DC Universe Classic Wave 13 Figures

synch

There is a lot of disdain for this Wave, I think it comes from moderate DC fans. To be honest the only figure I am least interested in is Trigon, never liked him (I hate Satan type characters)

Yeah. This wave is getting a lot of flak. There's been some nose-holding with at least one figure in each wave, but in this case, the figures that I do want.... and there's FOUR of them (Cheetah, Wonder Girl, Negative Man and Blue Devil).... I REALLY want. Those that I don't (Cyclotron, Superboy, and Blue Beetle), I really, really don't. All in all, since I'm strongly on board for four out of the seven, I have to give the wave a thumb's up.

I remember being far more unimpressed by this line's inaugural wave. Orion? The Demon? Yawn! You know you're in trouble when your big villain is the Penguin (whom I always suspected was just an easy carry-over from the DCSH line.)

I can't wait for this wave.

No doubt I will buy all of them.

Then again, I am a hardcore DC fan.

Blue Devil looks awesome!

Donna Troy looks awesome!

Superboy? AWESOME!

Negative Man is a must for me. I love Doom Patrol.

Blue Beetle is a great looking figure.

Cyclotron is a must for nostalgic reasons.

Cheetah? How can I say no?

On the variant side of things, I will probably skip the Negative Man variant but not the Cheetah variant.

Blue Devil is stupid in every way. A powerplay by Mattel because you need to get him for the C&C part. I hate it when they do that: Demon, Big Barda, Forager, Superman & Batman repaints, etc...

I remember being far more unimpressed by this line's inaugural wave. Orion? The Demon? Yawn! You know you're in trouble when your big villain is the Penguin (whom I always suspected was just an easy carry-over from the DCSH line.)

Geez, am I the only one who thinks Demon is one of the top ten figures in the line so far? I thought he was much cooler than Metamorpho's arm.

And, I dunno, I remember people complaining like this about all the waves. Wave 1 definitely, but also Wave 4, Wave 6(and admittedly those two waves have sat the longest), Wave 8, Wave 9, Wave 10, lots of people said were too obscure, I even remember people complaining that Booster Gold and Blue Beetle were too obscure in Wave 7.

To be honest, I don't see the problem. Superboy comes from one of the biggest comic events of all time, Wonder Girl is a classic Titan, Cheetah is Wonder Woman's archnemesis, Blue Beetle has been featured in Batman: Brave and the Bold and seems to be selling well in that line, even getting his own vehicle. Cyclotron and Blue Devil are obscure, but not any moreso than Iron, Copperhead, or plenty of the characters we've gotten so far.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thrilled with this wave! I'm particularly impressed that there are 2 female characters (and one of them has a variant)! I was hoping that there would be a Trigon C&C when Raven won the fan poll, but I didn't expect to get him before her. I'm very happy that there is a Negative Man! I was so sad when the Bandai Teen Titans line was canceled before the Doom Patrol was released...jumped on the JLU figures, but to have Larry (and Cliff) in the DCUC line is terrific! I'm happy with Blue Devil (just wish it weren't so soon after the DCDirect version), Blue Beetle and Superboy. Cyclotron is the only clunker, but I love my Super Powers figures so I'll be happy to have him too!

And, Mr. Mustard, I'm guessing that it'll be one Superboy per case, but I could be wrong.

Well with most waves I go into it thinking I'll only get three or four of them, and I end up buying six or all of them once I see them in person because I'm an obsessive nut.

Right now, my musts are:

Classic Cheetah (for my Legion of Doom)

Modern Cheetah (sculpted/designed really well)

Superboy (loved the initial storyline with all the different incarnations of Supermen)

Wonder Girl (for my Teen Titans, and LOVE the design of the figure... the women in DCUC are consistently so much more attractive than the women of Marvel Legends)

I have never seen the aesthetic appeal of the Blue Devil character, HATE the look of this Blue Beetle (classic for me, all the way), and Cyclotron I may end up getting because of Super Powers, but that'll be if/when I see it in person. Negative Man is nothing to me, so that's a definite "no" on my list.

(the women in DCUC are consistently so much more attractive than the women of Marvel Legends)

I will say that they are very consistent to being as good looking to the rest of the DCUC females, while ML has bad and good, but i think the good ML females are still better looking then the DCUC gals.

As for that wave, i wouldn't mind Blue Beetle(liked the suit on Batman TB&TB) Superboy myself.

As for Cheeta i'm not sure...modern looks nice but classic is classic, but then again not exactly what i remember her looking like in super friends.

• 4 weeks later...

Forget the costume , Blue Beetle has DOUBLE hinged elbows and DOUBLE hinged knees!!!!!! Did anyone notice that!?!? Could this be the beginning of double hinged articulated figs??? The horsemen already sculpted females with double articulation, with their fantasy line, why couldn´t mattel invest in something like that?

• Like 1

Forget the costume , Blue Beetle has DOUBLE hinged elbows and DOUBLE hinged knees!!!!!! Did anyone notice that!?!? Could this be the beginning of double hinged articulated figs??? The horsemen already sculpted females with double articulation, with their fantasy line, why couldn´t mattel invest in something like that?

good catch! that would be a nice update. although it would make me somewhat conflicted that the vast majority of my collection doesn't have the double-hinged joints, while the new ones do.

I must admit, Wave 13 is one of the least wanted waves, for me at least. Quick background for me...I grew up on the comics of the 60's and 70's, and I think the 80's saw a sharp decline. Very little I enjoyed towards the end of the 80's, and as for the 90's and beyond, I consider most of it junk. So "modern" (defined as after the 80's) characters or character changes don't appeal to me at all. Thus, I find the Superboy with leather jacket and sunglasses to be ridiculous. Blue Devil is a cool looking character, but sorta outside my frame of reference, so I'm not too keen on him. Cheetah is boring to me, and I can live without the variant, which I like even less. Wonder Girl is cool, just not sure I want a Teen Titans aspect to my collection. Trigon to me is a boring character and not worth getting. I like Negative Man, and I used to like the Doom Patrol, so I may get him. Cyclotron looks cool, but I never liked the character since he was essentially made up for the Super Powers line and I hated his origin and powers on the card. But I have to admit, I love my obscure characters and he's growing on me. Blue Beetle's new costume rocks, but I'm not too excited to get him. So for me, it's a weak wave.

I prefer the real classics, so for me Wave 12 is one, if not the, best yet. Darkseid, Mary Marvel, Desaad, Spectre, Dr. Midnite, Eclipso...all top choices for me, with Darkseid and Spectre being two of my all time favorite characters. Iron was ok, just not a huge Metal Men fan. And the only really unwanted character for me was Copperhead. So I hope we have more waves like that one!