Question About Scale

A_Spidey_Fan

Recently at a Giant Tiger, I saw a cool looking ATV in the 1:12 scale(According to packaging), and began to wonder what action figures could fit in this scale or at the very least, look right standing next to them. So I started to do a little rescarch using Wikipedia as a guide(Since I don't know my scales well) to find out what vehicles and accessories could fit in a certain action figure scale, and here's what I've come up with so far:

- 1:18 Scale: Approx 3.75"-4" figure scale, though many approx 4" action figure lines use vehciles in 1:16 scale.

- 1:12 Scale: Approx 6" figure scale.

- 1:6 Scale: Approx 12" figure scale.

So, I have a question. What scale is 8" figures consider in(Examples of this scale include Mego style figures, Mattel's upcoming World Greatest Superheroes figures, Super Joe, and G.I. Joe Sigma 6)? The reason I ask is because I'm looking for some stuff to use for my 8" figures. I mean, I could use 1:6 Scale stuff for 8" figures, but some of it may look or be a little too big for 8" figures.

Recently at a Giant Tiger, I saw a cool looking ATV in the 1:12 scale(According to packaging), and began to wonder what action figures could fit in this scale or at the very least, look right standing next to them. So I started to do a little rescarch using Wikipedia as a guide(Since I don't know my scales well) to find out what vehicles and accessories could fit in a certain action figure scale, and here's what I've come up with so far:

- 1:18 Scale: Approx 3.75"-4" figure scale, though many approx 4" action figure lines use vehciles in 1:16 scale.

- 1:12 Scale: Approx 6" figure scale.

- 1:6 Scale: Approx 12" figure scale.

So, I have a question. What scale is 8" figures consider in(Examples of this scale include Mego style figures, Mattel's upcoming World Greatest Superheroes figures, Super Joe, and G.I. Joe Sigma 6)? The reason I ask is because I'm looking for some stuff to use for my 8" figures. I mean, I could use 1:6 Scale stuff for 8" figures, but some of it may look or be a little too big for 8" figures.

I did the actual math and it turns out that 1/9th is 8 inches

To demostrate:

An average person is 6 feet. So 6 times 1 will get you 6. 6 divided by 9 will yield .66

Now, since our culture uses inches (there are 12 inches per feet) as oppose to centimeters, we times thhe percent of .66 to 12

We get 8

If you don't believe me, do 6 devided by 12 times 12

You get 6. 6 inches is the normal size of a 1/12th fig

for 1/6th, you do 6 times 1 divided by 6, you get 1

Obviously, 12 times 1 is 12

1/12th is Marvel Legends of DCUC scale.

1/18th is lil GIJOE and Marvel Universe scale.

1/6th is 12" GIJOE scale.

8" figures would be about 1/9th scale. The other scales are considered common, because they relate to other toy or hobby scales.

For example, 1/12th scale is also known as "doll house scale", as maybe hobby doll house and accessories are made for that scale.

1/9th scale is a very uncommon scale--you MIGHT find some stuff in radio controlled aircraft that would work for it, or you might have to rely on other similar scaled figures from past toy lines.

Stuff from Big Jim or some fashion doll lines, for example, will probably be proportionate with 1/9th scale stuff, but the amount of choice you'll have will be limited. You might be able to find what is a medium sized toolbox in 1/6th scale, but it becomes a nice large-sized toolbox and tools in 1/9th scale, and so on and so forth.

Typically, the best bet for off-scale toy accessories is knock-offs of 1/6th stuff--which are frequently under-scale. You just have to keep your eyes open when you shop.

Also, gi joe figs, the older ones, has under scaled. What I mean isthat according to the math, I done, 1/18 is 4 inches yet the old joes are 3.75.

However, this shouldn't be too suprising since their 1/6 joe figures are, if I am not mistaken, 10-11 inches.

Thanks for everyone's help and answering my question, along with tips and suggestions. I'd figure that finding stuff for 8" figure scale could be trickly, since it is kind of an scale not used too often. I'm mean, some 1:6 scale stuff could work for 8" figures, but of course, it could depend on the items, and the size of the 8" figure's hands to determine if they can hold them or not. But I only asked because 8" figures have poped up from from time to time.

And thanks for the math/calculations Doom Saber. I'll try to remember using it for future references. From what I understand of how you wrote it, the formula is:

(6ft * a)/(12 Inchs/ft) = Answer in Inchs

with "a" being the # from the 1:# scale correct(By the way, "*" is what I'm using as times, and "/" is divide)?

Sorry if me typing it like this seems werid, but it's easier for me to see calculations when it's done with symbols(I've tired it so far, and seems correct, but 2nd opinions do help). This is epsecially true if using the BEDMAS(Brackets, Exponints, Divide, Multiply, Add, Subtract) sequence. And just to complete my list from my pervious posting:

- 1:9 Scale: Approx 8" figure scale.