Scored the ROC Pit today

Crimson Twins

First, let me say that if you live near a Navy base, and know someone that has an ID card so they can shop at the NEX, and if you really want one of these, you have to get them NOW! The NEX at Pearl Harbor was having some huge sales on their toys leading into Christmas. Last week it was 33% off anything Mattel, Hasbro, and some other smaller lines. That's when I first noticed the Pit there. I had been on the fence about getting one, and the price tag was always the thing keeping me from getting one. Well, they had reduced them to the low, low price of $113. With the discount, they were coming out to about $70-$80. While that was indeed a good price, I just couldn't swing it at the time. I'm glad I waited. This week, all of the reduced price toys were marked down an additional 50% off the reduced price. So, now it was only $57. That's less than a new video game these days, so I had to pounce on it.

Having opened it up, put it together, and spent 2 hours applying stickers, I felt like a kid all over again. This toy really rocks. I really had my doubts before, but it turns out they were for nothing. There is hours of play to be had out of that thing. I'd love to snap a few pics, but after spending all that time getting it set up, it's after midnight and I need some sleep. But I will try to get some tomorrow. Until then, if you have a chance to get one of these for a good deal, don't pass it up. It is well worth it.

I would be tempted to grab one for that price. If any lower (than say $50) it'd be a no brainer! :)

After getting it, I would say it's well worth $75-$80 easily. The current $100+ price is a bit much though. I really love this toy. My only gripe came with the amount of stickers I had to apply. I don't know who it was that said they wished we could apply our own stickers, but after those two hours, I was wishing for pre-applied stickers. And if you have bigger hands, it is an even bigger pain. Find yourself a kid with small fingers to help you.

After getting it, I would say it's well worth $75-$80 easily. The current $100+ price is a bit much though. I really love this toy. My only gripe came with the amount of stickers I had to apply. I don't know who it was that said they wished we could apply our own stickers, but after those two hours, I was wishing for pre-applied stickers. And if you have bigger hands, it is an even bigger pain. Find yourself a kid with small fingers to help you.

ewww..I dunno about that? ^_^

I remember putting together the TerrorDrome fresh out of the box, and after hours of putting it together, the hours spent placing the stickers on it and doing it with great care and perfection? It was really fun for me, but I always got into the models as a kid, so it brought me back to those times. For the stickers, I always implemented the use of a pair of tweezers and a paint brush (rounded end) to apply the small ones. I was always anal about them being straight.

I remember putting together the TerrorDrome fresh out of the box, and after hours of putting it together, the hours spent placing the stickers on it and doing it with great care and perfection? It was really fun for me, but I always got into the models as a kid, so it brought me back to those times. For the stickers, I always implemented the use of a pair of tweezers and a paint brush (rounded end) to apply the small ones. I was always anal about them being straight.

Me too.....that was the part of the toys I enjoyed the most--the assembly, and placing the stickers on. The new stuff has lost most of that.

Me too.....that was the part of the toys I enjoyed the most--the assembly, and placing the stickers on. The new stuff has lost most of that.

Yep! It's like adding a personal touch and if one wants to be creative and change up the decals a little bit, they have that option. Seems that having a child learn how to read instructions is kind of educational as well? You young guys that grew up with the ARAH toys in the 80's...did you do your own assembly and decal placement or did Dad do some of it?

I can see your point, and I was all excited to do it too. At least when I started. But after about the 40th 'NO STEP' and 'double red triangle' sticker, it started to get to me. A lot of the sticker placement on this set seemed pointless. And I don't know if I got a later model, but the sticker sheet they show in the instructions is different than the one I got, and I ended up with more leftover stickers. No big deal, I'm sure I'll make use of them on customs. But overall, that experience didn't take away from the toy at all. I still really enjoy it. The assembly was a snap for such a large vehicle. Took maybe 5 minutes. I just really like this toy. Maybe it's because I never had the larger toy sets as a kid. I never had the MCC. I never had a Terror Dome or Flagg. So, maybe that has something to do with it. I'm just glad I got a great deal on it. Now maybe I'll go back and see if they have that big Star Wars tank thing still on clearance, and I can customize that for my Cobra.

^_^ Yeah, i haven't done anything like that (assembling a large vehicle/playset or applying decals) in quite a long time, so with my failing eyesight and dry bones, I might find it more of a chore these days, myself?

I saw this posted yesterday on www.generalsjoes.com for those of you still looking for the Pit at a good price. It looks like Kohl's is having a 50% off sale for the Pit. There are also two promotional codes NOCHARGE and EXTRA20 to get free shipping and 20% off your online purchase. That means you can get the Pit for $47.99 plus tax shipped to your home. Hope this helps and sorry if this was already mentioned.

PharmV