Hawkman headed to the big screen ?

Wheeljack35

Oof! I'd love a Hawkman movie but I just don't know if it can be pulled off.

Hawkman's biggest problem lies in the fact that he lacks any sort of definitive origin. Please don't hold up the mish mash that's passing as the current origin. Try explaining it to a non-comic fan and watch them run from you. Hell! Try explaining it to hardcore comic fans and even their eyes will glaze over long before you explain how Nth metal ties into resurrections. Sadly, Hawkman is one of many, many victims of DC's Crisis On Infinite Earths where DC shotgunned his history and different writers and editors have been doing patchwork repair jobs ever since. The current origin is... serviceable I suppose. It's the best possible stitch job that could've been done given the repeated shreddings this character has undergone in the last twenty years. The current origin however will bore and confuse the mass movie going market.

The Silver Age alien Hawkman story is probably the neatest, tightest of all the origins. I just don't trust contemporary writers NOT to shoehorn in all that egyptian stuff and it sounds like they're hellbent on doing just that. (Indiana Jones, Da Vinci Code, and GHOST???!!!) I suspect if Hollywood doesn't abandon all known origins all together, they'll throw up some soup made up of pieces of the both GA and SA stories with some Hollywood deviations thrown in to fill some gaps ...and whenever Hollywood deviates from the source material, that's usually where everything goes wrong.

I'm a Hawkman fan, but really don't know how well this would go over.

Then again Blade did well for Marvel.

Not that there's an obvious similarity between these two comic character; other than they're relative unknowns to the world at large.

I think DC should focus on un-fudging Superman and giving that series a proper reboot. Love Christopher Reeve as Superman; but no more Bryan Singer love letters to what's come before. Worse, no more director's trying to tie their work to the Donner films. @grumpy@

DC can't get crap onto the screens while Marvel throws them up there twice to three times a year

Hmmm...So much for "The Dark Knight"...The top-grossing film of 2008...

The reason that DC doesn't "get them up there twice to three times a year" unlike MARVEL is that DC prefers to take their time and do it right, instead of rushing. BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT were, in my humble opinion, the BEST comic movies ever made. I have no doubt that the planned GREEN LANTERN movie will also be very good.

MARVEL has made some REAL good movies (SPIDER-MAN 1 and 2, IRON-MAN, the 2nd HULK movie, and X-MEN 2), but many of them (both FANTASTIC FOUR movies, both PUNISHER movies, X-MEN 3, SPIDER-MAN 3, and MAN-THING were absolute crap).

I'd prefer to wait to see quality, not be force-fed junk.

And I may be alone in this opinion, but I thought SUPERMAN RETURNS was OK, too.

The reason that DC doesn't "get them up there twice to three times a year" unlike MARVEL is that DC prefers to take their time and do it right, instead of rushing. BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT were, in my humble opinion, the BEST comic movies ever made. I have no doubt that the planned GREEN LANTERN movie will also be very good.

That's got way less to do with DC taking their time; and more to do with Joel Schumacher piledriving the Batman franchise face first into the pavement so badly that nobody wanted to touch it afterward.

Kind of like licking a candybar so nobody else will eat it.

I think that the story from the justice league animated series is the most cohesive and easiest to translate to a movie, with that said, I´m not sure the general public would have much love for a movie about a bunch of aliens with artificial wings (seeing as he could not be the only one), both him and hawkgirl come as way more interesting when they interact with the rest of the justice league. I kind of imagine this movie to be to similar to the way they are setting up the green lantern flick, except that it would be much less interesting visually. And if they go with hawkman being the only superbeing (aside from the bad guy they choose) he might come (again to the general public) as somewhat of a superman with wings, or some people might even confuse him with the angel from xmen, and I say this as a comic book nerd with lots of "normal" friends who wouldn´t know who the hell he is (or to differentiate marvel and dc characters) save from vague memories from the superfriends. If indeed it does get made, I hope it does well, but I wouldn´t bet on it.

That's got way less to do with DC taking their time; and more to do with Joel Schumacher piledriving the Batman franchise face first into the pavement so badly that nobody wanted to touch it afterward.

Kind of like licking a candybar so nobody else will eat it.

Disagree completely. Joel Schumacher's desecration of the Batman franchise happened 10 full years before "THE DARK KNIGHT" hit the theaters. It wasn't a matter of no one wanting to touch the franchise again...PLENTY of people did...It was a matter of DC waiting until they had the right script, right director, and right cast.

So I reiterate my point: DC waits to do it right...Marvel cranks them out, ands it's a 50/50 proposition as to whether it will be a quality product.

Disagree completely. Joel Schumacher's desecration of the Batman franchise happened 10 full years before "THE DARK KNIGHT" hit the theaters. It wasn't a matter of no one wanting to touch the franchise again...PLENTY of people did...It was a matter of DC waiting until they had the right script, right director, and right cast.

So I reiterate my point: DC waits to do it right...Marvel cranks them out, ands it's a 50/50 proposition as to whether it will be a quality product.

Explain Superman Returns, Catwoman, and Steel to name a few? @smilepunch@

You don't go from crapping out a Batman movie every two to three years, to nothing because you're waiting for Mr. Right. Fans and movie critics had concerns about Batman Begins when it was announced, but hindsight is 20/20 and the average attention span is shorter than a cats.

DC can't get crap onto the screens while Marvel throws them up there twice to three times a year

MARVEL has made some REAL good movies (SPIDER-MAN 1 and 2, IRON-MAN, the 2nd HULK movie, and X-MEN 2), but many of them (both FANTASTIC FOUR movies, both PUNISHER movies, X-MEN 3, SPIDER-MAN 3, and MAN-THING were absolute crap).

I'd prefer to wait to see quality, not be force-fed junk.

And I may be alone in this opinion, but I thought SUPERMAN RETURNS was OK, too.

Ok, I can't believe you took the comment literally as if DC never puts a movie on the big screen? Anyway, I highly doubt the problem lies in them, "waiting to do it just right", its some other political BS at Warner Brothers. Also its hard to take anyone serious who thinks Superman Returns was ok, that is by far the most terrible superhero movie on the planet, oh yeah so was X-Men 2, X3 was not good but much better than X2.

There are some terrible big wigs at Warner Brothers, that is why they can't get films onto the big screen, look how many projects have been abandoned and cancelled (Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, Superman and Batman, The Justice League, and all of these in short period of time)

Batman was just lucky (oh yeah Batman Begins, it too slow and unwatchable now). I love DC but I can't deny that at the very least the worst Marvel Movies are watchable to some degree, I think the problem lies in Warner Brothers, hell they picked the whimpy Brian Singer and his motley crew of terrible writers for Superman Returns.

Explain Superman Returns, Catwoman, and Steel to name a few? smile2.gif

You don't go from crapping out a Batman movie every two to three years, to nothing because you're waiting for Mr. Right. Fans and movie critics had concerns about Batman Begins when it was announced, but hindsight is 20/20 and the average attention span is shorter than a cats.

Ganesha is right

Explain Superman Returns, Catwoman, and Steel to name a few? @smilepunch@

I enjoyed SUPERMAN RETURNS much more than any of the Christopher Reeve SUPERMAN movies, and I don't know why it gets so much criticism.

CATWOMAN suffered from poor writing. At the time it was green-lighted, Halle Berry had just won a Best-Actress Oscar, so on paper, it probably looked like a good idea. It also had Sharon Stone, another A-List actress (back then, at least). In short, CATWOMAN wasn't "rushed", it was poorly executed, and since the premise of this thread is how MARVEL cranks'em out, that's a relevant point.

STEEL was a mid-90's anomaly that had very little to do with the character as he appears in the comics. It was a weird star-vehicle for Shaq, which bombed.

And it's not exactly a revelation that some "fans" had reservations about BATMAN BEGINS when it was announced...But since Fan-Boys ALWAYS have reservations when a comics-movie is announced, who cares? I, for one, had no reservations at all. Based on the cast, the director, and the writer, I knew it was going to be a hit, and I'm not the only one.

So I stand by my original assertion. I have to, 'cuz I'm right.

@smilepunch@

I honestly do not see hawkman being able to carry a flim own his own. I guess i always saw him with the JLA and other groups so i see him in more of a group setting. But if done right i guess it could work. We will just have to see.

I would like to see green lantern befor hawks but as long as DC is getting some flim love it's great

• Like 1

Movies DC should make before Hawkman:

Green Lantern

Flash

Wonder Woman

Captain Marvel Shazam

Justice League

Superman & Batman

Supergirl

Power Girl

Batgirl

Another Superman movie

Two more Batman movies

You forgot the Captain Triumph movie in your list....

Green Lantern

Flash

Wonder Woman

Captain Marvel Shazam

Justice League

Superman & Batman

Supergirl

Power Girl

Batgirl

Another Superman movie

Two more Batman movies

You forgot the Captain Triuph movie in your list....

I'd be all-over a "CAPTAIN TRIUMPH" movie! Especially if it was done retro-style, like ROCKETEER, or SKY CAPTAIN.

Green Lantern

Flash

Wonder Woman

Captain Marvel Shazam

Justice League

Superman & Batman

Supergirl

Power Girl

Batgirl

Another Superman movie

Two more Batman movies

I'm kind of saddened by the recent Shazam movie news being nixed.

I'm not a huge fan of Dwayne Johnson's body of work; but man - he would have made a pretty awesome Black Adam. At least visually. :(

Supergirl is apparently being worked on with Taylor Swift.

A World's Finest - errrr sorry Superman / Batman for you kids, won't happen until Warner Brothers figure out how to make a good damned Superman movie again. Another one I wish the rumors came true with, I think the Wachowski Bros. do a fantastic job with Superman. Dammit! :(

JLA would require build up as well.

Green Lantern is being worked on presently, although I wish it were Bradley Cooper from the rumored Hal actors and not Ryan Reynolds. :\

Wonder Woman is lost thanks to cold feet with female lead flicks. . . Although I'd love to see Rena Sofer as Diana. She's got the eyes.