Video Game Thread.

Doom Saber

Finally, after an hour of playing that cheap challenge, the tower is 100% complete, and I got my achievement. :)

Shao Kahn can suck it.

Haha congrats. I have been on a bit of an MK hiatus for now as it was starting to piss me off and I was also getting alittle bored with it since I didnt have anyone to play it with. Now that PSN is up again I started up some arcade for a bit. Man I really cant take the d-pad on the ps3. Everyone seems to hate the xbox controller for fighters but maaaaannnn I love that thing. Im so used to it and switching back and forth on the analog and digital. I cant switch on the ps3 because it feels weird and the analog is too loose. It especially sucks when im fighting Kahn. When I want to dash and jump over him I end up just jumping up and fighting myself with the controls, its annoying as hell.

As much as I love the new MK, I still cant get enough of MvC3. Ashame the lobbies are really weak without spectator mode. It pretty much kills having more than 2 players in lobbies at one time. So sad. Too spoiled by SSFIV.... also SFIV arcade edition DLC is coming out in a few weeks! Hopefully after that they ll start announcing new MvC3 DLC... Im saddened they havent just blown that game up with DLC already.

Finally, after an hour of playing that cheap challenge, the tower is 100% complete, and I got my achievement. :)

Shao Kahn can suck it.

Haha congrats. I have been on a bit of an MK hiatus for now as it was starting to piss me off and I was also getting alittle bored with it since I didnt have anyone to play it with. Now that PSN is up again I started up some arcade for a bit. Man I really cant take the d-pad on the ps3. Everyone seems to hate the xbox controller for fighters but maaaaannnn I love that thing. Im so used to it and switching back and forth on the analog and digital. I cant switch on the ps3 because it feels weird and the analog is too loose. It especially sucks when im fighting Kahn. When I want to dash and jump over him I end up just jumping up and fighting myself with the controls, its annoying as hell.

As much as I love the new MK, I still cant get enough of MvC3. Ashame the lobbies are really weak without spectator mode. It pretty much kills having more than 2 players in lobbies at one time. So sad. Too spoiled by SSFIV.... also SFIV arcade edition DLC is coming out in a few weeks! Hopefully after that they ll start announcing new MvC3 DLC... Im saddened they havent just blown that game up with DLC already.

Speaking of DLC...I'm hoping there's some MK love coming soon. I read somewhere that Ed Boon hinted at free DLC, and also that we would have access to all the old school MK skins that were given out with preorders and Blu-Ray purchases (Reptile, Sub-Zero, Mileena, etc).

I know there have been some DLC characters confirmed too.

Speaking of DLC...I'm hoping there's some MK love coming soon. I read somewhere that Ed Boon hinted at free DLC, and also that we would have access to all the old school MK skins that were given out with preorders and Blu-Ray purchases (Reptile, Sub-Zero, Mileena, etc).

I know there have been some DLC characters confirmed too.

Yeah so far the confirmed DLC characters are Kenshi (from MK Deadly Alliance and the only good new character to come out of that series of MK), Skarlett (the red mileena/kitana/jade glitch turned character) who is made of blood, and supposedly Kintaro will become playable( which doesnt make ANY sense to me). I would really like to have all the retro costumes that were pre order bonuses for sure. I know the reptile skin I have is definitely my favorite and his retro fatality is pretty sweet as well. We know theres more than that because they leaked MK3 models of sektor and cyrax(which I posted a video with them about a page back). Now that PSN is getting back up Im sure we re going to hear some news on release dates and new DLC soon.

I liked Bo' Rai Cho, Li Mei, and Havik. I don't feel that Kenshi was the only good character created from the console only Mortal Kombats.

I didnt really like them. Most of the newer characters from the console mks were kind of lackluster. I didnt mind their stories but they just werent that fun to play as to me. Wasnt a fan of Bo Rai Cho at all... Havik was a cool design but most of his moves were very unorthadox. Funny his design was originally to be used as Noobs new look. I dont think Kenshi's design was all that amazing either but out of all the new characters he was the most fun to play as IMO. The later console MK games started making every character feel the same with the only difference being their energy blasts/ moves.

Since there seems to be a handful of people playing MK9 here...just curious who everyone's favorite characters are?

Ermac was my favorite from UMK3, and he's been given quite a bit of love in the new MK, so I use him quite a bit. I actually think some of his combos need to be toned down a bit to be inline with some of the other characters. His juggle combos are very easy to pull off and set up, and do more damage than combos for other characters that you need to work your butt off to get good with.

Kung Lao was another favorite of mine, as I used him quite a bit back in the MK2 days, but after seeing how OP and cheap he is in the new game, I've kind of dropped him. IMO, he needs to be nerfed quite a bit. He's super fast, has a ton of utilities, insane combo potential, and his spin move needs some work to be more balanced...on top of it, you can combo out of his X-Ray. After watching quite a few tournament streams, in the hands of a good player, he's pretty much impossible to beat with any other character in the game, and people who normally use other characters switch over to Lao if they end up facing another player who is maining him, just because he's so hard to beat.

Any character who can pull out combos like this, and has all of the tools that Kung Lao has, needs some more work to balance him out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10MVJN4fIWQ&feature=related

I've been working on getting better with Sub-Zero lately, but his combos are insanely hard to do with any consistency, but I'm getting better with him.

I really like Sindel too, and plan on learning her next.

Since there seems to be a handful of people playing MK9 here...just curious who everyone's favorite characters are?

Ermac was my favorite from UMK3, and he's been given quite a bit of love in the new MK, so I use him quite a bit. I actually think some of his combos need to be toned down a bit to be inline with some of the other characters. His juggle combos are very easy to pull off and set up, and do more damage than combos for other characters that you need to work your butt off to get good with.

Kung Lao was another favorite of mine, as I used him quite a bit back in the MK2 days, but after seeing how OP and cheap he is in the new game, I've kind of dropped him. IMO, he needs to be nerfed quite a bit. He's super fast, has a ton of utilities, insane combo potential, and his spin move needs some work to be more balanced...on top of it, you can combo out of his X-Ray. After watching quite a few tournament streams, in the hands of a good player, he's pretty much impossible to beat with any other character in the game, and people who normally use other characters switch over to Lao if they end up facing another player who is maining him, just because he's so hard to beat.

Any character who can pull out combos like this, and has all of the tools that Kung Lao has, needs some more work to balance him out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10MVJN4fIWQ&feature=related

I've been working on getting better with Sub-Zero lately, but his combos are insanely hard to do with any consistency, but I'm getting better with him.

I really like Sindel too, and plan on learning her next.

Sub Zero has always been my favorite throughout the series and in the new game hes alot slower and much much harder to master. In the new game I like wayyyyy too many of the characters. Back in the early mk days Ive always been a fan of all the palette swap characters, that includes the robots as well. In MK9 Im a big fan of pretty much all of the female characters. They all play amazing and its super fun doing their combos. I like Jade and Kitana the best so far tho. I used to main Kitana in MK2.

Me and my older brother used to always play mk2 and have kitana vs mileena fights. I miss those days. He only plays Duty these days.

Mortal Kombat has had a rest at my house as Im about half way through Spiderman SD. It's been a fun game so far, a few glitches here and there, but still a lot of fun to play as the wall crawler. Sometimes I think the graphics are a little short sided, but I guess it's supposed to look like a comic book. Still trying to decide if I am going to keep the blockbuster membership going or not...

finally beat the challenge tower... wow that last fight was insane!!! I still have to go back to the goros and khans levels though. Got to finally do some online matches with my buddy last night on MK.. wow that was pretty wicked. The online is a wee bit laggy. Alot of crazy things happen that dont usually happen when you are playing mk online. Still wicked fun though.

finally beat the challenge tower... wow that last fight was insane!!! I still have to go back to the goros and khans levels though. Got to finally do some online matches with my buddy last night on MK.. wow that was pretty wicked. The online is a wee bit laggy. Alot of crazy things happen that dont usually happen when you are playing mk online. Still wicked fun though.

Ya, I haven't played online since the first couple of nights against my friend. The lag makes it so a lot of the juggle combos don't even work because of the delay.

They're supposed to be fixing it from what I've read.

thinking of going out and renting Brink if I can find the will power to stop sitting at my computer playing with my new transformers toys

thinking of going out and renting Brink if I can find the will power to stop sitting at my computer playing with my new transformers toys

That game got some pretty scathing reviews after all the build up for it. You'll have to let us know what you think if you do rent it.

I've taken a break from Mortal Kombat, and bought Skate 2 for $20 off of Xbox live. Talk about a frustrating game! @lol@

I'm having quite a bit of fun playing it, but it's no Tony Hawk game...quite a bit more complicated, and realistic. I'm getting better at it the longer I play it, but some of the challenges have taken me a LOT of time to pass. It's all good though...I always loved the Tony Hawk games (up through Project 8), and this is helping satisfy my recent need to play a good skateboarding game.

After playing this game for awhile, and watching some of the trick montage videos for it on youtube, I can't even comprehend the amount of hours some of these guys put into this game to get as good as they are at it.

my movie store doesn't have Brink yet so I had to get Left 4 dead 2 not really into to it

Best played with friends... never play it alone... it really should say on the box "FOR OPTIMAL GAMING EXPERIENCE FIND 3 FRIENDS TO PLAY WITH". That game is pretty stupid if you are playing it solo, but i love it anyway..

They are offering it once the PS store is back up and running again. Only thing working right now is online gaming. They are offering 2 of 4 ps3 games and 2 of 4 psp games.

PS3:

infamous

Super Stardust HD

Wipeout HD + Fury

Dead Nation

(and apparently they just recently added LittleBigPlanet)

PSP:

Little Big Planet

Modnation Racers

Pursuit Force

Killzone Liberation

During the original announcement they only had 4 games for each platform but apparently they just added LBP for ps3 as well... great game i def highly recommend it.

Also to note they are planning on having the PS store back up and running by tomorrow supposedly. Another note is they will only be available to download for free for the first 30 days... after that you wont be able to grab them but once you have them they can be kept forever.