Movie Kilowog

jahue

I was just thinking about the Green Lantern Movie. This movie is going to be unlike any other comic book movie to date imo because it takes place in space with mostly alien characters. One such character is Kilowog. I was wondering how do you guys want to see him? Does he need to be cg or an actor in makeup? How big should he be? Do you have anyone in mind on who should play him? I think this movie is going to be good, but I think there is a great challenge in trying to bring this movie to life. After all the main villain is a pink guy. So what are your thoughts?

This movie is going to be unlike any other comic book movie to date imo because it takes place in space with mostly alien characters.

Unfortunately you're probably right about this. Judging by the way Green Lantern was treated in the recent animated Green Lantern: First Flight dvd, I would guess that this film will commit the same mistakes. Hollywood is not known for its restraint in serving up eye candy.

One such character is Kilowog. I was wondering how do you guys want to see him?

If he absolutely has to be included, it should be as an easter egg cameo and definitely CGI.

I think this movie is going to be good...

I'm very skeptical.

...After all the main villain is a pink guy.

If you mean Sinestro, according to the latest rumors... and I don't know if this has been verified or not... the villain of this piece will be Hector Hammond (a smart move giving me SOME hope!) with Sinestro being established as the villain for the sequel ( a not-so-smart move dashing those hopes!)

Well according to Geoff Johns, who visited the set recently, "Mark Strong IS Sinestro and Kilowog,the Guardians and OA all look amazing" that's what he said so apparently they're taking the movie in the right direction.

yeah I thought both Kilowog and Sinestro were confirmed. Although Sinestro won't be the main antagonist. Anyhow I like the suggestion for Michael Clarke Duncan if they were going to have an actor. I also like the combo idea maybe they could use the technology that they used with Norton in Hulk and what they did with Avatar cg based on the human actors.

I'll repeat they can do better by using makeup and an outfit. Kilowog doesn't have to be huge, he wasn't that big in the animated movie. I still think they did a wonderful job with Mr Hyde from LOEG. You can force any additional height, all of this without losing any cheap looks with CGI.

I'm gonna be very pissed off if the best villain they can muster from GL's awesome rogues' gallery is Hector Hammond. It's what disappointed me with the first Iron Man movie and the upcoming one. Sinestro would be a great villain for the first movie. And I hope they keep Kilowog as a minor appearance at best. I want the movie to focus on Hal Jordan as GL, not have it diluted with a million other GLs.

I'm gonna be very pissed off if the best villain they can muster from GL's awesome rogues' gallery is Hector Hammond. It's what disappointed me with the first Iron Man movie and the upcoming one. Sinestro would be a great villain for the first movie. And I hope they keep Kilowog as a minor appearance at best. I want the movie to focus on Hal Jordan as GL, not have it diluted with a million other GLs.

Xorr, old man, you're pretty extreme and I think you might have a couple of years on me, but I think you and I are largely on the same page when it comes to our tastes in comics. Here's why I'm not optimistic about this Green Lantern movie...

Contemporary screen writers and even more so, contemporary comic book writers lack every whiff of restraint and subtlety. Once upon a time a Green Lantern movie meant that GL was going to fight diamond smugglers, bank robbers, or the mob. While that would've been disappointing, CGI gives producers access to every toy in the GL mythology and they lack the self-control to resist playing with every one of them. Those of us who read the early Hal Jordan stories will remember that the Green Lantern origin actually unfolded VERY SLOWLY! Hal was recruited by Abin Sur in Showcase #22. Abin gave him the ring, the power battery, and described the Corp very briefly before dying. He didn't even mention the Guardians of the Universe. Hal had a number of adventures early on where he was fairly ignorant of his ring's nature. He'd receive mysterious messages through his ring but he wouldn't learn who the Guardians were until the seventh issue of his own title! He didn't meet his first alien Corp member... aside from Abin... until he met Tomar Re in his sixth issue. This gradual unfolding was very important to Hal's story. He wasn't trained by Kilowog or Sinestro in some clumsy parallel for Army Basic Training. Hal learned the ropes himself on the wild frontier that was the backwater planet of Earth and by the time he became the greatest Green Lantern of all fighting cosmic scale menaces, he'd already established himself as a hero on Earth!

We can't trust current writers to exercise this degree of patience. I look at the horrible pacing of that recent animated Green Lantern movie and I fear even more so for this movie because I'm sure this travesty is going to be a loose template of some sort. In Green Lantern: First Flight, Abin Sure scoops up Hal Jordan, gives him the ring, dies, Jordan is visited by no less than SEVEN Green Lanterns and is transported to Oa all literally within the first five minutes of the film! Gone is the elegant mystery of the original telling of the origin. It is true that at this point everyone is fairly versed in Green Lantern lore so no matter what a certain amount of suspense would never be regained, but as Hal obnoxiously quips one-liners while he's rushed through his origin, the awe of his ring, the Corps, and the Guardians was also lost. None of it seemed special in the least. It was as if the writers said, "Ah, everyone knows this story. Let's just get him to Oa!"

Another reason for my skepticism is I'm sure the upcoming movie will be contaminated with all of the awful, clumsy revisions to the Green Lantern mythos and origin of the last twenty years! Initially, Hal had never met Kilowog until the eighties! Now because Kilowog is popular, Kilowog has been refitted as Hal's "drill instructor!" So much for Hal as a self made man! Sinestro fares even worse! Originally, Sinestro wasn't introduced until Hal's seventh issue and by then, Sinestro was already a renegade and a criminal that the Corp had dealt with before. Unfortunately, that's not good enough for today's writers. A good guy can't fight a bad guy simply because he's a bad guy anymore. Nowadays the good guy has to have a personal, vengeful stake in taking down the villain. The villain has to have killed the hero's father, he has to be the hero's former partner-turned-evil, or he has the be the hero's mentor or protege gone bad... and really! Hasn't this concept just been beaten to death by Star Wars? How man corrupted teacher-student relationships were in those lousy prequels? Now contemporary writers... included the vastly over-rated Geoff Johns, who never met an unsavory idea he didn't love (Blackhand? Molests corpses! Hector Hammond? a perverted voyeur who gets off on other peoples sexual memories!)... have completely embraced the cliche that Sinestro was Hal's mentor gone bad. Do we really need this? The entire first hour of Green Lantern: First Flight unfolded awkwardly like a childish version of the movie Training Day trying to make this tired, unnecessary concept work. It didn't.

As for Hector Hammond, he might not be my favorite Green Lantern villain nor the most visually exciting, by I do have to give the producers credit here. Perhaps they are trying to establish Green Lantern as a hero on Earth before taking him on more cosmic adventures. This was another mistake of the animated film. After those first five minutes, Hal never again returns to Earth for the rest of the film. I also have to point out that Hammond's classic look as a guy with a giant head was not his original look. He slowly transformed into that over the course of his first few appearances. On some points, I will understand and accept a certain amount of accelerated pacing from the upcoming movie. After all, this isn't a monthly comic book. We only have two hours to play with.

I do hope that we will be spared the influence of Emerald Dawn and Johns' recent Secret Origins. I have no interest in seeing a second of screen time wasted on Hal Jordan's unresolved issues with his father, his mother, his drinking problem, or his troubled air force career. Remember what I said in the Superman-Captain Marvel thread? You just can't have a plain old good guy anymore. He has to have a glaring personality flaw. Hal Jordan can't "just" be a man born without fear. He has to be a reckless ass!