Who's excited about the new articulation??

Lady Jaye

Hey everyone,

I agree that if Mattel wants to fix something, start with distribution and availability. Second, Fix the neck joint. The articulation on figures like Mr. Terrific are fantastic but others can only move side to side. I'd also like to see a change in the plastic used for women hair to allow for more flex and I'd personally love to see clothe capes. No ball joints! DCU classics have their own aesthetic that has been established over 14 waves, adding a hinged wrist or something where appropriate i can understand but changing the overall look of the figures is not the way to go.

regards

Joshua

Not to sound stupid, but we are taking about DC Universe Classics, not DC Infinite Heroes, correct? Only asking because this is the 1st I've heard about Classics getting more articulation, while Infinite Heroes has recently been getting more.

That said, if it's true that Classics is the line with more articulation, I think it's cool, so long as it doesn't seriously affect the stableablilty of the figures or the sculpts.

Not to sound stupid, but we are taking about DC Universe Classics, not DC Infinite Heroes, correct? Only asking because this is the 1st I've heard about Classics getting more articulation, while Infinite Heroes has recently been getting more.

That said, if it's true that Classics is the line with more articulation, I think it's cool, so long as it doesn't seriously affect the stableablilty of the figures or the sculpts.

Yup, 6" DC Universe Classics Blue Beetle from Wave 13 has been shown to have double hinged knee and elbow joints. He is the only one seen this way thus far, though.

As long as it doesn't fudge up the lovely sculpts we've been getting, I'm okay with it. As has been mentioned, I passed on the Marvel figures because the sculpts in conjunction with obvious points of articulation were pretty crappy.

Also this is a nice incentive to repurchase the inevitable re-issues of Superman/Batman, etc.

As long as it doesn't fudge up the lovely sculpts we've been getting, I'm okay with it. As has been mentioned, I passed on the Marvel figures because the sculpts in conjunction with obvious points of articulation were pretty crappy.

Also this is a nice incentive to repurchase the inevitable re-issues of Superman/Batman, etc.

Thank God I´mnot flooded with Supermans and Batmans, cause that would suck.

Every new joint also increases the fragility of these figures as well which was another drawback plaguing Marvel Legends. A good chunk of the few Marvel Legends I did break down and buy were floppy jointed marionettes right from the package.

To be honest, I have had just as many problems with DCUC having loose joints as I did with ML. And it's not always what you'd think. I've had some DCUC who's hips were loose, but just as many with a floppy head, knee or elbow (just as many combined). Also, I've repaired loose joints on both ML and DCUC so I don't worry about it in most cases as much as some people do.

I do not like the new articulation, DCUC has perfect articulation to me. They don't need to add an extra hinge at the elbow and knee. If they want to add something, they should add the ability to add extra hands and alternate heads, that is a better idea than extra hinges. Also they need to fix the neck issue and have the heads to ability to look up and down again.

Actually, I've been meaning to address this on the boards and keep forgetting. Did you guys know that a lot of the newer DCUC that seem to have immoveable heads, don't? The head is just stuck. If you heat it and move it around on the neck-ball, a lot of times you can not only improve the ability of the head to move, but you can unstick the neck-peg from the throat area as well. I have fixed about 6-8 of the 10 or 12 figures I got that have this problem. A couple have a neck-peg/throat hole that is simply the wrong size or shape for movement though.

If they are going to worry about articulation, then they need to do something with that ball jointed head. They also need to worry about finding a way to not warp the figures in the packages. I get tired of looking forward to a figure, openinging it, and an arm or leg is warped some weird way. They say they do this to show off the articulation but anyone who gives a damn about the line knows about the articulation. they need to focus on straight up and down poses in the pacakeges.

One more b***h. They need find a way to get the legs to close all the way as oppose to that bow legged look most of the figures have. The only two who do not have bow legs are the Spectre and Major force. Look at the attached pic and you'll know what I mean.

You should get into the whole boil/pop thing. You can do TONS of stuff with that including fixing "curved" parts. I use the term "curved" instead of "warped" because using "warped" can be misleading. "Warped" usually would mean that the part is actually molded incorrectly, where "curved" can mean that it was simply pushed aside by the blister.

I have fixed countless DCUC legs this way.

What I hate is when the parts are actually warped fresh out of the mold. Also, lately I've been noticing a lot of parts that have "mold lines" in the surface, which aggravates me a lot because I might not notice it when I first open a figure.

Who's excited?? Who wants things to remain the same? Who's worried they"ll have to buy everyone important again?? Who's worried the new figures won't mesh well with current figures. Raise your concerns or excitement here!!!!

I am not afraid of them adding some new art. to the upcoming char., but I am afraid that they may choose to redo all the older ones and also that if too many POA are added to too many DCUC they won't look diplayable with the older DCUC.

Having said that, has anyone noticed that with wave12 they took away the ankle tilts? This REALLY sucks IMO. I want them to put those back immediately.

Those are some great suggestions. And I have tried to "improve" many of my own figures. But I suspect that some people do not think they should have to "fix" the product after paying almost twenty dollars for a single figure. And I would agree with this. For whatever reason, many of my favorite DCSH or DCUC such as the original Cyborg Superman, Harley Quinn, Wave 6 Superman (which also had a terribly applied emblem, but to be fair they seemed to have greatly improved this based on what I seen with subsequent releases like the five pack), Blue Beetle (Ted) and the Atom all had floppy torso hinges right out of the packaging. And that is a manufacturing problem that, IFAIK, cannot be fixed.

I also think that some people simply do want to alter their figures from the way they were manufactured, even if it is unsatisfactory in some ways, and there are many valid reasons for this. Even wanting to keep the figure in its original factory condition for possible future reselling is valid.

I have not gotten any Wave 12 yet, so I did not know they did away with the ankle tilts. But that does indeed suck.

wow, glad i wasn't alone on this, yes, marvel legends paved the way for all the awesome figures we have today, but now that i look back ....they look very deformed and TOO articulated, when you can move a figures individual fingers ....its too far

Thank you, many Marvel Legends suck and they do look deformed. That double hinged knee and elbows is terrible.

wow, glad i wasn't alone on this, yes, marvel legends paved the way for all the awesome figures we have today, but now that i look back ....they look very deformed and TOO articulated, when you can move a figures individual fingers ....its too far

Thank you, many Marvel Legends suck and they do look deformed. That double hinged knee and elbows is terrible.

I think there will always be disagreement over stuff like this.

I like the articulation because the ML scheme gives me more posing options than I would get with other figures.

I LIKE being able to put Spiderman into a deep crouch, I LIKE having Iron Man able to pull a arm back and bend it tight and close to his torso.

I cannot presently do that to my satisfaction with DCUC--and YES, its a point of quibbling with me.

I accept that action figures are, essentially, mechanical armatures--especially if they are articulated. I accept the joints and hinges as part of that concession, and I look past them for the aesthetic. I revel in being able to find the sweet spots in posing, its a form of self-expression that makes action figures fun. I can have them "say" what I want them to say, and not be bound by a pre-posed figure. The more articulation, the better I can achieve that ideal.

Edited by ARROW

I like the articulation because the ML scheme gives me more posing options than I woould get with other figures.

I LIKE being able to put Spiderman into a deep crouch, I LIKE having Iron able to pull a arm back and bend it tight and close to his torso.

I cannot presently to that to my satisfaction with DCUC--and YES, its a point of quibbling with me.

I accept that action figures are, essentially, mechanical armatures--especially if they are articulated. I accept the joints and hinges as part of that concession, and I look past them for the aesthetic. I revel in being able to find the sweet spots in posing, its a form of self-expression that makes action figures fun. I can have them "say" what I want them to say, and not be bound by a pre-posed figure. The more articulation, the better I can achieve that ideal.

^--- This

Also, a lot of people talk about individual fingers being overboard. I think this is kinda BS. I like ind. fingers art. but only if done right. Like the way AoA Sabertooth's fingers were curved. You can actually get them to hold a gun.

But, not many people talk about mid-calf swivels. Not only is this wrong in terms of accuracy to the human form, it looks really stupid when you turn them. And it only very slightly helps a figure get into an actual accurate stance. Meaning, you can turn the swivel like, one degree at most.

That's one reason I like DCUC for the most part. They did away with calf swivels for the most part.

Also, there is a way to do elbow and knee articulation without double pins that still lets the figure oput it's forearm near the bicep and the calf near the hammys. A few Toy Biz 5" ender figures that are 6" tall have them, and even one Spider-Man Classics ender (Amazing Spider-Man) has it.

It's basically, a rounded hump in the middle of the single-elbow. If you don't get what I mean I have a pic somewhere.

Are the female heads supposed to turn? I had one Wonder Woman break and two Mary Marvel figures on the brink of becoming bobbleheads. It seems that the QC problems are returning. The PE figures were extremely horrible in terms of QC. My Black Lightning figure has a stuck swivel calf articulation thing whatever. (I do not know what each joint is called lol, I just collect em) It is already bad enough that people are having an extremely hard time finding these figures but breaking when they do find them? That is ridiculous. Instead of sending you a replacement they send you Mattel Dollars....yuck. My Nightwing, Abin Sur and Hal, Lightray, and Black Lighting (the wave 5 one) all have broken legs due to their pos Quality Control. I bought two Batman figures from PE to only have one stuck torso joint and the other one has duplicate biceps..... I am also afraid to turn the heads of Cyborg Superman and both Sinestro figures.

They need to fix the quality control problems and the distribution before adding more articulation to everything.

• Like 1

I like the articulation because the ML scheme gives me more posing options than I would get with other figures.

I LIKE being able to put Spiderman into a deep crouch, I LIKE having Iron Man able to pull a arm back and bend it tight and close to his torso.

I cannot presently do that to my satisfaction with DCUC--and YES, its a point of quibbling with me.

I agree with you! I've got one question, hope it's not too lame, but do you ever use the figures to create poses that you'd like to sketch and possibly use for your work.

Are the female heads supposed to turn? I had one Wonder Woman break and two Mary Marvel figures on the brink of bobbleheads. It seem that the QC are returning. The PE figures were extremely horrible in terms of QC. My Black Lightning figure has a stuck swivel calf articulation thing whatever. (I do not know what each joint is called lol, I just collect em) It is already bad enough that people are having an extremely hard time finding these figures but breaking when they do find them? That is ridiculous. Instead of sending you a replacement they send you Mattel Dollars....yuck. My Nightwing, Abin Sur and Hal, Lightray, and Black Lighting (the wave 5 one) all have broken legs due to their pos Quality Control. I bought two Batman figures from PE to only have one stuck torso joint and the other one has duplicate biceps..... I am also afraid to turn the heads of Cyborg Superman and both Sinestro figures.

They need to fix the quality control problems and the distribution before adding more articulation to everything.

Speaking of female heads, I have a big problem with the Black Canary head. You can't turn it because of her hair. Ok, fair enough. Not that big of a deal. The big deal is that you can't move it up and down and she's looking DOWN (slightly, but still). So you have to push her midsection chest up so that it looks like she's pushing her chest out.

In fact, I've noticed they took away the up down head moveent from many of the figs. It's disappointing to say the least.

I agree with you! I've got one question, hope it's not too lame, but do you ever use the figures to create poses that you'd like to sketch and possibly use for your work.

All the time. In fact, that is how I can justify using them as tax write-offs!! ;)

• Like 1

All the time. In fact, that is how I can justify using them as tax write-offs!! ;)

Good to know sir, good to know!

I'd prefer to keep on getting a nice mixture of obscure characters from the entire DC Library than go back and start rereleasing the big guns with more articulation. All they do is stand on my shelf anyway.

Rollo wrote:

I'd prefer to keep on getting a nice mixture of obscure characters from the entire DC Library than go back and start rereleasing the big guns with more articulation. All they do is stand on my shelf anyway.

Amen! Far too many characters left to be done before we get yet another Batman, Superman, etc.

I, for one, am glad they are finally adding the double joints. I have waited for this day since the line first debuted!! the one thing they need to fix though, are those God awful looking hips. just go with a ball joint style like marvel legends, seriously...they have been the only eye sore on the figures so far!!

but FINALLY we can get our batman that will FINALLY be able to squat down!!!