If you were remaking the Original Trilogy today

revsears

I loved the original trilogy as a kid. I gotta be honest to you Star Wars fans, i hate the new trilogy. It actually has pretty muched ruined star wars over all for me. I'm not here to debate that. I was daydreaming the other day and thought maybe in 10-20 years the ot will get remade. It's bound to one day, the tech keeps getting better, the old movies look dated now, even lucas wants some 3 D action going on with Star wars. I think the way our own tech has advanced it would probably reflect on the Star wars tech.

So what would you change? Just designs? Serious story line changes or twists? maybe characters ages or backstories a bit. Heck "starbucking" someone. I'm just curious because i've heard a lot of opinions on the new trilogy, how to make them different, but i can't recall anything about changing up the old.

I would eliminate any Luke/Leia love thing, that does not fly with me. You need increased action, the first movie's fight scene was lame, Obi is old but he needs to still fight better. Also the cheesy bar aliens would need a nice update. I would start the movie off with Vader hunting and killing what he believes is the last Jedi. Lastly, I would show the emperor in some fashion.

PS, no Ben Kenobi, what kind of alas is that to use when hiding from the entire Empire

I would eliminate any Luke/Leia love thing, that does not fly with me. You need increased action, the first movie's fight scene was lame, Obi is old but he needs to still fight better. Also the cheesy bar aliens would need a nice update. I would start the movie off with Vader hunting and killing what he believes is the last Jedi. Lastly, I would show the emperor in some fashion.

PS, no Ben Kenobi, what kind of alas is that to use when hiding from the entire Empire

Dude the movie came out in 1977 I was 11 We all thought it was a great scene

For me I NEVER would remake anything and leave the origional Trilogy as i\s

Except for Special Editions

Lucas could of put in the scens with Biggs on Tataooine

Dude the movie came out in 1977 I was 11 We all thought it was a great scene

For me I NEVER would remake anything and leave the origional Trilogy as i\s

Except for Special Editions

Lucas could of put in the scens with Biggs on Tataooine

but what if you had to? what if that was your only way of getting bread and butter, there is nothing you would change?

We don't have to revsears

If they did do it I would never watch them ....I would put them on a list of movies I would never watch which includes Thelma and Louise and Brokeback Mountain

It's true we don't have to and I'm usally not a fan of remakes, but this is a case where I've grown to dislike the franchise so much that I think it could help.

for me:

1. No luke/leia flirtation.

2. C-3P0 needs to be able to move. We have real robots today that can outmove him.

3. Luke's training needs to take more time. I'd send him there at the end of the first movie, and in the 2nd have flashbacks tell the complete story with Yoda. (no coming back to yoda in Jedi. I know that could cause problems because Luke needs to be there at Hoth right? I agree He can just arrive as the movie begins, in nice new black robes and clearly changed. Maybe even a message from yoda to the rebel leaders.

4. no overall happy ending. The empire shouldn't be overthrown by Just the emperor, it should be a victory but bad guys would keep fighting. Luke and Leia

I'm sure I'll think of more later. but for now it's bedtime.

Only thing I would do is change some of the dialog so it meshes better with the Prequels.

How about changing some of the Prequels so it better matches the Originals?

There's no doubt that the OT has some real cheese, but I shudder to think what else Lucas might do to those films if he had his druthers. I think the special editions already start to get a little carried away, and I'm sure he'd add in Jar Jar's little nephew or something "for the kids" if he could.

I will admit, Ray Park set some very high standards for light saber battles in Phantom Menace, and it is sort of sad to watch the "epic" battle between Luke and Vader now. On the flip side, I give it some leeway in that Vader is now much older and fairly out of practice while Luke has had very little real training with his saber. Neither are at the peak of their game when they meet in ESB or even ROTJ.

Frankly, the biggest problem with the prequels visually is it's too "effecty". I never thought I'd say it, but the last Star Trek movie does a better job with most of their effects imo. Having real sets for actors to interact with, instead of enormous green rooms with random platforms, and using models for ships all add something that seems to be missing from the prequels. Then again, I think WETA does better sfx than ILM at this point, they have a certain realism compared to the shiny rendering of ILM (ironic considering ILM actually did Star Trek though :o ).

So, while it might be nice to see some of the effects spruced up, I wouldn't want them redone completely with computers.

Only thing I would do is change some of the dialog so it meshes better with the Prequels.

How about changing some of the Prequels so it better matches the Originals

^^^^ This.

The original SW movies are some of the best loved movies of all time and there's a very good reason for that.

The big, flowery lightsabre battles of the prequels are no reason to think the original ones were "lame". Those techniques were based on actual swordfighting tactics. Personally I think they went a bit overboard on the prequels. There's a lot more emotional content to the OT lightsabre battles, too.

Probably the only minor point I have with the original Star Wars movie is the omission of Biggs. Two scenes in particular - the one where Luke says "Biggs is right, I'm never gonna get out of this place" and the scene (SPOILER ALERT! ;) ) where Biggs dies at the end would make a lot more sense if we saw that scene where Luke and he spoke on Tatooine, establishing their close friendship and further explaning the nature of the Empire and the Rebellion.

Otherwise, it makes a lot more sense to rework the prequels... Heck, just redo them completely. Vader was not "already a great pilot" when Ben met him, Yoda was not the "Jedi Master who taught him" (I don't know about you, but that line makes me think Ben was Yoda's padawan, not that Yoda was basically the Jedi kindergarten teacher), and there certainly was no need to "force" links between C3PO and Vader, or include Boba Fett (ugh, as a bratty kid). The general "feel" of the movie, due to the heavy use of CGI and even the overuse of John Williams (are there any quiet moments in the film???), could have been much closer to the originals either.

I don't know. I much prefer the Clone Wars stuff and Episode III to the first two prequels, which frankly seemed like a waste of a story. I mean, who really cared about Anakin as a 9-year-old or Naboo? And that's when he was supposed to fall in love with Padme, really? The midicholorian thing was completely unnecessary and took away from the key fantasy aspect of the first films, (why would Han Solo and those Imperial officers in the first movie think of the Force as a "religion" if there was ample scientific evidence for it???).

You don't even need to factor in the poor acting/non-existent chemistry, Jar-Jar or "Yippee!" elements to have a good case for remaking the prequels, but I can't think of ANY reason to remake the originals.

Though I bet George can ($$$).

Dude, if you had no idea she was your sister, you'd try too. Any guy who says he wouldn't is a liar.

I would not want them to remake those movies either but there is not a chance they WON'T. We'll see it in the next 10 years guaranteed.

• Like 1

Dude, if you had no idea she was your sister, you'd try too. Any guy who says he wouldn't is a liar.

I would not want them to remake those movies either but there is not a chance they WON'T. We'll see it in the next 10 years guaranteed.

First point: Agreed. What's wrong with it, really? There's not really that much flirting anyway, just a couple harmless kisses.

Second point: I think it's more likely we'll get Ep. 7, 8 and 9. I think he also mentioned doing prequels to the prequels, even...

The creepiest line in the original trilogy is in ROJ is when Leia said she always knew that he was her brother. Luke maybe could have tried but with that line she clearly shouldn't have let him.

How about changing some of the Prequels so it better matches the Originals

^^^^ This.

The original SW movies are some of the best loved movies of all time and there's a very good reason for that.

The big, flowery lightsabre battles of the prequels are no reason to think the original ones were "lame". Those techniques were based on actual swordfighting tactics. Personally I think they went a bit overboard on the prequels. There's a lot more emotional content to the OT lightsabre battles, too.

Probably the only minor point I have with the original Star Wars movie is the omission of Biggs. Two scenes in particular - the one where Luke says "Biggs is right, I'm never gonna get out of this place" and the scene (SPOILER alert! ;) ) where Biggs dies at the end would make a lot more sense if we saw that scene where Luke and he spoke on Tatooine, establishing their close friendship and further explaning the nature of the Empire and the Rebellion.

Otherwise, it makes a lot more sense to rework the prequels... Heck, just redo them completely. Vader was not "already a great pilot" when Ben met him, Yoda was not the "Jedi Master who taught him" (I don't know about you, but that line makes me think Ben was Yoda's padawan, not that Yoda was basically the Jedi kindergarten teacher), and there certainly was no need to "force" links between C3PO and Vader, or include Boba Fett (ugh, as a bratty kid). The general "feel" of the movie, due to the heavy use of CGI and even the overuse of John Williams (are there any quiet moments in the film???), could have been much closer to the originals either.

I don't know. I much prefer the Clone Wars stuff and Episode III to the first two prequels, which frankly seemed like a waste of a story. I mean, who really cared about Anakin as a 9-year-old or Naboo? And that's when he was supposed to fall in love with Padme, really? The midicholorian thing was completely unnecessary and took away from the key fantasy aspect of the first films, (why would Han Solo and those Imperial officers in the first movie think of the Force as a "religion" if there was ample scientific evidence for it???).

You don't even need to factor in the poor acting/non-existent chemistry, Jar-Jar or "Yippee!" elements to have a good case for remaking the prequels, but I can't think of ANY reason to remake the originals.

Though I bet George can ($$).

I agree with a lot of what you say. I'm a pretty harsh critic of the Prequals, I think were cinematic garbage and even ruin the Old trilogy by association. I see no excuse for making such plot hole filled cgi fests. But they sold well.

I'm really not even talking the next 10 years, I'm talking when Lucas dies and we are 20-30 years down the road. I think everything will get remade eventually unless we see some new trends getting popular in movies.

It would be far easier to fix and remake the prequels but that was the idea of this topic, a challenge.

We don't have to revsears

If they did do it I would never watch them ....I would put them on a list of movies I would never watch which includes Thelma and Louise and Brokeback Mountain

It's true we don't have to and I'm usally not a fan of remakes, but this is a case where I've grown to dislike the franchise so much that I think it could help.

for me:

2. C-3P0 needs to be able to move. We have real robots today that can outmove him.

3. Luke's training needs to take more time. I'd send him there at the end of the first movie, and in the 2nd have flashbacks tell the complete story with Yoda. (no coming back to yoda in Jedi. I know that could cause problems because Luke needs to be there at Hoth right? I agree He can just arrive as the movie begins, in nice new black robes and clearly changed. Maybe even a message from yoda to the rebel leaders.

4. no overall happy ending. The empire shouldn't be overthrown by Just the emperor, it should be a victory but bad guys would keep fighting. Luke and Leia

Thought I'd had some more.

5. The big legs need to go. At-AT- and at-st make some (small) sense for navigating bad terrerian, but wouldn't anti-grav since they use it elsewheree? Maybe that would save power? I know it would change how the gliders take the AT-At's down, but it'd like to see them at least be able to fold up and the things fly in launched from the ships above.

6. Sheilds or no. IF x-wings have them, so should the ties, or vice versa. The rebels should be poor I don't see how they have better shields than the Empire.

7. More Rebels on Endor, fewer reliance on ewoks.

8. Better death, I mean shoot out death for Boba fett. That death needs fixed!

9. The old trilogy saber fights do need some improvement, not necessarily tot he ballerina point of the prequals, but still better. Vader needs to be more flexible and ruthless.

for me:

Thought I'd had some more.

5. The big legs need to go. At-AT- and at-st make some (small) sense for navigating bad terrerian, but wouldn't anti-grav since they use it elsewheree? Maybe that would save power? I know it would change how the gliders take the AT-At's down, but it'd like to see them at least be able to fold up and the things fly in launched from the ships above.

6. Sheilds or no. IF x-wings have them, so should the ties, or vice versa. The rebels should be poor I don't see how they have better shields than the Empire.

7. More Rebels on Endor, fewer reliance on ewoks.

8. Better death, I mean shoot out death for Boba fett. That death needs fixed!

9. The old trilogy saber fights do need some improvement, not necessarily tot he ballerina point of the prequals, but still better. Vader needs to be more flexible and ruthless.

1. Could happen to anyone, if you were seperated at birth and had no clue she/he was your brother/sister.

2. 3P0's made for protocol and translation, he's not made for lifting, moving or doing karate, he's basically just a mobile computer. So he doesn't need to be more mobile.

3. Luke was on Dagobah for at least a week. He was so strong in the force that things came easily for him. Plus, when he leaves Dagobah in ESB, his training is not complete.

4. This is how things went down in the Expanded Universe. Besides, it would've been strange for the last chapter to end the way you describe.

5. The AT-AT's were pretty much for visual show. They work as is.

6. The Emperor/Empire considers TIE fighters and their pilots expendable, so the TIE's are made cheap and fast. They're made to swarm and outnumber. X-wings and Rebel craft in general are built to last due to the Rebelion's limited pilots/resources. They're not as expendable.

7. There where limited Rebels on Endor cause that's all that'd fit on the shuttle. Plus it was a small commando force meant to go in, do the job and get out. They weren't expecting a big battle. Plus, the Ewoks kicked butt, get over it. The Ewoks took the Empire by surprise.

8. Fett was a wuss. Only in the comics and such is he a bada__. Plus his death is even funnier because you expect a shootout/battle of some kind and instead Fett is killed off hand in a hillarious fashion. Awesome.

9. The sabre fights were perfect.

:P

I enjoyed the originals and have no use for the prequels which ruined everything I loved about the originals. Hollywood (like politicians today) have a hard time connecting with their audience (or constituents) and don't know HOW to give us characters we can relate to and CARE about, let alone ROOT for.

The only thing I would change about the originals is Yoda looking like a muppet and sounding like Miss Piggy and the ewoks. God I hated those stupid things. Reminded me of a really bad Burt Reynold movie from the 70's that had little monkey looking things in them and I think he feel in love with one or something. Anyway, Ewoks are lame and ruined ROTJ.

They didn't know each other. It's not like they made out and they seemed to slip into the "friend-zone" pretty quickly.

What robots? All the bi-pedal robots out there right now are still pretty slow and plodding. Walking on two legs is not easy to begin with and as mentioned above, he's not designed for combat so it's not really necessary anyway.

Based upon the distance between Hoth and Bespin it would've taken the Falcon weeks if not months to get there at sub-light speed, so Luke did have much more time on Dagobah than it initially seems. On one hand, it's a little confusing that the time got compressed so much to look like a weekend or something, but taking the Falcon's travel time into account we can see Luke really did have a lot of time there and I don't know that the story would be improved by showing numerous sleep cycles - maybe some sort of montage would give the impression of more time passing, but it's hard to say. Then it's three years from the end of ESB to the start of ROTJ. This gave Lando time to get under cover as one of Jabba's guards and one can assume Luke kept working at his training.

4. no overall happy ending. The empire shouldn't be overthrown by Just the emperor, it should be a victory but bad guys would keep fighting.
I'm sure they did (in the books they did of course) and that would be good for eps 7 - 9.
In Star Wars there is a limit to "speeder" level anti-grav. They can only hover so high and particularly rough terrain would most likely stymie them. The legs are handy for getting past that. That being said, they are mostly for the cool factor.
Shield generators take a lot of power to run and it has to come from somewhere. The purpose of the Ties is cheap, overwhelming numbers and speed. A Tie can outrun an X-wing which gives it an advantage when you have a bunch of them swarming around a smaller number of fighters. It's a fairly common practice to sacrifice protection for speed and maneuverability even today. Everyone doesn't drive around in a M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank, some people get a Stryker and some people get Humvees b/c there's a trade-off and advantage to each.

Hollywood (like politicians today) have a hard time connecting with their audience (or constituents) and don't know HOW to give us characters we can relate to and CARE about, let alone ROOT for.

Hollywood has a hard time coming up with anything ORIGINAL which is why anything with even marginal success is a candidate to be remade. It's why a remake of the original trilogy is a sure thing.

Well, if you really want to start getting cliche about it, there are no new stories - only new ways to tell them. Star Wars itself is hardly original, it was simply done in an original fashion which is why it has stood the test of time. Avatar is similar today - the story is very common and simple, it's the way it's told that makes it fun.

That's true.With the prequels I would have made Anakin a lot older then 9,Maybe about 16.I was really shocked back in 1998 when I saw who Jake Lloyd was an though"this is a 9 year old kid playing Anakin".I really didn't like the way the the romance between Anakin and padme worked.Episode 3 was the best of the 3 prequel films.Clone was alright but Menace was rather stale.

That's another thing I would have changed as well.Have the Mandalorians as the bad guys instead of the Battledroids.I'm sorry but the whole Roger Roger thing kinda bugged me.I was thrill that a Star Wars movie was coming out in 1999.I went to see at least 3 times and it got stale very quickly.