Star Wars Revival

Crimson Knight

I suppose it was bound to happen... after about a 10 year hiatus for me, The world of Star Wars is coming alive again through my 5 year old son (very fun). I've done plenty of collecting in-between (Marvel Legends, DCUC, etc) but have just kept all my old POTF and Episode I era stuff packed safely away.

We're starting him out slow (despite his older cousin's efforts). I don't think we'll let him watch the full saga until well into 6-7 years old (as they seem to get progressively darker/violent). For now Episode IV does wonders for him and the Clone Wars animated show is even o.k for little sis. They've done a nice job invigorating the franchise with that animated series.

The problem I'm having as we slowly emerge out of Galactic Heroes (which are pretty darn cool); what the heck is with ALL these freakin' lines of figures????? Legacy, Saga, Clone wars, Evolutions, The Comic Book packs... The list goes on. Also, it seems the scale has gotten significantly smaller. Cooler scuplts, detail etc, but very slight in scale when compared to the older figs from the relaunch of the franchise. How bad will my POTF Storm trooper army dwarf the new ones??

I will say, they've got quite a $money maker$ with the Clone troopers... Those variations and armor options are very, very cool... Something tells me they're finding every way to milk it as well :)

So, as me and my boy proceed into a galaxy far far away, I'm just looking for some guidance as we get close to possibly starting to collect Star Wars:

What lines are most fun?

Most compatible with the older lines?

Which retailers seem to have the best variety?

Is the Clone Wars animated series popular (how is it received in the SW lore)?

Just curious as we head down this path. This board has always been solid for feedback and guidance. Looking forward to being on this forum more often in the future...

Thanks for now

I have a four year old (five in April) who is a huge Star Wars fanatic just like his dad. He has seen all seven movies (yes, I count the animated one - it WAS at the theater), the two original CW animated series and I record and we watch TCW every week. He has been playing with the same 3-3/4" figures I (his dear old dad) have been for two years or so - he wouldn't settle for the Galactic Heroes. Heh.

As far as all the lines - Legacy is the line that supports the original six movies, TCW is, obviously, the Clone Wars (current series), and Saga Legends is the line that keeps older sculpts (no older than ROTS - looking at you Plo Koon and Saeese Tinn...) in rotation, Evolutions were originally ways to show change in some such as Anakin (Ep II, Ep III, Ep IV) and troops (Clone Trooper Ep II, Clone Trooper Ep III, Sandtrooper Ep IV), but then started linking factions (Sith / Jedi) and individual characters (TFU, Padme, and Pilots) and comic packs deal mostly with the EU but are being phased out after the Spring.

The newer sculpts are much more in depth with articulation and only really fit in with themselves. The prequel movie toys aren't horrible out of scale with the newer stuff and the last five years or so are all completely in scale with one another. Best selection is completely hit or miss lately with the Legacy lines as Wal-Mart, Target, and TRU all seem to get in certain waves (ANH, ROTS, and ESB waves all dropped from Oct - now and each retailer seemed to only get one of them.)

Having a wee one in Star Wars is a blast! I love that my son likes what I like and it makes toy runs more fun (albeit more expensive - can't buy me something and leave him high and dry...)

I mentor a 9 year old boy and Star Wars has ended up being our "common ground". I can use it in lessons or as examples to help with homework. I also have a 12 year old goddaughter that didn't start liking Star Wars until the Clone Wars came out.

As for the size of the figures, they are definitely a lot slimmer than they were when the POTF line came out. The major height difference started a while back when it seemed that Hasbro was making figures more to 1/18 scale based on the the actors' height. So short people like Hamil and Fisher got shorter sculpts and taller people like Ford got sculpts along the same height as the older lines.

I originally thought that the stormtroopers shrunk... and to a certain degree they did. But you can mix them in and they still look great.

DSCN0687.jpg

I mentor a 9 year old boy and Star Wars has ended up being our "common ground". I can use it in lessons or as examples to help with homework. I also have a 12 year old goddaughter that didn't start liking Star Wars until the Clone Wars came out.

As for the size of the figures, they are definitely a lot slimmer than they were when the POTF line came out. The major height difference started a while back when it seemed that Hasbro was making figures more to 1/18 scale based on the the actors' height. So short people like Hamil and Fisher got shorter sculpts and taller people like Ford got sculpts along the same height as the older lines.

I originally thought that the stormtroopers shrunk... and to a certain degree they did. But you can mix them in and they still look great.

DSCN0687.jpg

Very cool on the mentoring story... I figure there are few thousand dads/uncles/etc. that are enjoying my scenario.

Is there any kind of market for the POTF, relaunch stuff? Should I try to sell/trade if the newer lines are more appealing to him?