Ds9 Talk

revsears

I just finished rewatching the first season and the first 3 episodes of the 2nd season. I still love this show more than any other Trek. there is no camp, the uniforms look more realistic (why does the future need to be in rainbow?) The religious and political situations are great. It also feels like a ragtag group of people, O'Brien was no Geordi or scotty, was a B class guy. Sisko didn't even want to stay in the fleet. Julian was a noob, etc.

Quark even manages to fit in, because he is by no means a do Gooder. Voyager failed imo, and one of the reasons was Neelix was a poor character, especially in comparison to Quark.

The whole series felt new, not like a retread.

I was just wondering who else was a big fan, where you rank it etc and why?

I think the series started out awkward, and then came into its own over the last few years. I think it slipped off the track a bit after they killed off Jadzia and brought in Ezri. The Klingon and Dominion Wars arcs were epic stuff. Its being re-run on our Space channel up here, and I'm catching it most days. Solid viewing, just a great show.

Big DS9 fan here! I have every season on DVD. I also have the DS9 Companion book which I would recommend to any fan. Gives behind the scenes info on every episode made. I read it cover to cover (What a dork!)

Great characters-nine regulars and at least as many supporting charaters-that evolve over the course of the show. Gul Dukat is just a highly underrated ST villian....

Great Star Trek!

I think the series started out awkward, and then came into its own over the last few years. I think it slipped off the track a bit after they killed off Jadzia and brought in Ezri. The Klingon and Dominion Wars arcs were epic stuff. Its being re-run on our Space channel up here, and I'm catching it most days. Solid viewing, just a great show.

I didn't like the Dax change either, but didn't the actress leave them? Seems she did the same thing with Becker too (not for sure) if it's true she bailed out on two different shows, I hope she doesn't start working on any future i'll enjoy.

She had decided to leave the show half way through the 6th season. Don't know why she didn't just stick it out for one more year.

I have no problem with Ezri but there was so much going on in season 7 already, and now they had to introduce a new regular charactor (who was only going to be around for one year before the end). Oh well, still a great show.

Funny I have been watching TNG the last few days .They showed the episodes with Spock

I bring that up because my favorite all time DS9 episode was Trial and Tribblations where they went back in time and mingled with TOS.

I thought at the end the Dominion war sucked It didn't really show any battles and stated things had happened instead of showing it.I was more into Babylon 5 at that point in time and that show seemed better to me then the last 2 seasons of DS9

I also thought the Mirror Universe episodes except for the first one were overkill.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't recall all of the mirror universe ones sadly. I've already encountered a few episodes in the 2nd season that are new to me, so I'm sure i'll continue to see a few each season. I remember first run through not really liking the mirror universe episodes, so i'll admit that may be a weak point.

When Ezri Dax showed up did they know it was the last season? I remember feeling so sorry for Worf as he saw a new Dax move onto the station. Such tragedy and complex emotions.

Yeah I wish they had not killed off Jadzia but I'm happy with how things worked out all in all I guess ... It really was a great series!

& I do so love to show this off when ever I get the chance :D

IMG_1330.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite Trek series as well. I was a big fan of Avery Brooks coming off of "A man called Hawk" and loved seeing him join the Trek universe. (Interestingly, I found out back in '08 that he was born in the same town I was. No wonder I have an affinity for his work, :D )

You're right, the campiness was left to a bare minimum, just the kinds of humor that would normally happen everyday.

Definitely the best of the Trek series. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Voyager is much better in my mind >.<@smilepunch@

Now the spam bots post baiting comments :(

I never understood the appeal of that one, it was an odd retread of TNG with mostly poor copy characters.

After the lame way DS9 ended I gave up on the Trek shows.I tried to give Enterprise a try but for a show that took place 100 before Kirk it was more advanced then Kirk's era

Lame? It had an ending, unlike TNG, or the original. It made the whole series a compact unit.

As far as Sisko's leaving, I think that was always their way of leaving a door open just in case they needed for a movie. I think it would have been a nice crossover TNG movie but still yet, it was a good end, TIme didn't matter for that event.

I didn't like how it ended

there should of been more battles and less preaching about the rules of the Federation

Babylon 5 was on at the time and was doing better then DSP and it had better stories

I loved ds9, it's 2nd only to TNG in my eyes. TNG had great writing, a great all around cast and they seemed to listen to the fans when they wrote off Wesley crusher. DS9 had great stories that always left me wanting to tune in next week to see what was going to happen, but when it geared up for a really big climax, it would fall a little short. I agree with what most of you have said. I love that when they jumped the shark, it was by bringing In Worf. The show was IMO was a great concept that i believe they should have incorporated into the TNG movies better if not at least it's own movie.

Nah, they didn't jump the shark when they brought in Worf (Man, I hate that saying). Yes it was done to bring in viewers, but that doesn't mean it was a BAD move. Worf fit in on DS9. He has the potential to be a bit of a loose cannon and not play by the rules...a better fit than if they had put someone like Data or Troi on the show. They also did not go and make every episode about him **cough*7of9*cough** Plus, he's cool so what's there to compain about!

I can't see how it needed MORE battles and less Federation preaching. Especially compared to TNG where Picard contemplates the Prime Directive every day and they maybe pull out a phaser once or twice for a season finale. But to each his own. Not bashing TNG by any means...I love that show too!

I didn't like how it ended

there should of been more battles and less preaching about the rules of the Federation

Ds9 had the least preaching of the rules of the federation of any of the other series, BY FAR. Heck a large chunk of the cast were not federation.

as far as not showing every battle, 1. Budget, 2. Trek has rarely ever been about the battles. 3. They did show some stuff.

TNG only wins by nostalgia imo. IF you go back and watch the first 2 seasons, they are both pretty bad. It took awhile to find it's zone and DS9 didn't. It felt like it grow naturally, not maneuvered to try and find a sweet spot.

But that it what Star Trek really is--a morality tale for modern times. Gene Roddenberry intended that from the start.

Its funny how the Star Trek that deviates from the lofty ideals tends to be the Star Trek the fans love the most.

TNG only wins by nostalgia imo. IF you go back and watch the first 2 seasons, they are both pretty bad

Season one is downright awful. Very stilted and awkward throughout. Its very clear most of the cast did not have concrete ideas of who their characters were. The most consistent characters were the most shallow: Worf and Tasha Yar. Marina Sirtis needed a hair stylist in the WORST way--and thankfully got one in the second season.

Patrick Stewart would alternate between subtle and broad acting. Gates Mcfadden had trouble saying the dialogue several times--I think she was the weakest actor of the entire cast.

Whil Wheaton.............<whew>......poor guy. Nice enough in reality, but his character, Wesley, was an abomination. The "Will Robinson" of Star Trek and just as irritating. Wesley epitomized the classic flaw of using a child character in an adult ensemble--because the child is the most vulnerable, many of the dramatic stories hinge around them. That's fine for Saturday morning kid shows, but not prime time science fiction dramas. I just do not find a precocious teenager on board a spaceship to be appealing.

TNG took off after the mid-2nd season, and held on until about just before its last season.

But that it what Star Trek really is--a morality tale for modern times. Gene Roddenberry intended that from the start.

Its funny how the Star Trek that deviates from the lofty ideals tends to be the Star Trek the fans love the most.

Times changed from what Roddenberry visioned.Plus as you see Star Trek at the point was getting stale and people wanted to see action

Roddenberry's vision was excellent but things change

I agree that big action scenes were not the intended vision, but the technology wasn't there back in the day to make great space battle scenes for t.v. At the time. That just what I feel about it. I'm sorry if I came across as though I didn't like Worf coming to DS9, I was happy when he did, he's one of my favorite characters. I think they tried to make him a sort of Spock for the next generation at least with his unusual upbringing compared to those of his species. IMO, I think he was the best recognizable character to bring in. Sorry about not making that clearer.