Would you guys purchase an unofficial action figure?

Doom Saber

My opinion is that these companies are filling in a gap that Hasbro/Takara apparently has no interest in filling themselves. I respect their intellectual property rights, but if they aren't going to use it b/c they feel the market won't support it, then that's their loss.

I've bought the Powered Commander Set and the Defender (Springer) figures and they are fantastic! Being fan-made pieces means they are not limited by the same sets of product liability laws as Hasbro, nor are they forced to sacrifice color or articulation if they don't want to - they just raise the price. Now obviously, some stuff is better quality than others, but those two sets are not chalky resin kits - they are professional quality.

Here's the kicker for me though, if Has/Tak made their own Ultra Magnus armor or Springer I would buy them too (assuming they looked good). Hasbro won't have lost any money on me.

I've bought other KOs of existing molds, but they are simply in addition to Hasbro's product for my collection. I've bought KO Classic Seekers just to have other colors, but I will still buy any new color of that mold that Hasbro puts out.

My opinion is that these companies are filling in a gap that Hasbro/Takara apparently has no interest in filling themselves. I respect their intellectual property rights, but if they aren't going to use it b/c they feel the market won't support it, then that's their loss.

I've bought the Powered Commander Set and the Defender (Springer) figures and they are fantastic! Being fan-made pieces means they are not limited by the same sets of product liability laws as Hasbro, nor are they forced to sacrifice color or articulation if they don't want to - they just raise the price. Now obviously, some stuff is better quality than others, but those two sets are not chalky resin kits - they are professional quality.

Here's the kicker for me though, if Has/Tak made their own Ultra Magnus armor or Springer I would buy them too (assuming they looked good). Hasbro won't have lost any money on me.

I've bought other KOs of existing molds, but they are simply in addition to Hasbro's product for my collection. I've bought KO Classic Seekers just to have other colors, but I will still buy any new color of that mold that Hasbro puts out.

I agree. What I have noticed on the Springer fig (haven't bought the toy though it is tempting) is that the toy doesn't have any large empty gaps in his limbs; Takara and Hasbro usually add gaps on their figures to save cost on plastic. I think if Hasbro makes Springer, he wouldn't be as good in regards to transformeration and plastic paint aps because of cost. I would probably skip on Hasbro's Springer and get the unofficial one but buy a licensed Ultra Magnus fig over the unofficial ver because of the fanproject's UM has a strange-lookin head--despite having more than one different type of head.

people do all the time from KO toall those add on transformer projects people make ... Even motu new line is getting accessory swords & what not made up... Personally I don't buy them because of the insanely high prices in most cases that springer figure is a perfect example of that ... While I'd gladly pay $30 or what not how ever much it would cost were hasbro to put it out I'm not going to pay darn near $100 (or whatever it comes to once shipping & in my case customs fees) would come up too...

Personally I don't buy them because of the insanely high prices in most cases that springer figure is a perfect example of that .....

Term Papers

As said earilar, some big companies,especially 1/6 scaled ones, still produce unofficial figs. Below is an image of Hot Toys new African American "generic" bod. These bodies are used for collectors to customize their own figures

Technically, this is an unlicensed fig but then again, since he is a political figure, his likness is public domain

20100419_0f743522c8b2e1e15abftxJ8sN2bAupU.jpg