Let's talk sports

hamsterboy

Time for some baseball news. Johnny Damon and Manny are both going to Tampa Bay.

That would be great news for any team 10 years ago. They have given away way too much of their young talent this offseason. I guess they hope that these big name veterans can sell tickets, since having a winning team that was competing for a pennant couldn't sell tickets last year.

I saw this story on ESPN. Thought it was worth discussion:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6057094

Excerpt:

"HARTFORD, Conn. -- A major benefactor to the University of Connecticut wants the school to return $3 million in donations and remove his family name from its football complex because he says he was shut out of discussions about the selection of a new football coach.

Robert Burton, chief executive officer of Greenwich, Conn.-based Burton Capital Management, said in a Jan. 19 letter to UConn athletic director Jeff Hathaway that his opinions were ignored and he did not support the way Paul Pasqualoni was selected as coach.

Burton called the situation "a slap in the face and embarrassment to my family," and said he planned "to let the correct people know that you did not listen to your number one football donor." He called the search process flawed."

Personally I think this guys a jackass. Unless it was agreed upon that he would have some sort of say in the hiring of the football coach he should shut his mouth.

Time for some baseball news. Johnny Damon and Manny are both going to Tampa Bay.

That would be great news for any team 10 years ago. They have given away way too much of their young talent this offseason. I guess they hope that these big name veterans can sell tickets, since having a winning team that was competing for a pennant couldn't sell tickets last year.

Manny and Damon remind me of the good ol days when being a Red Sox fan used to mean something.

I saw this story on ESPN. Thought it was worth discussion:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6057094

Excerpt:

"HARTFORD, Conn. -- A major benefactor to the University of Connecticut wants the school to return $3 million in donations and remove his family name from its football complex because he says he was shut out of discussions about the selection of a new football coach.

Robert Burton, chief executive officer of Greenwich, Conn.-based Burton Capital Management, said in a Jan. 19 letter to UConn athletic director Jeff Hathaway that his opinions were ignored and he did not support the way Paul Pasqualoni was selected as coach.

Burton called the situation "a slap in the face and embarrassment to my family," and said he planned "to let the correct people know that you did not listen to your number one football donor." He called the search process flawed."

Personally I think this guys a jackass. Unless it was agreed upon that he would have some sort of say in the hiring of the football coach he should shut his mouth.

He is a jackass for asking for his money back, but traditionally Boosters do have input into the programs, especially when they donate big bucks into the program. The amount of money he put into this program over the years is small change compared to some schools that have traditional powerhouse programs like Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Florida State, Texas, and most of the SEC. He is justified to be upset if he feels the UConn program is taking a step backwards with their new coaching hire, but he shouldn't ask for the money back. It was a donation, not a loan.

I was flipping through the channels this afternoon and stopped at Headline News. They were talking about some girls basketball game were the final score was 108-3. Of course, they're blaming the winning team."They shouldn't run up the score like that" So it's their fault the other team stinks?

So Albert Pujols wants to sign a 10 year contract for $275 million and says he will deny any trade the Cardinals try to offer if a contract can't get done. Wow, nice way to hold your team hostage during the initial phases of trying to work out a contract extension.

So Albert Pujols wants to sign a 10 year contract for $275 million and says he will deny any trade the Cardinals try to offer if a contract can't get done. Wow, nice way to hold your team hostage during the initial phases of trying to work out a contract extension.

I wonder if the Cardinals should have tried to trade him last year. I don't know if he has a NTC in his current contract, but his 10-5 rights are probably why he's able to say no to trades this season.

Either way, this seems like a dick move, and these baseball contracts are getting ridiculous.

Who does Carmelo Anthony go to-Lakers or Knicks?

I think the only way he goes to LA is if they get an extension worked prior to. I think he wants to go to the Knicks after this season because they still have all of that salary-cap money that they failed to use last year in the LaBron-Wade-Bosh circus.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like 'Melo and Billups are going to New York to join Stoudemire. That could be interesting, but I don't see Carmelo and Stoudemire fitting very well together for some reason.

Who else thinks Joe Torre will eventually become commish?

I don't know if he will eventually become commissioner because of his age and Selig hasn't really shown any inclination to step down. It is always good to have baseball people like Torre involved in the running of the game.