Alan Scott and Hal Jordan, both are very capable ring-weilders but Hal would ultimately defeat Alan. Not only is Hal younger and more imaginative, but while Alan was fighting low-tech foes like the Sportsmaster and the Huntress, Hal was fighting Doctor Polaris, Sinestro, Goldface, the Shark, Manhunters and many more.

For me it is as well Hal Jordan like you said Super Powers I grew up with him. Even with his cartoon counterpart I have always picture him with a deep voice like his Superfriends verison.

I think my next favorite would be Kyle. It was cause of him I had started to read Green Lantern again when he came to town. Infact I use to subscribed to Green Lantern when Hal when bazzerk.

John is ok as for Guy I could never stand that guy. I which Hal would of kill him when Hal when bazzerk. He is one person that shouldn't have been a Lantern.

I only know John from the cartoon, never read a comic with him in it until after he showed up on the toon.

I didn't like Guy when he I was first introduced. I like the character now, they toned him down a bit and he sort of knows his place, he can't beat Hal and accepts it..I too hoped Hal would of killed him, I thought he was when he was Parallax, Hal tore him up and then I think he broke the yellow ring or something.

I hate the goody Lantern's, especially Chip and that dog one who was on the JL. I do like the robot and that rock guy too.

Also, the Green Lantern books annoy me when they talk about "earth men"....earthmen saved the universe more times and should be more renowned, that kind of talk in comics is very old.

I was a kid when the total justice line came out so kyle rayner and the first lantern issue i picked up was kyle vs. parallelax then john stewart, hal jordan, and the rest grew on me through tv and comics (Kilowog & Katma Tui in Justice League Guy Gardner in the brave and the bold and blackest night)

I didn't start reading GL till Kyle Raynor was introduced at this point Hal was evil and just destroyed the GL corp.

The one thing that sticks out of my mind in the first few issues was when he found his girlfriend dead in the fridge.

I will have to say Kyle nothing against the rest I love them all even the hot headed Guy Gardner.Its only becaue I started reading GL when he first came along

I forget his name right now but he looks like he has a fish head that was Hal's friend before he kill him. He was also one of my favorite GL. As well.

Tough call. I grew up with Hal as the prominent GL, but also am old enough to have enjoyed Alan. In fact, I think I knew Alan's origin before I knew Hal's. But If I had to make a choice, I've always prefered Hal. Maybe because Alan is from my parents' era, but Hal is the one who made it into SuperFriends and such. More exposure, I guess.

Hal Jordan

Basically because of everything MasterJailer mentioned and he was the lantern I grew up with. My first encounter with DC was a superfriends episode where(if memory serves) aliens attack earth by pulling it out of orbit and the Justice league scramble to defend. Superman(demonstrating how ridiculously powerful he is) pushes the earth into orbit again; but then this guy creates a giant green sword from his ring and starts to destroy alien ships, how cool is that?? That forever was impressed in my mind and to this day Hal Jordan is my favorite Justice league member, my favorite Green Lantern and just about the only thing I like from DC. Kyle is my second favorite, because he's the dreamer, the idealist, the Luke Skywalker, but I admit better things could be done with his character.

B'zzd

Because he's a bug Green Lantern! :D

Vath Sarn

Because he's a bad ass Green Lantern. :D

Sorry I picked two technically, but if you're reading the comics you'll know who the decision defaults to. Don't want to spoil it for anybody.

Hal hands down!! I do like Kyle and John too but not anywhere near as much. I hate Guy!

Draven

Hal Jordan because of his team-ups with Barry(Flash) Allen.

A very close second is Alan Scott...I just love those Golden-Age Characters!

Alan Scott because he was the first and because it's pratically the John Wayne of superheroes,Hal Jordan for his history and his attitude and Kyle Rayner because he became a great Lantern without help from any Guardians of other Lanterns.

I think everyone likes Hal, Kyle, and John, but besides them, I would have to say one of my favorites is Katma Tui. I really think they could have done ALOT better with her DCUC figure though. Hair should have been a little longer, and skin not so purple. When I heard she was going to be a DCUC figure, I was very excited about it, but then I saw the sculpt and was not as excited.

Hal Jordan

He is by far my favorite Green Lantern. He is the most heroic, accomplished and he seems to be the only one that can actually beat Sinestro on a regular basis. He also figured out a way to overcome the weakness to yellow that the rings have. Plus the Guardians seems to be afraid of him .... no question he's the man.

I agree with Master Jailer; why would anybody find Hal Jordan boring. The guy is a test pilot, ladies man and the "best" of an intergalactic police force. Boring? Give me a break.

If I had to pick a second choice it would be a close call between Alan Scott and John Stewart. Alan is a classic, but John has a lot of potential.

IMO Guy Gardner is a jerk that represents the worst in humanity. As for Kyle Raynor .... he can't get past John or Alan in my list. He's ok, but nothing special.

Sinestro. He's the only one with the cajones to start his own corps!

wink.gif

are you sure about that?

wink.gif

are you sure about that?

The only Green Lantern?

wink.gif

are you sure about that?

The only Green Lantern?

i was just messin with ya!

wink.gif

are you sure about that?

The only Green Lantern?

i was just messin with ya!

Bah! ;)

Btw, DCUC Kilowog is the best Green Lantern figure.

I like Kyle Raynor. Yes, he came along in a time where the trend was to do something drastic to shake up the main character (kill him off, break his back, clone him, replace him all together...)some of those WERE an example of lazy writing. Not with Kyle, IMO. I think the overall story of rookie-hero-coming-in-to-fill-the-roll-of-fallen-icon was handled pretty well. You got to see a character start as a complete rookie and evolve into his own hero. You get to see him (in Morrison's JLA) try to fit in with heroes who have been doing this kind of thing forever. Having an artist as a GL makes perfect sense. I think a lot of people were so POed at the world at the time because Hal Jordan went away for a while, they missed a good character in good stories.

Hal Jordan: I like Hal, I read the current GL comic regularly. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that MOST of the time any pro-Hal comments are rooted in people's nostalgia for the Super Friends cartoon, which good, not great. (This is even MORE true for Barry Allen, who's most defining moment, until recently, was his death. But hey, we remember him from the Super Friends cartoon so he MUST be the one true Flash!.....but that's a different story). I think his most defining stories are just NOW beign told, after how many years? Yes, I HAVE read the classic O'Niel/Adams stuff, I like it. But is there anything else? But like I say, I like the current series and I like Joeff Johns' work. And if you like Super Friends, DC is well on their way to bringing them all back to life.

John Stewart, this guy said it best:

John Stewart: Let's face it. Today's John Stewart is NOT the original John Stewart. John was originally comics' voice for the black power movement of the late sixties. Once that particular movement became less fashionable, John's purpose for being evaporated and he was relegated to limbo for almost twenty years. He's an ill-defined character who's usually squeezed into whatever role the writer needs. He's a former marine now??? Okay...

DC would not touch the original John Stewart with a 10 foot pole. Here are a couple John Stewart quotes from the original O'Niel stories (again, which I like a lot): "This black man lets it all hang out", "Hey, baby, haven't I seen you picking cotton someplace", "Hey...I've been dark all my life, and I'm surviving". Can you imagine the uproar if they printed that today? This character does not exist anymore.

Guy Gardner: filled the roll of second bannana very well in JLI. Otherwise...

Anyway, there's my 2 cents on the GLs.