Difference in DCSH Cyborg Superman and DCUC 2 Pack Cyborg Superman?

BlackLantern

From my understanding, it's the same figure. I never saw the DCSH so I'm not sure. But from pictures on the internet, it looks like the DCSH, 2-pack and the Wave 11 Cyborg Superman figures are all from the same mold.

I understand that it is the same mold, but I was trying to figure out if there is ANY difference in the paint or anything. The DCSH version is still going for high prices, so I was thinking there is probably SOME difference in the paint or something like that. I have the DCSH Cyborg Superman sealed and it looks like the blue paint is darker on it from the pictures I have seen, but I do not have the 2 Pack version to compare it to. Anyways, thanks for the input. If anyone else has any info about this, please reply. Thanks.

I have the wave 11 Superman Cyborg and I've compared it to pictures of the DCSH Cyborg and the major difference is in the left leg. The wave 11 version has a human looking leg while the original has a cybernetic version. The 2 pack release is more or less the same, unless you count a different shade of blue a major difference.

If it isn't just mine, the DCSH has some sort of tiny black specks on the robotic parts, and of course the darker blue.

The DCUC 2-pack version had faded spots of blue on his costume. It also has a little more black wash on the skull, giving it an almost burnt look.

This is all I can see in a side-by-side comparison. And, based off my figures, of course.

If it isn't just mine, the DCSH has some sort of tiny black specks on the robotic parts, and of course the darker blue.

The DCUC 2-pack version had faded spots of blue on his costume. It also has a little more black wash on the skull, giving it an almost burnt look.

This is all I can see in a side-by-side comparison. And, based off my figures, of course.

Thanks MrImpossible, I really appreciate your reply. I was hoping someone would answer who actually had both of the figures to compare right next to each other. The reason I am asking this is because I got a DCSH Cyborg Superman sealed for cheap recently and I do not have the 2 Pack version to compare it to. Mattel is pretty good about making re released figures a little bit different, but I was still not sure if it was the exact same in every aspect. I know the molds are the same, but I was pretty sure the paint was different. I like it when older figures have differences from a re release because if it was the exact same, it defeats the point of having the rare DCSH version.

Thanks MrImpossible, I really appreciate your reply. I was hoping someone would answer who actually had both of the figures to compare right next to each other. The reason I am asking this is because I got a DCSH Cyborg Superman sealed for cheap recently and I do not have the 2 Pack version to compare it to. Mattel is pretty good about making re released figures a little bit different, but I was still not sure if it was the exact same in every aspect. I know the molds are the same, but I was pretty sure the paint was different. I like it when older figures have differences from a re release because if it was the exact same, it defeats the point of having the rare DCSH version.

It sure does. It's why the Fists of Clay pack was a slap in our faces.

Yeah, its cool for the newer collectors, but for the collectors who went out thier way to get certain DCSH figures, it sucks. At least with the Gotham City 5 Pack, the 2 Face and Catwoman were repaints and not the exact same. I don't see why they did not make some differences on the figures in thier other DCSH re released figures. They want to do this whole "Adult Collector" pitch, but then they re relase figures that are no different than previous hard to find figures. They should always at least change something so it does not hurt the value of the previous figure. If I wanted something that was going to stay the same value, I would collect pennys. Don't get me wrong, I collect because I love the comics, characters, and story lines, but when they do something like that, it just feels like whats the point of being proud of having a rare figure if they just re release it down the road.

They are doing the same thing by releasing the 5 Pack of all of the DCUC Wave 5 figures. Everyone who went out thier way to get those figures are now going to be SOL. Its nice to have some figures easier to get, but I do not want to collect something that is 100% easy to get. That kills the part of the fun in collecting for me.

Yeah, its cool for the newer collectors, but for the collectors who went out thier way to get certain DCSH figures, it sucks. At least with the Gotham City 5 Pack, the 2 Face and Catwoman were repaints and not the exact same. I don't see why they did not make some differences on the figures in thier other DCSH re released figures. They want to do this whole "Adult Collector" pitch, but then they re relase figures that are no different than previous hard to find figures. They should always at least change something so it does not hurt the value of the previous figure. If I wanted something that was going to stay the same value, I would collect pennys. Don't get me wrong, I collect because I love the comics, characters, and story lines, but when they do something like that, it just feels like whats the point of being proud of having a rare figure if they just re release it down the road.

They are doing the same thing by releasing the 5 Pack of all of the DCUC Wave 5 figures. Everyone who went out thier way to get those figures are now going to be SOL. Its nice to have some figures easier to get, but I do not want to collect something that is 100% easy to get. That kills the part of the fun in collecting for me.

Wave 5 5-pack?! This is news to me. O_O

They want to do this whole "Adult Collector" pitch, but then they re relase figures that are no different than previous hard to find figures. They should always at least change something so it does not hurt the value of the previous figure. If I wanted something that was going to stay the same value, I would collect pennys. Don't get me wrong, I collect because I love the comics, characters, and story lines, but when they do something like that, it just feels like whats the point of being proud of having a rare figure if they just re release it down the road.

I would prefer re-releases to be the same, unless in cases where they fix previous problems or screw-ups. As long as DCSH Clayface and Cyborg Superman are still in their package they would, I assume, retain their rare value on the secondary market. I've never bought any of my toys as an investment and the rare factor seems more to me as bragging rights than anything. None of my friends that come over would recognize the differences in figures.

As far as Mattel embracing Adult Collectors. I think that is more in line with sharp sculpts, crisp paint, and being worried less with childish factors that make them "playable" as mush as making them aesthetically pleasing so they display well. Hasbro does the same kind of thing with G.I. Joes and Star Wars. Rarely changing the actual figures (aside from said inconsistencies) with the only difference being packaging. I can't imagine Mattel gives a hot damn about toys retaining a high value on the secondary market. And really. Why would they unless they are hoarding back stock to dump later?

• Like 1

They want to do this whole "Adult Collector" pitch, but then they re relase figures that are no different than previous hard to find figures. They should always at least change something so it does not hurt the value of the previous figure. If I wanted something that was going to stay the same value, I would collect pennys. Don't get me wrong, I collect because I love the comics, characters, and story lines, but when they do something like that, it just feels like whats the point of being proud of having a rare figure if they just re release it down the road.

I would prefer re-releases to be the same, unless in cases where they fix previous problems or screw-ups. As long as DCSH Clayface and Cyborg Superman are still in their package they would, I assume, retain their rare value on the secondary market. I've never bought any of my toys as an investment and the rare factor seems more to me as bragging rights than anything. None of my friends that come over would recognize the differences in figures.

As far as Mattel embracing Adult Collectors. I think that is more in line with sharp sculpts, crisp paint, and being worried less with childish factors that make them "playable" as mush as making them aesthetically pleasing so they display well. Hasbro does the same kind of thing with G.I. Joes and Star Wars. Rarely changing the actual figures (aside from said inconsistencies) with the only difference being packaging. I can't imagine Mattel gives a hot damn about toys retaining a high value on the secondary market. And really. Why would they unless they are hoarding back stock to dumb later?

I agree. The worth of figures are different when they were back then. A few decades ago, if you have a rare toy, you can make a pretty penny for it. Since over the decades, more 20 and 30 year old start collecting toys. As a result, toys that were made 10 years ago are not worth as much as a figure 20 years ago

Even though there have been a few reissues with a completey different paint job, the old figures will drop in price no matter what esp if they are loose. For example, if you look for a dc superheroes catwoman opened, she isn't as much as she was once when DC Superheres was still being made. MOTU 2003 Teela used to be rare. However, she now goes for a few bucks loose.

As for DC superheroes Clayface, CapnJeffro is right. The current value for an unopened CF is anywhere from 30 to 68, the same value as when beore the two pack came out:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=dc+superheroes+clayface&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=motu+teela&_osacat=0

I think there is this selfish "I have to be one of the few to own this rare toy to feel good about myself" mentality in some collectors. In five years, no one would probably care if you have a rare toy that isn't an SDCC exclusive. More than likely, a better figure of the same character will be made. I agree wth Capn Jeffro that these toys shouldn't be collected as investments. If you are buying the toys because of how much they will cost in the future, you should only focus on the rarer figures and not open them. This way, your toy will still be valued even if a reissue is released in a different package

And, to be fair, we the collectors are what determines rarity and demand of figures. MOTU: 200X was a hot commodity only a few years ago, but with the focus shifted to MOTU Classics a demand has dropped and thus so have the prices. It's no longer a long term investment (if you really want to even define it that way,) but what is hot, new, and a must-have right now. Obviously the DCSH and DCUC figures are seen as hot in the eye of the collectors. Very much the same as Marvel Legends were early on in their Toy Biz career. But, what I find to be interesting is that with DCUC the variants are often less sought after or go for less money than their normal counterparts on the secondary market(read: e-bay}.

Late 70's and early to mid 80's are the action figures that could truly be seen as an investment and that's because no one did. Who would have thought thirty some odd years ago to buy toys and NOT open them? Not very many, obviously, and so those items are still highly sought after. To me this hobby is regaining my childhood and going back to better days. Superheroes, space battles, and real American heroes. And I get to share my found memories with my son as many of my childhood favorites have been updated. And thus the Adult Collector is born.

To me an adult collector focused product gives an item that can be seen as more than just a cheap plastic trinket and turns it into a piece that can be displayed with pride.

• Like 1

As far as Mattel embracing Adult Collectors. I think that is more in line with sharp sculpts, crisp paint, and being worried less with childish factors that make them "playable" as mush as making them aesthetically pleasing so they display well. Hasbro does the same kind of thing with G.I. Joes and Star Wars. Rarely changing the actual figures (aside from said inconsistencies) with the only difference being packaging. I can't imagine Mattel gives a hot damn about toys retaining a high value on the secondary market. And really. Why would they unless they are hoarding back stock to dump later?

I definately agree with what you are saying, but I still feel that people feel a little screwed over sometimes when a rarer, older figure gets re released. Especially those that went out of thier way and paid alot for a figure. I don't collect as an investment or anything, I collect because I love the comics and characters. The reason I even asked is because I got ahold of a DCSH Cyborg Superman sealed for really cheap, and I just wanted to know if it was the same as the re release. Not for the value of the figure, but the rarity of it. I like rarer figures, and not because I want to be one of the only people that has it, its nothing like that. I just like having some of the rarer figures, because most of the time, those are the coolest. If a figure is rare and I think it sucks, I don't care how rare it is, I won't get it. I don't collect for anyone or anything, but myself.

Also, of course they care about which figures retain a high value on the secondary market, because they know when they re release that figure, it will sell like crazy. Proof being the topic figure, Cyrborg Superman, and the Clayface. Not to mention the 5 Pack of Wave 5 coming to MattyCollector.com soon. They know that will sell to people who do not even collect the DCUC line anymore, not to mention everyone else. I am sure they do not set it up that way when they release a figure, but if Wave 5 was not sought after as much as it is, and not worth what its worth, there would be no 5 Pack. If the Cyborg Superman and Clayface were not so sought after, they would not have made the 2 Packs with those.

Anyways, the more I thought about it, and the more I talked to my friends who are collectors, we all agreed that any re release of a rare figure is a good thing in a way, because it gives everyone who never got it an actual chance to get it, and its a bad thing in a way because alot of collectors went way out of thier way to get it before it was re released. I know some of you here paid alot for Wave 5 at some point, and now there is going to be a 5 Pack released on Matty of Wave 5. For those that have not heard about this, I believe it was said by Matty a few times, I am pretty sure on thier Face Book sometime or another.

I definately agree with what you are saying, but I still feel that people feel a little screwed over sometimes when a rarer, older figure gets re released. Especially those that went out of thier way and paid alot for a figure. I don't collect as an investment or anything, I collect because I love the comics and characters. The reason I even asked is because I got ahold of a DCSH Cyborg Superman sealed for really cheap, and I just wanted to know if it was the same as the re release. Not for the value of the figure, but the rarity of it. I like rarer figures, and not because I want to be one of the only people that has it, its nothing like that. I just like having some of the rarer figures, because most of the time, those are the coolest. If a figure is rare and I think it sucks, I don't care how rare it is, I won't get it. I don't collect for anyone or anything, but myself.

Also, of course they care about which figures retain a high value on the secondary market, because they know when they re release that figure, it will sell like crazy. Proof being the topic figure, Cyrborg Superman, and the Clayface. Not to mention the 5 Pack of Wave 5 coming to MattyCollector.com soon. They know that will sell to people who do not even collect the DCUC line anymore, not to mention everyone else. I am sure they do not set it up that way when they release a figure, but if Wave 5 was not sought after as much as it is, and not worth what its worth, there would be no 5 Pack. If the Cyborg Superman and Clayface were not so sought after, they would not have made the 2 Packs with those.

Anyways, the more I thought about it, and the more I talked to my friends who are collectors, we all agreed that any re release of a rare figure is a good thing in a way, because it gives everyone who never got it an actual chance to get it, and its a bad thing in a way because alot of collectors went way out of thier way to get it before it was re released. I know some of you here paid alot for Wave 5 at some point, and now there is going to be a 5 Pack released on Matty of Wave 5. For those that have not heard about this, I believe it was said by Matty a few times, I am pretty sure on thier Face Book sometime or another.

I think reissues are a double edge sword. I mean, if you are a collector who wants to make cash, it is bad esp if you want to sell out your broken toys. Before Takara did reissues for old transformers g1 products, sellers would overprice any figure fromt hat line. For instance, a good megatron in crappy condition would fetch around 100 dollars. Now, that same toy would be worth around 5 dollars or less.

I think reissues are good if it prevents resellers from deposing crap to collectors. Then again, it is the community's fault for thinking that such an item is valued for that much.

The problem is that I think the average toy collector is implusive by rather not waiting for a toy to go down in price, he/she will purchase it when it comes for a large sum

One cannot really blame companies for reissuing a toy or putting out a toy that was cancelled that only a few collectors has. To clarify, Megabolt Megatron was a cancelled Beast Machines toy and during the time when Robots in Diguise were Hasbro's current transformers line, a bunch of opened samples of the toy showed up on ebay. The auctions would state that these toys were cancelled and some would even have the old card bubble insert.

People ended up paying 100 and more for this item. A few months later, HAsbro announced the toy as a Kaybee exclusive in RID style packages, as well as a blue missle as oppose to the red ones that some of the ebay oens had. Those who hunt for the testshots were pissed. However, one cannot blame Hasbro for them spending that much since they knew for a year that they were goin to sell this item to the public.

I think that the collector should know the risk of buyin rare figs in that there is a possibility that they may be reissued

Anyways, the more I thought about it, and the more I talked to my friends who are collectors, we all agreed that any re release of a rare figure is a good thing in a way, because it gives everyone who never got it an actual chance to get it, and its a bad thing in a way because alot of collectors went way out of thier way to get it before it was re released. I know some of you here paid alot for Wave 5 at some point, and now there is going to be a 5 Pack released on Matty of Wave 5. For those that have not heard about this, I believe it was said by Matty a few times, I am pretty sure on their Face Book sometime or another.

I think you miss understood me. I'm sure companies keep up with which items are really sought after by collectors and considered rare. But I'm definitely sure the same companies don't concern themselves with trying to keep those toys at a high value on the secondary market.

I found the original DCSH Cyborg Superman as well as the variant Steel and a few others (that weren't Superman, Supergirl, or red Doomsday) at Big Lots on the cheap at the very end of the run. A 5-pack of Wave 5 would be awesome. I only saw a few of these at retail, but I assume that means no Metallo if it's a 5-pack. Which means he'll still go for a ton. That's fine, though, as I prefer Corbin to be similar to his Public Enemies and old Superman: TAS appearances.

As a general rule of thumb, I go ahead and assume EVERYTHING has a potential to be re-released unless it is an exclusive or a limited number piece. And I'm just a bit jealous of you having other collector friends. Heh. I have buddies that understand my hobby and think it's cool, and even some that will pick up a piece here or there (mostly when I drag them to cons or midnight madness events), but none that are really collectors like myself.