Is this really the new HISS tank?!?

Jeff

It carries ONE figure...the driver? At least the original had room for a driver, a gunner and pegs on the back end to carry a couple of extra troops.

Yes only one driver no gunner. The Mobat had one driver. I'm OK with it. I hate guys just hanging off the back of something.

According to the rather lengthy article in the club newsletter from a month or two ago, it does have a rear internal compartment for a gunner or prisoner. There weren't any clear images of the feature in that article, but from what I rememberof the proto shots online where the hatch is open, it looks like a hatch is in the lower rear and a figure can be slipped inside. It's not a substantive feature, it's more like some of the newer Star Wars vehicles where they use the void space for a figure... but it's not a complete waste either. If these new vehicle were bigger and more thought out (rather than just cramming them with features) they'd be excellent. The basic designs look great, but their execution is a weakend by cheaping out. Certainly better than the organic hybrid crap from a few years back and the chunky playschool stuff from just before that.

As a HISS tank I don't think this is that great. As a sci-fi, Metal Gear style high tech scout tank, it's pure win. If it comes in around a $15 price point, it's got a place in my collection.

If cobra invented BATS why can't the afford sleek vehicles that require less operators?

With BATS and unmanned, sleek, remote controlled vehicles, why would they need anything else? No Vipers for every specialty, no troops, no various ranks of ninja's...just BATS and remote HISS tanks. :)

boooooring!

I do like the game/resolute design better though.

Yeah, that one would be nice.

The new VAMP is even better, for once I actually want a vehicle for the vehicle and not hte driver. That said it will probably cost 25$ and i'll pass.

I do like that VAMP also. There's one plus for the new vehicles.

yes it is the new hisstank. i rather have this then the same old crap. i like the update. its bad ass and futuristic, but eh.

oi. this isn't the 80's anymore. its 2010 we're going forward not backward.

There's no need to crap on the classic original stuff. We ALL want new and improved and updated. I'm just not satisfied with THIS concept for a new and improved updated HISS. Are you saying that as long as it's DIFFERENT than the original it's BETTER? That's weak.

The new style HISS in the video game is very cool looking. This prototype is not....IMO.

It carries ONE figure...the driver? At least the original had room for a driver, a gunner and pegs on the back end to carry a couple of extra troops.

Yes only one driver no gunner. The Mobat had one driver. I'm OK with it. I hate guys just hanging off the back of something.

According to the rather lengthy article in the club newsletter from a month or two ago, it does have a rear internal compartment for a gunner or prisoner. There weren't any clear images of the feature in that article, but from what I rememberof the proto shots online where the hatch is open, it looks like a hatch is in the lower rear and a figure can be slipped inside. It's not a substantive feature, it's more like some of the newer Star Wars vehicles where they use the void space for a figure... but it's not a complete waste either. If these new vehicle were bigger and more thought out (rather than just cramming them with features) they'd be excellent. The basic designs look great, but their execution is a weakend by cheaping out. Certainly better than the organic hybrid crap from a few years back and the chunky playschool stuff from just before that.

As a HISS tank I don't think this is that great. As a sci-fi, Metal Gear style high tech scout tank, it's pure win. If it comes in around a $15 price point, it's got a place in my collection.

I'd be willing to bet the mini-HISS scout that comes with the mail-in Cobra Commander will be able to deploy from the rear hatch also - I'd think they'll make a regular black one for general release at some point.

I'd LOVE to see the game design made too. This could be their light tank that could be sling-loaded into battle and then make a big HISS mbt out of the game tank. I'm just psyched for moving treads. I HATE with a capital "HATE" most molded treads and they've been making toy bulldozers and whatnot with rolling treads for years - I'm glad to see them take the time to bring them into the Joe line too.

yes it is the new hisstank. i rather have this then the same old crap. i like the update. its bad ass and futuristic, but eh.

oi. this isn't the 80's anymore. its 2010 we're going forward not backward.

There's no need to crap on the classic original stuff. We ALL want new and improved and updated. I'm just not satisfied with THIS concept for a new and improved updated HISS. Are you saying that as long as it's DIFFERENT than the original it's BETTER? That's weak.

The new style HISS in the video game is very cool looking. This prototype is not....IMO.

eh. i get bored after the same hisstank thats reissued. least this gives it a lil 'bam' to it.

And that's why i like it. If cobra invented BATS why can't the afford sleek vehicles that require less operators?

The new VAMP is even better, for once I actually want a vehicle for the vehicle and not hte driver. That said it will probably cost 25$ and i'll pass.

First, what VAMP are we talking about?

Less operators? Back with RAH vehicles were considered "accessories" to the figures and with 500 figures, you NEED the room for all those guys. Foot pegs ARE a little weird (why would I ride on the OUTSIDE of a tank or jeep? Make some room in there, will ya!?) I don't know if that "accessory" mentality has changed, but it still makes sense to make room for several guys in a vehicle if possible.

And that's why i like it. If cobra invented BATS why can't the afford sleek vehicles that require less operators?

Less operators? Back with RAH vehicles were considered "accessories" to the figures and with 500 figures, you NEED the room for all those guys. Foot pegs ARE a little weird (why would I ride on the OUTSIDE of a tank or jeep? Make some room in there, will ya!?) I don't know if that "accessory" mentality has changed, but it still makes sense to make room for several guys in a vehicle if possible.

You might have to check out another site for pics of the Vamp. Terrodrome and that one place we can't mention has pics.

As far as less operators, not every vehicle is an apc. Sometimes that makes sense and it's great, but not all of them. THe ringneck for example was a poor vehicle because it looked like it should have carried more, this is designed slick and the one driver fits that imo.

eh. i get bored after the same hisstank thats reissued. least this gives it a lil 'bam' to it.

Well, I would agree with that (and I DO like this new HISS), but I do think the classic design should have been retooled the same way they did the Ghost Hawk, Moccasin, VAMP and RAM. The old HISS was dated even back in the '80s, with its big, blocky plastic "treads". It could have used a lot more new detailing for the 25th line, much more so than the aforementioned vehicles.

Well, I would agree with that (and I DO like this new HISS), but I do think the classic design should have been retooled the same way they did the Ghost Hawk, Moccasin, VAMP and RAM. The old HISS was dated even back in the '80s, with its big, blocky plastic "treads". It could have used a lot more new detailing for the 25th line, much more so than the aforementioned vehicles.

One of my big complaints about the 25th is that the vehicles were not "sexed" up enough. The HISS could have had opening side-bins, more detailed cockpit and gun mount, and just an overall additional layer of model kit-like detailing and intricacy.

It held on to its toy-like beginnings instead.

The new VAMP seems to look a bit more like a model-kit, which is a plus for me.

The RAH line of the 80's were TRULY a childs toyline. They were designed with REAL play features in mind and given some thought as to how to make that play more fun for the child. The ability to pile on your action figures was one of them, and you are 100% correct that the vehicles were just more "accessories" to the figures. Hasbro tried this concept with things like "action attack" or "sound attack" and all the spring-loaded crap, but it doesn't need to be that involved. Just have some cool accessories and places to put htings, store htings and pile on the troops (foot pegs) and you've got the basics of "childs play". I've cleaned up after my children enough times to see the state of these toys after they've been playing with them, and there's figures stuck in the vehicles, backpacks, guns jammed into all compartments, weird combinations of helmets stuck on figures and you name it. Stuff i would clearly think "that doesn't go with THAT character, and that's not THEIR vehicle, but that's because I'm to old to play with them. :D

One of my big complaints about the 25th is that the vehicles were not "sexed" up enough. The HISS could have had opening side-bins, more detailed cockpit and gun mount, and just an overall additional layer of model kit-like detailing and intricacy.

Heck, I would have been satisfied with working treads, or even the mere APPEARANCE that they actually worked. I've always hated that big block of plastic in between the HISS Tank treads.

You might have to check out another site for pics of the Vamp. Terrodrome and that one place we can't mention has pics.

As far as less operators, not every vehicle is an apc. Sometimes that makes sense and it's great, but not all of them. THe ringneck for example was a poor vehicle because it looked like it should have carried more, this is designed slick and the one driver fits that imo.

Ah, thanks. I took a look and it reminds me more of the Hammer then a VAMP.

The video game version DEFINITELY would be more to my liking...

rochiss.jpg

jesus if that thing looks horrid and the if they use it in the movie all the joes would have to do to destroy is hit with onlt one RPG.what happened to the design used in the game

Hey, that one looks good! I see some resemblance there, but just not quite the same monstrosity as what the prototype is looking like?

exactly. it was the one used in the game and also the one in resolute so we may just get a toy of it even if it's not in the movie line they could add it to a new resolute line of figures

Hell, the video game even has a BADASS lookin' Serpent Armor...

rocarmor.jpg

Heck, I would have been satisfied with working treads, or even the mere APPEARANCE that they actually worked. I've always hated that big block of plastic in between the HISS Tank treads.

Here's what I did awhile back with my HISSes...

img3041dd8.jpg

img3042xj0.jpg

l_a2f0e6e73d007a0210dba05d80f46fd0.jpg

The treads are from the Tonka "Rugged" toys, this one being the front-loader I believe. They're about 10 bucks a pop, but the rubber treads slip right over the plastic ones and make it look beefier.

I also cut out some of the plastic between the treads to make it look less like the solid block of plastic.

img3041dd8.jpg

img3042xj0.jpg

The treads are from the Tonka "Rugged" toys, this one being the front-loader I believe. They're about 10 bucks a pop, but the rubber treads slip right over the plastic ones and make it look beefier.

I also cut out some of the plastic between the treads to make it look less like the solid block of plastic.

Does it "roll" or just for looks?

snip

Does it "roll" or just for looks?

For looks. If I hadn't cut part of the front away to give it some ground clearance (which removed the front wheels), the wheels would still have just barely worked, but I elected to sacrifice that for appearances. I've never been a big fan of the "floating" roll anyway so it wasn't a big loss for me.

The video game version DEFINITELY would be more to my liking...

rochiss.jpg

I wouldn't count out the possibility of getting a game/Resolute (basically the same design) HISS eventually. Maybe marketed as a "Heavy HISS" or "Main Battle HISS" or something. I think this new version we're already getting (The PoC one) looks pretty awesome for what a HISS is originally supposed to be (HIgh Speed Sentry)...sleek, well-armed, and without nearly as much wasted bulk/space as the original. Does it look thinly armored? Sure...but Cobra never struck me as an organization that's too concerned about survivability (or you can always just chalk it up to "Destro-Tech" armor that's lighter and thinner than anything in the real world but just as tough). We're already getting a "HISS Scout" along with this new default "HISS" so that definitely leaves room for more HISS variants in the future, including perhaps something very similar to the design above. Hasbro is certainly aware that design is popular with the fans, as it's been brought up in several Q&As.

The main problem with it is that to do it justice (and to include the troop-carrying capability displayed in Resolute) it'd probably have to be at a larger package/higher pricepoint than the Bravo vehicle class, and given the current clearancing of Night Ravens going on just about everywhere, it seems iffy that the "larger vehicle" segment is going to stick around for Joe next year (Yeah, I know they showed off a Raven repaint, but it very well may not make it to market).

yeah they could release the game designed one as a batlle tank kind of like what the nazis had with panzers have one for light assaults I.E panzer half track and a main battle tank I.E. the leopard 2 tank

yeah they could release the game designed one as a batlle tank kind of like what the nazis had with panzers have one for light assaults I.E panzer half track and a main battle tank I.E. the leopard 2 tank

FYI the Leopard 2 is a modern MBT, you probably mean something like the Tiger I/II or Panther.

FYI the Leopard 2 is a modern MBT, you probably mean something like the Tiger I/II or Panther.

sorry keep getting the leopard 2 confused with tiger 1 need to brush up on my studies of nazi technology

• 2 weeks later...