Geeky Star Trek timeline question

yojoebro82

!!!NERD ALERT!!!

OK, the newest movie takes place in the year 2258. Old Spock tells us that Romulus will be destroyed 129 years from now which puts us in the year 2387 (24th century TNG timeline).

Now, yesterday I bought a Playmates Dr. Pulaski figure (I told you, nerd alert!) and on her file card it says that she took over as chief medical officer of the Enterprise D in the year 2385. That's season 2 of Star Trek TNG (she was only on the show for season 2). That's just two years before Romulus was supposed to blow up.

Romulus did not blow up in TNG season 4.

Is my math off? Are my fictional dates off? Is it just a plot hole?

I'm almost confident that the TNG was supposed to be 3 or 5 years long in there time. It was mentioned in the series finale I think. however that wouldn't count DS9, Voyager, and the movies!

Either way yeah it's a plot hole, but it's not the biggest one in the trek world. So if Scottie watched Kirk die, then how come he didn't know Kirk had died when he was rescued from the teleporter? that one always bothered me. Enterprise may have explained the klingon ridges (don't know the details, hated that show) but it still seems like a fishy plot hole to me too. Granted I prefer the next gen klingons.

Ever think that the writers just came up with a year without the so called"nerd" history?

it's possible it's also possible they got the date from an inaccurate source

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

!!!NERD ALERT!!!

OK, the newest movie takes place in the year 2258. Old Spock tells us that Romulus will be destroyed 129 years from now which puts us in the year 2387 (24th century TNG timeline).

Now, yesterday I bought a Playmates Dr. Pulaski figure (I told you, nerd alert!) and on her file card it says that she took over as chief medical officer of the Enterprise D in the year 2385. That's season 2 of Star Trek TNG (she was only on the show for season 2). That's just two years before Romulus was supposed to blow up.

Romulus did not blow up in TNG season 4.

Is my math off? Are my fictional dates off? Is it just a plot hole?

The mistake is in the file card not the new film.

Dr.Pulaski was on the Enterprise D in the year 2365 not 2385.

I think that by mentioning Admiral Archer in the new movie, they strongly implied that there might be differences to the timeline that even predate Nero's arrival. Archer and co. were involved in a time war, after all.

But I'm trying to rack my brain and come up with any differences to the timeline that pre-date Nero's first appearance (when he killed Thor). Are there any? The closest I can come up with is, the technology on the Kelvin looked to be far advanced of what we saw on the original Enterprise. Could that be because the timeline was polluted with future tech during the time war? That would allow the writers to give the alternate Kirk and crew better tech than the original series Kirk had.

Otherwise, there isn't really any way to explain the awesome displays that they had on the Kelvin, and why they wouldn't use those same displays on the Enterprise.

I think that by mentioning Admiral Archer in the new movie, they strongly implied that there might be differences to the timeline that even predate Nero's arrival. Archer and co. were involved in a time war, after all.

But I'm trying to rack my brain and come up with any differences to the timeline that pre-date Nero's first appearance (when he killed Thor). Are there any? The closest I can come up with is, the technology on the Kelvin looked to be far advanced of what we saw on the original Enterprise. Could that be because the timeline was polluted with future tech during the time war? That would allow the writers to give the alternate Kirk and crew better tech than the original series Kirk had.

Otherwise, there isn't really any way to explain the awesome displays that they had on the Kelvin, and why they wouldn't use those same displays on the Enterprise.

What tech looks like is subjective to each person that see's it.

It doest constitute or imply a change in the time line.

Now if the Kelvin "functioned" more advance then Kirks Enterprise then that could imply a change in history.

And nothing about the Kelvin seemed to function in an advanced manner.

the newest movie totally screwed up the timeline from nero's arrival into the future forward. everything in tng is now an alternate reality.

You actually got that backwards.

How? Vulcan was destroyed,Kirks father died before he was born and he knew his father.In unification The Romulans were going to send troops to Vulcan to get a foothold in the Federation

Minor changes in the past is like asmall snowball rolling down a hill getting bigger as it goes

Who knows maybe things don't happene the same maybe Nero isn't born ,romulous never blows up...A Paradox?

the newest movie totally screwed up the timeline from nero's arrival into the future forward. everything in tng is now an alternate reality.

You actually got that backwards.

How?

Think about it.

What He/She said basicly broke down to....the new film made the original universe an alternate universe.

And thats not the case.

TNG,DS9,Voyager are all from the original,prime universe.

The prime universe is not the "Alternate" universe.

The new universe is the alternate universe.

Alternate to what? Like I ask of these alternate rock fans nowadays

Plus

Vulcan was destroyed,Kirks father died before he was born and he knew his father.In unification The Romulans were going to send troops to Vulcan to get a foothold in the Federation

Minor changes in the past is like asmall snowball rolling down a hill getting bigger as it goes

Who knows maybe things don't happene the same maybe Nero isn't born ,romulous never blows up...A Paradox?

Plus

Vulcan was destroyed,Kirks father died before he was born and he knew his father.In unification The Romulans were going to send troops to Vulcan to get a foothold in the Federation

Alternate to the Prime universe.

Nero's created a new timeline/alternate universe.

But the universe he came from is the original, from our perspective.

Plus

Alternate to the Prime universe.

Nero's created a new timeline/alternate universe.

But the universe he came from is the original, from our perspective.

They went back in time not a paralelle universe, until they tell us that happened to me they went back in time

each timeline is an alternate reality.

Except for the prime timeline...from our perceptive.

anyway, that's the answer. it doesn't matter which reality you call the prime or alternate.

It does matter.

Particularly in this case because it was persons from the prime reality that created the new one.

They went back in time not a paralelle universe, until they tell us that happened to me they went back in time

They did explain it.Both in the film and interviews about the film.

Nero went back in time and as a result of his actions in the past a new parallel universe was created.

• 3 months later...