Who is stronger Superman or Captain Marvel

Superpowers1980

This has been a long standing debate but let's have fun discussing it again. Who is stronger Superman or Captain Marvel. We know that traditionally Captain Marvel was stated to be stronger but to me it never made sense. Superman has shown that just because a person is magical, it doesn't mean that he isn't stronger and/or can't best them. Captain Marvel has never displayed Superman level strength really, except that when he is fighting either Superman or Black Adam. JLU finally made Superman whip his butt but JLU isn't really the standard. I say Superman is probably stronger and more powerful, but it is just something that in Marvel's magic that gives him the edge....like its in his name, "World's Mightiest Mortal". Superman has beat many mythological characters plus his gave Thor a massive beat down in the JLA/Avengers crossover (a punch thrown while sitting down no less) so what do the fans really think?

tn_supe-vs-captmarvel.jpg

Also if your too cool to have a friendly debate, then please don't comment. Some people get all snooty, its just a fun/serious debate on a TOY WEBSITE!!!

• Like 1

In a fight it would be more then strenth that would come into play

We may see Kal El use his heat vision I don't think Billy Batson has the power.Plus if you remember Shazam is still a kid and thinks more like a kid.If you ever seen the JLU episode where They both fight ...Superman uses Billy's powers against him.What I mean if Billy turns back Supes can grab him before he yells shazam

Plus Superman allways holds back his punches.Like he said in the JLU finale "I feel like I have been living a cardboard world trying not to break "then he goes all out on Darkseid so to me it would be Superman

Captain Marvel all the way! He's the world's mightiest mortal. Superman is mortal. So he can't be stronger. But really, I just like the idea of Capt. Marvel being stronger.;) I've always hated how overpowered they made Superman. And Thor would beat Superman any day. I ignore the stupid modern comics like the JLA/Avengers crossover where Superman punches out Thor. Just garbage in my eyes and I refuse to acknowledge it.

Captain Marvel all the way! He's the world's mightiest mortal. Superman is mortal. So he can't be stronger. But really, I just like the idea of Capt. Marvel being stronger.;) I've always hated how overpowered they made Superman. And Thor would beat Superman any day. I ignore the stupid modern comics like the JLA/Avengers crossover where Superman punches out Thor. Just garbage in my eyes and I refuse to acknowledge it.

First, let's start out with a question. It's Thor vs. Superman. When Supes slams that hammer out of Thor's hand and he reverts into Don Blake or whatever human he's bound to this week and Superman picks that hammer up, who's gonna win then?

Secondly, we get it. You like Thor. Bringing up your favorite character in every post doesn't make him the greatest fictional character of all time.

Finally, I refer you back to the Flash vs. Superman topic where your "Superman is so overpowered" argument got shredded.

We may see Kal El use his heat vision I don't think Billy Batson has the power.Plus if you remember Shazam is still a kid and thinks more like a kid.

Captain Marvel is said to have the wisdom of Solomon, and powers granted from other gods or powerful beings.

We may see Kal El use his heat vision I don't think Billy Batson has the power.Plus if you remember Shazam is still a kid and thinks more like a kid.

Captain Marvel is said to have the wisdom of Solomon, and powers granted from other gods or powerful beings.

Having wisdom and knowing what to do with it are two different things.

How do you figure that?

Having wisdom means you KNOW what to do--that is why its considered wisdom.

How do you figure that?

Having wisdom means you KNOW what to do--that is why its considered wisdom.

Because real wisdom would say "Superman's gonna kick my ass back to Fawcett City." If he knew how to use it he'd run away.

Seriously though at the end of the day he's got the mentality of a kid and in case you forgot kids can be real stupid.

What kind of wisdom allows you to fight a superpowered boy scout? Unless you want to see who is stronger which is like a kid would want to do

Because real wisdom would say "Superman's gonna kick my ass back to Fawcett City." If he knew how to use it he'd run away.

That is when the courage of Achilles kicks in and gives him the backbone to meet the challenge. Then the power of Zeus, the stamina of Atlas, the strength Hercules lets him put paid to Superman. And if he uses a bit of the speed of Mercury, he can still make class in the morning too.

This has been a long standing debate but let's have fun discussing it again. Who is stronger Superman or Captain Marvel. We know that traditionally Captain Marvel was stated to be stronger but to me it never made sense. Superman has shown that just because a person is magical, it doesn't mean that he isn't stronger and/or can't best them. Captain Marvel has never displayed Superman level strength really, except that when he is fighting either Superman or Black Adam. JLU finally made Superman whip his butt but JLU isn't really the standard. I say Superman is probably stronger and more powerful, but it is just something that in Marvel's magic that gives him the edge....like its in his name, "World's Mightiest Mortal". Superman has beat many mythological characters plus his gave Thor a massive beat down in the JLA/Avengers crossover (a punch thrown while sitting down no less) so what do the fans really think?

capthunder.jpg

Also if your too cool to have a friendly debate, then please don't comment. Some people get all snooty, its just a fun/serious debate on a TOY WEBSITE!!!

Actually, the character that is supposedly Captain Marevl in that comic image you posted is NOT the Big Red Cheese. He's called Captain Thunder, and his alter ego is Willy Fawcett.

Read it for yourself: http://www.htmlcomics.com/Book/html.asp?Series_Name=Superman&Book_No=276&Page_Number=6&Alpha=S&Lookup= @smilepunch@

Ha, round 1 goes to Cap.

Doesn't the fact that everyone keeps saying, Billy's a kid, Supes'll outsmart him mean they're agreeing that Cap is stronger? Cap's powers are derived from magic, which Supes is vulnerable to. Clark would have to rely on his wits, otherwise he doesn't stand a chance.

That has always been the problem with CM, no matter how wise Solomon is, he can't seem to use it. The is really the problem with ALL the writers of CM, they don't know how to use his powers correctly. Also he uses the strength of Hercules, Wonder Woman beat Hercules in the comics and Superman is stronger and/or powerful than she is.

So let's drop the wisdom argument because the initial question is, "who is stronger?" not wiser or smarter. Second, Superman's weakness to magic isn't a factor here. It has been shown repeatedly that a direct magical attack can hurt Superman, as in the magical lightning that Marvel used to barrage Superman in the finale of Kingdom Come. It has never to my knowledge been shown that a being comprised of magical abilities can hurt Superman simply because they're made of magic. It's a matter of direct vs indirect attack.

So, to answer this question let's ask another (in a bit of Aristotelian logic) question; is Captain Marvel stronger than Doomsday? We can all agree that Doomsday is, or at least was at one point, stronger or as strong as Superman. Superman died at the hands of Doomsday because Doomsday quite literally beat Superman into the ground, using his strength to pound the life out of him. Could Captain Marvel withstand the barrage Superman did, but end up alive? And don't use the lightning blast thing. We know that Doomsday is of Kryptonian origin and therefore susceptible to magic. Again, we're talking strength here.

I'd also like to offer up another little bit to ponder. Captain Marvel is the "world's mightiest mortal", which indicates he can in fact die. He is mortal, which encapsulates quite a bit. Let's presume for a moment that Superman, in a life or death struggle with Marvel (b/c one or the other is possessed by an evil force and made to act out of character) punches Marvel so hard he actually makes it into orbit around the earth. Since Marvel is a mortal by definition, can he breath in space, or even withstand the rigors of re-entry? This would sort of put the argument to an end without answering it, but it would end the discussion.

Question for anybody who can shed light, been a long time since i actually red comics so here goes nothing. Shazam has the strength of Hercules, isnt Hercules a Marvel guy and didn't he and Thor fight and if they did who won? Now if Thor happened to win but Sups beat Thor then wouldn't Sups beat Shazam since he has the strength of Herc and Thor beat Herc? If it was draw then Sups would still win Being that again he beat Thor! If Thor won then I guess you could measure how difficult it was that fight was. I do understand the magic thing but these are points that maybe somebody can shed some light on.

Is this a question of "Who is stronger...?" or "Who would win in a fight...?" Because in a fight, I would have to think Captain Marvel would win. He was well on his way to defeating Superman in Kingdom Come, and was able to overcome Superman's power when he pulled him down (mid-flight) and destroyed the atomic bomb.

In a fight, I think Superman's vulnerability to magic causes him to lose. But I think in sheer ability to lift things, Superman wins.

Question for anybody who can shed light, been a long time since i actually red comics so here goes nothing. Shazam has the strength of Hercules, isnt Hercules a Marvel guy and didn't he and Thor fight and if they did who won? Now if Thor happened to win but Sups beat Thor then wouldn't Sups beat Shazam since he has the strength of Herc and Thor beat Herc? If it was draw then Sups would still win Being that again he beat Thor! If Thor won then I guess you could measure how difficult it was that fight was. I do understand the magic thing but these are points that maybe somebody can shed some light on.

Yes Captain Marvel has the strength of Hercules/Heracles, but he isn't relegated to the Marvel Universe. Both DC and Marvel use the various Greco-Roman and Norse gods in their storytelling. So, Superman beating Thor in the JLA/Avengers cross-over and Thor having once beat Hercules doesn't mean Superman could beat Captain Marvel. Because writers from both companies tend to illustrate characters with various levels of power it isn't easy to make this conclusion. Plus I think there is great contention as to whether Superman could actually defeat Thor. There are many Marvel fans who think Superman got lucky.

In the traditional, meaning non-comic myths surrounding Hercules, he was killed by being burned on a pyre of oak by his friends. He had been mistakenly poisoned by his wife Deianira, and asked to be burned because it was less painful. In Homer's Iliad, Odysseus sees Heracles in Hades, although there is much consternation as to whether or not the passage is original to the epic;

And next I caught a glimpse of powerful Heracles—

His ghost I mean: the man himself delights

in the grand feasts of the deathless gods on high...

Around him cries of the dead rang out like cries of birds

scattering left and right in horror as on he came like night...

If you want to read the entire passage, it is found in the Odyssey episode XI or the Nekuia. This passage indicates that the "ghost" of Heracles resides in Hades but the "man himself" lives on Olympus. This is probably as result of conflicting depictions of the character and trying to appease both sides.

The Roman myths, where he is called Hercules, are more definitive when calling him a god, in that the burning of his mortal body upon the pyre allowed him to become a god and live with the other Olympian gods. However the Romans adopted these stories from the Greeks and altered the tales to suit their needs. The point of all this is, if you take the original Greek myths, and place that character into the Marvel universe then Thor beating a mortal man is no big deal. It doesn't prove that Superman is stronger than Captain Marvel.

Yes Captain Marvel has the strength of Hercules/Heracles, but he isn't relegated to the Marvel Universe. Both DC and Marvel use the various Greco-Roman and Norse gods in their storytelling. So, Superman beating Thor in the JLA/Avengers cross-over and Thor having once beat Hercules doesn't mean Superman could beat Captain Marvel. Because writers from both companies tend to illustrate characters with various levels of power it isn't easy to make this conclusion. Plus I think there is great contention as to whether Superman could actually defeat Thor. There are many Marvel fans who think Superman got lucky.

In the traditional, meaning non-comic myths surrounding Hercules, he was killed by being burned on a pyre of oak by his friends. He had been mistakenly poisoned by his wife Deianira, and asked to be burned because it was less painful. In Homer's Iliad, Odysseus sees Heracles in Hades, although there is much consternation as to whether or not the passage is original to the epic;

And next I caught a glimpse of powerful Heracles—

His ghost I mean: the man himself delights

in the grand feasts of the deathless gods on high...

Around him cries of the dead rang out like cries of birds

scattering left and right in horror as on he came like night...

If you want to read the entire passage, it is found in the Odyssey episode XI or the Nekuia. This passage indicates that the "ghost" of Heracles resides in Hades but the "man himself" lives on Olympus. This is probably as result of conflicting depictions of the character and trying to appease both sides.

The Roman myths, where he is called Hercules, are more definitive when calling him a god, in that the burning of his mortal body upon the pyre allowed him to become a god and live with the other Olympian gods. However the Romans adopted these stories from the Greeks and altered the tales to suit their needs. The point of all this is, if you take the original Greek myths, and place that character into the Marvel universe then Thor beating a mortal man is no big deal. It doesn't prove that Superman is stronger than Captain Marvel.

Thanks for the insight! I guess we will never know the answer.