G.I.Joe Q&A Round-Up For January 15, 2009

The Wire

What does that mean they're going to use all new non-actor scan face sculpts?

Does this mean that new figures based on the characters from the movie will no longer look like the actors who played them??? If so, that sucks.

If it just means they're using different expressions or something, but they'll still look like the actors then I think that's a good idea.

Storm Rider with Doom Cycle? Who the hell is that and why should we give a crap? I mean the question was about Dreadnoks. Are we to presume he will be one? I don't get it. Do they assume todays fans won't care about the older characters or what?

"...we know collectors and customizers enjoy these types of figure.". Then why the hell are they exclusives?

YoJoe: There are rumors everywhere, in all corners of the fandom, that Pursuit of Cobra has been pushed back to mid or late 2010. If that is the case, will we still have new items on the shelves for this spring and summer?

Hasbro: We do have new some releases under the ROC line. These include exclusives and some new single figures.

Real answer: Repaints galore. Anyone see the zipline vehicles at TRU? Wow, a repaint of Snake Eyes and Elite Viper. Whoopie.

"...but the accessories need to remain relevant to the character they are released with.". Then how come eveyrone comes with the same stuff for the most part?

I like the comments about how the "Pit sold well" but they AREN'T going to be doing larger vehicles/playsets.

All the questions about POC being moved to the fall, well they gotta redo all the packaging for some reason. Didn't they plan that better? WTH? Seems like they didn't because we won't be getting any new items for, what, 6 months if that?

What does that mean they're going to use all new non-actor scan face sculpts?

Does this mean that new figures based on the characters from the movie will no longer look like the actors who played them??? If so, that sucks.

If it just means they're using different expressions or something, but they'll still look like the actors then I think that's a good idea.

No they will not be actor likeness. The figs are not based on the movie so they make sense.

And the question answers are bunk like usual.... I think this line is headed to death..... sadly @grumpy@

Draven

How is Pursuit of Cobra not related to Rise of Cobra??? I'm confused...

truth of the matter is they hvae to pay for rights to use the actors likeness.

Personally i hate movie actor accurate faces. I'd prefer resolute duke heads in the future.

Well, looks like I won't be buying any new GI Joe stuff this year.

For those of you who didn't read the Q&A's...I'll save you some time. Here's the answer to just about every question you have: "We currently have no plans for that at this time, but we'll keep it in mind for the future, and in the mean time we'll continue to shove the same 10 characters down your throat because we need to keep the 'iconic' characters in the spotlight so we can keep the line fresh."

Seriously, that's pretty much how all of the answers are...they keep talking about how they want to keep the line "fresh" and "new" but they give us the same characters OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER again, and then say they need to do this because they are iconic and people recognize them.

From TriStateVipers.com

I got to get the 3rd question in.

1) As the New Year is here, I'd like to know if there are any plans for the upcoming 30th anniversary for the GIJOE product line as much as the upcoming movie sequel tie-in in 2011?

Of course we are very excited for the 30th Anniversary of G.I. Joe - this will be a great milestone for the brand! It's too early to comment on plans.

2) With all the Female Figures Hasbro has made of late, will there be any Female Cobra Troopers made like For Example a Female Crimson Guard, Female Air-Viper, Female Neo-Viper, Etc?

We have no plans at present but will look into it in the future.

3) Rise of Cobra Wave 4 ( Kamakura, Charbroil, white coat Doc, etc), can't be found anywhere. Has this wave been fully shipped or are we still to see larger shipments of this particular wave? Or will there be revision cases including some of the figures that are hard to find? Also will there be more store exclusives? Can you give us just one little teaser?

This wave 4 as well as wave 5 will continue to ship through spring 2010.

EM

Because its not based on a movie! Its what the movie line evolved into. Like a theme from the past, Robet Rebllion, etc

And Rev is right, the fact they would have to pay actors likeness is a big reason why they are not movie heads too.

Draven

Do you think they're going to use the same bodies though? A non actor sculpted Duke head on say, a Reactive Impact Armor body? That would be weird. Still I wouldn't put it past them. It would be easily recognizable for the kids out there who saw the movie.

So I guess my wallet will get to rest a while...if they're not doing any more movie figures (presumably until the next movie) then I have no need to buy any figures...only interested in movie-related figures...I might get some future figures that are made to look movie-esque, but other than that...nope.

Do you think they're going to use the same bodies though? A non actor sculpted Duke head on say, a Reactive Impact Armor body? That would be weird. Still I wouldn't put it past them. It would be easily recognizable for the kids out there who saw the movie.

So I guess my wallet will get to rest a while...if they're not doing any more movie figures (presumably until the next movie) then I have no need to buy any figures...only interested in movie-related figures...I might get some future figures that are made to look movie-esque, but other than that...nope.

I think that what they might mean is we get a regulaer Scarlett or Duke head on ROC style figures.

Why would it be weird and why wouldn't they?

It is about cost effectiveness and recognition. Duke is Duke. Channing Tatum is not necessarily Duke.

Personally i hate movie actor accurate faces. I'd prefer resolute duke heads in the future.

What you didn't like the Van Damn Heads they used for the Street Fighter movie line that was attached to G.I. Joe?

I'm with you, I hate seeing Tat's face on all the Dukes or Wayan's on Rip.

What you didn't like the Van Damn Heads they used for the Street Fighter movie line that was attached to G.I. Joe?

I'm with you, I hate seeing Tat's face on all the Dukes or Wayan's on Rip.

I didn't think it was such a big deal. At the very least, it lets you use the figure as someone else.

I think the delay of POC goes to show they may have felt ROC was going to be axed before they ever got there.

I am glad they were wrong, I have enjoyed a lot of the new line!

I can wait for more retro stuff until 30th anni time...