Spidy is getting rebooted!

revsears

JUst saw this on ign. Raimi stood his ground and wouldn't make a crappy movie like spidy 3 (at least that's how i'm imagining it) and it's going to be pushed back a year and be Spidy in highschool!

Ya.

<sigh>

So now they want to reboot a series of movies that are still in the public consciousness, and place the hero back in highschool--instead of college.......and they do not think that this will NOT confuse audiences???

A reboot is a stupid idea because it means they will have to (or worse, CHOOSE to) cover ground already covered.

Why?

Why not keep going forward?

Change the director, change the cast if they must, but keep going forward.

If there's no good stories left to tell ( balderdash!) then just don't make any more movies and let the series lay as is.

Raimi stood his ground and wouldn't make a crappy movie like spidy 3

He already DID make a crappy movie like Spider-Man 3. It was called Spider-Man 3.

A reboot is completely ridiculous and unnecessary, even if 3 did suck, it did not completely crap all over everything we know about the franchise the way Batman and Robin did. All I need for a new Spidey movie is for them to tell a good Spidey story.

Anybody REALLY want to see the "missfit-teenager-bitten-by-a-radioactive-spider-and-must-now-learn-that-with-great-power-comes-great-responsibility" story retold all over again?

Of course, it seems to be Marvel policy for Spidey to never grow BEYOND the down-on-his-luck teenager (the reason why I'll never touch a Spidey comic) so a highschool Spidey reboot actually makes perfect sense. Tobey ain't no teenager and if I remember the third movie correctly, he was happy with MJ (another no-no according to Marvel).

Kotaku claims that Raimi walked out from the franchise because Sony wanted it to be in 3d and he does not know how to continue forward with the series

http://kotaku.com/5446016/how-spider+man-4s-implosion-could-affect-warcraft-movie

Seems the rumors about the movie having new actors and a new director is confirmed:

Here is the Sony press release:

Culver City, CA (January 11, 2010) -- Peter Parker is going back to high school when the next Spider-Man hits theaters in the summer of 2012. Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios announced today they are moving forward with a film based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on a teenager grappling with both contemporary human problems and amazing super-human crises.

The new chapter in the Spider-Man franchise produced by Columbia, Marvel Studios and Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin, will have a new cast and filmmaking team. Spider-Man 4 was to have been released in 2011, but had not yet gone into production.

“A decade ago we set out on this journey with Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire and together we made three Spider-Man films that set a new bar for the genre. When we began, no one ever imagined that we would make history at the box-office and now we have a rare opportunity to make history once again with this franchise. Peter Parker as an ordinary young adult grappling with extraordinary powers has always been the foundation that has made this character so timeless and compelling for generations of fans. We’re very excited about the creative possibilities that come from returning to Peter's roots and we look forward to working once again with Marvel Studios, Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin on this new beginning,” said Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment.

“Working on the Spider-Man movies was the experience of a lifetime for me. While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job,” said Sam Raimi.

“We have had a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration and friendship with Sam and Tobey and they have given us their best for the better part of the last decade.This is a bittersweet moment for us because while it is hard to imagine Spider-Man in anyone else’s hands, I know that this was a day that was inevitable,” said Matt Tolmach, president of Columbia Pictures, who has served as the studio’s chief production executive since the beginning of the franchise. “Now everything begins anew, and that’s got us all tremendously excited about what comes next. Under the continuing supervision of Avi and Laura, we have a clear vision for the future of Spider-Man and can’t wait to share this exciting new direction with audiences in 2012.”

"Spider-Man will always be an important franchise for Sony Pictures and a fresh start like this is a responsibility that we all take very seriously," said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures. "We have always believed that story comes first and story guides the direction of these films and as we move onto the next chapter, we will stay true to that principle and will do so with the highest respect for the source material and the fans and moviegoers who deserve nothing but the best when it comes to bringing these stories and characters to life on the big screen."

The studio will have more news about Spider-Man in 2012 in the coming weeks as it prepares for production of the film.

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/urgent-spider-man-4-scrapped-as-is-raimi-and-cast-out-franchise-reboot-planned/

Raimi stood his ground and wouldn't make a crappy movie like spidy 3

He already DID make a crappy movie like Spider-Man 3. It was called Spider-Man 3.

A reboot is completely ridiculous and unnecessary, even if 3 did suck, it did not completely crap all over everything we know about the franchise the way Batman and Robin did. All I need for a new Spidey movie is for them to tell a good Spidey story.

Anybody REALLY want to see the "missfit-teenager-bitten-by-a-radioactive-spider-and-must-now-learn-that-with-great-power-comes-great-responsibility" story retold all over again?

Of course, it seems to be Marvel policy for Spidey to never grow BEYOND the down-on-his-luck teenager (the reason why I'll never touch a Spidey comic) so a highschool Spidey reboot actually makes perfect sense. Tobey ain't no teenager and if I remember the third movie correctly, he was happy with MJ (another no-no according to Marvel).

To me Spidy 3 was a franchise killer, just like x 3. How can you move forward after such a cluster? From begining to end it was a mess. I might have went and seen a new cast picking up in Spidy's adult life w/ no reference to the previous spidy films. But it would have been hard in that direction too.

Why was spidy so popular he got a parade? why did he act cocky in till he got the symbiote? the dance number? 3 villians?

I don't know that I want to see spidy 1 again. Aside from a new leads, and goblin being genitic more so than technology based ( I want a real monster!) the movie was just about perfect. But we may have to get that to move on. I would want them to wait 5 years or so so it will be fesher, it still feels to knew. But that isn't going to happen. Sony doesn't want the rights to go back to marvel, and therefore disney.

Whoever the cast needs to be willing to keep the mask on! That's important, that scene bothered me in 2.

And i'm with you on the comics. Marvel won't move forward and hasn't in a long while, i stopped buying comics in general because of fiascos like Spidy's deal with the devil.

Well it's about time. Like X3, Spidey 3 messed the series up. Unlike the X-men films though, all the Spidey movies (IMO) sucked. Power-Ranger Goblin, Mind-controlled Doc Ock, and do I even need to start listing what was wrong with 3?

Anyway, hopefully they stick closer to the original comics this time, Spidey keeps his damn mask on, the actor playing Spidey actually looks the part/isn't too old/can act, Spidey mouths off what with the one-liners and such - he was way too silent in the old movies. ECT

So, out with the old, in with the new!

Plus, if they'd make good movies in the first place, they wouldn't have to bother with rebooting all these movies! @hmmm@

If COLUMBIA PICS. exed Spidey 4, well.... Thank GOD and I make cheers for it.

Although Mr. Maguire will always be SPIDER-MAN in my mind, i can also recall the AWESOME (YES, AWESOME!) Incredible HULK movie.

If that will be the formula, then c'mon baby, bring it ON!.

SPIDER-MAN needs to shake the silver screen AGAIN! like it did back in 2002.

J.JONAH JAMESON, AUNT MAY & BETTY BRANT were wonderful portrayed by their respective performers.

Also Mr. Alfred Molina will always be the PERFECT Doctor Octopus, and Mrs. Bryce Dallas-Howard will always be my choice for GWEN STACY and Mr. Thomas Haden Church was excellent as the SANDMAN....

Well, all the rest is CRAP! SORRY but all the resting cast didn't appealed to me as their comic counterparts.

Now I hope that if Mr. Malkovich and Miss. ANNE HATHAWAY @luv@ are considered for the new flick, then they are absolutely WELCOME.

I just read the rumor that Twilight guy Robert Patersomething will be the next Peter Parker. Completely predictable rumor wise as he's one of the big stars right now. It also holds about as much water as Megan Fox Catwoman. Sill, it made me want to vomit a bit.

• Like 1

The reports that claim this and that are actually making me still not believing this. Just because one place says he this guy is doing this and another contradicts it by saying no he is..... @loll@ I will believe it when this really happens

Draven

Well I'm kinda glad the series is getting a reboot; it worries me a little bit though. I'm really disgusted by all the casting rumors for Pete. I really hope they go with an unknown actor if they go through with the whole high school thing.

Robert Pattinson

Shia labeouf

Zack Efron

Micheal Cera

Jesse Eisenberg

Those are some of the TERRIBLE choices. Micheal Cera has to be the worst, he can't act as anything other than an awkward teen and I'm not even sure steroids could help him change his wimpy physique.

The only decent choice I've seen is Joseph Gordon Levitt. He looks young but I don't think he could pass for a high school kid.

Well I'm kinda glad the series is getting a reboot; it worries me a little bit though. I'm really disgusted by all the casting rumors for Pete. I really hope they go with an unknown actor if they go through with the whole high school thing.

Robert Pattinson

Shia labeouf

Zack Efron

Micheal Cera

Jesse Eisenberg

Those are some of the TERRIBLE choices. Micheal Cera has to be the worst, he can't act as anything other than an awkward teen and I'm not even sure steroids could help him change his wimpy physique.

The only decent choice I've seen is Joseph Gordon Levitt. He looks young but I don't think he could pass for a high school kid.

robert pattinson is the worst choice on their but that is only my opinion because I hate Twilight

I too am hoping for an unkown. Get oen young and contract them for 6 movies, keeping the mask on while spider-man. A young unkown will be more likely to take it and stick around.

Ign recently talked about not wanting another origin story and mentioned the way Hulk redo showed origins shots in a few minutes before the movie really began. I think that would be the way to go. They did similar themselves at the beginning of spidy 2 or 3 (can't remember which one)

show Parker as a nerd, maybe getting picked, a shot of a science trip, the spider bit. The fame as a wrestler, letting the robber go, holding uncle ben etc. Then we can leap right into whatever conflict he gets into this movie.

Maybe super genious Parker is taking advance placement college classes after highschool and Dr. Conners has a little accident?

Robert Pattinson

Shia labeouf

Zack Efron

Micheal Cera

Jesse Eisenberg

robert pattinson is the worst choice on their but that is only my opinion because I hate Twilight

No, it's not an oppinion, it's a fact. There is nothing even remotely resembling Peter Parker in Patterson.

This is just a laundry list of currently popular actors and it's almost obligatory for reporters to pick and choose names from just to get people interested.

Robert Pattinson

Shia labeouf

Zack Efron

Micheal Cera

Jesse Eisenberg

No, it's not an oppinion, it's a fact. There is nothing even remotely resembling Peter Parker in Patterson.

This is just a laundry list of currently popular actors and it's almost obligatory for reporters to pick and choose names from just to get people interested.

thank god I F@#$ing hate twilight

No offense to the ppl on the list, but I don't see Parker in them. I can see Cera resemblin Peter a bit but then again, he seems more like a comedic straight man than an action hero with chops.

I think Labeof is a strange choice considering that his personality doesn't fit

Maguire works since he can play the nice nerdy guy w/o any effort.

I read somewhere that Spiderman is "prepetually 24".

What bugs me the most is the character has, what, like 6 different books he stars in? And they STILL can't think of a continuation of the story?

Those two combined are the character's biggest problem. The first is the non-age factor. And it is MORE than just non-aging. It is non-growth. As rev pointed out, his "deal with the devil" was probably one of the stupidist, worst stories in comic history. Why did they do it? To keep Spiderman from growing. Heaven forbid the 8,000 year old Aunt May ACTUALLY pass away.

And, yes I think the devil plot was worse than the whole "clone saga" debacle. I actually LIKED Ben Reilly. He was how Spiderman could have been if Peter Parker wasn't continually portrayed with "teenage angst" even at 24.

The second is over-exposure. How can ONE GUY handle the events of 6 different comic stories? Eesh.

As for the movie itself. I heard they were going to reboot Fantastic Four too, but that is neither here nor there. Rebooting the Hulk worked (the second movie was MUCH better than the first) but it was able to work because it was a single movie. This one already has 2 sequels. Doesn't work so well.

It makes you wonder just how bad the 4th story was that they would even consider doing a reboot.

It makes you wonder just how bad the 4th story was that they would even consider doing a reboot.

well it wasgoing to have felica hardy as vultress instead of black cat and no goblins :( willem dafoe most likely wouldn't be in it :( the sandman could've had a cameo so pretty bad

hopefully they will have greengoblin again but based more on his civil war costume

Honestly, I hope not. Batman Begins restarted the franchise and they didn't throw Joker right into the mix at the beginning of the new saga. The Green Goblin is one of Peter's greatest foes - I hope they hold off on him. If nothing else than because the entire trilogy was about the Osbourns. Batman Begins brought out two relatively unknown villains as far as the general movie goer audience is concerned and I would like to see a reboot of Spider-Man follow this same pattern.

Although, to be honest, I'd rather there NOT be a reboot, but I suppose that is a moot point. Throw something new at us. Spider-Man has a gigantic cast in his own personal Rogues Gallery. Why not toss Electro, the Shocker, Rhino, Mysterio, Vulture, Lizard, Kraven, Chameleon,the Puma , Hydro-Man, Scorpion etc etc etc...

Take a page from the newest series and go the way of the gangster (the revamp of Tombstone was great)like the Kingpin, Hammerhead, or Silvermane. And for the love of all that is holy let the kid keep his mask on, fer crissakes.

hopefully they will have greengoblin again but based more on his civil war costume

Honestly, I hope not. Batman Begins restarted the franchise and they didn't throw Joker right into the mix at the beginning of the new saga. The Green Goblin is one of Peter's greatest foes - I hope they hold off on him. If nothing else than because the entire trilogy was about the Osbourns. Batman Begins brought out two relatively unknown villains as far as the general movie goer audience is concerned and I would like to see a reboot of Spider-Man follow this same pattern.

Although, to be honest, I'd rather there NOT be a reboot, but I suppose that is a moot point. Throw something new at us. Spider-Man has a gigantic cast in his own personal Rogues Gallery. Why not toss Electro, the Shocker, Rhino, Mysterio, Vulture, Lizard, Kraven, Chameleon,the Puma , Hydro-Man, Scorpion etc etc etc...

Take a page from the newest series and go the way of the gangster (the revamp of Tombstone was great)like the Kingpin, Hammerhead, or Silvermane. And for the love of all that is holy let the kid keep his mask on, fer crissakes.

To be honest as much as he has been hinted at, i think it's Lizard's turn fair and square.

I agree with you, green goblin needs to be built up, pushed to the 2nd movie, Maybe the third (that way Harry can remind a good friend longer)

Agreed mask stays on!