Who is faster Superman or Flash

Superpowers1980

I once read in a Toy Fare Magazine, in the Q&A section this very same question, and the editor in chief at that time established Flash was faster, and he gave different reasons, which I don´t remember now. He also said " If Flash´s only power is speed, it would be lame to make someone faster than him, like Superman, so we are gonna let him have that"

From what I understood, the Speed Force is gone now?

Anyway, before they retconned in the existence of The Speed Force, the Flash was only slightly faster than Supes by most accounts. Then, with the advent of The Speed Force, he was MUCH faster.

But different writers love to play around with the "who's faster" thing. It could change at a moment's notice.

Before Flash: Rebirth Wally was supposedly fast enough to travel in time. Now, THAT'S fast. Also, Barry was the one creating the energy that powered all the other speedsters (The Speed Force) so I guess technically he was the fastest of all human speedsters in DC?

I once read in a Toy Fare Magazine, in the Q&A section this very same question, and the editor in chief at that time established Flash was faster, and he gave different reasons, which I don´t remember now. He also said " If Flash´s only power is speed, it would be lame to make someone faster than him, like Superman, so we are gonna let him have that"

While this is true, some other DC characters are inferior to others, for some reason...some that come to mind:

Bane: strong villain, but weaker than Bizarro, Giganta, Solomon Grundy (maybe?) off the top of my head...

Riddler: Intellectual villain, but outsmarted by Lex, Brainiac, Grodd...

Deadshot: Great assasin, but Deathstroke is better.

Elongated Man and Plastic Man....are they even? Or is one more capable than the other?

Though none of them are as famous as The Flash, they're just examples...

From what I understood, the Speed Force is gone now?

Anyway, before they retconned in the existence of The Speed Force, the Flash was only slightly faster than Supes by most accounts. Then, with the advent of The Speed Force, he was MUCH faster.

But different writers love to play around with the "who's faster" thing. It could change at a moment's notice.

Before Flash: Rebirth Wally was supposedly fast enough to travel in time. Now, THAT'S fast. Also, Barry was the one creating the energy that powered all the other speedsters (The Speed Force) so I guess technically he was the fastest of all human speedsters in DC?

Barry and Wally can still time travel. They did it in one of the BL books.

If you are talking now, it's Flash. And it's not even close.

Here's the final word... Superman.

People love to throw the fastest award to the Flash largely out of pity. The guy has one super power. Let's let him be the best at it. The Man of Steel however doesn't just RUN fast. He MOVES fast. He flies faster than the speed of light and can travel through time at will. He does not need to maintain contact between a surface and his feet in order to propel himself. The Flash is a runner. He needs a ground plane in order to move. Yeah. His momentum will carry him across water and air for miles but Superman with a thought can travel between planets. In most of the Flash-Superman races, Superman has had to promise to keep his feet on the ground just to give the Flash a chance!

Sorry, Flash. Your fast... but Superman is SUPER-fast!

Here's the final word... Superman.

People love to throw the fastest award to the Flash largely out of pity. The guy has one super power. Let's let him be the best at it. The Man of Steel however doesn't just RUN fast. He MOVES fast. He flies faster than the speed of light and can travel through time at will. He does not need to maintain contact between a surface and his feet in order to propel himself. The Flash is a runner. He needs a ground plane in order to move. Yeah. His momentum will carry him across water and air for miles but Superman with a thought can travel between planets. In most of the Flash-Superman races, Superman has had to promise to keep his feet on the ground just to give the Flash a chance!

Sorry, Flash. Your fast... but Superman is SUPER-fast!

no

• Like 1

Couldn't the Flash use his powers in other ways besides running in some of the older pre-Crisis stories? I thought there was at least one Silver Age story where he did other things besides run, such as vibrate really fast.

Hahah I just thought about what I said. Iris must've appreciated that abilitiewacko.gif

• Like 1

I am a little confused, Superman displays all the speed talent of Flash as a combination of his physical speed and his ability to fly. Superman displayed the ability to vibrate through walls as such and/or spin around. In most setting Superman can match Flash, so I figure Superman is faster than Jay Garrick at the very least.

Despite the pic darthfoley posted, people are still voting Superman? lol

http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/races.html

The Superman-Flash Races

* Races with Barry Allen

o The First Race (Superman #199) - Tie

o The Rematch (Flash #175) - Tie

o A Winner! (World’s Finest #198–199) - Flash

o DC Comics Presents #1–2

* Races with Wally West

o Superman/Flash: Race 1990! (Adventures of Superman #463) - Flash

o Fast Friends - Flash

* Races with Jay Garrick

o A DC First - Flash

* Other Races

o The Human Race (Flash #136–138) (Wally vs. Krakkl)

o Coming Soon

Ugh! Why would someone hold up a poorly-written sequence as some sort of weak support of their point? What did the Flash mean? "It was for charity. Why try?" Why is he trying now? What is this for? It's just bad, BAD writing.

The Flash RUNS! Long after he's rubbing his strained quads, Superman has reached Mars. If Superman wants to travel through time, he just WILLS himself. The Flash needs his cosmic treadmill because he's not fast enough to do what Superman has been doing since he was a Superbaby!!

• Like 1

Ugh! Why would someone hold up a poorly-written sequence as some sort of weak support of their point? What did the Flash mean? "It was for charity. Why try?" Why is he trying now? What is this for? It's just bad, BAD writing.

The Flash RUNS! Long after he's rubbing his strained quads, Superman has reached Mars. If Superman wants to travel through time, he just WILLS himself. The Flash needs his cosmic treadmill because he's not fast enough to do what Superman has been doing since he was a Superbaby!!

It was Geoff Johns and it happened. Whether you think it was bad writing or not is irrelevant. Flash left Superman in the dust. PERIOD.

And for the sake of argument, I think we are talking about Superman vs Flash in a foot race. Obviously Superman can fly to another planet before Flash can jump on a spaceship and fly there.

Its simple, who do people think is faster. This topic was inspired by the who is faster Speedy Gonzalez or Road Runner question.

Who's writing the story?

That's who will decide.......the person writing the story, because for every arbitrary reason one is faster than the other, another writer can come up with an equally valid reason to reverse the decision.

So, probably the best way to answer this is: " I think ____________ is faster, because I like them!"

Oh,c´mon!!! The writer!?!!? This doesn´t depend of what the writer wants. It´s something that is stablished. Batman is a better fighter than Nightwing, he might win one out of ten fights, but he is better than nightwing. Same thing with Superman / Flash. Flash is just faster.

• Like 1