Who is stronger Superman or Captain Marvel

Superpowers1980

I am partial to Captain Marvel, I use to watch the Shazam show when I was a kid. Today I when I play DC versus Mortal Kombat I play Captain Marvel, but I am going to look at this from a fighters point of view. I have been heavy fighting for 15 years. Today I feel the result of many years of abuse to my body. To me fighting is about experience. Superman has fought the strongest and smartest villains in the past years. Captain Marvel has not fought the level of villains that Superman has come up against. Superman knows that Captain Marvel has magic. Superman has to outwit Captain Marvel and use his magic against him. On the other hand Captain Marvel knows his only was to beat Superman is to use his magical abilities. My vote is for the Man of Steel due to his experience of having to fight opponents stronger than him. I don't believe Captain Marvel has been tested the way Superman has in the past.

Chopz

Cjflan32 wrote:

First, let's start out with a question. It's Thor vs. Superman. When Supes slams that hammer out of Thor's hand and he reverts into Don Blake or whatever human he's bound to this week and Superman picks that hammer up, who's gonna win then?

There's a big problem with your argument. Specifically, they did away with that silly 60-second rule ages ago. Like in the late 70's or early 80's. So Thor remains Thor. Superman cannot lift Thor's hammer despite DC claiming so. Thor can lift the Midgard serpent, which is bigger than the earth, so he can summon power at Superman's level. Plus, if he goes into his warrior's madness, his strength is increased tenfold. Superman ain't standing up to Thor to begin with, but when Thor has 10 times his usual strength, Superman is a colorful smudge on the ground. God forbid Thor is wearing his belt that doubles his strength when he goes into his rage, because then his strength is 20 times normal.

Mjolnir is a magical weapon, and Superman has no defense against that. One good swat from Mjolnir and Superman is hurting. Plus, Thor can channel his godly essence through Mjolnir, and has used that power to punch a hole in a Celestial. He has also used the power of his hammer to hurt and drive off Galactus himself. Anything magically powerful enough to do that to cosmic powers like Galactus and a Celestial would incinerate Superman. Thor can also open doors to other dimensions or areas in space using Mjolnir. Open a gate to an area near a red sun, Superman gets sucked in (or chases Thor there) and wham-o! Superman is imploded in space.

Mjolnir can also create magical vortexes that can act as impenetrable forcefields or freeze time. The hammer can also generate anti-matter particles.

In Dark Knight, Superman is shown being hurt by a direct hit by a bolt of lightning. Thor can summon lightning, plus he can emit magically enhanced, super powerful lightning out of Mjolnir. Again, Superman becomes a colorful BBQ smudge. Superman was also shown being killed (in Dark Knight if I'm not mistaken) by a hydrogen bomb. Thor, in an early issue in the 60's, had a cobalt bomb (a nuke encased in radioactive cobalt) attached to his chest to help the army test is, and he was at ground zero (hell, he was ground zero!) and it didn't so much a mess up his hair, much less hurt him.

Superman has no defense against magical energy, and Mjolnir is the strongest source of magical power in the Marvel universe. Plus, Thor has thousands of years of combat skill, compared to Superman's meager 50 years or so. No contest.

Secondly, we get it. You like Thor. Bringing up your favorite character in every post doesn't make him the greatest fictional character of all time.

No need to get upset. I mentioned it twice, what's the big deal?

Finally, I refer you back to the Flash vs. Superman topic where your "Superman is so overpowered" argument got shredded.

My argument never got "shredded", I just haven't gotten around to answering it. First, DC will only allow DC characters to beat Superman, not Marvel characters. Second, Doomsday was just another uber-god piece of nonsense that modern writers think is cool, but is just overdone garbage. DC has always coddled its "Super"man. Ironic that their toughest character always needs protection. It's insane. He needs to be the strongest, the fastest, the smartest, the most skilled combatant (how the hell did he learn Kryptonian karate without another Kryptonian to teach him?). It's just overkill. DC has always been sloppy, careless, and ridiculous with their characters. And look how weakly defined they are. Compare the Marvel Universe Handbook to the DC Who's Who. The Marvel handbook tells you exactly how many pounds or tons each character can lift. DC's handbooks say "super strength" for everything from being able to lift 500 lbs to being able to lift a planet. It's because their history is a mess of sloppy writers and they've never properly defined the characters outside of making them overly powerful, then not knowing what to do with them.

Ok, some general comments. I think there are a lot of misunderstandings going on in the argument, and El Kabong did a good job of explaining some of them. I agree with him. The Hercules referred to in the Capt. Marvel history is Hercules the Greek/Roman god. Totally different from the Hercules of Marvel comics or the future Hercules of DC Comics. In mythology, Hercules once held up the entire heavens for Atlas. We can assume that the entire heavens was more than just a planet. So Hercules, being a god able to hold up the entire heavens, would be far beyond Superman's powers. And that's the same strength that Capt. Marvel has.

Also, keep in mind that Capt. Marvel does not need to be under a yellow sun for his powers to work, unlike Superman who is dependent on a yellow sun. He can grab Superman, fly through a red sun and watch Superman burn to a crisp. Or fly outside the range of a yellow sun and Superman implodes in space. People seem to forget just how dependent Superman is on a yellow sun. In theory, he should get weaker the further he gets from the yellow sun, and at some point just become a normal human and die in space.

Also, Billy Batson is a boy, yes, but Capt. Marvel has the wisdom of Solomon. Having great wisdom means you can use that wisdom. It's what wisdom is. A definition from Wiki:

Wisdom is a deep understanding of people, things, events or situations, empowering the ability to choose or act to consistently produce the optimum results with a minimum of time and energy.

Solomon is considered the wisest man of all time. Surely moreso than Superman. So Capt. Marvel would outsmart him. We're talking about Superman fighting Capt. Marvel, who has the wisdom of Solomon, not Billy batson the child.

He'd also be stronger than Superman, given mythology. He also has better wisdom and has no weaknesses such as kryptonite or red sun radiation, nor is he dependent on a yellow sun to give him super powers. Overall, Capt. Marvel wins in every way. Sure, Superman has cold breath and heat vision that Capt. Marvel doesn't, but so what? It can't hurt him. He's invulnerable.

So yeah, I just gotta give the fight to Capt. Marvel over Superman, just as I have to give the fight to Thor over Superman. Likewise with the Silver Surfer over Superman. I admit to being biased, as anyone is towards their favorite character(s), but I think I can also be objective enough to look at it realistically.

Yeah, no way modern Superman could have beaten Thor! @loll@ Agree with everything Xorr said, I mean the guy is magic and stronger, single handedly beat the hell out of Thanos. But DC couldn't let their flagship character lose to him - they already had to "tie" their Batman to Captain America... Again, look at Kingdom Come, if Captain Marvel wasn't brainwashed he would've "Sentry'ed" his blue ass.

So the real question should be "Who would win, Captain Marvel or Thor?"

And again, the writer wins. @smilepunch@

Ok, Ok, first off I am so sick of Marvel fans and their nonsense:

1. For years Marvel fans have claimed that DC characters are too powerful, yet in EVERY FREAKING DISCUSSION, they want to talk about how crappy Superman is because of his power level, yet they claim Thor and Hulk are sooooooo much stronger. All of you guys really need to get over that sappy envious bandwagon, Marvel conceeded multiple times that Hulk and Thor are not as strong as Superman. Neither Hulk or Thor has ever displayed Superman level strength in their comics, and your jealousy won't change truth.

2. Secondly, I hate how people hate on Superman. Its all VERY IRONIC. First they claim Superman is wayyy too powerful, yet in the same breath, these hypocrites will claim that Thor and Hulk are stronger???? This is what bothers me, you know what-someone has to be the best. At a time Michael Jordan was the best NBA player, you could claim Scotty Pipper was good but he wasn't better and that is it. No matter what Pippens skill level was, he was not Michael Jordan and people can't say, oh he is better than Jordan, HE WASN'T. In life their always is a someone who it top dog and Superman for the most part is it, and why hate on it just because he isn't your favorite or part of your favorite comic company. In Marvel people like Thor and Hulk and the strongest but you never, EVER, hear DC fans complaining that they are too powerful. Marvel has amped up their characters to the max. Wolverine can go whip on everyone and Marvel fans love it and accept it. Hulk can now hold his breath long enough to travel through one dimension to another and Marvel fans can accept it. Spiderman can fight the Juggernaut and survive and Marvel fans will accept it. They can't accept anything in DC though...no not ever. Get over it, no matter how much you love Thor, Hulk, they aren't Superman level power, hell neither is Silver Surfer. Superman can handle cosmic power, he has handled worse!

3. how did we even get sidetracked, stop hijacking topics!!!

• Like 2

Ok, some general comments. I think there are a lot of misunderstandings going on in the argument, and El Kabong did a good job of explaining some of them. I agree with him. The Hercules referred to in the Capt. Marvel history is Hercules the Greek/Roman god. Totally different from the Hercules of Marvel comics or the future Hercules of DC Comics. In mythology, Hercules once held up the entire heavens for Atlas. We can assume that the entire heavens was more than just a planet. So Hercules, being a god able to hold up the entire heavens, would be far beyond Superman's powers. And that's the same strength that Capt. Marvel has.

Also, keep in mind that Capt. Marvel does not need to be under a yellow sun for his powers to work, unlike Superman who is dependent on a yellow sun. He can grab Superman, fly through a red sun and watch Superman burn to a crisp. Or fly outside the range of a yellow sun and Superman implodes in space. People seem to forget just how dependent Superman is on a yellow sun. In theory, he should get weaker the further he gets from the yellow sun, and at some point just become a normal human and die in space.

Also, Billy Batson is a boy, yes, but Capt. Marvel has the wisdom of Solomon. Having great wisdom means you can use that wisdom. It's what wisdom is. A definition from Wiki:

Wisdom is a deep understanding of people, things, events or situations, empowering the ability to choose or act to consistently produce the optimum results with a minimum of time and energy.

Solomon is considered the wisest man of all time. Surely moreso than Superman. So Capt. Marvel would outsmart him. We're talking about Superman fighting Capt. Marvel, who has the wisdom of Solomon, not Billy batson the child.

He'd also be stronger than Superman, given mythology. He also has better wisdom and has no weaknesses such as kryptonite or red sun radiation, nor is he dependent on a yellow sun to give him super powers. Overall, Capt. Marvel wins in every way. Sure, Superman has cold breath and heat vision that Capt. Marvel doesn't, but so what? It can't hurt him. He's invulnerable.

So yeah, I just gotta give the fight to Capt. Marvel over Superman, just as I have to give the fight to Thor over Superman. Likewise with the Silver Surfer over Superman. I admit to being biased, as anyone is towards their favorite character(s), but I think I can also be objective enough to look at it realistically.

Your logic is flawed. Superman absorbs yellow sunlight, it powers he and sort of activates his ability to use it. He can still use his powers without contact to yellow sunlight, its red sunlight that turns off his ability to use it, it doesn't depower him. Superman retains all his power but he can't use them under redsunlight. either way with or without he is retains his power as long as he isn't under red sunlight.

Also again you seem to forget Superman fights magical beings all the time and he has won. You all have such flawed understanding of his powers. Superman is particularly vulnerable to magic, but that does not mean that magic will trump him all the time, or that he has no defense. Superman can and has beaten characters of mythology...Hercules, Atlas and others. They did a fantastic one shot with him and Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman needed help from Superman and they went into a magical realm. Superman had no access to sunlight yet retained his powers and he fought nothing but magical creatures, they fought for I think was hundreds of years, so long that he forgot what Lois looked like, yet he still loved her and he and Diana managed to resist each other. In the end, after they won the war, they returned to the present time through the help of magic but in truth they spent hundreds of years in the magical realm fighting. Superman physically beat the snot out of those magical beings and he can beat the snot out of Thor.

As for Captain Marvel, in JLU Superman fought and got his butt handed to him. That is the debate to truly understand who is stronger. Superman has over the course of time fought and displayed a greater threshold of strength over Captain Marvel. Maybe its something in Marvel's magic that gives him the edge when Superman has lost. Oh and Thor doesn't have that "edge" when fighting Superman.

• Like 1

1. For years Marvel fans have claimed that DC characters are too powerful, yet in EVERY FREAKING DISCUSSION, they want to talk about how crappy Superman is because of his power level, yet they claim Thor and Hulk are sooooooo much stronger. All of you guys really need to get over that sappy envious bandwagon, Marvel conceeded multiple times that Hulk and Thor are not as strong as Superman. Neither Hulk or Thor has ever displayed Superman level strength in their comics, and your jealousy won't change truth.

2. Secondly, I hate how people hate on Superman. Its all VERY IRONIC. First they claim Superman is wayyy too powerful, yet in the same breath, these hypocrites will claim that Thor and Hulk are stronger???? This is what bothers me, you know what-someone has to be the best. At a time Michael Jordan was the best NBA player, you could claim Scotty Pipper was good but he wasn't better and that is it. No matter what Pippens skill level was, he was not Michael Jordan and people can't say, oh he is better than Jordan, HE WASN'T. In life their always is a someone who it top dog and Superman for the most part is it, and why hate on it just because he isn't your favorite or part of your favorite comic company. In Marvel people like Thor and Hulk and the strongest but you never, EVER, hear DC fans complaining that they are too powerful. Marvel has amped up their characters to the max. Wolverine can go whip on everyone and Marvel fans love it and accept it. Hulk can now hold his breath long enough to travel through one dimension to another and Marvel fans can accept it. Spiderman can fight the Juggernaut and survive and Marvel fans will accept it. They can't accept anything in DC though...no not ever. Get over it, no matter how much you love Thor, Hulk, they aren't Superman level power, hell neither is Silver Surfer. Superman can handle cosmic power, he has handled worse!

3. how did we even get sidetracked, stop hijacking topics!!!

I wonder if anybody ever read DC vs Marvel

Superman defeated the Hulk in the Grand Canyon I once seen Thors hammer hit Supes in the chest and it bounced off of him.

Wizard interviewed DC and Marvel writer numerous times for "last one standing" kind of articles and always they said Thor and Hulk win. Away from their companies they disagree with you... ;)

Anyway, Marvel characters were "brought in and hijacked the thread" b/c people were comparing Captain Marvel's power to that of Thor's, Hercules, and so on...

But again, I'll say the one who will win is whoever the creators of that book want to win! haha

(PS: Pre-Crisis Superman was too strong and DC said it!)

Superman defeated the Hulk in the Grand Canyon I once seen Thors hammer hit Supes in the chest and it bounced off of him.

Again, they had to "tie" Batman with Captain America - DC simply could not let their other main character lose.

But again, I'll say the one who will win is whoever the creators of that book want to win! haha

Something that always gets lost in these kinds of "debates",eh?

How does one qualify a fictional character, when the capabilities of said character can be arbitrarily written up or down at a whim, and ANY contrived reason can be used to establish a "winner"?

One might as well throw a dice and say " See?? THAT proves it!".

Yuh, right.

does one qualify a fictional character, when the capabilities of said character can be arbitrarily written up or down at a whim, and ANY contrived reason can be used to establish a "winner"?

PICARD IS A BETTER CAPTAIN THAN KIRK!!! hahaha

Again, they had to "tie" Batman with Captain America - DC simply could not let their other main character lose.

You guys keep going to the comic companies as reasons......and yes they are a factor, but as we know, these characters are firmly established with all their super feats. If you look at Batman and Captain America then it does stand to reason that both characters would tie, or that its possible for one to beat the other. They each are the best of their worlds. When it comes to characters like Superman and Thor and you have them at an even slugfest then as the battle progressed, Superman would be less likely to hold back and would 'ko Thor. Don't get me wrong, I think if situations were right, Thor would put a massive beating on ol' blue but in overall sheer power in strength, Superman is the winner.

Back to Captain Marvel............can marvel survive 100 thousand nuclear blast....I believe that is what Superman survived the second time he fought Doomsday, while he laying on the ground he was a little out of it but when he was coming to likened it to a warm day in the sun.

but in overall sheer power in strength, Superman is the winner.

Back to Captain Marvel............can marvel survive 100 thousand nuclear blast....I believe that is what Superman survived the second time he fought Doomsday, while he laying on the ground he was a little out of it but when he was coming to likened it to a warm day in the sun.

Well, no one listened to Arrow, "How does one qualify a fictional character, when the capabilities of said character can be arbitrarily written up or down at a whim, and ANY contrived reason can be used to establish a 'winner'?"

Okay, lets go with "super feats." You didn't read what Xorr wrote, "Thor can lift the Midgard Serpent, which is bigger than the Earth, so he can summon power at Superman's level. Plus, when he goes into his warrior's madness, his strength is increased tenfold. Superman ain't standing up to Thor to begin with, but when Thor has 10 times his usual strength, Superman is a colorful smudge on the ground. God forbid Thor is wearing his belt that doubles his strength when he goes into his rage, because then his strength is 20 times normal." So based on feats, Thor is stronger than modern Superman.

And as to nuclear bombs, "Thor, in an early issue in the 60's, had a cobalt bomb (a nuke encased in radioactive cobalt) (note bombs in the 60s were at the 100 megaton level) attached to his chest to help the army test is, and he was at ground zero (hell, he was ground zero!) and it didn't so much a mess up his hair, much less hurt him." And again, so based on feats, Thor is tougher than modern Superman.

So.... While "being lame," Captain Marvel is stronger and tougher! hahaha

You guys keep going to the comic companies as reasons......and yes they are a factor, but as we know, these characters are firmly established with all their super feats.

LOL, no they are not! @loll@

They are all over the place as far as "what they can do" being consistent. Captain America, has gone from being a very athletic guy, to someone that can make a standing jump to about 30 feet high, or busting through brick walls just on strength alone.

YES, HE'S DONE THAT! Read the comics--go back to as far back as the 60's and 70's @smilepunch@

Superman has gone from being able to just leap tall buildings and hold back locomotives, to moving planets in their orbits. If he can do that latter, why the hell does he need to strain AT ALL to do the former.

I mean.........ALL of that is "firmly established" in the comics.

So, claiming so..........what do you pick, because it changes all the time, and at the whims of whoever is telling the story.

They are constantly debunking their own stories.

These character lurch all over the map in ability based on the stories that are need to be told.

Here's an example: they claim that certain supremely strong characters can lift 100 tons. They call them "Class 100"--and that is the threshold they measure by.

They show a Class 100 character like the Hulk lifting a jet liner--but did you know that most jet liners weight in EXCESS of 150 tons. Then they show them lifting aircraft carriers, or mountains. LOL! @loll@

So what is it?? Because a mountain weighs a LOT more than a aircraft carrier or even a jet liner.

Oh, wait...........in their Handbooks and Universe guides, they slyly dodge that BS by saying "that story was apocryphal"--that it didn't happen. How convenient, eh? :blink: @pow@

So what is established? What can you point to and say "this holds true", and "this does not hold true"--because the creators themselves all change it all on a whim.

What it comes down to......what it ALWAYS comes down to.......LOL........is who do you like the best.

That's who is the strongest, the fastest, the smartest, the best. @smilepunch@

• Like 1

Well, no one listened to Arrow, "How does one qualify a fictional character, when the capabilities of said character can be arbitrarily written up or down at a whim, and ANY contrived reason can be used to establish a 'winner'?"

My own never-ending battle is to strive to rationally reason with those that are irrational and unreasonable. @loll@

• Like 1

Here's an example: they claim that certain supremely strong characters can lift 100 tons. They call them "Class 100"--and that is the threshold they measure by.

They show a Class 100 character like the Hulk lifting a jet liner--but did you know that most jet liners weight in EXCESS of 150 tons. Then they show them lifting aircraft carriers, or mountains. LOL! @loll@

So what is it?? Because a mountain weighs a LOT more than a aircraft carrier or even a jet liner.

Oh, wait...........in their Handbooks and Universe guides, they slyly dodge that BS by saying "that story was apocryphal"--that it didn't happen. How convenient, eh? :blink: @pow@

That is not the definition of Class 100. Class 100, according to Marvel, is the standard for characters that can lift in excess of 100 tons, not characters that can lift 100 tons. For example, Galactus, who has immeasurable physical strength, is classified as Class 100.

Pretty sure those cross over fights were determined by fans.

Pretty sure those cross over fights were determined by fans.

Not all of them, when Superman knocked out Thor and stood there and didn't move while Hulk kept punching him in the chest, it all done by writers