Stores are worthless!

Xorr

I just don't get it. I've called virtually every Target, Wal-mart, and Toys'R'Us in the northwest suburbs around Chicago in order to see whether or not they have any of the new DCUC figures in, and I have yet to reach anyone with even a 3rd grade intelligence it seems! Even the store managers have no concept of when or whether they have received a shipment of any action figures from Mattel. I certainly don't expect the average worker there to know about the characters or understand even the concept of waves, but good lord, how can a manager not even be able to tell me whether they received shipments of any given toyline, or whether they are in stock? How the hell do they manage inventory and cost controls when they have no clue of what's going on in their stores?

One guy from Target said it was all done automatically by computer, and when I asked him why their idiotic "artificial intelligence" system failed to re-order for almost 3 months now (the shelves have been bare since before Xmas), he failed to have a clue. He could only say that "when things sell out, the computer re-orders it". I told him he needed to get off his ass and reprogram his computer, because the stupid thing has in fact not re-ordered anything since Xmas. There is one Black Canary sitting there for two months now, and nothing else.

Does anyone else have this problem? It's not even worth the time to call these places. Forget driving all over the Chicagoland area on an Easter egg hunt, but even calling the stores is a massive waste of time. It seems to me that the collective IQs of the two dozen plus people I've spoken with today would be hard pressed to reach a positive, single-digit number.

So, where is the most cost effective place to order online, for individual figures? I think I'm just gonna go to all-online orders.

• Like 1

I certainly don't expect the average worker there to know about the characters or understand even the concept of waves, but good lord, how can a manager not even be able to tell me whether they received shipments of any given toyline, or whether they are in stock? How the hell do they manage inventory and cost controls when they have no clue of what's going on in their stores?

When said stores carry literally thousands of other kinds of products, how can you expect them to concern themselves with a few cartons of ONE toy-line that you care about? As long as their distribution centres send them stock to place on their shelves, that is often ALL they care about.

Large retailers like you mentioned will NEVER focus on individual product lines to the degree that you seek. Its not worth their time, or energy.

• Like 1

I can't speak for Walmart or TRU but I can speak for Target

The merchandise comes in the early moring and the Flow team puts the stock out

If the Dept mgr is in soemtimes they don't get to check there own stock becasue the store managers give them other duties in other dept's to do.Like if your a Toy Dept mgr they might want you to reset endcaps in the grocery side becasue that person not there to do it

Plus if the Toy Dept mgr isn't a collector they don't watch there stock they assume the early morning flow team put out the items.

As for ordering one Toy mgr told me that the computer won't have things automatically ordered till down to a certain level on the shelves like if there are only 1 or 2 peices left the comp automatically orders more

Also if they cared which some can't because there doing 50 million things for the store mgrs they could order it on the electronic guns

Wow, you've seen a Black Canary. I haven't seen anything after wave 7. That's what... 5 waves. All I see are wave 7 everywhere I go if anything is on the shelf/peg.

Whatever happened to the good old days when the daytime employees stalked the shelves when the shelves were empty. Stores are idiotic now. Ah well.

Wow, you've seen a Black Canary. I haven't seen anything after wave 7. That's what... 5 waves. All I see are wave 7 everywhere I go if anything is on the shelf/peg.

Whatever happened to the good old days when the daytime employees stalked the shelves when the shelves were empty. Stores are idiotic now. Online is to expensive with they're scalper prices then shipping on top of that. Ah well.

There used to be a time when every dept in the store had people manning them but today stores like to cutdown on employees and have a handful run around trying to help in each department

I just don't get it. I've called virtually every Target, Wal-mart, and Toys'R'Us in the northwest suburbs around Chicago in order to see whether or not they have any of the new DCUC figures in, and I have yet to reach anyone with even a 3rd grade intelligence it seems! Even the store managers have no concept of when or whether they have received a shipment of any action figures from Mattel. I certainly don't expect the average worker there to know about the characters or understand even the concept of waves, but good lord, how can a manager not even be able to tell me whether they received shipments of any given toyline, or whether they are in stock? How the hell do they manage inventory and cost controls when they have no clue of what's going on in their stores?

One guy from Target said it was all done automatically by computer, and when I asked him why their idiotic "artificial intelligence" system failed to re-order for almost 3 months now (the shelves have been bare since before Xmas), he failed to have a clue. He could only say that "when things sell out, the computer re-orders it". I told him he needed to get off his ass and reprogram his computer, because the stupid thing has in fact not re-ordered anything since Xmas. There is one Black Canary sitting there for two months now, and nothing else.

Does anyone else have this problem? It's not even worth the time to call these places. Forget driving all over the Chicagoland area on an Easter egg hunt, but even calling the stores is a massive waste of time. It seems to me that the collective IQs of the two dozen plus people I've spoken with today would be hard pressed to reach a positive, single-digit number.

So, where is the most cost effective place to order online, for individual figures? I think I'm just gonna go to all-online orders.

dude, i work for stater bros., and i ALWAYS get pissy costumers who think my mind is a super computer and i'm suppose to give them an answer the second they ask it, please PLEASE be nice to them, because nothing is more depressing then fucktard costumers, its not because he's lazy its because he really has no power in ordering or can change it

Don't misunderstand me. I never said I expected even the store manager to know about an individual line or individual figures. But come on! How can a store manager not be able to look at the computer and say "Yes, we got a shipment from Mattel last week"? I mean, really. This is the 21st century, the age of computers and instant communication. How do they even do inventory if the manager has no clue whether they even received a shipment from a manufacturer? We were able to confirm things like this over the phone at major retailers 35 years ago, long before they had computers. I remember my mother calling JC Penny to ask which Mego figures they had back in '72, and they told her each one by name.

As for the automated computer ordering thing, that isn't making sense, because these stores have been out of stock for MONTHS now, and I check several times a week. Same packages, same shelf. I even look look for distinguishing marks on the packages, so I know it's the same item sitting there week after week. And how can they have several Wonder Woman and Cyborg figures and never have any from the waves after that? It's just too odd. I guess they don't want to make money, that's why they don't keep things in stock or provide customer service. That's fine. I'm taking my business online. I want my hobby to be fun, not stressful.

ChopperMonsterPoint wrote:

dude, i work for stater bros., and i ALWAYS get pissy costumers who think my mind is a super computer and i'm suppose to give them an answer the second they ask it, please PLEASE be nice to them, because nothing is more depressing then fucktard costumers, its not because he's lazy its because he really has no power in ordering or can change it

Again, don't get me wrong. I'm the last person who would expect any store employee to know next to anything about any individual line. At least not in modern day society. Back in the day, sure, but not now.

So I'm not one of those pissy customers who thinks employees are there for my sole service or anything, or that they should be walking encyclopedias of knowledge. But for Christ's sake, they should be able to look at the shelf and read a name! I had a guy at Best Buy who I asked about a DVD of an old movie called "The Dark" and he kept asking me how to spell "dark". I #$## you not. Unreal. I guess I just don't tolerate incompetence for any reason, or willful ignorance. An employee at any store should take at least enough time to know his department well enough so that when they transfer the call to him, he can understand what the customer is asking.

I picked up a side job mainly to afford my hobbies comfortably, and it's a nightmare there sometimes. I get 3, 4, sometimes 5 customers asking me things all at once. I take the time to find the correct answer, to find the correct item, and to make sure they're taken care of. I don't get paid any more than a slacker working there would, but it's a work ethic that I guess is missing these days.

well the problem is moral in these stores now a days. I'm a overnight manager at Blank store, and half my staff that works for me, just doesnt care. They come to work, do their jobs, and go home. They dont try to go out of their way to help a customer. Every time their is a problem, that a customer want to talk to management, I go out of my way to help the customer, and then the customer say, well that employee is a lazy person. I cant fire someone for being lazy and tell the customer " I dont know" when it only takes a few moments to find out, because all my people are good, but they all complain they dont get paid enough.

My store hasnt seen a bonus check in a long time, and when we do its like $20-30. So the employees just dont care about sales. It sucks, and I try to get everyone to work better, but the economy sucks right now, and people are only buying the what they need.

Thats my 2 cents.

You will never get anything done by calling a store. Especially Wal Mart, Target, and Toys R Us. The only way you will ever get anything done is if you know someone who works at the store. When I first started collecting DCUC figures, I tried calling Wal Marts and I got the run around EVERY place I called. Usually they do not even know what you are talking about, even if you describe it perfect. The best thing to do is take a day and map out a bunch Wal Marts, Targets, and Toys R Us (unless you have GPS, then you just write down all of the addresses) and then drive to each one. It will take a good ammount of gas money, but thats the name of the game when it comes to collecting. Or just buy them online.

I have worked for Walmart for many years and i know how the system works,most ppl just dont the answers that they want. walmart stores do not get a shipment from mattel,hasbro, or any other toy company. they get their items from a warehouse. so asking if they got a shipment in from mattel doesnt work. My walmart gets in over 4,000 items everynight, so noone can tell you if or when a box came in. The walmart warehouse will send a list of everything that is in the truck or trucks (not always correct). So then the frieght gets put on pallets and brought to the floor,where a person will put up the frieght,then bring the "overstock" back to the back room where it will be bined. "IF" it is bined correctly the computer can tell you what bin it is in. The computer can also tell you how many are in the store, how many are on order, and if the ware house has any,sometimes the warehouse does not have them.

I'm sorry but you need to get out there and actively hunt and get a sense of when stores receive the items you want. Once you have their schedules figured out you can then cut down on all the wasted trips. Sitting there and calling a bunch of stores and speaking to drones who don't care is only going to aggravate you. You have to put forth some effort in the toy collecting game. If you can't, then try a different hobby like rock collecting. Not trying to come off rude, just my 2 cents.

Best to just buy online if possible, otherwise you have to hit the ground and go hunting. Its funny back when I started collecting I loved the hunt, as ive gotten older its more of a hassle than anything. So I usually just buy online or in the case of exclusives I go out a hunt. It is fun when you find that ellusive item, however rare that happens with DCUC.

I have worked for Walmart for many years and i know how the system works,most ppl just dont the answers that they want. walmart stores do not get a shipment from mattel,hasbro, or any other toy company. they get their items from a warehouse. so asking if they got a shipment in from mattel doesnt work. My walmart gets in over 4,000 items everynight, so noone can tell you if or when a box came in. The walmart warehouse will send a list of everything that is in the truck or trucks (not always correct). So then the frieght gets put on pallets and brought to the floor,where a person will put up the frieght,then bring the "overstock" back to the back room where it will be bined. "IF" it is bined correctly the computer can tell you what bin it is in. The computer can also tell you how many are in the store, how many are on order, and if the ware house has any,sometimes the warehouse does not have them.

Sounds like Walmart has the same type of system Target has

The backroon backstocks the items in bins and when they do they scan the number of the bin with the PDT gun andwhen you need the item later just give them the DPCI and it will come on automatically with the gun

Tey can also find out on the gun what other stores in the district still have them in stock

It might nit be the figure your looking for but it just says the item is in stock with the quantity

All useless info that I can spew because Target let me go after 8 years last month

My local Target/Wallys/TRU are pretty worthless also, although I did find a Public Enemies Major Force and Black Lightning today. I dont even really hunt anymore I got Wave 11 from BBTS and hve waves 12 and 13 preordered also. Wave 14 is a Wallys exclusive so Ill probably wait until ebay saturation to buy them, but I think online ordering is the best way to go with this line considering how hard it is to find these at retail.

Kill Solo wrote:

I'm sorry but you need to get out there and actively hunt and get a sense of when stores receive the items you want. Once you have their schedules figured out you can then cut down on all the wasted trips. Sitting there and calling a bunch of stores and speaking to drones who don't care is only going to aggravate you. You have to put forth some effort in the toy collecting game. If you can't, then try a different hobby like rock collecting. Not trying to come off rude, just my 2 cents.

So do you think that driving hundreds of miles in circles going to stores that carry no stock isn't going to aggravate me? @hmmm@

The reason I started calling the stores was precisely because I got aggravated by driving to those stores week after week and finding empty shelves or the same 2 figures that have been there since Halloween. Gas isn't cheap, and time is at a premium when I work 3 jobs. It would be one thing if they carried the toys, but after 3 months of checking and nothing...well, how many hours are in a day?

I'm all for putting in the effort, if the effort yields results. But spending a tank of gas and 4 or 5 hours of my time driving around accomplishing nothing is sorta pointless, don't you think?

Card wrote:

Best to just buy online if possible, otherwise you have to hit the ground and go hunting. Its funny back when I started collecting I loved the hunt, as ive gotten older its more of a hassle than anything. So I usually just buy online or in the case of exclusives I go out a hunt. It is fun when you find that ellusive item, however rare that happens with DCUC.

I used to enjoy the hunt too, when it yielded results. I kinda miss it. But it's become more of a hassle than an enjoyment, so I think you're right - online ordering is the way to go. Five minutes online and they're delivered to my door. No more dressing up and braving the weather and traffic and crazy people and getting my hopes up only to come home hours later, tired and disappointed and aggravated.

So, where are the best online stores? Is Bigbadtoystore any good? I'm considering placing an order with them right now.

Kill Solo wrote:

So do you think that driving hundreds of miles in circles going to stores that carry no stock isn't going to aggravate me? soupson.gif

The reason I started calling the stores was precisely because I got aggravated by driving to those stores week after week and finding empty shelves or the same 2 figures that have been there since Halloween. Gas isn't cheap, and time is at a premium when I work 3 jobs. It would be one thing if they carried the toys, but after 3 months of checking and nothing...well, how many hours are in a day?

I'm all for putting in the effort, if the effort yields results. But spending a tank of gas and 4 or 5 hours of my time driving around accomplishing nothing is sorta pointless, don't you think?

Card wrote:

I used to enjoy the hunt too, when it yielded results. I kinda miss it. But it's become more of a hassle than an enjoyment, so I think you're right - online ordering is the way to go. Five minutes online and they're delivered to my door. No more dressing up and braving the weather and traffic and crazy people and getting my hopes up only to come home hours later, tired and disappointed and aggravated.

So, where are the best online stores? Is Bigbadtoystore any good? I'm considering placing an order with them right now.

I order almost everything nowadays from BBTS, great service, ive never had a problem with them. I love their shipping method (they ship your items when you tell them), it really saves on shipping cost. I think ive ordered every DCUC wave except 5,10 and 11 from them. I dont like entertainment earths website, its just way to confusing for me (they do have nice customer service). Brians toys is way to expensive and ive had issues with toywiz not delivering, so I avoid them (but thats just me, im sure others have done well with them). When I order my Japanese toys I use HLJ, those guys rock.

Xorr, I understand your frustration with hunting and not finding anything, but the best thing to do in that situation is map out some Targets, Wal Marts, and Toys R Us that you have never been to. I know gas is not cheap, but sometimes you have to drive a little ways to go to a place you have never been. Find 3 or 4 Wal Marts, Targets, And/Or Toys R Us that are AROUND the same area that you have never been to before, even if its an hour away, you will get to see shelfs that maybe have not been hit in a long time. When the Target sale of DCUC for $7.99 was going on, I found some old, rare figures that had not been found because collectors never hit that area. I also found Wave 8 and Wave 9 full sets by hitting alot of different stores. I am not saying you will have that much luck, but you are sure to find SOMETHING you are looking for.

Lucked out and found a Hawkgirl tonight. ohmy.gif

Amazing, here we are four waves past 8 and they're still popping up. No GG though. :\

Ganesha, great find on the Hawkgirl. Was this at a Toys R Us?

Ganesha, great find on the Hawkgirl. Was this at a Toys R Us?

Target

They had a wacky case. Going off memory they had:

- Black Canary

- Green Arrow

- Deadshot

- Hawkgirl

- Shazam

Store has been dry for a few weeks before then, with nothing but four Shazams and a Wonder Woman.

BlackLantern wrote:

Xorr, I understand your frustration with hunting and not finding anything, but the best thing to do in that situation is map out some Targets, Wal Marts, and Toys R Us that you have never been to. I know gas is not cheap, but sometimes you have to drive a little ways to go to a place you have never been. Find 3 or 4 Wal Marts, Targets, And/Or Toys R Us that are AROUND the same area that you have never been to before, even if its an hour away, you will get to see shelfs that maybe have not been hit in a long time.

I actually have a friend who works out in the far 'burbs for the post office, so he checks for me. Which saves me gas since he's already out there. Which is how I got the Dr. Midnite, Eclipso, Iron, and Spectre figures. Seems that Mary Marvel and Copperhead and Desaad are gonna be trickier. But wow, it sure does seem easier to order online.