DC Retro Action = Big Jim

Newton

It took a little help from my friends, but I finally figured out why the "new" DC Retro Action Heroes looked familiar to me. These "new" figures use old parts, or at least retools of old parts. It seems as if Mattel is following the same formula that helped launch Masters of the Universe 20 years ago, use old Big Jim parts to make new toys. But it's baffling that they'd try to pull this in this day and age. Is Mattel really using Big Jim as the basis for their new Mattelgo line? You be the judge.

4187432478_bda7a93a88.jpg

Infinite Hollywood: DC Retro Action = Big Jim

Thanks for reading.

There's enough small difference between both figures that "re-use" isn't a completely fair claim.

The legs are VERY close though, but the torso and arms are very different.

One thing though, the Big Jim body remains one of the best balanced action figure armatures ever made. No other manufacturer since has been able to make that claim. It might be retro--but its is still very functional to this day.

I also hope this is a prelude to a all new Big Jim line. I'm a hopeless Big Jim mark, so I'd be all over a new sports/adventure line like a dirty shirt!

So mattel is reusing old parts. what else is new?? As for them using an "old" figure design as the basis of these "new" figures, I'm pretty sure thats why they used the term "retro".

Right, but it's supposed to be retro Mego, not retro Big Jim.

Anyway the reuse is more in the molds and designs than actual parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, Jim Sena, President of SphereWerx partners with EMCE Toys stopped by to clear up some stuff about the Big Jim base body for Mattel's new Retro-Action figures and I thought you guys might like to read it. He confirms that Mattel did indeeed retool the Big Jim body for the figure line, but that they are working to further seperate the two bodies to be different with improvements in Wave 2 as well as some tweaks they made internally on the original base. He's very candid and honest and helps give us a little more insight into the whole process so far. As you know, they are continuing to improve the body as time goes on as well.

Check it out: Retro-Action & Big Jim: Part 2

I could have gone the rest of my life without seeing a naked Green Arrow.