Marvel Universe figures PISS ME OFF

supreme-d

I'm a huge ML fan, so I agree with all of the critcism of the MU line. I'm trying to remind myself of the positive:

- ML is not gone, it's just coming out at a lot slower pace. Yeah, the early Hasbro ML's sucked, but they have made great strides of late.

- MU and the other 4" lines will allow them to make many many more characters. Just look at all the Iron Man characters - they've announced nearly every single IM made in ML, and more. And in lots of cases, the sculpt beats the ML version hands down (Silver Centurion).

- MU figures are a lot easier to store.

- MU figures have been much easier to find. I darn near had to cap a fool to get my Spiral!

Still, all that said... I miss the good old BAF days!

Lets all face it, Marvel figures have not been the same since Toybiz stopped making Legends. If you think Hasbro made the best Marvel Legends figures, then you have not seen what Toybiz put out. I admit, Hasbro did impress occasionally with certain ML figures, like Thor from the Blob Series, but that was hardly ever. I collect DC and Marvel figures, and since I have collected Marvel Legends AND Marvel Universe, I can see both sides. First of all, Marvel Legends will always be better than Marvel Universe, and there is no arguement there. If you want to argue that, you will end up losing the arguement. Even though that IS the case, Marvel Universe is not as bad as some make it out to be. They are definately not worth $8.99 no matter how you look at it, but collectors WILL pay it. Some of the figures do indeed suck in certain ways, but on the other hand, some are nice. I can say the exact same about the Hasbro Marvel Legends also though. So, when it comes down to it, there are people who like MU more than ML, and vice versa. There are some people who like them the same, and some people who don't like either anymore. All in all, I think I speak for EVERYONE when I say I wish Marvel Legends would start over with Toybiz making them.

I think you only speak for EVERYONE that liked Marvel Legends in the first place.

I am not one of those people. I really don't get why everyone compares ML to the MU line. They are two totally different types of lines that only share the same subject matter, and were made by two different companies (since most people seem to talk about the Toybiz line moreso than the Hasbro one when referring to ML). No one compares MU to Toybiz's approach at the 4" scale. And if it came down to a choice between Hasbro's MU line and Toybiz's SHS line, I'd take MU any day of the week. Their overall quality seems much better to me. I've heard countless complaints about the MU Punisher, but it seems like those same people forgot about the awful SHS version of that character. Or the fact that the SHS line felt so frail, I'm afraid to really pose any of them. I don't know how many times I've had to put Namor's arms and legs back on just because I was trying to get him into another pose. And don't get me started on their Spideys or their female characters. Ugh. The MU line is still in it's infancy. It will get better with time like most other lines. Everyone thinks Hasbro should be able to produce perfect 4" figures because of their SW and GIJ lines. Well, if you pay attention to the guys that collect those lines, you'll hear that they still haven't gotten those down just right yet. I mean, SW figures are as old as me, and they still have t-crotches?!? And ask any Joe fan about Duke Arms, and you're likely to get smacked. I think MU is looking really great for what it is. A line in it's first year. I think they're superior to Toybiz's attempts at the same thing, and superior to the DC line's attempt at the same scale. They work just fine for me as a 4" version of my favorite superheroes. Do they work well as 4" version of the acclaimed Toybiz Marvel Legends? No. But then, Toybiz couldn't even get that one right either. I think most of the hate for the line comes from guys that are invested in the ML line for years and don't like that Hasbro has gone in a different direction.

ML and MU are apples and oranges. It just happens that Hasbro has decided to sell more oranges than apples right now. Sorry for all those guys that like their apples, but I'm more of an orange guy anyway, so I'm happy.

• Like 1

I think you only speak for EVERYONE that liked Marvel Legends in the first place.

I am not one of those people. I really don't get why everyone compares ML to the MU line. They are two totally different types of lines that only share the same subject matter, and were made by two different companies (since most people seem to talk about the Toybiz line moreso than the Hasbro one when referring to ML). No one compares MU to Toybiz's approach at the 4" scale. And if it came down to a choice between Hasbro's MU line and Toybiz's SHS line, I'd take MU any day of the week. Their overall quality seems much better to me. I've heard countless complaints about the MU Punisher, but it seems like those same people forgot about the awful SHS version of that character. Or the fact that the SHS line felt so frail, I'm afraid to really pose any of them. I don't know how many times I've had to put Namor's arms and legs back on just because I was trying to get him into another pose. And don't get me started on their Spideys or their female characters. Ugh. The MU line is still in it's infancy. It will get better with time like most other lines. Everyone thinks Hasbro should be able to produce perfect 4" figures because of their SW and GIJ lines. Well, if you pay attention to the guys that collect those lines, you'll hear that they still haven't gotten those down just right yet. I mean, SW figures are as old as me, and they still have t-crotches?!? And ask any Joe fan about Duke Arms, and you're likely to get smacked. I think MU is looking really great for what it is. A line in it's first year. I think they're superior to Toybiz's attempts at the same thing, and superior to the DC line's attempt at the same scale. They work just fine for me as a 4" version of my favorite superheroes. Do they work well as 4" version of the acclaimed Toybiz Marvel Legends? No. But then, Toybiz couldn't even get that one right either. I think most of the hate for the line comes from guys that are invested in the ML line for years and don't like that Hasbro has gone in a different direction.

ML and MU are apples and oranges. It just happens that Hasbro has decided to sell more oranges than apples right now. Sorry for all those guys that like their apples, but I'm more of an orange guy anyway, so I'm happy.

The people who are comparing these two lines are usually the ones who are furious that ML is on the verge of cancellation.

They just don't understand-or don't want to understand-the factors at retail now. There's no place for a six-inch line of figures that isn't tied into a television show or movie.

You're sort of right about MU. The first figures in the modern Star Wars line were pretty bad and the 25th Joes had a few hiccups when they first came out as well.

But there are some things that, at this point, they shouldn't be screwing up. They're constantly using a Wolverine mold that's too tall and... actually that's all I can think of. I suppose I should take back some of what I said earlier.

I agree with cjflan32 with why people are not happy with MU versus ML and the whole hasbro vs toybiz quality. Some people are mad at hasbro because their focus seems to be more on the 3.75in figure lines and kind of letting the 6in ML line die to the point of just 2 packs. They are bringing out characters in the 3.75in form that those people have wanted to be made in 6in form for a long time. Some people are also still mad at hasbro for essentially killing their quality of ML 6in figs since acquiring its license and havent liked what hasbro have produced since. And then there are those people that compare the quality of hasbros past 3.75in figure legacy and the current MU line and are like WTF? The quality of the joe and SW lines are pretty stellar for their size and compared to the MU stuff, it makes them look godlike.

I honestly dont mind the tiny figures but I dont think they are that great overall. Most of them IMO have looked pretty odd in proportions and looks. Dont get me wrong though, they are made with very sturdy plastic and have a great selection of characters. I thought that toybiz SHS line wasnt bad at all. They also had a huge price tag to them which lead me to never touch them until they cancelled the line and the prices went down significantly. I ended up getting all but 2 of the whole series. I thought alot of those sculpts were great like colossus, thing, green goblin, and thor to name a few. But they did feel frail and the parts do break off from time to time. They were great tho because they felt like mini marvel legends. I wasnt really keen on the whole "game" that they were trying to sell with them but overall I thought it was a great attempt at something Toybiz had never really done before; 3.75in fully articulated marvel action figures.

With the hasbro MU series, I just pick and choose characters that just grab me as awesome... I only really have one but it is perfect and the stuff they showed at NYCC look promising as well. They are definitely IMO leaps and bounds better than the DC U 3.75in figs for sure tho.

The people who are comparing these two lines are usually the ones who are furious that ML is on the verge of cancellation.

They just don't understand-or don't want to understand-the factors at retail now. There's no place for a six-inch line of figures that isn't tied into a television show or movie.

No place for a 6 inch line? How about DC Universe Classics? They seem to be moving ahead just fine, and with no television and movie ties. Marvel Legends is a perfectly viable line if Hasbro wants to do it, but why should they when people are buying figures at almost 10.00 (which is what it will be in a year or two) for a 1/4 of the plastic?

regards

Joshua

No place for a 6 inch line? How about DC Universe Classics? They seem to be moving ahead just fine, and with no television and movie ties. Marvel Legends is a perfectly viable line if Hasbro wants to do it, but why should they when people are buying figures at almost 10.00 (which is what it will be in a year or two) for a 1/4 of the plastic?

regards

Joshua

They Do? no stores around here carry them, last time I seen DC classics around they were on clearance. Not to mention they lack of articulation makes them cheaper to produce. I've also heard tons of whining about distribution problems.

As far as the price, don't buy. A lot of us didn't with Joe and we won, the price is coming down on them.

regards

Joshua

Yeah, the figures are moving so well Mattel has to sell complete sets on its Web site due to distribution problems and people not being able to find them. You totally missed the point.

In my area Cyborg, Captain Cold and Blue Beetle are paying rent because they've been hanging on the pegs for a year. The only thing that's moved is the Gotham City 5 set.

You're one of the top DCUC whiners on this site. "I can't find this" and "they should reissue this guy". Now all of a sudden you saying they move well?

Guess that "factors at retail" thing I said applies to the DC fans too.

I agree with cjflan32 with why people are not happy with MU versus ML and the whole hasbro vs toybiz quality. Some people are mad at hasbro because their focus seems to be more on the 3.75in figure lines and kind of letting the 6in ML line die to the point of just 2 packs. They are bringing out characters in the 3.75in form that those people have wanted to be made in 6in form for a long time. Some people are also still mad at hasbro for essentially killing their quality of ML 6in figs since acquiring its license and havent liked what hasbro have produced since. And then there are those people that compare the quality of hasbros past 3.75in figure legacy and the current MU line and are like WTF? The quality of the joe and SW lines are pretty stellar for their size and compared to the MU stuff, it makes them look godlike.

I honestly dont mind the tiny figures but I dont think they are that great overall. Most of them IMO have looked pretty odd in proportions and looks. Dont get me wrong though, they are made with very sturdy plastic and have a great selection of characters. I thought that toybiz SHS line wasnt bad at all. They also had a huge price tag to them which lead me to never touch them until they cancelled the line and the prices went down significantly. I ended up getting all but 2 of the whole series. I thought alot of those sculpts were great like colossus, thing, green goblin, and thor to name a few. But they did feel frail and the parts do break off from time to time. They were great tho because they felt like mini marvel legends. I wasnt really keen on the whole "game" that they were trying to sell with them but overall I thought it was a great attempt at something Toybiz had never really done before; 3.75in fully articulated marvel action figures.

With the hasbro MU series, I just pick and choose characters that just grab me as awesome... I only really have one but it is perfect and the stuff they showed at NYCC look promising as well. They are definitely IMO leaps and bounds better than the DC U 3.75in figs for sure tho.

I will never understand people's problems with the Hasbro ML. You can divide it into two major problems:

1. Some of the figures were ugly. And I couldn't agree more. Emma Frost, X3 Phoenix, Ultimate Wolverine, no doubt.

However, Scarlet Witch and that purple X-23 weren't going to win any plastic beauty contests.

2. Super articulation. The most overrated concept of this line. Some of my Toy Biz figures were so well articulated they couldn't stand. Hasbro cut it down to a reasonable amount of POA.

I mean, it hurt at first but I did get over the fact that my figures didn't have toe joints.

i also don't like some of their design in 3 inch, but i have not other choice to collect them because i have to continue from showdown series to make avengers member...but i think showdown series is not match with hasbro universe series..you can see the different 100% clearly enough

No one compares MU to Toybiz's approach at the 4" scale. And if it came down to a choice between Hasbro's MU line and Toybiz's SHS line, I'd take MU any day of the week.

In my opinion, Magneto, Thing, Colossus, Green Goblin, and Thor are were all done much better by Toybiz.

I do share your opinion that most of the Showdown figures felt fragile, and I also had to replace a lot of limbs, but that's also been the case with the MU stuff so far. The legs pop off all the time when I try to actually pose them.

No one compares MU to Toybiz's approach at the 4" scale. And if it came down to a choice between Hasbro's MU line and Toybiz's SHS line, I'd take MU any day of the week.

In my opinion, Magneto, Thing, Colossus, Green Goblin, and Thor are were all done much better by Toybiz.

I do share your opinion that most of the Showdown figures felt fragile, and I also had to replace a lot of limbs, but that's also been the case with the MU stuff so far. The legs pop off all the time when I try to actually pose them.

That is true about the characters you mentioned. I still use those versions in my displays. As for legs popping off of the MU line, I've not experienced that myself yet, so I won't say for sure that there aren't any issues if you're having them.

I really do like the MU line. Now, I think my like of the line comes from the fact that I've been a collector of the smaller scale figures since day one, and never could get into the 6 inch scale. This is my way of finally collecting the superheros and villians that I've been wanting for so long and have them blend in with my other displays at the same time.

Hasbro always takes a year or two to find their stride with new lines. Compare the first assortment of 25th Anniversary G.I. Joe figures with the figures we got towards the end of that run or even the Rise of Cobra figures and it's like night and day.

The Marvel Universe figures that are coming out now are much better than what hit in March of last year. 2010 Wave one looked and felt like a big leap forward (except for the Wolverine headsculpt), and from what I hear Wave 2 of 2010 is even better.

One thing Hasbro is very good at is fixing many of their mistakes and missteps over time. It might not be instant but when they put out a bad figure (Think Wave 1 Punisher) they work to try to correct it in a reasonable (remember, there's a year to a year-and-a-half lead time on most new/non-repaint toys) amount of time. Another example of Hasbro's learning ability: They've retired the horrendous Daredevil body mold according to statements at Toy Fair. They'll probably never be perfect (no line is), but they're already showing signs of improvement.

Hasbro always takes a year or two to find their stride with new lines. Compare the first assortment of 25th Anniversary G.I. Joe figures with the figures we got towards the end of that run or even the Rise of Cobra figures and it's like night and day.

The Marvel Universe figures that are coming out now are much better than what hit in March of last year. 2010 Wave one looked and felt like a big leap forward (except for the Wolverine headsculpt), and from what I hear Wave 2 of 2010 is even better.

One thing Hasbro is very good at is fixing many of their mistakes and missteps over time. It might not be instant but when they put out a bad figure (Think Wave 1 Punisher) they work to try to correct it in a reasonable (remember, there's a year to a year-and-a-half lead time on most new/non-repaint toys) amount of time. Another example of Hasbro's learning ability: They've retired the horrendous Daredevil body mold according to statements at Toy Fair. They'll probably never be perfect (no line is), but they're already showing signs of improvement.

hopefully HASBRO do the improvement on other line and size, not only 3 inch figure

I still think Hasbro stinks at their Star Wars figs. Would it be too much to ask to get some ball joint hips, or maybe some knee articulation? That's most of the reason I never liked those figures. I always thought of them as inferior to my Joes as a kid. At least MU has more articulation than those statues.

I will never understand people's problems with the Hasbro ML. You can divide it into two major problems:

1. Some of the figures were ugly. And I couldn't agree more. Emma Frost, X3 Phoenix, Ultimate Wolverine, no doubt.

However, Scarlet Witch and that purple X-23 weren't going to win any plastic beauty contests.

2. Super articulation. The most overrated concept of this line. Some of my Toy Biz figures were so well articulated they couldn't stand. Hasbro cut it down to a reasonable amount of POA.

I mean, it hurt at first but I did get over the fact that my figures didn't have toe joints.

The purple X23 face sculpt is a near match to some of the comic book artwork.

For example:

300px-X-23_Vol_1_3.jpg

What I don't understand about the MU line is why the ball jointed hips are made out of plastic. Joes have metal ball joints, so why does MU, a much more expensive line with less accessories have plastic ball joints?

Amen to that! I am afraid to move the legs of my new Secret Wars Thor. It feels like it will bust right off. That's exactly what happened with my MU Green Goblin - trying to pose him on his glider, the leg popped right off. Junk! So what good is a "joint" that can't be moved?

Also, the combination of double jointed knees with that type of hip is just not good. Very little poseability in those legs. Very very little.

The IM2 4" line shows how it should be done. Whoever designed MU really blew it in a huge way. Whoever designed IM2 should be given control over all the 4" lines. If they were the same team, well... I'm glad that you're learning.

At least the new Thor and Juggy look pretty good.

They've retired the horrendous Daredevil body mold according to statements at Toy Fair.

Well that is good news. It's too late for poor Secret Wars Mr. Fantastic - what wretched excuse for an action figure. But I have no doubt at all that a better one will come. It's just a shame that I had to buy that POS to get the Ultron, who is also far from perfect, but still a pretty cool fig.

The IM2 4" line shows how it should be done. Whoever designed MU really blew it in a huge way. Whoever designed IM2 should be given control over all the 4" lines. If they were the same team, well... I'm glad that you're learning.

At least the new Thor and Juggy look pretty good.

Man i totally agree, I really havent had any interest in most of the MU figs as they look like garbage overall. But wow those IM2 figs have got me jonesing for them. I want a good majority of their comic based series. They all look so well done! And I would agree that juggy def looks very promising. Im also ecstatic that they are making a hullk buster IM!!! DO WANT!