Would you guys purchase an unofficial action figure?

Doom Saber

I decided to make this topic here because not many lurks at the general toy thread.

I have recently gotten into 1/6 figures and noticed how there are quite a lot of unlicensed figures based on American movies in the market. For instance, it is common to see a 12 inch military figure resembling Jeff Bridges as he appeared in Iron Man. There is even a knockoff figure of Selene from the film Underworld (with a good likness to actress Kate Beckinsale) in a set called Wonderworld Killer.

Unlike the usual knock offs we are used to, these figures tend to be made from scratch despite sometimes containing recast accessories; The difference between something like the Transformers Arcee figure and say, a knock of replica of Generation 1 MEgatron is that the former is a new sculpt whereas the latter is an exact and sometimes, inferior copy of an original toy,

Considering that there are now unofficial Transformers figures that obviously resembles a particular autobot/decepticon but aren't an imitation of an existing sculpt, would you guys still buy "knock offs" or rather, unofficial action figures?

if i liked it y not

Yeah, I don't normally entertain the notion of buying an unofficial figure, but that new upcoming "Explorer" Transformer that's obviously meant to resemble Springer looks great. I'd be tempted to get it, depending on the quality.

Yeah, I don't normally entertain the notion of buying an unofficial figure, but that new upcoming "Explorer" Transformer that's obviously meant to resemble Springer looks great. I'd be tempted to get it, depending on the quality.

That is the reason why I asked. I have no qulams of buyin unlicensed toys. However, I am sure there are some ppl out there that don't like it since it is not supporting the toy companies who owns the license or feel as if collecting these types of figures is bad.

my issue is more with price. For many of the customs figures i would purchase, that are of good quality, they can be 10 times what a normal figure would retail! I just can't afford it. I admire the work, but if it was cheaper i'd buy.

I used to just straight buy EVERYTHING but now im more picky. I just would like to put together the best looking collection to me. I definately want to get the Fans Project Springer. I also want the Ultra Magnus trailer that makes the classic figure look more like the G1 figure.

my issue is more with price. For many of the customs figures i would purchase, that are of good quality, they can be 10 times what a normal figure would retail! I just can't afford it. I admire the work, but if it was cheaper i'd buy.

I know what you mean. Unlicensed figures tend to be expensive since they are of limited quantities, made using resin, and the preice depends on the merchant. A few months ago, I have joined a group buy and purchased a 1/6 custom made head that is based on the likeness of the actor from a particular tv show. I bought the head for my brother, who is a fan of the show. The odd thing about it was that I was thinking that the head was going to cost 35 total since that was the original price the sculptor wanted it for.

I ended up payin 57 dollars total for an unpainted head for a headsculpt that I don't think is accurate to the actor; it hardly looks like the actor from the front, but the profile shots is quite accurate.

My brother is satified with the head, so there is no complaints from me. However, I will no longer do preorders for custom headsculpts unless there are prototype pics of the actual head. Not to bash the sculptors especially how all of them can do a good likness on individual or poorly on another.

people do all the time from KO toall those add on transformer projects people make ... Even motu new line is getting accessory swords & what not made up... Personally I don't buy them because of the insanely high prices in most cases that springer figure is a perfect example of that ... While I'd gladly pay $30 or what not how ever much it would cost were hasbro to put it out I'm not going to pay darn near $100 (or whatever it comes to once shipping & in my case customs fees) would come up too...

anybody got a link to the fans project springer? i'd look just for fun.

http://www.bigbadtoy...013&mode=retail

Thanks for the link, looks amazing. Price is insane, but looks great.

I've always thought it would be hilarious if Hasbro bought one, and knocked it off!

anybody got a link to the fans project springer? i'd look just for fun.

http://www.bigbadtoy...013&mode=retail

Thanks for the link, looks amazing. Price is insane, but looks great.

I've always thought it would be hilarious if Hasbro bought one, and knocked it off!

I'd actually call that justice :P

Funny I noticed these figures, about a 3 3/4 scale last night that would probably fit in real nice with G.I. Joe figs. Nothing fancy, a military figure with a basic weapon and looked to be just as good quality. I would think pretty cool if you collect those figs. $1.99 each.

If I bought G.I. Joe figs, I'd probably be all over them. They also had some larger sets but I didn't get to look much at those or their price.

Transformers has seen a lot of unofficial figs and add on sets. I've gotten a few things so far and they're fantastic! If a company did these on a larger scale for a cheaper price then I would go crazy on them.

I decided to make this topic here because not many lurks at the general toy thread.

I have recently gotten into 1/6 figures and noticed how there are quite a lot of unlicensed figures based on American movies in the market. For instance, it is common to see a 12 inch military figure resembling Jeff Bridges as he appeared in Iron Man. There is even a knockoff figure of Selene from the film Underworld (with a good likness to actress Kate Beckinsale) in a set called Wonderworld Killer.

Unlike the usual knock offs we are used to, these figures tend to be made from scratch despite sometimes containing recast accessories; The difference between something like the Transformers Arcee figure and say, a knock of replica of Generation 1 MEgatron is that the former is a new sculpt whereas the latter is an exact and sometimes, inferior copy of an original toy,

Considering that there are now unofficial Transformers figures that obviously resembles a particular autobot/decepticon but aren't an imitation of an existing sculpt, would you guys still buy "knock offs" or rather, unofficial action figures?

I have an fan created Hot Toys Michael Jackson from Smooth Criminal. I say hell yeah, why not? I can't sit around waiting for a product to go through...screw that.

I have an fan created Hot Toys Michael Jackson from Smooth Criminal. I say hell yeah, why not? I can't sit around waiting for a product to go through...screw that.

Is that the suit that can be found online? I know which fig you are talkin about

Speaking of Mj, Hot toys released images of the "I'm Bad" toy

Perhaps they will do the Smooth Criminal fig

Is that the suit that can be found online? I know which fig you are talkin about

I have seen the suit by itself but I bought the one that came with a figure, body and head. I didn't want to assemble it from all different places. Where and when did Hot Toys release pics of the Bad figure, I never heard of that only seen the customs that go for 400-800 bucks.

I have seen the suit by itself but I bought the one that came with a figure, body and head. I didn't want to assemble it from all different places. Where and when did Hot Toys release pics of the Bad figure, I never heard of that only seen the customs that go for 400-800 bucks.

Check your profile for the ht bad url

In regards to the smooth criminal custom suit head, I also have seen it on ebay. The headsculpt is pretty good especially for being unlicensed.

• 4 weeks later...

I won't buy anything if I feel like the peple have ripped off someone else's idea.

Like with Fan Projects Frenzy/Rumble toy (I think it was them that made it, I actually lost track of all these new little companies ripping off transformers characters) but anyways, the toy is obviously suppose to be Transformers G1 Rumble/Frenzy character, it looks just like him, but they named him something else and charge a crap load of money for it.

I find it tasteless and I would never buy something like that. Takara/Hasbro and everyone involved with those companies worked hard to come up with original ideas and characters, and they made a ton of $ off those ideas. It pisses me off seeing other people trying to cash in off these guys idea's, because they can't come up with their own.

If you want to sell something you don't own, license it like Takara/Hasbro did back in the G1 days, and pay/credit the original creators what they deserve.

I won't buy anything if I feel like the peple have ripped off someone else's idea.

Like with Fan Projects Frenzy/Rumble toy (I think it was them that made it, I actually lost track of all these new little companies ripping off transformers characters) but anyways, the toy is obviously suppose to be Transformers G1 Rumble/Frenzy character, it looks just like him, but they named him something else and charge a crap load of money for it.

I find it tasteless and I would never buy something like that. Takara/Hasbro and everyone involved with those companies worked hard to come up with original ideas and characters, and they made a ton of $ off those ideas. It pisses me off seeing other people trying to cash in off these guys idea's, because they can't come up with their own.

If you want to sell something you don't own, license it like Takara/Hasbro did back in the G1 days, and pay/credit the original creators what they deserve.

I see. What if the figure is based on a celebrity?