Video Game Thread.

Doom Saber

Holy crap, look at me, I finally figured out how to do multi quotes! whoop whoop!

This PSN problem sucks, I'm on mine all the time and I can't play my new PSN buddies Rocktheplank and EvilHayato @grumpy@ this makes me sad. Whoever is hackin the network please stop haha! I have an Xbox too but hardly ever play it because I refuse to pay for online play when the PS3 offers it for free. :) Oh well I guess I'll go practice by myself with my girls Sonya and Kitana. @luv@

Well, the reason PSN sucks is because it's free. ;)

Ha Ha DJ you must be a hardcore Xbox guy? Don't get me wrong I like the Xbox but I'm just a Sony guy. :)

@lol@

Nah...I used to be a huge Playstation fan. I just think Xbox has a big advantage over it when it comes to their online stuff.

Just like anything related to technology, if it's free, it's usually not as good as something you have to pay for. Running an online service cost money, and Xbox has a ton of income in that department from the subscriptions that they charge for, and I'm more than happy with what they provide, given that price.

Ive had my 360 for forever and had to replace it twice, one due to RRoD and the other due to my stupidity and I still prefer my 360 over ps3. I like my ps3 but its also the instance of if you are paying for one, why primarily play on the one you arent. You definitely get what you pay for tho. I am always chatting with friends online while playing other games or the same games. You cant really do that with the PS3. Some games you cant even chat in! But I mainly have my ps3 for its exclusives, mostly on the single player side. I only bought mk for kratos and to play with fighting friends that dont have a 360. Also whenever Im on my 360 i have at least 20 friends on almost at all times. I think I just barely have 20 friends total on my ps3 and usually no one.. i mean NO ONE is online when Im on, which is usually anytime. The online xbox community just cant be beat. Ironically I was a huge sony fanboy up UNTIL the ps3 came out. never had an xbox until its last half year of life and just modded the hell out of it.

I'll be picking up MK this week just wanted to finish getting 2 achievements in Homefront before trading that horrible game in.

I did play Crysis 2 and have to say that game was amazing, but once again the multi player was so disappointing.

Right now I'm playing Spider-man: Shattered Dimensions, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 (with a buddy), Bulletstorm, and finishing up Crysis 2 on the hardest difficulty. Man I love having 3 day weekends to stay locked up in my room, lol.

Just to give you some of my opinions on the games you listed. Shattered Dimensions was fun but got alittle repetitive, but i loved the amount of spidey villains they fit in there. They have a psuedo sequel coming out that just has 2099 and classic in it. I m glad I borrowed the game though, there wasnt really any replay after you beat the game. MUA2 was a huge letdown for me. I enjoyed it for the most part but it wasnt as impressive or memorable as MUA1 was and most of the levels felt the same. I liked the cast for the most part but I think the DLC cast was much more interesting than say iron fist, luke cage and ms marvel... ehh. Bulletstorm I hear is fun but gets tiresome trying to come up with unique killshots. Seemed pretty fun on the demo tho. And I really want to check out Crysis 2, looks amazing.

This PSN problem sucks, I'm on mine all the time and I can't play my new PSN buddies Rocktheplank and EvilHayato @grumpy@ this makes me sad. Whoever is hackin the network please stop haha! I have an Xbox too but hardly ever play it because I refuse to pay for online play when the PS3 offers it for free. :) Oh well I guess I'll go practice by myself with my girls Sonya and Kitana. @luv@

Yeah, I didn't check to see if it was still down this morning, but I assume it still is. Kinda sucks, but you do get what you pay for. I don't want to get into xbox vs ps3, but I've got both (all three including the wii) and PS3 is by far my favorite. I was never a playstation guy, full on xbox all the way until my 360 broke less then a year out, and I didn't even play it that much to begin with. I bought a PS3 and never looked back. Sure its online isn't as great (this is really the first time I've been inconvienced by it since I got it xmas 09) but I just HATE xbox's "pay for play" "batteries sold seperately" mentality. Prime example, PS3 controllers are rechargeable... xbox you need to either keep buying batteries or plop down more cash for recharging capability.. just crappy is all.

Im actually not a fan of the PS3 controllers. I like having the option of getting into my controllers batteries and having the choice of either using AAs or rechargeable. With the PS3 there is no choice, you have to charge them. So if your battery life goes out altogether you have to peform surgery on it and hope to god to find an actual replacement, or just go and pay fo50 bucks for a new controller. Also the cord that attaches to the controllers for the rechargeable on 360 is like 10 feet. The USB cords you get with the PS3 controllers are horrible, they only go about 2 feet, maybe, and their battery life is super horrible. Just over the time Ive put into MK Ive had to charge one of my controllers at least once, and I havent been playing that often.

So, anyways, after losing a couple of matches, I just kept spamming Lui Kang's low fireball. Kahn seems to be coded to throw his spear anytime a player uses a projectile attack, so he just stood across the screen from me, launching his spear, and occasionally blocking my low fireball. Just did it over and over again until he was dead. Pretty dumb you can beat him like that, and also pretty stupid that they made him so cheap that you're forced to beat him with cheese tactics. Then again, the old MKs were like that too.

I am exactly here where I fight Kahn as Kang. I was getting a little annoyed with it and it was getting late, so I quit but now that you mention this technique, I will need to try it again. The first time I got to him on the ladder match, I just used Raiden and kept sending out my lighting bolts over and over again. I almost got a flawless victory.

K...finally beat it...for those of you who get there...remember, teleport/uppercut is your friend. :P

The second time I got to him on the ladder as Raiden, I used this approach the whole time. Again, I almost got a flawless victory. Personally I try not to play like this, it's no fun for the person you are playing against, but since it is a computer I don't feel crappy for using cheap move over and over again. One thing I don't care for is using those moves that block you in a corner or gets you in a trap to use the same thing over and over, that's no fun for anyone.

DarthJoe, I assume you are playing on 360?

Trying to not reveal anyspoilers, I'm currently right before you fight Shao Kahn where I just fought Scorpion. So far its a bit tough from the little I started with it. Shao Kahn seems to fall for Cross Ups alot which is how I beat him in arcade mode. For those that dont know what Im talking about its when you attack right as you go over the character so it confuses the block and leaves them open. Its very typical in most fighting games and really started in Street Fighter. He also seems to be programmed to spam projectiles if you are across the screen so I do hardcore rushdown on him so hes not too far away from me. Also DJ did you say you beat it on the hardest difficulty?

I am exactly here where I fight Kahn as Kang. I was getting a little annoyed with it and it was getting late, so I quit but now that you mention this technique, I will need to try it again.

Ya, if you do the move fast enough, it just keeps Liu Kang crouched, and all of Kahn's projectiles miss him.

DarthJoe, I assume you are playing on 360?

Ya, I don't have a PS3.

Shao Kahn seems to fall for Cross Ups alot which is how I beat him in arcade mode.

Ya, I noticed this too, but on the harder difficulties, the trick is even getting the advantage on him, because he spams his attacks so fast.

I also read something that said cross up combos that start with a button+directional input are broke right now. The air strike will land, along with the first hit of the combo, but nothing after that will work. Cross-ups that DON'T start with a button+directional input still work though.

For instance, if you have a combo that is <- + X, X, B...and you try using a cross up to start it off, the air strike will land, along with the <- + X, but the other X, B portion of the combo won't go off.

I haven't tried it since I read this last night, but I guess it's a confirmed bug.

Also DJ did you say you beat it on the hardest difficulty?

No, I beat story mode on medium, and I've got to Shao Kahn on Hard (not expert) a few times and quit out of frustration/boredom, because of his cheapness. @lol@

I've been working on the challenge tower since I beat story mode. Right now I'm stuck on the Cyrax/Liu Kang fight where you play as Cyrax and lose 2% of your damage for every attack you do. I can get Kang down to around 33% but always run out of time because my combos are only doing 2-4% damage to him at that point. If anyone has any tips for this fight, I'd appreciate it.

I also read a post last night, where someone used Sektor to get the achievement for beating the game on expert with no continues. He said all he did was use his teleport uppercut, into the kick-kick-teleport uppercut combo again and again, and destroyed everything in the game with it, including Shao Kahn. Was gonna give this a try tonight to get the achievement.

Shao Kahn seems to fall for Cross Ups alot which is how I beat him in arcade mode.

Ya, I noticed this too, but on the harder difficulties, the trick is even getting the advantage on him, because he spams his attacks so fast.

I also read something that said cross up combos that start with a button+directional input are broke right now. The air strike will land, along with the first hit of the combo, but nothing after that will work. Cross-ups that DON'T start with a button+directional input still work though.

For instance, if you have a combo that is <- + X, X, B...and you try using a cross up to start it off, the air strike will land, along with the <- + X, but the other X, B portion of the combo won't go off.

I haven't tried it since I read this last night, but I guess it's a confirmed bug.

Also DJ did you say you beat it on the hardest difficulty?

No, I beat story mode on medium, and I've got to Shao Kahn on Hard (not expert) a few times and quit out of frustration/boredom, because of his cheapness. @lol@

I've been working on the challenge tower since I beat story mode. Right now I'm stuck on the Cyrax/Liu Kang fight where you play as Cyrax and lose 2% of your damage for every attack you do. I can get Kang down to around 33% but always run out of time because my combos are only doing 2-4% damage to him at that point. If anyone has any tips for this fight, I'd appreciate it.

I also read a post last night, where someone used Sektor to get the achievement for beating the game on expert with no continues. He said all he did was use his teleport uppercut, into the kick-kick-teleport uppercut combo again and again, and destroyed everything in the game with it, including Shao Kahn. Was gonna give this a try tonight to get the achievement.

Finally beat story mode. I gotta say, that last fight wasnt very hard. I lost twice and then whooped him. I had alot harder time with the Liu Kang fight than the Raiden one and I played through on medium. Shao Kahn is pretty easy if you have a teleport character because he does a move that leaves him sooooooo open and you teleport just as he does it and you can drill him with just about anything. Only problem is sometimes he does his boss buff where your hits dont affect him and he goes right through them. I just stay far away from him to force him to use a projectile then as he does it i teleport and hit him with uppercut/combo/x-ray and then either cross up away or tele away. Works pretty well. Also to note, I really started hating Lui Kang even more as I went through story mode, even more so towards the end. Ive never really been a big fan of him, (was ecstatic when they killed him in Deadly Alliance. He also makes a better zombie than a living character).

As with the challenge tower, Ive only messed with it up to about level 60 and havent attacked it in a while. I was really addicted to the story mode. I also going through arcade mode beating it with everyone and then onto harder things like expert and such. Also Im not sure but I think you can do it the classic old school way of doing the no continues on hard where you if you start to lose a match you have 2 player interrupt and fight to keep you alive. Im also wondering if you can do it with 2 player tag arcade.

I didnt know about the cross up problem as i tend to use old school combo tactics from mk3/umk3 where you jump in and then start up the combo. I dont usually start up a combo with directions unless im starting it on the ground.

Also Im not sure how I feel about the storys' ending, It was cool but definitely dont feel any kind of closure or achievement from it. But it was pretty amazing overall and I loved seeing the old characters in new light as well as some origins to others. ie.cyrax/sektor

http://www.trmk.org/...Fatality-inputs Hey if anyone needs some codes here's a good place to find them. Good luck. MK9 Kodes

Thanks for the link man!

Am I the only one finding that between the story mode and looking up what is in the krypt online, the money system is kind of pointless? I've got all the alternate costumes and finishers I can buy, and I've still got 90K left over. Just makes it feel kind of unnecessary.

http://www.trmk.org/...Fatality-inputs Hey if anyone needs some codes here's a good place to find them. Good luck. MK9 Kodes

Thanks for the link man!

Am I the only one finding that between the story mode and looking up what is in the krypt online, the money system is kind of pointless? I've got all the alternate costumes and finishers I can buy, and I've still got 90K left over. Just makes it feel kind of unnecessary.

whats funny is you dont even have to buy the fatalities to use them. If you know how to do them and input the commands, they are automatically unlocked and show up in your moves list. What I find weird is you dont unlock babalities and stage fatalities, you have to find them online and then input them to unlock. You also dont have to buy the alternate costumes, you just have to beat arcade mode with that character and then go to kryptopolis or whatever it was called and go to that specific character to unlock the costume and model in the viewer.

had to send MK back I am now sad not just because of the game but because I'm sick of the royal wedding stuff we getit the prince is marrying a woman that's great but quit reminding me @grumpy@

ATTN to PSN users, you all should read this. http://www.joystiq.c...fo-hopes-to-ha/

Wow, thats just an awesome read. Thanks for the post! Oh PS3, just when I was singing your praises you make me eat my words... thanks. Oh well, nothing I can really do but just sit and wait like everyone else.

So my wife and I played for about, I dunno, and hour and a half straight to beat Kahn on the final fight, but it was a no go. Couple of close calls, the teleport and uppercut works pretty well, just gotta be real quick. We'll give it another try tomorrow.

Anyone been working it with Kratos? I've given him a try, he seems ok, but I cant get a good rhythm going with him.

Anyone been working it with Kratos? I've given him a try, he seems ok, but I cant get a good rhythm going with him.

I actually dont think Kratos is all that good and I got to say with all the hype they had for his fatals, they are pretty damn weak. You do worse to the enemies in the actual god of war games. The only forgiving thing is his stage, its amazing. It has 3 different options to fatal someone in.

I've yet to even try the single player mode, is it any good?

Most all COD single player campaign modes are amazing, this one was good but alot more confusing compared to the previous CODs. Its good but not amazing and if youve only been playing multiplayer you ll recognize a few spots as you go through it.

ATTN to PSN users, you all should read this. http://www.joystiq.c...fo-hopes-to-ha/

Freaking Sony... All that money and you cant even protect your customers... I dont get why it took them so long to let us know that our info has been compromised... Might as well start the massive lawsuit now...

I guess we get what we pay for.... #Granade#

back to black ops :(

I've yet to even try the single player mode, is it any good?

on Black Ops the campaign is good but the fact you can't skip certain cutscenes is annoying still awesome storyline and gameplay

Freaking Sony... All that money and you cant even protect your customers... I dont get why it took them so long to let us know that our info has been compromised... Might as well start the massive lawsuit now...

To be fair, even the Pentagon has been hacked and it SHOULD be the most secure network around. It sucks that Sony was hacked, but it's an unfortunate side effect of everything going online. I just canceled the card online, and went through and changed out all my passwords on all the other sites I use.

What I'm baffled by is people who say they aren't mad at the hackers, just Sony. Wait. What?! It's unfortunate malicious people are out there and do unscrupulous acts such as this, but it's never going to stop. Building a better firewall makes a better hacker. On the plus side I haven't heard any reports of anyone finding large charges on their accounts or cards and I believe that as many people as there are on the network - it would have been heard by now.

As far as waiting this long to tell us - according to their site, Sony informed the consumer base of the possible intrusion on private information shortly after they figured it out themselves. But, aside from a now deactivated debit card number, hackers have my first name, zip code, and birthday. All public knowledge.

Hopefully, Sony will learn from this and build a better security system. And I don't really see what a lawsuit will do. They were hacked, which was a crime against them, and informed their clientele all the ways to keep from getting burned.

It's like blaming the bank when it gets robbed.

some kid on XBOX did it LMAFO people take they're gaming to seriously me I just spend my days on the internet for I have no life @loll@

To be fair, even the Pentagon has been hacked and it SHOULD be the most secure network around. It sucks that Sony was hacked, but it's an unfortunate side effect of everything going online. I just canceled the card online, and went through and changed out all my passwords on all the other sites I use.

What I'm baffled by is people who say they aren't mad at the hackers, just Sony. Wait. What?! It's unfortunate malicious people are out there and do unscrupulous acts such as this, but it's never going to stop. Building a better firewall makes a better hacker. On the plus side I haven't heard any reports of anyone finding large charges on their accounts or cards and I believe that as many people as there are on the network - it would have been heard by now.

As far as waiting this long to tell us - according to their site, Sony informed the consumer base of the possible intrusion on private information shortly after they figured it out themselves. But, aside from a now deactivated debit card number, hackers have my first name, zip code, and birthday. All public knowledge.

Hopefully, Sony will learn from this and build a better security system. And I don't really see what a lawsuit will do. They were hacked, which was a crime against them, and informed their clientele all the ways to keep from getting burned.

It's like blaming the bank when it gets robbed.

Nah... Its more like blaming the bank for someone stealing your safety deposit box and not telling you until days later...

I understand that these things can happen to any company... But Sony should have sent out emails to notify their customers... I still havent received an email from Sony...

rented Bulletstorm the Dialouge makes me laugh alotthe weird thing is the main character Gray looks exactly like Wolverine and has Steve Blum as a voice actor

I think thats what they were going for spystreak. They couldnt think of any other way to make a gruff sunuvabitch type character so they went with a familiar one. Kind of unoriginal IMO.

So this is crazy.... there are a CRAP TON of fighting games being released in the next year or so. So far we have Street Fighter X Tekken, Tekken X Street Fighter, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, A new Blazblue, King of Fighter 13, Super Street Fighter IVs arcade edition update, there's a new update to Virtua Fighter coming and now there is rumor and speculation that Namco is going to be announcing a new Soul Calibur in mid May. They already have a teaser website up that's counting down to about the same time. And this isn't even counting the fact that we already got Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and Mortal Kombat already released! This is craziness. I don't think there's ever been this many fighters come out in the same year ever. I don't know if Im happy or sad about this, I mean I love love love fighting games, but I like having alot of time on them before I go on to the next big thing and then always love coming back to them. This seems almost like an inflation of fighting games. Recent years we would barely have 1 or 2 big hit fighters come out in a single year, now we have a mind blowing amount of them hitting at once. I hope Namco spreads their games out within like 6 months of each other or else they are going to be competing with themselves since they have 3 big fighters planned.

finally started playing fabels two its been in shrinkwrap still all this time ... I brought it for sale around $15 or something I think way way way way way back

@loll@ game looks hugee! I am not very far yet & still figuring out how everything works! I love having a dog/pet though that is awesome! This game gives me a "diablo" type feeling to it honestly not really sure why

...and now there is rumor and speculation that Namco is going to be announcing a new Soul Calibur in mid May.

NICE!

Mortal Kombat has a special place in my heart, and I love the new one for all of the nostalgia it's giving me, but I'm all about Soul Calibur. Best fighting game EVER, IMO.

Modern Warfare 2 is now 60 BUCKS AT WALL MART WTF so much for a new copy stinkin Butt pirates that did that need to be fed to a dinosaur