Video Game Thread.

Doom Saber

damn i ordered green lantern classics wave 2 and now i am out of cash for mortal kombat. the guy says he keeps the game on the side until i come. he also had a collectors edition of mortal kombat with a statue of scorpion and sub zero. looks ok but i am over these collectors items that come with games. i prefer collecting figures.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! Mortal Kombat is soooooooo AWESOME!!!!!! Love it! Love It! Love it! I play on PS3 and my screen name is toysniper1 if you wanna play? Friend me and test your might!!! :)

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! Mortal Kombat is soooooooo AWESOME!!!!!! Love it! Love It! Love it! I play on PS3 and my screen name is toysniper1 if you wanna play? Friend me and test your might!!! :)

I'd be down to play sometime, Im at work now, but my screen name is Polar3000

do i have the best girlfriend or what. when i talked to her about the game, she just went out and got it for me. she says that it is my egg for eastern lol. so now i have to find something for her too. i know that she loves motorstorm. maybe i get her that. cant wait to get home tonight and make some fatalities. are the babynalities still in the game? i loved them when they turned to little babys. lol lol.

do i have the best girlfriend or what. when i talked to her about the game, she just went out and got it for me. she says that it is my egg for eastern lol. so now i have to find something for her too. i know that she loves motorstorm. maybe i get her that. cant wait to get home tonight and make some fatalities. are the babynalities still in the game? i loved them when they turned to little babys. lol lol.

Yeah the babalities are in it, you have to unlock the fatalities in the game unless you already know them. No friendships tho, :( They start off with one primary fatality for everyone thats available, but there is a second fatality, a stage fatality, and a babality to unlock. I actually bought MK for the PS3 this time. First fighter on my PS3, the rest are all on my 360. My name is the same as my name on here but with a space. Evil_Hayato

Doom, you are welcome for the crit. Im sure it will turn out even more awesome.

I'd be down to play sometime, Im at work now, but my screen name is Polar3000

Cool Polar3000 I'll friend you, you'll probably kick my butt . Hey it'll be "bloody" fun though :)

I'd like to see someone get all 1000 gamer points on Mortal Kombat for the Xbox.

Not only are some of the online achievements ridiculous, but the achievement "My Kung Fu Is Stronger" is asking that you dedicate your life to this game. In order to get the achievement, you have to "Gain Mastery of all Fighters." Gaining mastery of a fighter means doing this:

100 victories

100 "-alities"

150 X-Rays landed

10,000 pints of blood spilled

24 hours (1 day) playing time

So, with 26 playable characters in the game, that's a minimum of 26 days (624 hours) of play time you have to invest to get the achievement...not to mention this means actually PLAYING the character, and not all the time in load screens and whatnot. I can't think of any other 360 game I own that has an achievement that requires you to put anywhere close to this amount of time into the game...

I'd like to see someone get all 1000 gamer points on Mortal Kombat for the Xbox.

Not only are some of the online achievements ridiculous, but the achievement "My Kung Fu Is Stronger" is asking that you dedicate your life to this game. In order to get the achievement, you have to "Gain Mastery of all Fighters." Gaining mastery of a fighter means doing this:

100 victories

100 "-alities"

150 X-Rays landed

So, with 26 playable characters in the game, that's a minimum of 26 days (624 hours) of play time you have to invest to get the achievement...not to mention this means actually PLAYING the character, and not all the time in load screens and whatnot. I can't think of any other 360 game I own that has an achievement that requires you to put anywhere close to this amount of time into the game...

Damn I was wondering what the hell they meant by gaining "mastery" of a fighter.. Its safe to say I wont be getting the all fighters mastery. Its possible I may for the single character but doubtful, with how I play my fighters, I like to learn alot if not all the characters and switch them up all the time.

100 victories

100 "-alities"

150 X-Rays landed

Damn I was wondering what the hell they meant by gaining "mastery" of a fighter.. Its safe to say I wont be getting the all fighters mastery. Its possible I may for the single character but doubtful, with how I play my fighters, I like to learn alot if not all the characters and switch them up all the time.

Ya, I don't understand why they even bother putting achievements like this in games. I thought achievements were supposed to be a fun way of getting some extra replay value out of a game...not to make the game a freaking job. @lol@

It's funny how games have come full circle with the whole achievement thing. When the Xbox first came out, it was super easy to get all 1000 points for most of the games...and now it's getting to the point where it's near impossible to get more than 700 of the points with some of the online achievements requiring you to practically be the best in the world at the game to get them...and achievements like the MK one I mentioned above.

Just found this cartoon online, and thought everyone here would appreciate it:

1259200457_kBbnNFz-L.jpg

Man, I hate that feeling. @lol@

Mortal Kombat is amazing @fight@ still haven't figured out the whole X-ray thing or most special attacks but I've got Scorpion's Split decision memorised (forward down forward Y) and got my ass kicked by Shao Kahn 8 times persistence in the end payed off and I finally killed him with a swift kick to the head

Ya, I don't understand why they even bother putting achievements like this in games. I thought achievements were supposed to be a fun way of getting some extra replay value out of a game...not to make the game a freaking job. @lol@

Alot of achievements are jobs. They are meaningless tasks to get you nowhere but bragging rights. I mean crap, most games ive played in the past few years all have a "collect all of these lame things" achievement. I at first was like thats cool, i tend to play games where i scour the whole level just to find stuff and look around, but some ive played are just ridiculous as to how much you have to search. Those types are getting ridiculous in games these days. I do miss the days of cheat codes and hidden surprises.... now they are just achievments/trophies and DLC respectively. I love achievements when they are fun/challenging but not impossible. Like I always loved the achievement in COD3 i think it was, where you went through a level with just your fists/knife/grenades and never firing a shot. It was fun and challenging. If its too much to ask for I just say eff it and go on with other things. People get too OCD about 100% completion sometimes. Do it if you like the game and you have fun doing it, dont do it if you are hating life to do it, its just meaningless... thats at least how i feel about the subject.

MORTAL KOMBAT

why doesnt the game start like this? lol. with all the yelling? i loved that in the movie lol. i played that thing into the early morning and woah so awesome. it is fluid, fast, amazing. it has all my favorite characters. i don't know how manny matches i played but it was 2 in the morning until i went to bed. cant wait to get home and play some more. my favorite is reptile like always. still i see that i have a lot of catching up to do because i dont remember all the moves from back in the days. finaly an awesome mortal kombat again. it was time. i dont play the game to unlock everything either because it makes it just boring. i will try to open everything in the crypt but thats about it. finish the story mode and go as far as i can with my favorite characters but thats about it. if i remember correctly batman arkham was the only game i got 98% finished with all the riddles and everything. all the other games i achive 60 to 70% of them and i am done.

I thought I was getting pretty good, pulling off some 7-hit juggle combos with Kung Lao...then I watched this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1xELxIZxF0

I dont know if you guys know this, but the game has 4 hidden combatants to fight like back in mk1-mk2 days. They are actually the same characters. Some are more impossible to fight than others. Jade you have to double flawless and fatality Shang Tsung to fight her while if you see smoke in the living forest you just push down and select/back. In order to fight noob you have to see him in the temple (where a priest usually is sacrificing someone) and then dont block both rounds and you fight him. And lastly is reptile where if you see santa floating past the moon you have to double flawless and fatality to fight him at the bottom of the pit. Its sweet to note that all of them are in their classic style. i.e. Noob is ALL black. NOTE: you have to do all of this in Arcade mode only.

Also to note, the combos in this game are all about timing and precision. Once you get that down with a character you can really build on it and rock some face. I did an 11 hit on Shao Kahn last night which was pretty fun. I juggled that bastard so bad.

Also to note, the combos in this game are all about timing and precision. Once you get that down with a character you can really build on it and rock some face. I did an 11 hit on Shao Kahn last night which was pretty fun. I juggled that bastard so bad.

My problem comes with being able to input the commands for their special attacks fast enough, and precise enough to help string the juggle combos together. Like in the Mileena video above how he's using her roll attack & sai throw, or for instance, some of the Scorpion videos I've seen where they're using his teleport over and over again to juggle.

Being able to input the command fast enough to jump-kick/punch and then go right into the move, without messing up the command is a pain in the ass on the 360 controller. The directional pad on the controller sucks, so I'm pretty much forced to use the analog stick, which can result in a quarter-circle move not going off...not to mention the extra distance it takes to push an analog stick verses tapping a direction pad.

I'm getting better though...just need to practice more. :P

My problem comes with being able to input the commands for their special attacks fast enough, and precise enough to help string the juggle combos together. Like in the Mileena video above how he's using her roll attack & sai throw, or for instance, some of the Scorpion videos I've seen where they're using his teleport over and over again to juggle.

Being able to input the command fast enough to jump-kick/punch and then go right into the move, without messing up the command is a pain in the ass on the 360 controller. The directional pad on the controller sucks, so I'm pretty much forced to use the analog stick, which can result in a quarter-circle move not going off...not to mention the extra distance it takes to push an analog stick verses tapping a direction pad.

I'm getting better though...just need to practice more. :P

With the scorpion part, they are EX-ing the move. They are using up one bar of their meter to amp up the special move to get more hits/damage. Same with some of the mileena stuff. When you EX the specials, it sometimes completely changes the moves properties. Also with the combos you can cancel into specials as you are comboing so it makes it easy to throw out a special as soon as you are into the combo. Im a big fighting game nut, so this is very standard to me. The game provides a pretty in depth amount of training modes which is really impressive. Having fatality, tag team and some other training modes is pretty amazing.

This is my first time playing a fighting game with the PS3 controller and so far I dont mind it. The analog on it is pretty worthless with this game but the digital works quite well.. Its very much the opposite for me with the 360 tho. I am not a big fan of their digital pad as it is pretty flat but usually I switch between both to accommodate which move Im doing. It tends to vary as it can be a bit difficult to pull off with the other stick. Alot of people complain about the 360 controller for fighting games but Ive adjusted pretty well with it. I play it half casual and half arcade style. I hold the left side like a standard controller and push the buttons like you would an arcade stick. Seems to Work pretty well for me.

7 hit combo, i am getting better lol. a great thing is that you can learn the moves in the training mode. that was missing from other games. street fighter got an artbook out of street fighter 4, is there something similar to mortal kombat? i wouldnt mind having one based on this game.

Ran through the first 20 levels of the training mode, very nice. Im NEVER a training mode kind of guy, but its actually been fun and I did learn a few things and it lets me play as characters that normally I wouldn't have messed with, so that has been nice. Plus you can still accumulate points to be spent buying more fatalities and what not (I finally looked up what is what in the krypt, I can't stand getting more concept art) Im having a lot of fun with this game, unfortunately the playstation network is still down and I can't connect to play online.

Hey toysniper, great few matches we had the other day. I was letting my wife play you a few times, shes not bad but I am guilty of letting her win a few times. Anyhow, if I see you online this weekend, I am down for a few more matches!

EvilHayato, I am going to add you as a friend whenever I can sign back on, Im polar3000

Did anyone get any of the exclusive retro costumes? They have scorpion, sub zero, reptile, ermac, kitana, mileena and jades retro outfits. Some varied on where you pre ordered. Ermac was with all the special editions and jades is available in both the blu ray releases of the mk movies. Scorpion, Sub Zero and Reptile actually came with classic fatalities as well. I got Reptile from Amazon and I must say, he looks badass and well worth it. I want the others too! haha. hopefully future DLC? was hoping they were just pre unlocks in the actual game but it doesnt seem that way. Mileena actually has 4 outfits in total which is insane. was hearing about a 5th one but that may only be rumor.

@Shokker - There is an art book that came with the Kollectors Edition but it looked like one of the typical small art books that most CEs come with these days. Im a huge video game art book collector but when they do those small books, I just cant deal with it anymore. Too damn small and they dont go well with my collection since it just fits in the damn game case. Ive been ripped off by those far too many times.

@RockthePlank - Sounds good. Its kind of ironic that the first time using my PS3 in a good few months, and sony gets this network problem that prevents me from getting online. Go figure.

Did anyone get any of the exclusive retro costumes? They have scorpion, sub zero, reptile, ermac, kitana, mileena and jades retro outfits. Some varied on where you pre ordered. Ermac was with all the special editions and jades is available in both the blu ray releases of the mk movies. Scorpion, Sub Zero and Reptile actually came with classic fatalities as well. I got Reptile from Amazon and I must say, he looks badass and well worth it. I want the others too! haha. hopefully future DLC? was hoping they were just pre unlocks in the actual game but it doesnt seem that way. Mileena actually has 4 outfits in total which is insane. was hearing about a 5th one but that may only be rumor.

@Shokker - There is an art book that came with the Kollectors Edition but it looked like one of the typical small art books that most CEs come with these days. Im a huge video game art book collector but when they do those small books, I just cant deal with it anymore. Too damn small and they dont go well with my collection since it just fits in the damn game case. Ive been ripped off by those far too many times.

@RockthePlank - Sounds good. Its kind of ironic that the first time using my PS3 in a good few months, and sony gets this network problem that prevents me from getting online. Go figure.

thanks man. i checked google a litle bit and i saw a complete guide of the new game. most of the time they have great pictures in it. sadly they did not show any page of it.

i have kratos from god of war in my game. is that normal??? lol. why is he there? is that something like soul calibur and the star wars characters?

thanks man. i checked google a litle bit and i saw a complete guide of the new game. most of the time they have great pictures in it. sadly they did not show any page of it.

i have kratos from god of war in my game. is that normal??? lol. why is he there? is that something like soul calibur and the star wars characters?

Hes a PS3 exclusive character along with him there is a God of War level that has a level specific fatality(there is actually 3 diff fatals for the level) And no there is nothing exclusive on the xbox360. He fits really well in the series and its just another way to attract more people to buy it for the PS3, which is why I bought it on the PS3 instead of 360. Also to play friends that only have ps3s. This isnt the first time Kratos has been in a fighting game though. He was in the psp Soul Calibur but didnt feel as good as he does here with the mature content.