Trek 2 News

Wheeljack35

Check it our here

http://insidemovies.moviefone.com/2009/12/30/star-trek-2-launching-in-2010/?icid=main|aim|dl2|link4|http%3A%2F%2Finsidemovies.moviefone.com%2F2009%2F12%2F30%2Fstar-trek-2-launching-in-2010%2F

'Star Trek 2' Launching in 2010?

|

By: Scott HarrisComments Batten down the hatches, sci-fi fans, because J. J. Abrams is preparing to boldly go where he's already been before: the world of 'Star Trek.'

According to a report on MTV.com, 'Star Trek' actress Zoe Saldana recently revealed to the network that Abrams is in the process of hashing out a plot for a sequel to this year's blockbuster reboot of the venerable franchise, which brought in $257 million at the box office. That performance almost guaranteed a follow-up, with the main question being how soon it would enter production.

Now, thanks to Saldana, who played the driven communications expert Uhura, we know the answer: 2010.

"I spoke to J.J. and Bryan Burk, his producing partner at Bad Robot," Saldana told MTV, "and they are still in the middle of building the script with Alex Kurtzman and Bob Orci, and we'll probably be going into pre-production around this time next year."

That means 'Star Trek' fans could see the finished product as early as Christmas of 2011, though the amount of special effects work likely to be required could push the date back to summer 2012.

Of course, effect-driven blockbusters are nothing new to either Abrams ('Cloverfield') or Saldana ('Avatar'), so hopefully once they get the storyline worked out, the film will fall into place quickly. Which is good news for Trekkers, who have just one command for Abrams: "Make it so."

A few hopes for Star Trek 2:

Don't bend over backwards trying to find a part for William Shatner. We all love original Kirk, but let's not shoe horn him in when you're trying to tell a new story with a capable cast.

Elisha Cuthbert as Yeoman Rand!

Klingons! (I wanted to put Gorns! here but we can save them for ST3).

Don't bend over backwards trying to find a part for William Shatner. We all love original Kirk, but let's not shoe horn him in when you're trying to tell a new story with a capable cast.

Yes. The homage has been done. Let's let this new Star Trek forge its own mythology. There's no need to keep tipping the hat to the original with every outing.

• Like 1

I'm fine with spock being in it since it made sense but that original history is gone now, it wouldn't make sense to have any more of the original crew in it ... Plus didn't he turn down a role or something in the original film ?.. If so even more reason to say #$## him in the next lol! He would only want in on it now because people like it! @loll@

Either way I am excited about the next film! They just better use all the same damn actors :D I've been saying its such a shame we wouldn't be able to get a tv series out of this so its nice to get another movie so quickly !

• Like 1

... Plus didn't he turn down a role or something in the original film ?..

According to Shatner, JJ never approached him about being in it

Hm! Wonder where I read about that then!

Just the other day I was actually pondering on what a "good story line" for the new Trek movie would be. I personally would like to see the movie/ sequel made out of one of the classic 60's episodes. I was especially thinking the movie would be sweet if they rehashed " The Doomsday Machine " or one of the other great, classic episodes. I mean think about it! This new Star Trek is all about the classic crew even though the timeline and history have been altered somewhat some of those classic adventures would probably still happen just in a different aspect. Bring it on! JJ!

Just the other day I was actually pondering on what a "good story line" for the new Trek movie would be. I personally would like to see the movie/ sequel made out of one of the classic 60's episodes. I was especially thinking the movie would be sweet if they rehashed " The Doomsday Machine " or one of the other great, classic episodes. I mean think about it! This new Star Trek is all about the classic crew even though the timeline and history have been altered somewhat some of those classic adventures would probably still happen just in a different aspect. Bring it on! JJ!

Altered somewhat? They killed off 99% of the vulcans. That's gonna have long reaching and long lasting consequences.

Altered somewhat? They killed off 99% of the vulcans. That's gonna have long reaching and long lasting consequences.

Not to mention all the people/Federation officers Nero killed.. and some Klingons.. Nero going back in time had the ripple effect of a boulder falling off a skyscraper into a pond.

Not to mention all the people/Federation officers Nero killed.. and some Klingons.. Nero going back in time had the ripple effect of a boulder falling off a skyscraper into a pond.

True, but killing off the 2nd most influential race in the federation is the big one. In this time line Vulcans will not have as big a voice in the federation. Policies, procedures, tech, etc will all be affected.

klingons,vulcans and the federation are all ticked with what nero did man I would not want to be a romulan after what nero did :D

.but killing off the 2nd most influential race in the federation is the big one. In this time line Vulcans will not have as big a voice in the federation. Policies, procedures, tech, etc will all be affected.

That assumes they write the next movie with any kind of adherence to internal logic like that. The movie was FULL of bizarre stuff that made no sense, or threw out the "rules" with complete disregard.

An example.....why maroon Kirk on Delta Vega at all? Makes literally no sense.....wasting a pod like that, and potentially killing Kirk in the process ( doubtful that such a procedure is considered "safe"). Why not just place him in the brig?

No, they needed a contrived story-point to get him to interact with Spock-Prime.

I think they will simply disregard the near-extinction of the Vulcan race, until they need a reason for Spock to have an emotional turn. One could argue with them until they were blue in the face, but the new tact is to plunge headlong into the story, for the story's sake and .........oh pffft, who cares about maintaining something like internal logic?

Thats exactly why I think it's a great idea IMO to rehash a classic episode like "The Doomsday Machine", because of the dramatic altering of the timeline. I think the dramatic clash between Kirk and Commodore Matt Decker would be great for a movie. Since the timeline has been altered "The Doomsday Machine" plot would happen several years earlier than originally intended. Now the Doomsday Machine could enter Federation Territory, making a bee-line for earth. IMO I think that episode has the right dramatic story/ plot line to make a great movie!

Thats exactly why I think it's a great idea IMO to rehash a classic episode like "The Doomsday Machine", because of the dramatic altering of the timeline. I think the dramatic clash between Kirk and Commodore Matt Decker would be great for a movie. Since the timeline has been altered "The Doomsday Machine" plot would happen several years earlier than originally intended. Now the Doomsday Machine could enter Federation Territory, making a bee-line for earth. IMO I think that episode has the right dramatic story/ plot line to make a great movie! Plus we could get more of an intricate connection to Star Trek: TMP because of Will Decker. Even though TMP events will be different now. I just like the setting for this type of movie. If you cast the right actor to play Commodore Matt Decker ( I was thinking somewhere along the lines like Kevin Spacey or Gary Oldman ) so that he is an unstable basket case it would be awesome. But that's just me.