The Flash live-action TV show

DSmith

So I went to Best Buy today and was shocked to see "The Flash: The Complete Series" on the shelf, and on sale! A HUGE promotional discount, regular price $48.99, promo price $14.99! So of course I bought it. The cashier guy actually got really excited about the dvd when he saw it, and said he's been trying to convince people that the show existed, so many people don't believe him. I couldn't forget the show, it was thrilling viewing when I was a kid.

A few surprises:

1. That this series was only one season, 22 episodes. I was so young when it originally aired, it felt like it was on longer, at least a few seasons. But so short.

2. That it aired 20 years ago! The show aired in the 1990-91 season. I can't believe it was so far back, and that makes me feel seriously old now.

I'm gonna crack it open tonight and at least watch the pilot.

Anyone else love the show? Hate it? What do you guys remember about it?

I met John Wesley Shipp at a NY comic con a few years ago. He was really nice, but I got the impression he wasn't the brightest bulb on the tree, if you know what I mean! I got him to sign my DVD set (which I paid full price for! If only I'd waited...).

I bought for $15, last year, at a FYE. My kids loved it.

I watched it when it originally aired, and after watching an episode my brother and I would go outside and race each other down the street.

Once, we got a big ole metal water basin, rubber water boots, and a gallon of gasoline. We'd step in the basin, douse the lower part of our boots, step out a couple feet, light them on fire, and run trying to leave fiery footprints. It didn't work as well as we'd hoped, though.

The Flash was my favorite super-hero growing up. So I was very much looking foward to the show when it came out.

Unfortunely I never saw a single episode in its first run. I was deployed to the Gulf for Desert Shield / Storm. By the time I returned to the states, it had been cancelled!!!

But my parents taped all the shows on VHS for me, so I got to see it when I came home!

The Flash was my favorite super-hero growing up. So I was very much looking foward to the show when it came out.

Unfortunely I never saw a single episode in its first run. I was deployed to the Gulf for Desert Shield / Storm. By the time I returned to the states, it had been cancelled!!!

But my parents taped all the shows on VHS for me, so I got to see it when I came home!

AWESOME, you have some good parents!

I never watched the show much as a kid, a few episodes here and there but i have always heard good things about the show

I remember that show I think I had seen all of them and I think there was two of them I have on vhs as well. I think both of them had Mark Hamill in it. I also I to go back to Best Buy to see if they have it to get it.

One scene that sticks out to me after all these years I don't remember the episode but Barry was walking his dog the dog stopped in front of a movie theater and barked.The movie posters up were from the 1989 Batman movie and the 1978 Superman movie basically the S sheild and the Bat logo.Barry was like "No you get alot of that at home"

The show was amazing! I was one that was hook on it as a youngster too! I remember being excited for it like no other live action show before it! I have it on DVD! I bought it the week it came out years ago! :)

Draven

I was just on youtube watching a scene from an episode with Captain Cold

I forgot about the theme music it was by Danny Elfman who did the Batman theme.The Flashes version as you will hear on this video is more like the Batman animated theme

i watched it on youtube since i was born around the time it was made lol, so being a new born baby i wouldn't give a #$## about the flash, but he's my current favorite superhero, if its seriously $14-15 at best buy .......i am SO getting it, wish people knew moar about how AWESOME this show was, its style and characters, i mean captain cold, CAPTAIN COLD!!!!

I remember this my ex was pregnant with our daughter, it was an amazing show with high cost whicI is why it got canceled.

I loved that series, never missed an epsiode. I remember really loving the episode where he gets cloned and the clone wears a blue and silver outfit with an angel flying with a lightning bolt in his hand as a symbol.Man that brings back memories.

I remember this my ex was pregnant with our daughter, it was an amazing show with high cost whicI is why it got canceled.

And having it compete against the Cosby show and the Simpsons!

AHHH! The Cosby show, now that was a great show. Thank God For re-runs!

So I went to Best Buy today and was shocked to see "The Flash: The Complete Series" on the shelf, and on sale! A HUGE promotional discount, regular price $48.99, promo price $14.99! So of course I bought it. The cashier guy actually got really excited about the dvd when he saw it, and said he's been trying to convince people that the show existed, so many people don't believe him. I couldn't forget the show, it was thrilling viewing when I was a kid.

A few surprises:

1. That this series was only one season, 22 episodes. I was so young when it originally aired, it felt like it was on longer, at least a few seasons. But so short.

2. That it aired 20 years ago! The show aired in the 1990-91 season. I can't believe it was so far back, and that makes me feel seriously old now.

I'm gonna crack it open tonight and at least watch the pilot.

Anyone else love the show? Hate it? What do you guys remember about it?

I loved this show when I was in high school. Awesome intro theme by Danny Elfman as well.

I bought the box set about a year or two ago when Borders was having a 50% off sale.

I snagged this set a while back at Shopko for like 12.99....I couldn't believe it when I did. I had always wanted to pick it up but the 50 dollar price tag was just too much at the time. It really was a great show for the times.....

I know comic fans and kids these days are spoiled.....but I remember when this, the Batman movies and the Superman movies were all us geeks had when it came to live-action stuff. I remember begging my Mom to stay up and watch it......she usually let me. I was around 10 when the show was on......

Even though there were fake muscles in that suit, I thought it looked realistic and the suit was very well done. Out of all the superheroes you wouldn't think they would try to make him as big as they did. But he still looked awesome! I wish other live action superheroes looked that big in costumes.

...for 15 bucks I'd buy it, absolutely.

I couldn't do it... not even for fifteen bucks. If the complete series were given to me for free, I'd have a hard time justifying the time wasted watching it... and this is from a guy who can STILL get sucked into watching Superman III and IV!!!

It really was an ill-conceived wasted opportunity. The Flash should've been a natural for television especially when we're talking about the TV limitations of the time which means 1990 special effects. He has a power that is relatively easy to translate on screen. He has an easily digestable origin that doesn't require much padding or many holes to fill. His villains are largely guys without powers who have one technologically based gimmick like freeze guns, mirrors and boomerangs! Unfortunately, the show became a stew of bad ideas and it could never decide if it wanted to play it straight or become a campy super-hero parody. Worst of all, the success of the '89 Batman film infected this show like a virus. Central City became uncharacteristically dark and gothic. The Flash jumped on the molded suit bandwagon started by Michael Keaton and ended up looking like an inflated stuffed sponge! The Flash is the one guy who could probably get away with a skintight formfitting spandex costume but unfortunately, the producers looked at the Keaton bat-suit and said, "No! Let's do it like that!"