Spidy is getting rebooted!

revsears

I read somewhere that Spiderman is "prepetually 24".

What bugs me the most is the character has, what, like 6 different books he stars in? And they STILL can't think of a continuation of the story?

Those two combined are the character's biggest problem. The first is the non-age factor. And it is MORE than just non-aging. It is non-growth. As rev pointed out, his "deal with the devil" was probably one of the stupidist, worst stories in comic history. Why did they do it? To keep Spiderman from growing. Heaven forbid the 8,000 year old Aunt May ACTUALLY pass away.

And, yes I think the devil plot was worse than the whole "clone saga" debacle. I actually LIKED Ben Reilly. He was how Spiderman could have been if Peter Parker wasn't continually portrayed with "teenage angst" even at 24.

The second is over-exposure. How can ONE GUY handle the events of 6 different comic stories? Eesh.

As for the movie itself. I heard they were going to reboot Fantastic Four too, but that is neither here nor there. Rebooting the Hulk worked (the second movie was MUCH better than the first) but it was able to work because it was a single movie. This one already has 2 sequels. Doesn't work so well.

It makes you wonder just how bad the 4th story was that they would even consider doing a reboot.

How many comics is wolverine in these days?

Hulk's reboot did great and I think the skipping of the origin helped and hope to see similar done with the new spidy movie.

Spidey comics have become entirely untouchable, all of marvel has.

I too was a big Ben Reily fan. I loved the custom, i loved him as a mature more down and out adult rather than emo teenager. I still think the real spidey is dead (skeleton in the smoke stack) so it's really okay that i've stopped reading @firedevil@

hopefully they will have greengoblin again but based more on his civil war costume

Honestly, I hope not. Batman Begins restarted the franchise and they didn't throw Joker right into the mix at the beginning of the new saga. The Green Goblin is one of Peter's greatest foes - I hope they hold off on him. If nothing else than because the entire trilogy was about the Osbourns. Batman Begins brought out two relatively unknown villains as far as the general movie goer audience is concerned and I would like to see a reboot of Spider-Man follow this same pattern.

Although, to be honest, I'd rather there NOT be a reboot, but I suppose that is a moot point. Throw something new at us. Spider-Man has a gigantic cast in his own personal Rogues Gallery. Why not toss Electro, the Shocker, Rhino, Mysterio, Vulture, Lizard, Kraven, Chameleon,the Puma , Hydro-Man, Scorpion etc etc etc...

Take a page from the newest series and go the way of the gangster (the revamp of Tombstone was great)like the Kingpin, Hammerhead, or Silvermane. And for the love of all that is holy let the kid keep his mask on, fer crissakes.

To be honest as much as he has been hinted at, i think it's Lizard's turn fair and square.

I agree with you, green goblin needs to be built up, pushed to the 2nd movie, Maybe the third (that way Harry can remind a good friend longer)

Agreed mask stays on!

maybe they could do chameleon for the first

To be honest as much as he has been hinted at, i think it's Lizard's turn fair and square.

As much as I was a proponent of the Lizard, I've come to realize the problem with the character:

He's redundant.

He's yet another authority father-figure scientist who goes off the deep-end via some accident. We've seen that twice before.

There's no way to address who the Lizard is ( via Doc Connors) without falling to that redundancy again.

That's the fallacy of tapping comics as far as movie properties go, they tend to have VERY shallow writing which leads to stories being redressed and repeated over time. It might work in print media, but it does not work in cinema.

Probably the best all-round interesting villain for Spidey would be Mysterio--because he doesn't have any

"family" relations with the hero. That gives him a clean slate for motivations, and a chance to be something quite different....BUT......I've a hunch that Iron Man 2 might steal that thunder with the motivations of Whiplash.

As much as I was a proponent of the Lizard, I've come to realize the problem with the character:

He's redundant.

He's yet another authority father-figure scientist who goes off the deep-end via some accident. We've seen that twice before.

There's no way to address who the Lizard is ( via Doc Connors) without falling to that redundancy again.

That's the fallacy of tapping comics as far as movie properties go, they tend to have VERY shallow writing which leads to stories being redressed and repeated over time. It might work in print media, but it does not work in cinema.

Probably the best all-round interesting villain for Spidey would be Mysterio--because he doesn't have any

"family" relations with the hero. That gives him a clean slate for motivations, and a chance to be something quite different....BUT......I've a hunch that Iron Man 2 might steal that thunder with the motivations of Whiplash.

I've thought about that too and it's hard to escape. It's one of spidey's themes. I'm not sure you can make a definitive lesson out of that, (all dads but uncle ben are bad?) but it's there. Maybe Dr. Conners can be changed to be a jerk? That might help.

I'm worried Mysterio will be too hokey. The 3D holograms etc just don't do it for me. Granted i don't recall reading any mysterio stories i think my experience with the character was from the 90's toon and he was among my least favorite villians there.

Chamelon? maybe, it would be a depature from the previous movies, that might be a good thing. The mob angle would onl work if they had a strong leader and i'm not sure who even has the rights to Kingpin (I don't remember who made the daredevil movie, or if those rights are now with marvel... disney whatever)

It makes you wonder just how bad the 4th story was that they would even consider doing a reboot.

well it wasgoing to have felica hardy as vultress instead of black cat and no goblins :( willem dafoe most likely wouldn't be in it :( the sandman could've had a cameo so pretty bad

That's weird. I hate when they screw around with characters unnecessarily.

But as for the Goblins....been there done that. There are PLENTY of Spiderman villians to include. Chamelon, Mysterio, the Lizard (even if he is redundant as Arrow says, the character is AT LEAST established in the movie franchise), Electro, Rhino, Shocker, Kraven, etc. And if you insist on a "goblin" then there is also the Hobgoblin.

But as for the Goblins....been there done that. There are PLENTY of Spiderman villians to include. Chamelon, Mysterio, the Lizard (even if he is redundant as Arrow says, the character is AT LEAST established in the movie franchise), Electro, Rhino, Shocker, Kraven, etc. And if you insist on a "goblin" then there is also the Hobgoblin.

Well, Spiderman is full of redundant characters, even if they are not characters used in the Spiderman movies, but in other movies.

To wit: If you have Green Goblin, or Doc Ock, then characters like the Lizard Jack O Lantern and Hobgoblin become redundant. The former because of the father-figure scientist angle, the latter two because we have already seen a "goblin" character zipping around on a glider. The Lizard LOOKS visually interesting, but looks are only one part of the character. WHO they are has to be at least as interesting, and Doc Conners just repeats traits seen in others.

Venom was done.......badly. He's damaged goods now as a cinematic character, and thus so is Carnage. Visually, Carnage works the same as Venom--and the characters motivations are just a contrived spin-off of Venom. Been there, done that....and both suck.

Electro.....use him, and you cannot use Shocker--their powers look much the same.

Rhino is the Hulk--a rampaging character we've seen already. How do you make what the Rhino does different? You cannot, really........he charges, runs thru stuff, or tosses stuff aside with his strength. That's the Hulk, done over again. Seen that.

So, who is left.......Mysterio...Kraven......maybe, MAYBE the Vulture. Black Cat is yet another hot gal trying to sit on Peter's face........but what are they going to do? Consummate? See Superman 2 and Superman Returns for how well that sort of thing works out.

Peter STILL acts like the dumbest smart guy around when it comes to women--regardless of how obvious the signals they throw out are. Its tired.

Hammerhead......pfft, what is really interesting about a guy trying to head-butt the hero to death?

Chameleon is Mystique......with a penis. Again, how the character works is visually redundant.

See, my theory is this is why "Deadpool" in the Wolverine film ended up as a mish-mash amalgram of various characters. As JUST Deadpool, the character we know, he's a smart-mouth " Lady Deathstrike". Yea, but if he were JUST Deadpool....who would he fight? He'd twirl around a lot, jump, use a sword etc.......in other words, it would look a lot like the fights we've seen before between Wolverine and Lady Deathstrike, or even Blade and the vampires. Movies really strive to offer something different for the experience ( yea, even despite rehashing old ideas all the time) so there needs to be something considerable to distinguish one movie from another. I think that is why Daredevil failed as a movie--too many redundancies and repetitions.

And I guess that is why rebooting Spiderman is a stupid idea as well--we'll see it all over yet again. Yawn.

Well, Spiderman is full of redundant characters, even if they are not characters used in the Spiderman movies, but in other movies.

To wit: If you have Green Goblin, or Doc Ock, then characters like the Lizard Jack O Lantern and Hobgoblin become redundant. The former because of the father-figure scientist angle, the latter two because we have already seen a "goblin" character zipping around on a glider. The Lizard LOOKS visually interesting, but looks are only one part of the character. WHO they are has to be at least as interesting, and Doc Conners just repeats traits seen in others.

Venom was done.......badly. He's damaged goods now as a cinematic character, and thus so is Carnage. Visually, Carnage works the same as Venom--and the characters motivations are just a contrived spin-off of Venom. Been there, done that....and both suck.

Electro.....use him, and you cannot use Shocker--their powers look much the same.

Rhino is the Hulk--a rampaging character we've seen already. How do you make what the Rhino does different? You cannot, really........he charges, runs thru stuff, or tosses stuff aside with his strength. That's the Hulk, done over again. Seen that.

So, who is left.......Mysterio...Kraven......maybe, MAYBE the Vulture. Black Cat is yet another hot gal trying to sit on Peter's face........but what are they going to do? Consummate? See Superman 2 and Superman Returns for how well that sort of thing works out.

Peter STILL acts like the dumbest smart guy around when it comes to women--regardless of how obvious the signals they throw out are. Its tired.

Hammerhead......pfft, what is really interesting about a guy trying to head-butt the hero to death?

Chameleon is Mystique......with a penis. Again, how the character works is visually redundant.

See, my theory is this is why "Deadpool" in the Wolverine film ended up as a mish-mash amalgram of various characters. As JUST Deadpool, the character we know, he's a smart-mouth " Lady Deathstrike". Yea, but if he were JUST Deadpool....who would he fight? He'd twirl around a lot, jump, use a sword etc.......in other words, it would look a lot like the fights we've seen before between Wolverine and Lady Deathstrike, or even Blade and the vampires. Movies really strive to offer something different for the experience ( yea, even despite rehashing old ideas all the time) so there needs to be something considerable to distinguish one movie from another. I think that is why Daredevil failed as a movie--too many redundancies and repetitions.

And I guess that is why rebooting Spiderman is a stupid idea as well--we'll see it all over yet again. Yawn.

Arrow you make a ton of sense but I think your forgetting one thing (and I don't like it) People often like redundency. I agree that Doc Ock was redudent but a lot of people felt that was the better movie. I felt x2 offered very little new, and people loved that more as well. Comics have been going in these cycles for years and somehow are still alive. Remakes and reboots occur all the time, and people do watch this.

Visually different with Lizard to me might be the key.

The early suggestion of Jack O lantern was intersting, that's for sure. Maybe minus a glider. There was also Demogoblin too. (eck)

Something i've heard rumored before was Morbious and as initially as much as I hated the idea i'm begining to warm up to it. young revival genius, super strength from a different animal etc. The kids love vampires these days too. Heck man-wolf was partially set up and that might be okay too. I was worried Rhas al Ghul wouldn't work for Begins and he did so maybe one of those more obscure, in no way obvious, guys is the way to go.

I still think the Lizard works better than all of the others, especially with Kraven as the major antagonist. I think there's probably ways of minimizing the scientist father-figure redundancy, probably by upping the moral or emotional peril for Peter.

Have some kind affliction or injury happen to Peter, or someone close to him ( Aunt May) and both Doc Connors and Peter have to race against time and circumstances to cure things. Probably have the transformation of the Lizard come out of this success, and then have Kraven brought into play to capture the then rampaging Lizard.

The surface circumstances are similar, but the underlying motivations become different.

The cornerstone elements would remain: Peter still has a life worse than yours or mine, Spiderman is the mantle of power and responsibility, and the foes he faces either have twisted/misguided aims or they simply cannot help themselves.

And if you insist on a "goblin" then there is also the Hobgoblin.

Or if you want that archetype for a character. Go for ol' Jack O'Lantern. He has a scary pumpkin head (that's on fire, no less), a glider, and armed to the teeth.

I'd rather they have jack'o'lantern in a ghostrider sequel or Ironman since the chances of getting a machine man movie is like zero

I agree that many of us are concerned about the main player and his antagonists, but think about it a little.

One of the main concerns about the "first" spidey trilogy were (among others) the supporting cast.

Mr Webb will have to cast some decent portrays for all the SPIDER-MAN supporting cast. J.J.JAMESON, MARY JANE, FLASH THOMPSON, FELICIA HARDY, AUNT MAY, DR. CONNORS, GWEN STACY, ROBBIE ROBERTSON, EDWARD BROCK, The OSBORNS, NED LEEDS and BETTY BRANT.

How about them?

and by the way, I wouldn't mind if THIS TIME, we have some/any COOL cameos from other MARVEL UNIVERSE characters, like DAREDEVIL, THE HEROES FOR HIRE, DOC STRANGE, the F4, GHOST RIDER; or why not, Bruce Banner (Mr. EDWARD NORTON), SHIELD or any other Avenger. WHY NOT.

instead of the ALWAYS/FOREVER sneaky appearance of MR. MARVEL himself.

and by the way, I wouldn't mind if THIS TIME, we have some/any COOL cameos from other MARVEL UNIVERSE characters, like DAREDEVIL, THE HEROES FOR HIRE, DOC STRANGE, the F4, GHOST RIDER; or why not, Bruce Banner (Mr. EDWARD NORTON), SHIELD or any other Avenger. WHY NOT.

Because this will not be a Marvel film, it'll be a Sony film and the rights for crossing over characters will remain separate.

It will not happen.

I think we maybe missing a very scary and worrisome point of all this. Hasn't it been reported this will be more "gritty." If the mean dark knight gritty they are going to have a mess on their hands. If they mean no stupid songs it would be great.

I think we maybe missing a very scary and worrisome point of all this. Hasn't it been reported this will be more "gritty." If the mean dark knight gritty they are going to have a mess on their hands. If they mean no stupid songs it would be great.

I worry about the concept of a gritty Spider-man because I am afraid that the new writers will try to hone in on Dark Knight’s success. Nolan clearly created a gritty feel for Batman that works with the set characters and the story arcs. The Joker worked because he doesn’t fly on a glider or force a suspended belief – all which worked well for Raimi because of the fantasy element that is evident in the comics. Spider-man has epic qualities in its own right, and the previous tone to the movies (disregarding the song in 3) fit the experience well. If it goes gritty, the characters will need adjusting. I don’t quite see how some of the characters such as Sandman or Hydroman, for example, would work in a gritty film. The realism of the grittier film seems as though it would conflict with the some of the expected superhero elements. Maybe it’s just the word, but gritty seems to be limiting the franchise again and too soon in the process.

I agree that many of us are concerned about the main player and his antagonists, but think about it a little.

One of the main concerns about the "first" spidey trilogy were (among others) the supporting cast.

Mr Webb will have to cast some decent portrays for all the SPIDER-MAN supporting cast. J.J.JAMESON, MARY JANE, FLASH THOMPSON, FELICIA HARDY, AUNT MAY, DR. CONNORS, GWEN STACY, ROBBIE ROBERTSON, EDWARD BROCK, The OSBORNS, NED LEEDS and BETTY BRANT.

How about them?

instead of the ALWAYS/FOREVER sneaky appearance of MR. MARVEL himself.

well old friend a crossover can be done in the second with Hulk if green goblin is in it

post-15525-12641992284007_thumb.jpg

well old friend a crossover can be done in the second with Hulk if green goblin is in it

Hulk is also under the Marvel movie franchise banner, hence why Tony Stark was able to pop up in it. The Spider-Man movie rights are still in the hands of Sony. So, as stated before, no crossovers for the webhead as long as Sony has it's mitts on the license.

Well considering that there are only like SIX superpowers:

superhuman strength

invulnerability/regeneration (basically the same thing)

flight

super speed

telepathy

projection (energy, fire, webs, etc.)

That list kind of, IMO, applies to DC more then Marvel (ever seen Public Enemies?), but Marvel could probably add claws to the list.

I DID think of one other Spiderman "villian": The Punisher.

IF they could find a good story, the villians wouldn't be as important I think. Spiderman has been around for 50 years so you would imagine they could find one.

But part of the problem is that the MOVIE version of these characters all live in a vacuum. In the comics, Spiderman or Flash exist, for the most part, within the constraints of their own book(s) and fight their own villians. But they STILL live in a world with all the other superpowered characters. Hell Spiderman has been a member of practically ever super group in the Marvel Universe. A good example might be Sabertooth who was originally a non-mutant enemy of Iron Fist before become a Wolverine clone and X-Men villian. So what one character from some other book does could affect other books (and I'm not necessarily even talking about the yearly mega-crossovers they do now).

But in the movie universe(s), you won't see Spiderman fighting the Reavers or the X-Men fighting Doctor Doom (both of which have actually happened in the comics). Those characters don't exist in the movie universes as the Reavers are NOT Spiderman villians.

You also have to consider both the actors AND the characters themselves. Maguire worked as Peter Parker, for example. If the characters had good backstories, they wouldn't just be "redundant" or "cookiecutter". Deadpool is one of my favorite characters and I'm looking forward to seeing a movie...IF they "do him right". The X-Men movies are probably a good example as they had LOTS of cameos. So many that most of the characters that actually did anything just seemed superfluous or "just there for the special effects". I'm reminded of Magneto's attack on Alcatraz and how his "army of mutants" didn't actually even have any powers.

I think the reason a lot of people think The Lizard would work is that the character has been established in the context of the films. The character is different from Doctor Octopus because of that, if the could capitalize on it.

The one factor they need is to get rid of Mary Jane, regardless of a part 4 or a reboot.

Y'know, the companies are going to do what they want and we'll complain and still go see the movies. The one thing I wish they would figure out is that you don't need to kill the villain at the end of the movie.

It's almost always a bad idea but not always. The next step they need to learn is that just because they lived doesn't mean they need to be in the next movie (magento really just took up time in x2) Pirates 2 did that right.

I hate to say it but Dark Knight as a single installement was awesome, but I worry with the death of Heath Ledger there is going to be some massive challenges for a sequel considering all the hints the Joker would be back.

Y'know, the companies are going to do what they want and we'll complain and still go see the movies. The one thing I wish they would figure out is that you don't need to kill the villain at the end of the movie.

It's almost always a bad idea but not always. The next step they need to learn is that just because they lived doesn't mean they need to be in the next movie (magento really just took up time in x2) Pirates 2 did that right.

I hate to say it but Dark Knight as a single installement was awesome, but I worry with the death of Heath Ledger there is going to be some massive challenges for a sequel considering all the hints the Joker would be back.

Don't worry. Nolan promised that he would not do another Batman unless he would be able to make a movie that was even better than DK. And as a story teller and plot creator and director, I trust that he will be able to handle the lack of Joker.

This, at least, is what makes me happy about Raimi's stepping away from Spiderman. I like that Raimi had some integrity in his work and when he realized what he was creating was not up to par - his own standards or the fans - he let it go. As much as I will miss the characters and the actors (and the Bruce Campbell cameos!!!!), I am glad that he didn't make a movie that he is not proud of (although I'm not sure he's too proud of SP3, but that's a story for a different thread).

I think it is now unlikely to bring back the Joker since it some fans may see it as disrespectful. It is true that before Ledger's death, Batman 3 was going to focus more on the Clown Prince of Crime. However, because of his death, there were rumors of tiny rewrites in the Green Arrow film where instead of having a comeo of the joker, there is a prison scene where Joker's name appears on one of the jail cells.

I think it is now unlikely to bring back the Joker since it some fans may see it as disrespectful. It is true that before Ledger's death, Batman 3 was going to focus more on the Clown Prince of Crime. However, because of his death, there were rumors of tiny rewrites in the Green Arrow film where instead of having a comeo of the joker, there is a prison scene where Joker's name appears on one of the jail cells.

this is off-topic but why not just get a look alike of the late Heath Ledger and have the face of Joker sillhouettted a bit instead Ian Somerhalder could be used as the joker

this is off-topic but why not just get a look alike of the late Heath Ledger and have the face of Joker sillhouettted a bit instead Ian Somerhalder could be used as the joker

I think it would be meet with a backlash from the fans honestly. People would know it wasn't him and no matter how he did, they wouldn't accept him.

As far as Green arrow or "super Max" isn't that getting a complete rewrite?