My Latest Obsession

Devilbat

Okay, I know that I've said several times over the years that I've been a G.I. Joe fan since 1982, when RAH made its spectacular debut, and I have been a Joe collector on and off over the last twenty-eight years. But I'm one of those collectors who goes through these obsessive phases where my interest is totally captured by a given property, and I can't get enough of it, in all its various forms. Well, my attention has recently turned full-force back to G.I. Joe, and I can't really say why, to be honest.

If I could trace it back to any one thing, I guess it would have to be the DVD/Blu-ray release of ROC. I really enjoyed this movie when I saw it in theaters, but it seems that it just keeps getting better and better upon each subsequent viewing. And I never really quit collecting the great ROC figures. I guess I just go through these lulls every now and then where I get interested in something else and I don't collect Joes as hot and heavy as I might normally. But anyway, I'll watch the movie every now and then, and that in turn revives my interest. Then over Christmas break I found the Night Adder/Charbroil/Red Fang Ninja wave (I still don't know what to call that wave...) (lol), and that further renewed my excitement and interest even more. But I think what really did it was when I was here on the boards late one night, and I decided to check out the collection pics some of you guys have posted, and I think those really showed me how one could make some really cool G.I. Joe displays and it not look insane like some collections can be, and it really excited me all over again about collecting Joes in general. I love everyone's pics, but I think I was most impressed and inspired by DPrime's. Let me just say my friend, if you're reading this, you have an awesome collection there. And I'm not necessarily impressed with the size of it; it's all in how you have it displayed. Somehow it looks as if you have made the best of what appears to be a relatively small space, displaying a fairly large collection in what looks like a normal-sized room, but it doesn't look cluttered or overwhelming. In fact, it looks wonderful, and everything's easy to see and is displayed so well. That has really inspired me to do my own little Joe collection display. I guess space issues have always concerned me, but DPrime, you've showed me you can do it and do it well if you just do it right. If you can display what you have as neatly and efficiently as you have, then surely I could display my piddly little ol' collection and make it look decent.

But anyway, my interest is at an all-time high, and I really enjoy the ROC stuff alot, but my first love is the anniversary stuff. And I got to thinking about all of the anniversary figures I still didn't have, and it suddenly dawned on me that I never got around to getting the Assault on/Defense of Cobra Island sets, and that'd be a really great way to get a huge anniversary fix. So I began researching the set on yojoe.com; I wanted these sets overall, but I wasn't 100% sold on some of the characters included in each set respectively. Upon closer inspection though, each and every figure looked amazing. So when I got paid Friday I promptly bought both sets on eBay. I'd like to do a review in the new toy review thread when they arrive in the mail if anyone's interested. I'm really excited about it and can't wait to get these sets in-hand.

And I also turned my attention to some other figures I'd like to have, and I'd really like to get some of the various convention exclusive figures that are out there. They're fairly expensive, but I think some of them are so very well done; I just think they'd stand out and would look great in any collection.

So I've been browsing online, looking at all of the cool (and expensive in some cases), convention/club exclusive figures, and it occured to me that I never got around to getting the DTC Wave 4 figures either. If I regret any one thing I've done in the last few years as a collector, it would be the selling of my mint DTC collection. Ohh...I had an awesome DTC collection, and I sold every last bit of it. *sigh* So naturally I've thought of starting a new one, and I was one of the few fans that actually wanted DTC Wave 4. (lol) Well, I sought them out online too, and I actually took the plunge and bought Outback and Munitia. I may have overpaid, but what the heck; right? Life is short. Why the heck not. (lol)

Now I don't want to try and go back and collect every single piece. Number one, there's no way I could ever afford it, at least the way I'd like to do it, and two, well...I'll allude to what ARROW's been saying about collecting recently by saying, y'know what, I don't feel the need to have every single figure and/or vehicle ever made. I'll look for mint stuff I want, and if I get some of it great. If not, that's okay. Sometimes less is more. I'd rather have a few key mint pieces in my collection that I really really want that mean the most to me than having tons and tons of stuff I don't necessarily like but have in my collection just for completion's sake. I'm not trying to disparage those collectors that have near everything, quite the contary; I love looking at huge collections that have everything or near everything. I admire collectors like that. But for me personally, I didn't like every single thing Habsro put out, so there's only so many things I'd like to have in my collection and/or display.

So feel free to share any thoughts you may have on the subject concerning your overall excitement (or lack thereof, as the case may be) for G.I. Joe in general, and maybe even let me know what your current wish list is as far as what you'd like your next purchase to be, or maybe you're like me and you've bought something recently and it hasn't arrived yet, but your really excited about. Or maybe you have something new in-hand and you're really pleased with or proud of it and you'd like to share.

My personal wish list includes:

Various anniversary vehicles, namely the Rattler, Conquest X-30, and Tiger Rat, the rest of the DTC collection, especially Wave 4, the Joes from the "Tanks for the Memories" convention set, the Operation: Flaming Moth Chuckles and Shipwreck figures, and the upcoming Pursuit of Cobra figures. (They look AMAZING!!) I'd also like to get a few select statues and busts. I think it be so cool to say, for example do a little mini-display of Cobra Commander by himself where I could display the carded anniversary hooded and Battle Armor versions, along with maybe a couple of loose vintage versions, and include the Icons mini-busts and the Sideshow 12-inch version. That's one of my goals, to do little mini-displays like that within my overall collection. Wouldn't that be cool? And DPrime, I may have to copy your display; I love those floating shelves you have. It makes for nice, clean lines when displaying stuff on the wall, and I think the plainer (more plain?) the shelves are like that, the better the collectibles stand out. I just love how you have several properties displayed together with you G.I. Joe stuff, but it's not all fighting for your attention and you're eye doesn't know where to look. Your displays are just done so well, and you've shown me I can display several small collections together and make it look great. (Okay, I'll stop gushing and brown-nosing now.) (lol)

My own excitement is measured, but it has some peaks at times. This last weekend was one of them.

I managed to find a 25th Matt Trakker and COBRA Eel at a local drug store chain.....for $4 each. Yea, happy day Friday was.

Great figures too--really happy to have found them as they were both at the top of my want list.

Then later that day I went to a local collectible shop and found the Cobra Islands sets too--first time seeing them with me own eyes, in my hands.

But they were too rich for my blood --$50 a set--so I passed....for now.

I tellya though........the COBRA set has been preying on my mind ever since. I've wanted the COBRA to outnumber the jobs by just a small margin, and have been slowly trying to find unique, interesting looking COBRAs to fill up the roster. Well that set is a windfall in a box.

So I have to bide my time, and wait and see if I can make me some dollars before that set sells out at the store. Because its got my name on it as far as I'm concerned.

POC is also on my lists, but, again.....I can wait for them.

I have a number of incomplete items too, some banged up stuff.....and I wrestle with keeping it, or trading it away.

I have a vintage WHALE and MORAY that would be a bit of a pain to complete ( missing the vane assemblies for the WHALE -- I have the rings housing and the fans but the vanes are trashed, and some small parts like a windshield, engine cover and machine guns for the MORAY), and I like these vehicles.....but they are not as dressy as they could be.

I reason that keeping the odd stuff I have makes for great diorama displays, but having a Ice Sabre doesn't make a lot of sense when I have just ONE 25th Arctic Joe--Snow Job. Most of these vehicles have something really cool about them that makes them worth keeping, and a few minuses like size that make me wish for smaller stuff.

I LIKE the current option of getting new vehicles--like the Ghost Hawk to "replace" older stuff, and not take up the whole shelf when its displayed.....but finding something like the Ghost Hawk has been a challenge.

But its not urgent for me.

I too, wrestle with display issues. I have a 90's era (2nd version) Joe HQ in storage, and I have set my mind to painting up the details on it, just for looks. The problem with it is that the set is a space hog and my office has limited room at present--even to paint the damn thing. So, for now I just cluster my figures on ad hoc shelving and wait until I can get proper book cases put in.

No rush, the hobby has been good to me, and I'm still having fun.

ARROW, you talking about your WHALE needing parts reminded me; I've been tempted to find parts to restore my original Joe HQ that's in shambles. I almost tossed it in the dumpster many times over the years, but I just can't seem to bring myself to do so. It was one of my all-time favorite toys growing up. See, what happened was, one of my brother's friends was over one evening when we were kids, and he stepped on my HQ like he was Godzilla or something. (lol) At the time I was traumatized, but I knew it was an accident. He didn't mean to do it and felt awful. My brother felt sorry for me and tried to glue some of the parts back, but the damage had been done. Hmm...I may just seek out new parts and restore my HQ. Thanks for the imspiration ARROW. (lol) These days it's pretty feasible to find various parts and repro stickers. I also have my original Mobile Command Center that I'd also like to restore. But all sentiments aside, I'm like you ARROW in that I prefer to get the newer anniversary versions of old vehicles whenever possible.

As far as the Defense of Cobra Island set is concerned, I wanted it mainly because it had awesome new versions of Cobra figures that I never had from the original line. I had Dr. Mindbender, B.A.T., and the Lamprey from the Cobra Hydrofoil, but I never had a Night Creeper, Range-Viper, Alley-Viper, or an Air-Viper since I didn't have the original Night Raven, and I stopped collecting around '89 or so. But I always did think the Alley-Vipers looked cool. I'm probably looking the most forward to the Lamprey figure since the original was one of my all-time figures as a kid. It just looked so unique and cool. And the new one is ten times better than the original, with a cool new vest and sculpted face under his translucent blue face-plate. I also think the Range-Viper in the set looks incredible. I really can't wait to get these sets. I'm also looking forward to the new Recondo figure. I loved the original figure, but I lost it in a trade with one of my friends years ago when we were kids. I so regretted trading that figure, but the new one looks like a great replacement for it.

I know exactly what you mean about one collection becoming the obsession for x amount of time. I cycle through Star Wars, Joe, Marvel, etc. as being the primary for awhile but I never totally quit on the others during that time either.

I can't really place what brings it on, either. Sometimes it coincides with the release of a new movie/book/line and other times it is totally random...

ARROW, you talking about your WHALE needing parts reminded me; I've been tempted to find parts to restore my original Joe HQ that's in shambles. I almost tossed it in the dumpster many times over the years, but I just can't seem to bring myself to do so. It was one of my all-time favorite toys growing up. See, what happened was, one of my brother's friends was over one evening when we were kids, and he stepped on my HQ like he was Godzilla or something. (lol) At the time I was traumatized, but I knew it was an accident. He didn't mean to do it and felt awful. My brother felt sorry for me and tried to glue some of the parts back, but the damage had been done. Hmm...I may just seek out new parts and restore my HQ. Thanks for the imspiration ARROW. (lol) These days it's pretty feasible to find various parts and repro stickers. I also have my original Mobile Command Center that I'd also like to restore. But all sentiments aside, I'm like you ARROW in that I prefer to get the newer anniversary versions of old vehicles whenever possible.

Yea, and the curse is that the new stuff are pristine molds, with new clean stickers and that "new toy" smell.

They will not make a new WHALE......they MIGHT do a new MORAY, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'd be all over cleaning up these older vehicles that I have, but for a few things: new stickers cost coin, money is tight in my household ( like just about everywhere else) and the plastic is gawdawful for gluing stuff too. I'd have specially modified vehicles if not for the latter one.

The newer toys make having a nice motorpool so much easier.

PS, just on a flippin' lark, I pulled out my ol' 95% complete Slugger. Was just missing the machine gun and the pintle mount, but I have the pin for the mount. The pin has a hole in it to accept the mount itself, and I long wondered if the hold would accept another gun with a similar pin--like Roadblock's machine gun.

Well, inspired by this thread and lo and behold...I found a spare MG, grabbed the pun and did a size comp. Sure enough they are a hairsbreadth close in size, so I grabbed my pin vise and a same sized bit, gave the hole a couple of twists with the drill and fitted the MG. NOW, My Slugger is "modified", but complete. And THAT is a good day right there.

But I think what really did it was when I was here on the boards late one night, and I decided to check out the collection pics some of you guys have posted, and I think those really showed me how one could make some really cool G.I. Joe displays and it not look insane like some collections can be, and it really excited me all over again about collecting Joes in general. I love everyone's pics, but I think I was most impressed and inspired by DPrime's. Let me just say my friend, if you're reading this, you have an awesome collection there. And I'm not necessarily impressed with the size of it; it's all in how you have it displayed. Somehow it looks as if you have made the best of what appears to be a relatively small space, displaying a fairly large collection in what looks like a normal-sized room, but it doesn't look cluttered or overwhelming. In fact, it looks wonderful, and everything's easy to see and is displayed so well. That has really inspired me to do my own little Joe collection display. I guess space issues have always concerned me, but DPrime, you've showed me you can do it and do it well if you just do it right. If you can display what you have as neatly and efficiently as you have, then surely I could display my piddly little ol' collection and make it look decent.

Wow, thanks man, that means a lot! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Let me tell you that it is NOT easy to keep it clean. Often when I get new stuff the desk especially gets cluttered, as well as the floor. So it doesn't always look good due to me being busy with work and what not, but I try my best!

My personal wish list includes:

Various anniversary vehicles, namely the Rattler, Conquest X-30, and Tiger Rat, the rest of the DTC collection, especially Wave 4, the Joes from the "Tanks for the Memories" convention set, the Operation: Flaming Moth Chuckles and Shipwreck figures, and the upcoming Pursuit of Cobra figures. (They look AMAZING!!) I'd also like to get a few select statues and busts. I think it be so cool to say, for example do a little mini-display of Cobra Commander by himself where I could display the carded anniversary hooded and Battle Armor versions, along with maybe a couple of loose vintage versions, and include the Icons mini-busts and the Sideshow 12-inch version. That's one of my goals, to do little mini-displays like that within my overall collection. Wouldn't that be cool?

Totally man, and honestly, that's EXACTLY how I set out to collect Joes. The first goal was pretty big - all the figures from '83-'86, but now it's smaller "sub-goals" including, for example, a complete set of UK Tiger Force (only one more to go), the '82 Straight-arms, etc. The mini displays idea I like a lot too and have tried to experiment with it. For example, I've been toying with the idea of getting some more CGC key Marvel issues to integrate with the collection (only have one so far) as well as stuff like Mighty Muggs, etc.

And DPrime, I may have to copy your display; I love those floating shelves you have. It makes for nice, clean lines when displaying stuff on the wall, and I think the plainer (more plain?) the shelves are like that, the better the collectibles stand out. I just love how you have several properties displayed together with you G.I. Joe stuff, but it's not all fighting for your attention and you're eye doesn't know where to look. Your displays are just done so well, and you've shown me I can display several small collections together and make it look great. (Okay, I'll stop gushing and brown-nosing now.) (lol)

Thanks again, and good luck!

As for the shelves, they're cheap little things you can get at Target (not that Target's easy for me to get here in Canada, but I buy them when I go down to visit). Beware though - don't use the screws they come with because they are utter crap and will actually break when installing them. Just go to Home Depot and get the same style of screw/sinker and use them instead.

I think you can get stuff like that at Ikea as well.