Beware Thief Matt Mason & Making Lemonade Out of Lemons

MisterSinister

Seriously, many of you here already know about Matt Mason. He has cheated people out of thousands of dollars worth of toys on many different forums across the Net.

Matt Mason has focused on DCUC figures recently. Be mindful of conducting any trades with anybody in Kankakee, Illinois.

He's hit Critical Mess again recently, here's the thread all about this thief...

http://www.criticalmess.net/index.php?topic=7982.0

You can see his aliases and the many different boards he's hit on page 28.

Now, Critical Mess is trying to do something right (besides just reporting him, which we did) with this sad pathetic situation. Pick up a shirt and wear it to your local Con (he frequents them). Best of all, Critical Mess is not making any money off of these, our portion of the proceeds (10%) will go directly to the American Red Cross's Haiti Earthquake Aid Fund.

Spread the word so others don't get duped by Mason and donate to a very worthy charity all at the same time. Buy the shirt, more info here...

http://www.criticalmess.net/index.php?page=419

Thanks for reading! :)

Do you understand that if you wear a t-shirt naming him, in a defamatory way in public, that he is legally entitled to sue you for libel--and can win?

Its not a question of what he has done, it not a question of what "wrong" you are trying to right. Under the law, unless he is convicted of a crime related to your grievance, he has the SAME rights as an innocent person to protect his name and reputation.

Innocent UNTIL proven guilty-that is how the courts will look at it.

Until someone indicts him for his assumed crimes, the courts will NOT consider such claims against him in a counter-charge against a libel action.

He can seek legal action against anyone wearing such a shirt in public, and potentially cost them a lot of money, if he were to win.

If you doubt what I say, call up a lawyer and ask them if this is an option you can pursue, or what other options you have against the guy.

You can get that kind of info pro bono.

What would help would be a picture of him. Many will attend comic con this year (I will), and I could see someone having a passionate physical debate with him, so passionate it hurts. You do have a point Arrow with the legal stuff, but I really doubt it would get to were time and money would be spent on a law suit. There's laws and then there's the authorities willing to put the money, time, and ridiculous amount of paper work to enforce laws and things that are so small in the caparison to large crimes or law suits.

Now in my experience with the law, I have been able to get away with a lot(just fights) as well as I've seen many that should have been put away let go. I have worked undercover for a P.I and the sheriff's department and even now as I work for best but part time as a Loss Prevention/asset prevention I see guys get away with all kinds of stuff, like we got a guy stealing, he even confessed in writing, plus he threaten to stab me with an 8inch knife he had and had a bagging of meth on him. When we called the cops they said that we did not have the proper 8 steps for catching a thief and they let him go and even gave back his knife , the dude was a gangbangger and had priors.

with me I have gotten to some bad fights (I never started them) and I have never been arrested the closest was when I got into a fight at a store with some guy who punched me for talking to his girlfriend who worked in the store and I was buying a shirt, they issued a bench warrant and a week later as I was speeding back to my base ( I was a 29 palms Marine) I got stopped and warrant came up and still they did not arrest me, they just told me i had to clear things up, so I go the police station in LA and sure enough self defense and the guy had priors for beating his girlfriend. The guy said he was going to sue me and the cops and me just laughed. Now I'm not advocating violence but I wouldn't mind seeing someone beat the piss out this thief.

You do have a point Arrow with the legal stuff, but I really doubt it would get to were time and money would be spent on a law suit. There's laws and then there's the authorities willing to put the money, time, and ridiculous amount of paper work to enforce laws and things that are so small in the caparison to large crimes or law suits.

But at the same time, you never know the will or the means of the other party.

If this person were to just consult a lawyer willing to advise him, it could lead to the lawyer representing him for a cut of the restitution that can be gain. The American court system is FULL of cases like that, and if he has a legit grievance in the eyes of the courts and law, then they have to treat him as serious as the next person, no matter how much of a creep he might be. Its THAT kind of pitfall that I'm warning people about.

There are ways of dealing with this sort of thing in a legal manner, but they can take a long time, a lot of effort and are not as satisfying as something like punching him out or wearing a shirt that maligns him.

Frankly, the reason he flourishes as a thief is because most of his victims wrongly believe his crimes are too petty to pursue--even when they are encouraged by others to prosecute.

As much I believe that M. Mason should be sent in prison for theft, I think having his face or name on a shirt would paint him as some sort of celebrity

Just that putting on a shirt with all his different screen names and alias may give some people the wrong idea that he is some sort of internet celebrity. Surely, that isn't what the people at criticalmass wants to do

Imo, Gruntcast's idea of posting fliers sounds more effective in trying to catch this guy.

As much I believe that M. Mason should be sent in prison for theft, I think having his face or name on a shirt would paint him as some sort of celebrity

Just that putting on a shirt with all his different screen names and alias may give some people the wrong idea that he is some sort of internet celebrity. Surely, that isn't what the people at criticalmass wants to do

Imo, Gruntcast's idea of posting fliers sounds more effective in trying to catch this guy.

I think you right with the giving this guy a guy a "fame" notoriety/celeb status, but it depends whats on the shirt, to be legally cleared you could have a picture of him and his names, and something saying "beware this guy is "accused" of ect. ect. "accused" being the key word that would block any legal action, you can accuse anyone all day the news does it, people put up 'accused" criminals up on billboards all the time.

Arrow is right it could get ugly but I think in this case there's a good chance that it won't. let's say that you just used his name maybe both first and last or just first or first initial and last name but no picture on fliers or t-shirts saying not just accusing the guy of theses crimes, well the lawyer (who are pretty expensive) would have to prove that his client is the M.Mason that is on the shirt which could be a challenge with out the pic, I mean with my name look up M Castellon and there will be thousands. Second the lawyer/law firm would have to see what the profit would be made from suing a small "at home" t-shirt company that has 10% of non sue able money going to charity, and see if that would justify the paper work and time spent on a case that could take months, first scheduling and second actually going to court. but Arrow is right it could end up ugly, but as long as you take the precautions in covering any legal stuff you should be fine.

I personally find beating the crud out from some deserving pile of dung pretty satisfying and it hurts them psychological too, (that was what the girlfriend beater said he was going to sue me for plus the physical damages)but that's just me @smilepunch@

Just be careful, is all I'm saying.

In ANY attempt to actually impugn another person, to actually harm their reputation by displaying or broadcasting a physical work that maligns them, ESPECIALLY for commerce or charity--get sound legal advise before you attempt it.

Most of the time you'll be told to abandon it, or offered other ways to go about it--mostly because the law holds we all have an inherent right to dignity--regardless of who people think we are, or what people think we have done.

This person could legally demand all the money raised as restitution for their maligned character, if they win in court--regardless if the proceeds are going to charity or not--think about that. They could also demand additional moneys for punitive damages, and it doesn't matter what the assets of the perpetrators are--the court can level whatever monetary cost it sees fit and slap garnishes on the perps until its paid off.

Remember, the chance of this person getting sound legal representation is 50/50--you simply do not know what kind of resources he might have in his corner. If the victims decide to forego the legal/sensible advice and go after the guy with something like a t-shirt, or a libel campaign, and he comes back with a lawyer.......then he'll have the advantage from then on.

Trust me, you will not want to be under the thumb of someone like that.

I'm sorry about through water onto this idea, but this is why vengeance schemes are idiotic and stupid. The law does not consider anecdotes, or claims..........it demands evidence and the will of victims to see prosecution through. That is why its fair. Doing it any other way casts the vengeful into the wrong.

Oh, and if you really want to get this guy, you (or the victims) will have to be willing to do a few things:

You'll need to be able to document, with physical evidence ( receipts, emails/letters etc) the perp's crimes. You'll need to absolutely prove that he committed the crimes, and you'll need as many victims as possible to come forward......namely all of them.

Someone will have to be the switchboard for all the info, victims might even have to hire a private detective to investigate the perp, track his movements for evidence needs and so on. It can take a lot of time and tedium, and even a lot of money to properly do it.

So who is up for that? Anyone?

I did not think so--I would not be either.

Yea, all the teeth-gnashing just falls apart when people realize that its going to take more than some dumb t-shirt or some posted complaints to give the guy his just desserts.

I can imagine that very few people have come forward and actually reported the guy, but only a few. I'd bet the number is less than a dozen. I'd also bet that if his list of victims is over 30-40.....that the remainder have grudgingly shrugged it off a irretrievable loss, and believe they cannot prosecute the guy.

And for the time being, they are right.......because they have not come forward.

There's doubtlessly a threshold here-where the crimes committed, the crimes reported and the values taken hit a kind of critical mass.

Under a collective amount of, say......$500, no-one is going to go after this guy--simply because its not worth it and the crime is too hard to prove.

But over amounts of say.....$1000, $2000, or even $5000......then, yea.....the law will have an interest in this guy because of two things: the collective theft is no longer petty, AND the fraud indicates that the perp is undertaking a long-term campaign of bilking people.

THAT is essentially what the victims have to establish......they have to get the amount of complains to the legal authorities to hit a threshold where they HAVE TO scrutinize the perp.

Now, some states handle this differently than others, you have to find out how they approach it in the state the guy lives in.

This can't be a "he said/she said" sort of thing....if a victim has retained no proof--they are useless to this.

And its a safe bet that most of the victims have tossed out their proof because they don't think they can get any justice.

I'm strictly talking about my experience with the law as an under cover op working for a p I in Corona and the Riverside sheriff's department for 3 years. In California (unless law has changed in the past 2 years ) companies that are sued can not have charitable funds taken. As far as Mason trying to Sue , there enough victims to testify and paper work to prove he is a thief, I say this based on my actual experience. As long as you word things right fliers would be OK. Mason has already been defamed on the forums and he has not sued tni or critical mass so just in my opinion he would not try because he in fact is guilty and suing would leave him open to being convicted of thief

By his own admission he is a thief. We have documentation of such at criticalmess.

therefore, any accusations of libel would be met with evidence to the contrary.

Moreover, Arrow, the things you mention that 'nobody' would be willing to do, Blisterfists has done. Go read the thread at CM.

By his own admission he is a thief. We have documentation of such at criticalmess.

therefore, any accusations of libel would be met with evidence to the contrary.

Moreover, Arrow, the things you mention that 'nobody' would be willing to do, Blisterfists has done. Go read the thread at CM.

He's just one person.

He's having such a great effect that...........well..........what's happened?

Nothing, right? The perp is still active.

I applaud his efforts, but I think we all know its going to take more than one person to bring the perp down.

I've read claims from two other people over the past couple of years that both said "the authorities were on to Matt Mason". I commented that if that were the case then they would be able to disseminate a case file number to the various forums to allow victims to contact said authorities directly. If not from the police in Illinois, then from USPS ( because of Mail Fraud), or from the FBI, because the crimes are taking place across state and even international lines. Any case file numbers from any of those?

To this date, NO-ONE has ever come forward with a case file number--which means there IS NO case file, and thus it says that NO-ONE has actually contacted "said authorities" in any meaningful way. That or the authorities consider it a waste of their time.

If MrBlisterfist is genuinely serious about this kind of thing.......and he knows that TNI is one of the forums that Matt Mason frequents.......then why is there little or no dissemination of information like that? Does someone have a case file number? If not, why not?

Has he sought legal advice? If not, why not?

See, I would like you guys to succeed. I think scumbags that defraud and rip off others deserve a world of hurt and we should make every effort to get them out of the collecting community asap.

But I think you need to go about it smart, and a t-shirt campaign to destroy his reputation isn't smart. That's my stated opinion on this, but I encourage anyone planning retaliation to get some legal advice and see what THEY say. By all means, get your kicks in, but protect yourselves first.

Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE